Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New BIGFOOT™ Video

New BIGFOOT™ Video
pman68
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 01:59 PM

Whoa. I'm convinced now. The scientific community can't possibly refute this evidence [ end sarcasm ].

BIGFOOT

I guess they have some hair samples too. Probably grizzly...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 02:13 PM

Jesus Christ on a stick. A casual lookup on the internet would have revealed that the man who helped create the video in 1958 (or 56 as they say in the "story") and INVENTED Bigfoot died three years ago.

"The fact is there was no Bigfoot in popular consciousness before 1958.
America got its own monster, its own Abominable Snowman, thanks to Ray
Wallace," Mark Chorvinsky, editor of Strange magazine, told The Seattle
Times.
Guy in a monkey suit creates a national farce that refuse to dies even after admitting it to the hoax on his deathbed. Gullibility truly isn't in any dictionary!

osxisfun
May 22, 2005, 02:15 PM

I agree erik but this is America 2005. We believe anything....(unfortunately.)

brapper
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 02:46 PM

attract bigfoot with a trashy girl named "jailbait"

solid plan.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 12:57 AM

Eh... the video is nothing - that was just me walking around without a shirt on, again.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 04:29 AM

Wow - so this guy who admitted to faking it was doing it, like, two or three hundred years ago ? No ? Well how do you explain the widespread American Indian legends about this creature ? (No, legends are not just made up - they are all based on some real experience somewhere along the line).

Wallace - the guy to whom you are referring - was a publicity seeker who attempted, and failed, to fake some bigfoot sightings. Really, what is more unlikely - that one man managed to fake thousands and thousands of sightings right across the USA and Canada, in remote wilderness areas, in all weathers, at all times of day and mostly night, with physical characteristics that would put olympic athletes to shame, with just a 'monkey suit' and a couple of wooden feet - OR - that a large primate exists, largely undiscovered, in the hundreds of thousands of square miles of wilderness in the US ??

Just last week a new species of monkey was discovered - and there have been sightings of a new species of Chimp in Africa too. Guys, you've got to approach this with an open mind. Forget all the negative anti-propoganda that abounds, and ask the people who've lived in the USA a few thousands years longer than the white settlers ! They know that the bigfoot is a real species, and very much alive.

Have a read of some of the reports on www.bfro.net - tell me that Wallace faked them all. Tell me that Wallace faked ANY of them.

It's unfortunate that with things like this it's all too easy for some kook to claim he invented the whole thing. People are very sceptical when it comes to something like bigfoot, but they are all too ready to believe the conspiracy theories - even ones that don't begin to hold water. I can't believe that some people honestly believe that America faked the moon landings !! The greatest achievement of the modern world, and some loon comes up with a half-baked conspiracy theory and people actually take it seriously !!
( Last edited by Gee4orce; May 23, 2005 at 04:36 AM. )

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 04:35 AM

[oops]

sideus
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 05:47 AM

I've seen it.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 07:05 AM

i'd ___________ it!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2005, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Wow - so this guy who admitted to faking it was doing it, like, two or three hundred years ago ? No ? Well how do you explain the widespread American Indian legends about this creature ? (No, legends are not just made up - they are all based on some real experience somewhere along the line).
Legends are not just made up *snort* You crack me up buddy! I guess that rules out fiction too. The matrix really exist!

"The fact is there was no Bigfoot in popular consciousness before 1958.
America got its own monster, its own Abominable Snowman, thanks to Ray
Wallace," Mark Chorvinsky, editor of Strange magazine, told The Seattle
Times.
Jeff Meldrum, an associate professor of anatomy and anthropology at
Idaho State University, says he has casts of 40 to 50 footprints he
believes were made by authentic unknown primates.

"To suggest all these are explained by simple carved feet strapped to
boots just doesn't wash," Meldrum said, noting 19th century accounts of
such a creature.

Chorvinsky says those early reports were mistakes, myths or hoaxes.
Of course we haven't discovered each and every specie on the planet, but the chance of some giant primate having eluded us all these years are stunningly small.

It all boils down to this: People want to believe.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 08:25 AM

New Fakeness!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 23, 2005, 09:07 AM

No, legends are not just made up - they are all based on some real experience somewhere along the line
Uh, no.

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
i'd ___ it!
Fixinated.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Legends are not just made up *snort* You crack me up buddy! I guess that rules out fiction too. The matrix really exist!
Please, point me the the American Indian legend of Neo, Morpheus and the Matrix ?

Legends are not the same things as fiction, especially when dealing with 'primitive' peoples. The Indian legend of the Thunderbird for example, which shakes the ground and causes even the seas to be troubled, has been linked with the probable 'megathrust' earthquake of the Cascadia fault, some 300 years ago. The legends surrounding bigfoots, Sasketch or the Windigo are all remarkably similar to each other, and to modern-day sightings. Go read a few, and then compare to modern-day sightings.

