Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poor experience with Apple Care

Poor experience with Apple Care
chrikenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2003, 10:33 PM

Just wanted to relate this bad experience that I have had with Applecare...

About 2.5 weeks ago my 12" AlBook's 40GB hard drive died. No reason that I can see, it just up and died on me -- the week before finals started. On Tuesday 12/9 I took it to an Apple store and they sent it to Apple Care, assuring me I would have it back in 5 days because a hard drive replacement was a quick and easy fix. Now, nearly 2 full weeks later, I still don't have my AlBook back. Why? Because the hard drive was BACKORDERED! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that absurd? This is the standard 40GB Toshiba hard drive that comes in the 12", and it has been backordered for over a week! I'm astounded. I thought that hard drives were relatively abundant, as far as computer parts go. Oh, so now they claim that they have "found one", after I called them every day for 3 days in a row. Supposedly it is arriving Monday, and they will fix my computer, send it back, and I should get it Wednesday, Xmas Eve. Thus, it will have taken exactly 15 days to get my hard drive replaced, on my 2 month old AlBook. A negative experience, to say the least.

On the positive side, I will say that I absolutely love the AlBook and I blame Toshiba, not Apple, for the hard drive failure. I will also say that the people I've spoken with at Apple Care have been nice. Now, if only they could be more efficient...

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 11:02 PM

I had a similar experience with my 12" rev A that needed a new logic board. They promised me 3 days, and it ended up over 2 weeks. They kept refusing to give me an ETA until I finally talked to someone who seemd to actually care, and he bumped my case up to priority. Within 2 days after that, it was fixed.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules