Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Looking to make the Switch, looking at Powerbook 15", need some questions answered

Looking to make the Switch, looking at Powerbook 15", need some questions answered
Screech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 06:09 PM

To make a long story short, I'm typing this from a Dell Inspiron 700m. My fourth one. All of these that I've received have been defective out of the box. This one may shut off randomly and start flashing weird colors on the screen any moment, so I'm trying to get this typed fast. Hehe, that's how bad it has gotten. And that's only one of the errors..

So I have forced a complete refund out of Dell, and I'm in the market for a notebook a mere three months after first purchasing the Dell. I think I'm ready to make the Switch.

I've heard that Mac is best for what I do: web design, namely lots of Photoshop work and HTML and stuff like that. I am looking to get a little bigger (the Inspiron was a 12-incher) and buy the new Powerbook 15".

Being a complete n00b in the Mac world (haven't used one. ever. Well, maybe for a few minutes in the Apple Store). I'm impressed by everything it has to offer. But I have some questions.
  1. What am I going to be most impressed with, being a guy who, again, has never used a Mac and has lived in a Windows world since Windows was conceived? No Blue Screens? Amazing interface? I just think this is an interesting question, can't wait to hear the answers on this one.
  2. Is the advertised 5.5 hours of battery life true? Apple tends to inflate their supposed battery times (see iPod).
  3. Is Photoshop CS2 as capable on a Mac as it is on a Windows computer?
  4. I will probably need the computer right away, as Dell is going to take this one away with them in the next few days. I'll have to go to the Apple Store and buy it with 512 MB of RAM as opposed to ordering it and getting 1 GB. a) Where would you buy more RAM? b) Is 512 going to be that bad?
  5. How can I get my iTunes songs moved over? Can I put them on an external hard drive using Windows and just get them on the Mac?
  6. Anybody know any good HTML authoring software for the Mac? I hand-code everything, so I just want a nice, robust editor.

I'll come up with more questions. Trust me. Thanks in advance for your response.

This is a turning point in my computer life, and I need your help. Heh. Can't wait to dive in.

ibook_steve
Dec 5, 2005, 06:23 PM

1. Yes, yes, and yes. You won't have to struggle with the interface to get stuff done. Everything is very intuitive. You control the machine instead of it controlling you.

2. All vendors inflate their battery lifetimes. The number from Apple is generated by turning the backlight down to one click above off, no apps running in the foreground and background, CPU set to auto speed stepping (will run at lower frequency when not needed) and sitting completely idle. Obviously, nobody works like this, but it gives a good battery life number. Other vendors do similar things. Expect to get maybe 3 or 4 hours. Others with more 15" experience than I have can confirm this.

3. Adobe optimizes its apps to run on G4 and G5 processors, so it should run splendidly. Obviously, it won't be as fast as when used on a G5.

4. 512 MB is a start, but check out http://www.dealram.com and fill up your RAM. Don't get it from Apple. You can get it cheaper on line.

5. Yes. Just put them on a disk or send them over a mini network between the two or put the Powerbook in Firewire Target disk mode so it acts like a hard drive you can attach with Firewire to the PC.

6. I don't code, but BBEdit from Bare Bones Software is the champ in this area, from what I've heard.

Come to the light side. You won't be disappointed.

Steve

Screech  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 06:42 PM

Thanks Steve. Is installation of new RAM easy?

saint_theodora
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Screech

so so easy. all you need is a few minutes (to let things cool, especially if you've been doing something processor/harddrive intensive) and a 00 phillips head screw driver.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 08:22 PM

As easy as St. Theodora wrote: read the manual--quite handy with nice pictograms.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

cjq999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 08:47 PM

I just switched from a Dell laptop to my first Mac--a PowerBook 15". I like how fast it starts up and shuts down compared to Windows. I love the screen and backlight keyboard. I wish Airport reception was better though. I like surfing the web with Safari. I'm trying to figure out iPhoto. I recommend taking one of those free classes offered at the Apple store to familiarize yourself with the new OS. I don't think the horizontal lines are a big issue. IMO all LCD screens have lines and you only see them if you put your nose 4 inches from the screen.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 5, 2005, 08:58 PM

3. Photoshop was born on the Mac, and is probably used by more graphics professionals on Macs than on PCs. The Mac and PC versions are identical.

4. 512MB will hold you over until the extra RAM arrives in the mail. I'd get no less than 1GB (it's cheap enough, so why not?). I buy RAM from Crucial -- it's more expensive, though still reasonable, but is of absolutely top quality. It's easy to install on the PowerBooks, you just need a jeweler's Phillips screwdriver (P0, I think) to remove a small hatch on the bottom.

6. BBEdit is the gold standard text editor on the Mac. There is a free version of it, TextWrangler, that has most of the functionality. You could try it and then decide later whether you need the features that you get in the full version.

tooki

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2005, 12:33 AM

To make a long story short, I'm typing this from a Dell Inspiron 700m. My fourth one. All of these that I've received have been defective out of the box. This one may shut off randomly and start flashing weird colors on the screen any moment, so I'm trying to get this typed fast.
First off, "Ouch!"