Sure, people want to believe. But even more than that, they want to believe that they live in a safe, known world which we can understand and explain. That's why the majority of people refuse the accept the simplest explanation for the multiple, corroborating sightings - that these things really exist.

Really, it's not that difficult for a large, intelligent, nocturnal animal to (mostly) avoid detection in the thousands of square miles of unpopulated forest. There are tribes in Indonesia and the Amazon that have been contacted once, and then vanished.

You guys crack me up - you've got the last great discovery of science stalking around in your back yards, and you're too cynical to even go look for it. At the very least, you should look at the commercial potential of getting some footage. A few seconds of decent quality film and you'd make millions.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 23, 2005, 09:19 AM

OK Gee4orce, you've convinced me.

[/sarcasm]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2005, 09:50 AM

Please, point me the the American Indian legend of Neo, Morpheus and the Matrix ?

Legends are not the same things as fiction, especially when dealing with 'primitive' peoples. .
Oh I get it. The more primitive the legends, the more true they are. I wonder when the art of storytelling started. Where's the cutoff-line? Because that Hercules was surely a legendary man.

It's also good to know that the book I just finished collecting THE earliest storytelling known to man, the legends of the aboriginal dreamtime are also the truth. Bird gods, giant snakes and spirits and what not. It must be true. It's primitive!

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 10:51 AM

Legends are not the same things as fiction, especially when dealing with 'primitive' peoples. The Indian legend of the Thunderbird for example, which shakes the ground and causes even the seas to be troubled, has been linked with the probable 'megathrust' earthquake of the Cascadia fault, some 300 years ago. The legends surrounding bigfoots, Sasketch or the Windigo are all remarkably similar to each other, and to modern-day sightings. Go read a few, and then compare to modern-day sightings.

Sure, people want to believe. But even more than that, they want to believe that they live in a safe, known world which we can understand and explain. That's why the majority of people refuse the accept the simplest explanation for the multiple, corroborating sightings - that these things really exist.

Really, it's not that difficult for a large, intelligent, nocturnal animal to (mostly) avoid detection in the thousands of square miles of unpopulated forest. There are tribes in Indonesia and the Amazon that have been contacted once, and then vanished.

You guys crack me up - you've got the last great discovery of science stalking around in your back yards, and you're too cynical to even go look for it. At the very least, you should look at the commercial potential of getting some footage. A few seconds of decent quality film and you'd make millions.
The chance of finding a large, probably non-nocturnal, primate are fairly large. First of all there have got to be a hell of a lot of them since to my knowledge nothing of that sort travels the vast distances needed to make all these sightings true. The other thing I have a hard time with is an extremely shy massive primate. Most large, intelligent, animals can easily figure that a moron with a camera is something invading your territory, something rather easy to take care of. Nope, apparently old BigFoot is a shy species not even prone to the aggression a tiny monkey will show. Even Wendigo seems to have been a flesh-eater.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 11:48 AM

Other than the fact that it was shot on my birthday, I'm not impress. Shaky blurry undetailed shots of a dude in a Wookie custume never made it for me.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
May 23, 2005, 12:00 PM

I didn't have the patients to wait for that crappy video. I'll take everyone's word for it. Crap, just like the rest of the 'caught on video' scams.

I like the web site though!
http://www.bfro.net/

Talk about promotions and creating a cottage industry!
I remember watching a show on this fellow who moved around often in the 60's working construction, and he and his brother made these faux foot prints. They tied a rope to a pickup and had it pull them forcing them to take very long strides and make it believable. They also were weighted down so the impressions were real looking. He traveled all over the USA doing this. He was even behind a staged video, and probably one of the most popular. They paid some guy $50 to dress up and walk around the forest, and the fellow just came out and told the truth of the story...

There is no Abominable Snowman or Big Foot.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2005, 12:41 PM

The video is not playing, so it CAN'T be true...

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
I agree erik but this is America 2005.
Bigfoot, Iraqi WMDs... hey, whatever gets you on the news.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

budster101
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 05:06 PM

olePigeon, can't leave the political discussion in the PL eh?

Sad.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 05:23 PM

"I believe Bigfoot is blurry, and that,to me, is the scariest part of all."
-Mitch Hedberg

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2005, 05:34 PM

Ever notice that the only people who can capture UFOs, aliens, Nessy, and Bigfoot on video also have Parkinson's disease?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sideus
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Ever notice that the only people who can capture UFOs, aliens, Nessy, and Bigfoot on video also have Parkinson's disease?
and blurry videos/photos.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 06:07 PM

I think it sums it all up considering the guys name is "Matthew Moneymaker"

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by invisibleX
The chance of finding a large, probably non-nocturnal, primate are fairly large. First of all there have got to be a hell of a lot of them since to my knowledge nothing of that sort travels the vast distances needed to make all these sightings true. The other thing I have a hard time with is an extremely shy massive primate. Most large, intelligent, animals can easily figure that a moron with a camera is something invading your territory, something rather easy to take care of. Nope, apparently old BigFoot is a shy species not even prone to the aggression a tiny monkey will show. Even Wendigo seems to have been a flesh-eater.
The general consensus is that they are nocturnal - most sightings are chance encounters at night, and most vocalisations are heard after dark too.

