Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TrackPad slows to a crawl on 17" 1.67Mhz

TrackPad slows to a crawl on 17" 1.67Mhz
yminoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 02:04 AM

Hello,
I have a stock 17" 1.67 Powerbook. I bought it about a week ago. The touchpad will come to an absolute crawl..that it is unusable. I have not been able to test by plugging a USB mouse since I don't own one. I disabled all options for the trackpad and adjusted settings scrolling and such. I even did a reboot and did not fix it. I walked away frustrated and came back 20 minutes later. It was fine again. I think it might be a software issue since the new scroll features were just added. Do you agree? Or should I take to the Apple Store and have someone look at it? Thanks for the advice.

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2005, 03:19 AM

It is a common issue discussed around the web.

More likely to be a hardware issue, since (1) initially Apple was exchanging such defective PBs and (2) trackpad in new PBs although looks the same as previous revision PBs is no longer made by Synaptics.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 03:56 AM

Mine got stuck twice since I got the laptop. one thing I noticed the second time was that when it got stuck, it appears to have gotten stuck in scroll mode, as moving my finger on the trackpad just made my browser window scroll up and down. It went away after about ten seconds, and I have yet to see it again.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by Stratus Fear:
Mine got stuck twice since I got the laptop. one thing I noticed the second time was that when it got stuck, it appears to have gotten stuck in scroll mode, as moving my finger on the trackpad just made my browser window scroll up and down. It went away after about ten seconds, and I have yet to see it again.
Yes I've experienced this:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=246868

Mine is 15" 1.67ghz.

yminoh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 06:20 AM

Ok. I have looked around on the web and others are experiencing this issue. I will try and go to my nearest Apple Store tomorrow. I really don't want to take it back :-( but I just paid a huge amount for something that is defective. Maybe I'll go for an iBook?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by yminoh:
Ok. I have looked around on the web and others are experiencing this issue. I will try and go to my nearest Apple Store tomorrow. I really don't want to take it back :-( but I just paid a huge amount for something that is defective. Maybe I'll go for an iBook?
I wouldn't give up on Powerbooks that quick... everyone has bad luck once in a while.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 12:05 PM

I'm suspecting it might be a driver problem. If more people can confirm they're experiencing the same thing, then it's more likely a software-related problem (otherwise we can expect a recall from Apple?).

But anyways, yminoh, if you decide to take it back to Apple Store, please let us know how they react to the problem. Thanks a lot.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
It is a common issue discussed around the web.

More likely to be a hardware issue, since (1) initially Apple was exchanging such defective PBs and (2) trackpad in new PBs although looks the same as previous revision PBs is no longer made by Synaptics.
wunderkind, could you give a pointer or two where folks are discussing this? Also, you said "initially Apple was exchanging such defective PBs..." - did you imply they're no longer doing so? If so, what's the reason?

Thanks!

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
wunderkind, could you give a pointer or two where folks are discussing this? Also, you said "initially Apple was exchanging such defective PBs..." - did you imply they're no longer doing so? If so, what's the reason?

Thanks!
Ok I found one useful article here:

http://www.pbzone.com/trackpadfaq.shtml

ncsurfer
Feb 27, 2005, 02:08 PM

I haven't had any problems with the trackpad freezing but I feel that mine is over sensitive. I have tried adjusting it and whenever I tap the trackpad it moves a little and I miss the link or icon. At first I thought it was me but I think it is a driver problem.
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

yminoh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 09:48 PM

Hi Everyone,
I was not able to make it today to the Apple Store. Tomorrow for sure. I will definitely provide the Apple Store's response once I return home.
I am able to duplicate the problem. If you rub your feet on the floor while wearing socks, then try to use your trackbpad, it becomes unresponsive.
I really hope they exchange it out right there. I'll do a backup tonight.
Finger Crossed.
( Last edited by yminoh; Feb 27, 2005 at 10:15 PM. )

yminoh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 05:10 PM

Just walked in the door....

First, let me say that I am a mac zealot but after my experience today, I am no more.

I went into the Apple and walked back to the Genius Bar. The Genius called up a Tech.
The Tech arrived and I said hi and introduced myself. He said nothing. I tried to joke and make light of the situation. He didn't reply at all and then just "commanded me to open it." I was a little taken aback but ok, I'll open it, he'll look at it and get the ball rolling. I opened it up and gave it to him. He asked me if it was on. I gave him a very confused look b/c obviously it wasn't. How could a Tech not know if it was on/off or wake/asleep? I answered him no, it isn't on. He then verified that the trackpad was not working. He asked me if I reinstalled the correct OS. I said yes, with the cd that came with it. He replied, "oh....". He made a phone call and verified something from the system profiler. 30 minutes into this.....he got off the phone, said that it needs repaired. I explained that it was still in the two week window for return...hoping that he would just let me swap it. He asked what that was....I had to explain the two week return policy to him. He said no, couldn't do that. So then he started entering info into the working PB he had...and I asked what he thought was wrong. He said it needs repaired. I explained I understood that...and then he said the whole top half needs replaced. I was like ok...I told him that I noticed when I was at home working on it and a static charge was built up, it would stop working....he was like that's real smart. You don't want to build up a static charge. I thought to myself, if I own this PB 17 inch, I will have to remove the carpet from the house...no more socks, etc, etc. I responed with, I don't think that is an excuse for Apple selling me a defective product. I spent almsot 3k on this and it doesn't work...and you are making me feel like it was my fault. He never said a word after that...just printed off forms which I signed and I left.