[*]What am I going to be most impressed with, being a guy who, again, has never used a Mac and has lived in a Windows world since Windows was conceived? No Blue Screens? Amazing interface? I just think this is an interesting question, can't wait to hear the answers on this one.
The eyecandy, oh the eyecandy; the morphing trasitions of windows, the ripples, etc. Blue screens are replaced with gray screens in multiple languages; different color, different OS, same cause, same result.

[*]Is the advertised 5.5 hours of battery life true? Apple tends to inflate their supposed battery times (see iPod).
Maybe, on the battery's second cycle with everything turned off or low. In reality people report 2-4 hours depending on features and usage. C|Net reports 2.7 hours playing a DVD.

[*]Is Photoshop CS2 as capable on a Mac as it is on a Windows computer?
Yes, Mac and Windows versions are feature equivalent.

[*]I will probably need the computer right away, as Dell is going to take this one away with them in the next few days. I'll have to go to the Apple Store and buy it with 512 MB of RAM as opposed to ordering it and getting 1 GB. a) Where would you buy more RAM? b) Is 512 going to be that bad?
Crucial; 1GB for a 15" PowerBook is $108 with free 2 day shipping.
512MB is the minimum; it runs, but not great if you're a compulsive multitasker.

[*]How can I get my iTunes songs moved over? Can I put them on an external hard drive using Windows and just get them on the Mac?
Copying them to your external will work fine. Depending on the format of your external you may be able to read but not write files on it (but you can fix that by reformatting it after you copy your data off it).

[*]Anybody know any good HTML authoring software for the Mac? I hand-code everything, so I just want a nice, robust editor.
BBEdit and SubEthaEdit are popular text editors.
Dreamweaver and GoLive are both available for OSX

Originally Posted by tooki
used by more graphics professionals on Macs than on PCs.
Source? I haven't seen the OS split for Adobe's software in a long time (in ~1999 it was ~60/40 Win/Mac for Adobe products overall).
( Last edited by mduell; Dec 6, 2005 at 01:49 AM. )

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2005, 02:26 AM

For comparisons of RAM prices, go to ramseeker.com. For examples of why Macs are better than Windows, check apple.com/switch, apple.com/pro, apple.com/powerbook/mobilelife, and http://macspeedzone.com/html/hubs/partisan/general.html, although that last one doesn't seem to've been updated in awhile. Maybe so many people realize that Macs are better that we don't need websites dedicated to proving that point yet again.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2005, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by brettcamp
For comparisons of RAM prices, go to ramseeker.com. For examples of why Macs are better than Windows, check apple.com/switch, apple.com/pro, apple.com/powerbook/mobilelife, and http://macspeedzone.com/html/hubs/partisan/general.html, although that last one doesn't seem to've been updated in awhile. Maybe so many people realize that Macs are better that we don't need websites dedicated to proving that point yet again.
A couple more:
http://macvspc.info/ - Heavy Mac biased
http://www.xvsxp.com/ - Well balanced
http://systemshootouts.org/ - Mostly well balanced

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2005, 05:20 AM

1) from my experience at work (i use a mac exclusively at home and pc's at work), you will be most impressed with by the "it just works" factor. another thing will be the effectiveness and ease at which you can multi-task and have more than one application open without killing your system. also, if you are not using firefox on windows, tabbed browsing is marvelous.

4) 512MB is not bad...but you will probably feel a difference when you get your 1GB stick (or 512 to add for a total 1GB). i would say not apple for the RAM, but i haven't had to buy any recently; but everything i have heard points to crucial as being one of the best bets.

5) as long as the drive is NTFS (i think that's the right format), your PB will be able to read the songs. it would probably be easier, however, to connect the 2 with an ethernet or firewire cable.

6) textwrangler or BBEdit...or, depending on how unix-y you want, vi! 8)
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 11:38 PM

Some RAM info. The 15" PB has two ram slots. If you buy the lower end 15" model you get a single 512 MB chip installed. If you go to the Ultimate model you get a single 1 Gb chip installed. If you want to upgrade to 2Gb this would mean tossing the 512 Mb chip away. The Ultimate also comes with the faster hard drive which is noticeably faster in disk performance.

1. Rock solid stability and how well applications work together.
2. I get 4 hours in general use on my 15". A lot depends on what you are doing.
3. Every bit as well. You may also like the ColorSync ability. PS just runs great on the platform.
4. 512 is minimal especially for one running PS. I'd suggest 1 Gb minimum and 2 is optimum.
5. Copy them to a CD or DVD then move them over when you get the new PB.
6. BBEDIT Pro is really, really good if you manually code.

I think you will be pleased.

Al G
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2005, 03:25 PM

Your unending vigil against viruses, spyware and adware will end.

Seriously, don't waste your money on Mac AV software.
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

Forum Links
Forum Rules