Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > OSX games aren't competitive.

OSX games aren't competitive.
Mr_Frost
Apr 22, 2001, 08:17 AM

Am I the only one that feels this way.
All the games that are actually worth playing don't have a high score to beat. They aren't playible online...etc.
It might just be that I am looking at the wrong games here but I really need to be able to beat myself over and over again. Guess it'll hold up my ego..hehe
No really...does anyone know of good OSX games that keep track of high scores or even better that are playable online?

Arcayx
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2001, 11:59 AM

Qube!
Well, at least I know it keeps track of -my- high scores.
I got it from www.versiontracker.com just last night.
(its kinda like a mutated form of tetris)
You might be looking for something a little more complex.

------------------
-Cogito, Ego, Sum
-Cogito, Ergo, Sum

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2001, 03:02 AM

Have you tried Mega Mine Sweeper. I bet you will never be able to finish a game of crazy, and if you want to beat your own score you are fully welcome to. Also try out, Cow Catcher Game, it is probably more of what you would like and it is quite fun also. Keeps your score, but there is not much to both of these game. It all depends on what kind of a gamer you are.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Gorilla in the Shell
May 8, 2001, 03:31 AM

He's right though. Even if it's not a he "L".

OS X needs some games besides quake, deus ex and pc crossovers as good as they can be. They need to do what sony did with the playstation and just find it's own software developers while taking from the pc market once in a while. more games = a bigger audience. the iMac as well as the iBook should
have the audience by now to port these games. Apple shouldn't have to sell
out and make a "x box". should be able to use its current computers to further its games.

the problem is most of the programmers own pc's. they dont really appreciate the macintosh and would rather just have little support for it.
and another thing, do you want to play solitaire like pc users everyday?

Mr_Frost
May 8, 2001, 10:49 AM

He's right though. Even if it's not a he "L".
whatya mean by that??????????

godzappa
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2001, 12:10 PM

Multiplayer - Online - High Scores etc will all be major parts of Monsters At My City. Check it out, we are trying to get an idea on how many people who own macs would like to see the game on OSX, so head over and let us know in the Forums (the thread is under the Monsters folder): http://monsters.z-team.com/

[This message has been edited by godzappa (edited 05-08-2001).]
PowerMac G4 DP867 [DDR]
PowerMac G4 400 [Yikes]
15GB iPod 3G
iSight
2003 MINI Cooper

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2001, 12:18 PM

We've gone for a more 'strange' approach in Bushfire. The game records your fastest times to complete each level and writes out a html file that you can post on your homepage to brag about your best times
www.strangeflavour.com
Aaron

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 04:51 PM

I really cant play OS X games. I don't have Rage Pro support . Drivers better come soon.

------------------

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2001, 10:50 PM

Why don't you just make up a high score to beat? That way you will have a nice goal to aim towards in your game playing, and you will feel like a champion after besting that high score.

I suggest the following: Play the game a few times to get warmed up. Write down your score. Now, multiply that score by 1.5. This will give you a score that is 150% better than the one you just achieved. Use this as the new "high score" that you need to beat.

It doesn't have to be 150%, but try to make it reasonable, or else you will get really frustrated and it won't be fun. The conversion factor must emulate a true player, so if you are a beginner, it is very likely that a veteran will be 150% of a better man than you. But if you are a seasoned player, use a factor of like 110%...so when you beat it you're being 110% of all you can be.

I think you'll find that this is a very satisfying system to use. The greatest part about it is that you can change the conversion factor any time you like! So if you're having a bad day, use a low factor so you can beat the high score and feel like a winner!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Forum Links
Forum Rules