My heart was broken. The company I loved just treated me sooo bad. I walked in a loyal customer and left less like a human. I think I will talk to the store Mgr when I pick it up.
( Last edited by yminoh; Mar 1, 2005 at 05:35 PM. )

MichaelSullivan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2005, 12:01 AM

The apple warranty (http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/hardware.html) is somewhat dissapointing. It clearly states that they can choose to repair, replace, or refund in the case of hardware defects.

From the warranty:

" If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option, Apple will either (1) repair the hardware defect at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, or (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of the product. "

I just ordered a 15" PB from the AppleStore online, and I'm not looking forward to dealing with errant trackpads or dead pixels.
( Last edited by MichaelSullivan; Mar 4, 2005 at 12:12 AM. )

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2005, 08:57 PM

Same problem for me too. Grrr.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

OpenStep
Senior User
Mar 4, 2005, 10:31 PM

Just dropped $3500 on a 12" PowerBook and a 15" PowerBook for my company at the Apple Store in NH and they both have piss poor trackpads. I'm going to bring them back tomorrow and first politely ask that they be exchanged and not repaired. I'm not going to let Apple repair a less than 24 hour old PB that wasn't right the second it came from the box. I can already tell this is going to be a mess... one of the exec's at my company was having a real hell of a time trying to use the new trackpad compared to the one on his previous PC laptop. Apple is probably going to say it's some "within spec" BS and claim nothing is wrong. I'll post an update tomorrow after I take a trip to the store.

yminoh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2005, 12:07 AM

Hi all,

I got my PB back today. Earlier that I expected so it made for a great Friday. Trackpad is soooo much better. I can really tell a difference.

I did the static charge test and passed. Whew....

Of course, now I am looking for the screen to go bad or something else ;-)

javadesigner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2005, 12:50 AM

Hi all,

I got my PB back today. Earlier that I expected so it made for a great Friday. Trackpad is soooo much better. I can really tell a difference.

I did the static charge test and passed. Whew....

Of course, now I am looking for the screen to go bad or something else ;-)
I'm curious: which apple store location did you
have the bad experience in (with the tech) ?

yminoh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2005, 01:45 AM

Heya,
It was at the Columbus Apple Store and I think his name was Will. He never told his name....but that is what I think someone call him.

javadesigner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2005, 05:01 PM

Heya,
It was at the Columbus Apple Store and I think his name was Will. He never told his name....but that is what I think someone call him.
Hmm. I had a similar experience (no-smile unfriendly techs
with attitude) at another apple store. Send an email
to steve jobs saying exactly what you said here. I did
and was surprised that apple actually got back to me(
no, not steve but someone else at apple, but impressive
none the less). His email is [email protected] but you
can google it to make sure.

You need to let apple know whenever a few bad apples
(hah) spoil your experience. It is not acceptable and
apple knows and does not want it to be acceptable....

Let them know.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Mar 11, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
I'm suspecting it might be a driver problem. If more people can confirm they're experiencing the same thing, then it's more likely a software-related problem (otherwise we can expect a recall from Apple?).

But anyways, yminoh, if you decide to take it back to Apple Store, please let us know how they react to the problem. Thanks a lot.
Looks like they are aware of the problem:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=948

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 07:54 PM

hey guys,

seriously... anyone who has bad experiences with any apple tech or sales rep should call apples customer relations line. The way to deal with a nasty customer is in a way that minimises friction when you are face to face with them but also hardline regarding your issue. You then involve a third party (apples customer relations) to deal with the attitude situation.

Everyone who knows anything about apple products knows of the initial return period and for a supplier to then turn around and deny that is unnacceptable. they are denying your rights as a customer and misrepresenting apple. Apple will bitch slap them if ya let them know lol.

but yeah.. still you will always get some person who is a complete tosser. Just keep your wits and not get heated... I had a situation with tech/sales person for apple and i called apple and got it all sorted cleanly. They treated me a whole bunch better than they did before lol.

cheers,
rob.

yminoh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 06:20 AM

Trackpad is screwing up again!!!!

Called Apple Tech Support. Level 2 Tech informed me that "returning it for a repair is not an option since it hadn't resolved the issue in the first place. Apple is aware of the situation and his advice was to touch something to discharge the static electricity or he advised that the new trackpads can be reset by holding one hand over the trackpad, touching it, for about two seconds." For me this does not avert the problem, but it does seem to result in a quicker return to normal operations. Ugh!

OpenStep
Senior User
Mar 13, 2005, 10:04 AM

I ended up bringing my 15" back and exchanging it for a 12". All i can say is the new system is AWESOME. Apple simply must have sold more 12" PowerBooks and was able to flush out the retail channel with refreshed units quicker. The genius I dealed with was professional and wouldn't admit the problem but exchanged it with zero arguing or anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules