Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How Difficult is your Hinge Release?

How Difficult is your Hinge Release?
jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 07:31 PM

The release button on my Rev-D requires two hands to operate. I can't simply open the notebook with just my thumb and a push like I could my Rev-C. Has anyone noticed the same problem? Is there any way to fix it without sending it off?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 08:07 PM

The Hinge on my 1.67 15" is fine. I do need to press the lid to close it however.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2005, 08:29 PM

my ibook latch was never perfect from the getgo. i have to dig with my thumbnail to get it to open. my powerbook and clamshell open fine.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 08:36 PM

Mine only takes one finger. However, if I press it with the lid open, it makes this annoying squeaking noise.

nate_02
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 08:37 PM

i used to have to press mine in hard, but I had it fixed, now it's fine. Another thing that made it bad was that my hinge was loose so I had to press the release with one hand while pulling up on the screen with my other. They normally pop up about a quarter of an inch when you press the button.

On my last powerbook, it was so touchy that it would open up just by walking with it.
-nate

jzdziarski  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 09:00 PM

so how long did they take to fix? was it something they could do in the apple store? is it something i can do myself?

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2005, 09:02 PM

mine isn't fixed.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

nate_02
Senior User
Feb 18, 2005, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by jzdziarski:
so how long did they take to fix? was it something they could do in the apple store? is it something i can do myself?
Unfortuantely, they had to ship it out to the repair depot. The great things is that Apple has an awesome turn around time. I sent it out on Monday afternoon and had it back on Wednesday morning. If you have a larger Apple store near you, they may be able to repair it in house, but they still may have it for a night or two depending on how many repairs are before yours. In Milwaukee, we have one of the smaller Apple stores and I guess they don't have enough space in back to do repairs like the larger stores.

With how small everything is in the PB, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, besides you could void your warranty which will cover the repair of a bad hinge or latch.
-nate

Forum Links
Forum Rules