The largest primate we know of so far - the gorilla - is incredibly shy and gentle. Do you find that hard to believe too ? Mountain gorillas - which used to be just a legend until recently too - are limited to a very small area of Africa, and yet even the experts that study them can have a very hard time locating them. And that's in the daylight.

The BFRO are a group of academics and experts from various fields - every report they publish is thoroughly researched. If you don't believe me, here's a simple challenge - submit a made-up report and see if you can get it published on the website.

I don't understand why people find it so hard to accept that there may be a large unknown primate in America. New large animals are being discovered all the time. Read the reports and keep and open mind.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2005, 04:59 AM

this thread sucks. needs more monster trucks.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2005, 05:26 AM

Sorry, but with technology today, even my dog could take better video than that. The only explanation is that it is purposefully blurry and shaky to mask the fact that it's a person in a suit.

Wouldn't a creature that is so human-like in physical characteristics also be a social animal? Shouldn't there be groups of them? Why is it always a lone one just wandering around?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 06:26 AM

I saw bigfoot yesterday at Harvey's ordering a salad.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Xeo
Why is it always a lone one just wandering around?
Because it would be too expensive to rent more than one suit.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 08:26 AM

Damn, and to think I ignored this thread for so long because the ™ in the title made me think it was about monster trucks.

Trickery afoot! Heh.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by joltguy
Damn, and to think I ignored this thread for so long because the ™ in the title made me think it was about monster trucks.

Trickery afoot! Heh.

You have yourself to blame.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
I saw bigfoot yesterday at Harvey's ordering a salad.
Wow, I did not know they were vegetarians...

-t

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
You have yourself to blame.
The truth hurts so much...

pman68  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 10:37 AM

I remember seeing a good video on TV once about a Bigfoot in the snow. It was pretty clear and not shaky. A group of hikers come around a corner and down on the hillside there is "tree trunk", but as they keep filming it gets up and starts walking. The best video yet. Will try and find a link.

pman68  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 10:40 AM

OK found a still pic from video:

More info here:
YETI

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by pman68

More info here:
YETI

Right. Some big guy in a black parka, from behind, 200 M away.

The idea that a gorrilla-sized primate could exist undetected in California, of all places, is patently absurd.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by joltguy

Trickery afoot! Heh.
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 03:28 PM

How many Bigfoot doe's it take to change a lightbulb?

powertrippin
Baninated
May 24, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by dlefebvre
How many Bigfoot doe's it take to change a lightbulb?
None. Bigfoots aren't afraid of the dark.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
None. Bigfoots aren't afraid of the dark.

budster101
Baninated
May 24, 2005, 03:59 PM

How many Jehovas Whitnesses does it take? Never mind. Carry on with the imaginary hairy beast discussions...

He does exist.
He does not.
Does too.
Not.
Does!
Doesn't infinity...

Just to catch you up.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
How many Jehovas Whitnesses does it take? Never mind. Carry on with the imaginary hairy beast discussions...

He does exist.
He does not.
Does too.
Not.
Does!
Doesn't infinity...

Just to catch you up.

umm..

Taste Great!!! Less Filling!!!! Taste Great!!! Less Filling!!!

You eat it with a spoon!!! No a fork!!! Spoon!!! Fork!!!! Spoon!!! Fork!!!!....

budster101
Baninated
May 24, 2005, 04:50 PM

The fun just never ends in here.

Yes it does!, No it doesn't, Yes it does, you get the idea.... :faint:

docbud
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 09:05 PM

I thought Morpheus was a Greek God

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 25, 2005, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by pman68

More info here:
YETI

The 'Snowwalker' video is a known hoax. I think it was FOX TV that did it - I'm not sure. I mean, you can tell from looking at it that's a guy in a parka....

The best footage is still the 64 Patterson film, y'know - the famous one. Despite what you might have been told, it's never been debunked. But that's a whole nuther debate.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 05:07 AM

Why don't we start with that debate? I mean, the evidence for a hoax is overwhelming! Take a look at this page from an arguably pro-bigfoot website: Strange Magazine. It has an even more in-depth investigation into claims that master ape-suitmaker and make-up artist John Chambers made the suit here.

Me? I don't care who made the suit, all I know is that there's no evidence for any primate evolution in the western hemisphere and that people love attention (and money).

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 25, 2005, 08:43 AM

I don't want to discuss the Patterson footage, again... I"m convinced it's real, if you're not then that's your luck out. IF you really want the most thorough, in-depth discussion, probably the best place to go is here.

budster101
Baninated
May 25, 2005, 12:03 PM

It's all faux.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 04:36 PM

Wait a minute, that footage is an outake of Chewbacca in Empire Strikes Back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules