Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > X1900 Aftermarket Cooling

X1900 Aftermarket Cooling
devmage
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 08:09 PM

Greetings Folks,

I was wondering if anyone had purchased a aftermarket cooling fan for their X1900 XT and had good success with it? Hopefully one that is more quite than the stock fan on the card

Thanks,

Devmage

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2007, 02:09 PM

Not personally, but if you want some help with serious cooling, post on macmod.com. There is a thread there about a JAllen folding farm machine. Its not actually a Mac but the author has some badass cooling on his cards and knows his stuff. Not that people here don't.....

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2007, 04:31 AM

Haven't bought one, but I've seen only good things about this one:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/...nt_Cooler.html

toknee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2007, 11:38 PM

This is the passive cooler setup that I use on my X1900XT. It cools better than the stock active heatsink.

Go to macrumors, and someone has done a complete review of this cooler on a X1900XT

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S1 VGA Cooler - Retail

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2007, 03:39 PM

You must either a) have your MP on your desk b) have hard (eg wooden) floors or c) have excellent hearing as the fan noise from my X1900 is entirely bearable, and that's after having a totally silent iMac!
Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 5Gb memory, 2.2Tb internal HDD, 750Gb external HDD and 30" Apple Cinema Display

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2007, 11:57 PM

I just purchased an Accelero X2 Cooler from Cyberguys.com. I'm hoping that this will quiet down my Mac Pro and not aggrevate my tinnitus.

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...roductID=11957

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2007, 10:52 PM

I received my Accelero X2 Cooler from Cyberguys.com today and installed the new fan. I think my Mac Pro is a little quieter. It certainly starts up quieter now. To install I had to do some screw swapping between OEM and the screws that came with but I got everything together.

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2007, 10:10 AM

is the accerlero a good choice? i keep reading reviews about how most aftermarket coolers for the x1900 simply blow the hot air inside the case rather than directing the heat outside the case. is the extra heat circulating inside the case because of the coolers like the accelero bad for other components? i have 3 HD's in my mac pro as well.

i really need to get something, because i had my x1900 replaced at the apple store 3 months ago because of civ4. i'm a die-hard civ4 fan and after playing it so much on my mac pro, something with the vidcard got damaged. after i would quit the game, the vidcard's fans would rev up and down like my old power mac, but much louder.

the mac genius said the card probably got fried and he also mentioned that he was swapping out quite a few x1900s at that time. he also added that almost all were gamers, mainly WoW players.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by herbsman View Post
is the accerlero a good choice? i keep reading reviews about how most aftermarket coolers for the x1900 simply blow the hot air inside the case rather than directing the heat outside the case. is the extra heat circulating inside the case because of the coolers like the accelero bad for other components? i have 3 HD's in my mac pro as well.

i really need to get something, because i had my x1900 replaced at the apple store 3 months ago because of civ4. i'm a die-hard civ4 fan and after playing it so much on my mac pro, something with the vidcard got damaged. after i would quit the game, the vidcard's fans would rev up and down like my old power mac, but much louder.

the mac genius said the card probably got fried and he also mentioned that he was swapping out quite a few x1900s at that time. he also added that almost all were gamers, mainly WoW players.
I have four HDDs in my Mac Pro and using a dashboard widget that monitors fans speed and temps, the HDD's are running on average a little cooler (1-2°C cooler), I have all of my RAM slots filled and they seem to be running 1°C cooler for no good reason as well. The CPUs are the same and fans speed all remain the same.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Macadvo View Post
You must either a) have your MP on your desk b) have hard (eg wooden) floors or c) have excellent hearing as the fan noise from my X1900 is entirely bearable, and that's after having a totally silent iMac!
I've heard a couple say that they hear a helicopter sound from the card, and at first I didn't hear it, but if I listen carefully, I can hear the fan and it does sort of make a helicopter sound (the back of my computer is about a foot from a wall so I think it reflects off the wall a bit). But it doesn't really bother me. Besides I have 5.1 surround speakers playing, when I'm playing games or iTunes, so I don't hear much except for the game (it's not a quiet room).
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
I have four HDDs in my Mac Pro and using a dashboard widget that monitors fans speed and temps, the HDD's are running on average a little cooler (1-2°C cooler), I have all of my RAM slots filled and they seem to be running 1°C cooler for no good reason as well. The CPUs are the same and fans speed all remain the same.
That's good to know! I'm leaning towards the Accelero now. Another guy from work told me not to worry about temps either. He also said his Mac Pro is showing no signs of increased heat.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 03:56 PM

Don't install the Accelero X2 Cooler. It does run a little quieter but this weekend when I booted off of XP and was playing Command & Conquer 3 with some friends, my X1900XT video board overheated. I do have other cards in my Mac Pro and one of those did partially cover the exhaust of the Accelero X2 Cooler's fan. Nevertheless, I pulled the card and returned it to stock and the card worked fine after that.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2007, 05:22 PM

Check this test out but mind you its not on a 1900XT but it can be a good guide to follow and I'm sure the coolers or most of them anyway are available to fit on the 1900XT
MADSHRIMPS - Hardware Reviews ,Crazy Projects, Modding Tutorials and Overclocking

applemacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 01:54 AM

Is the stock cooling really loud?
I have a 1900XT but it's still in the box, I've only opened it once to see what it looks like (damn thing is heavy!)

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by applemacbook View Post
Is the stock cooling really loud?
I have a 1900XT but it's still in the box, I've only opened it once to see what it looks like (damn thing is heavy!)
Not really. I just happen to have tinnitus.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2007, 10:53 PM

Join the club my friend

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Not really. I just happen to have tinnitus.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2007, 12:05 PM

If you have an "old" Mac Pro, you may have bigger issues with cooling than you think. I ordered mine on day one. I started having graphics issues in graphics-intensive programs (also known as games) about a month ago. After some frustration, I got to a second-level tech at Apple. He said it had overheated and he knew exactly how to fix the problem. My rev 2 X1900 XT is on its way right now. I do have to ship the original back, though. Apparently there was a problem with some of the early X1900 XTs.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2007, 05:15 PM

Interesting. Not the first time I've read about that, either. Mine's starting to show horizontal lines of corrupted pixels in the last week. Guessing that that's the video card on its way out.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2007, 10:24 AM

Are there any plans for a more powerful "consumer" card for the MacPro anytime soon? I'd like to see more VRAM to keep up with the latest and greatest PC versions.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2007, 01:24 AM

As an extended follow-up my X1900XT card shelled (blacked out during games and wouldn't come back). Apple sent me a new card the next day to sort the problem. My Mac Pro is an early model. I had to hit the new card with a firmwear upgrade to get it to work with XP.

Richard Richard
Oct 22, 2007, 06:53 AM

well , i've got tinnitus AND a noisy x1900 !

on another note , i just invested in a piece of carpet off cut and put that under my mac pro , it certainly made some difference as i've got hard wood suspended floors

using smc fan control and upping the internal fans to 750 seems to help too !!

i don't fancy tinkering with the insides in case i mess things up and invalidate my warranty
( Last edited by Richard Richard; Oct 22, 2007 at 07:11 AM. )
mac 4 evaah

Forum Links
Forum Rules