Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > dual 1.42 G4 MDD or single 1.8 G5?

dual 1.42 G4 MDD or single 1.8 G5?
ViviMaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2005, 03:19 PM

right now im lookin to upgrade my computer a bit and toren between the MDD dual 1.42 or a single 1.8 g5. both are in the same price range. but wondering what will be the better buy? the dual processors will be nice in the g4 but its choked with the 167 bus speed. then the g5 has a 600 bus speed but a single 1.8 and also uses ddr3200 compared to the ddr2700 on the g4. lookin for some a lil help to get to a decision. the computer will mostly be used for gaming (mostly World of Warcraft) and personal use. as of now im using an upgraded sawtooth with a giga 2ghz processor it does very well but i really lacks in the slow ram and bus speeds which is what im lookin to gain with the new computer. thanks in advance

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2005, 03:30 PM

if you have issues with bus & memory speed with your current system i hardly believe that going to a DP-G4 will bring you what you are looking for. otoh, given the issues with the Single-1.8 i would not go that route either. i think you're better off in the long run with a DP G5 as it will keep you running well into the Intel transition and offers more value for your invested $$$ (the second CPU is only ~25% extra).
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2005, 03:57 PM

From what I've been told, the lower FSB is not as crippling as it might be on a PC. Even if it were an issue, at least both systems are DDR which is a performance & financial plus IF you intend to buy addl RAM. I would think the MDD would have a slight advantage being a dual in some tasks but I would choose the G5 as the overall better performer especially for gaming as MOST games aren't dual aware & G5 has 8X AGP, is more stylish & definately less noisy...practically silent. I'd pick the G5 but I agree with mousehouse: go for the best of both worlds & hold out for a dual G5. Your current system is by no means a dog. One final consideration is the infamous G5 freeze bug that seems to be limited to single G5s.

ViviMaster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2005, 04:24 PM

i have heard of these issues with the 1.8s but i wonder how many are actualy affected. many computers have there own little bugs. if i do end up going with a 1.8 i would be going for something refurbished from apple so hopefully they have found ways to help prevent this bug from coming out. and with alot of the duals still being priced somewhat high it limits me to what my choices are. hopefully the up coming paris expo will help drop prices of these macs if newer stuff is released then a DP will be a much more likely cannidate

Al G
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2005, 06:42 PM

Sorry to not directly answer your question, but I agree with the general sentiment here: NEITHER! It doesn't make sense to me to get a single CPU in a huge G5 tower and a dual 1.8 will only cost about $200 more.
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

G5man
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2005, 10:32 PM

well if the programs you use dont take advantage of dual processor what is the point in getting dual's?
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2005, 11:52 PM

The Dual 1.42.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Al G
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by G5man
well if the programs you use dont take advantage of dual processor what is the point in getting dual's?
You mean like, oh I don't know, OS X? The operating system takes advantage of dual processors and there are always about 30 processes running even when your machine is idle. Any additional software that is multi-threaded is a bonus.
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

OreoCookie
Sep 20, 2005, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by ViviMaster
right now im lookin to upgrade my computer a bit and toren between the MDD dual 1.42 or a single 1.8 g5. both are in the same price range. but wondering what will be the better buy? the dual processors will be nice in the g4 but its choked with the 167 bus speed. then the g5 has a 600 bus speed but a single 1.8 and also uses ddr3200 compared to the ddr2700 on the g4. lookin for some a lil help to get to a decision. the computer will mostly be used for gaming (mostly World of Warcraft) and personal use. as of now im using an upgraded sawtooth with a giga 2ghz processor it does very well but i really lacks in the slow ram and bus speeds which is what im lookin to gain with the new computer. thanks in advance
If you're already using a 2 GHz G4, why don't you wait a tad longer and get a dual G5 instead? Can you post the exact specs of each machine: current machine and the two you're interested in?

If I had to choose, I'd take the G5, though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ViviMaster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 02:43 AM

g5 specs http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g5.html
g4 specs http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g4-142.html

the way its looking sounds like apple might be releasing new g5 tommorow so hopefully it will drive down the costs of the duals a bit more. and become much more affordable

OreoCookie
Sep 20, 2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by ViviMaster
g5 specs http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g5.html
g4 specs http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g4-142.html

the way its looking sounds like apple might be releasing new g5 tommorow so hopefully it will drive down the costs of the duals a bit more. and become much more affordable
So both would be regular stock machines? No RAM upgrade? Just to get this straight, do you have an offer on both or are you just contemplating buying either one? One way or the other, you should add RAM (1+ GB).

To be honest, if I were you, I wouldn't upgrade unless it were a Dual G5.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules