Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > any news on 10.4.3?

any news on 10.4.3? (Page 2)
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Are any of you, having these problems, using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader by chance?
Version 7.x has a problem which generates a message in the console or system log (i think both) a few times every second. Something about like this: /Applications/Adobe Reader 7.0/Adobe Reader 7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Reader: Invalid color: colored pattern specified with uncolored pattern colorspace.

Adobes "solution" to this is rather ridiculous: select the lines in the log and delete them. Hah!

My solution is not to use Reader anymore unless I really have to because Preview has some trouble with specific PDF files.

Just a thought...

FYI, I'm not having any problems with 10.4.2 apart from the above.
What I do know is that AUM crashes repeatedly while trying to check for updates.

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
The guy is having a problem. Most of those questions (at least the ones actually asked in the thread above your post) were asked in order to gather enough information to be able to help. In order to troubleshoot, you have to gather information and eliminate variables in an attempt to find the problem and eliminate it. We were trying to help, and you are being an ass.
Use. your. brain. sarcasm.is.your.friend.thin.skinned.girlish.ones.d uh.

The point is that these questions make ZERO SENSE if the problem is a bug in the operating system.

How many times do you have to see the same problem across a range of machines before you conclude this.

DUH.

There is a well documented bug in Tiger causing major systems freezes and crashes.

Swap out ram. erase and install, blah blah blah. Not going to help you.

Troubleshoot away!
( Last edited by pliny; Sep 25, 2005 at 04:05 PM. )
i look in your general direction

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2005, 05:06 PM

That's just it-- I've got 6 Macs running 10.4.2 and none of them exhibit this behavior. He never stated whether he'd attempted to track down any memory leaks, which is where I was trying to point him in my first post. Sure, it could be an Apple-Made™ memory leak, or it could be a third-party one. I wnated to rule that out. This is a troubleshooting & discussion forum, after all.

I'm not saying Apple's perfect-- I've had Safari crash on me 6 times this week-- but just declaring the problem an OS bug without thinking through it at all isn't exactly helpful, either.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Stephen1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
You know... this is the very reason I don't upgrade to Tiger. Panther is working wonderfully for me and I don't really need or care about the new fancy widgets. Tiger is a joke! And you shouldn't have to reset permissions and clear caches and delete widgets and stuff like that because Mac OS X was designed to be operated by a new computer user and everything is supposed to be automatic and happening in the background so the user doesn't have to worry about all that crap.

Oh, and Randman... I really really really hate you... with your STUPID one word answers... you are hardly ever a help to people because everytime someone has a problem... you have to go and post a one answer solution (by the way... Apple designed Filevault too... why shouldn't the user be able to use it?)... also, what's with the "I never experience any of the problems that anyone has because my compuer is perfect... you must be doing something wrong." type of posts?

I'm going off on a tangent. Tiger sucks. That's that.

Holy crap what a child.
If it's causing you problems and any suggestions here don't help, don't
use Tiger.
Go have a nap now.

dpaanlka
Sep 25, 2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by rm199
Something already running continues however nothing new can be loaded (an attempt to launch something new results in dock bounce until the machine is power cycled. There doesn't appear to be an ability to log out or reset that I have found so it gets power cycled.
That's so weird I've noticed the SAME exact problem... I've never had so much trouble with OS X until Tiger.2 this is what I expericne most:

Total System Freezes (mouse wont move or anything)
Neverending dock bouncing
Kernel Panicks
Simple things take wayyyy to long to do...

I'm glad (in a sick way) to see others are having similar problems. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with all of our installations. I've never had problems until now.

DeeKat
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 11:20 PM

good news here! I reinstalled Tiger WITHOUT migrating the apps folder and voilà!!! It runs much better now, very very noticable difference. You were right Sophus, some apps might not be compatible with 10.4. I also just reintalled the minimum apps I need to work and that I know for sure are compatible. Now Tiger feels sweet.... much snappier

Fusion
Senior User
Sep 26, 2005, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by DeeKat
good news here! I reinstalled Tiger WITHOUT migrating the apps folder and voilà!!! It runs much better now, very very noticable difference. You were right Sophus, some apps might not be compatible with 10.4. I also just reintalled the minimum apps I need to work and that I know for sure are compatible. Now Tiger feels sweet.... much snappier
What are you talking about? Just having an app sit in the Applications folder is not going to cause your computer to act any differently. Are you saying that you don't actually use these apps now? Because just having them sit there on your computer is not going to make a bit of difference whether or not they are Tiger compatible. You could have an app from system 7 sitting there and it wouldn't do anything.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 08:20 AM

In rm199's case, something odd is going on and I suspect that this is being caused by a third party application or widget, although I can't say for sure. But I can say that this goes against my experience with 10.4.2, which has been stable for me. Hopefully, he will figure out the problem and be able to enjoy his Mac again.
Agent69

groycvg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
" very often that is the pre-warning of anotherl thing that happens, the machine will no longer load anything new. Something already running continues however nothing new can be loaded (an attempt to launch something new results in dock bounce until the machine is power cycled. There doesn't appear to be an ability to log out or reset that I have found so it gets power cycled. "

And it always happens when you're using Safari, right? The Internet stops working, etc.

This is a known problem that existed sporadically on 10.4.2 and has just gotten a lot worse for some people with the Java Release 2 update. It's a conflict between launchd (whatever that is) and Java. I read a report on Macfixit.com this morning, and there's also a thread on the Apple.com forums. Additionally, I have filed a bug report with Apple (because I experienced this crash yesterday).

There are three ways to fix it if you're having serious problems.
1. When you start having the Safari problems, unplug your ethernet connection (if it's not wireless). This resets launchd.
2. Try running both Java utility programs in your Applications/Utilities folder. Reset or clear your Java caches.
3. If you must, archive-and-reinstall Tiger, but don't apply the Java Release 2 update afterwards.

This is a fairly serious issue for some users, so we can expect a patch or fix pretty soon.

This describes the exact problem I am having. Hope a fix is on the way. I am tired of having to force a shutdown several times a day.

--
G

Agent69
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
"There are three ways to fix it if you're having serious problems.
1. When you start having the Safari problems, unplug your ethernet connection (if it's not wireless). This resets launchd.
2. Try running both Java utility programs in your Applications/Utilities folder. Reset or clear your Java caches.
3. If you must, archive-and-reinstall Tiger, but don't apply the Java Release 2 update afterwards.
You could also disable Java from being used with Safari via Safari's preferences, which I what I always do (note that turning off Java doesn't turn off Javascript).
Agent69

DeeKat
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 10:20 AM

Orininally Posted by Fusion
What are you talking about? Just having an app sit in the Applications folder is not going to cause your computer to act any differently. Are you saying that you don't actually use these apps now? Because just having them sit there on your computer is not going to make a bit of difference whether or not they are Tiger compatible. You could have an app from system 7 sitting there and it wouldn't do anything.
Hey listen, I'm no computer expert but after following sophus's hint and reinstalling without migrating the apps folder, for me, and I say for me there was I very sinificant improvement over the original migration I did witch included ther apps folder. No beachball all the time at last. So you might be theoreticly right but my pratical experience conclude othewise! Maybe It was just some kind of corrup file in some apps exention, I dont know. Like I said I'm no computer geek but that made a HUGE difference and I would recommend triing it if you have the same symptoms as I did. And since you seem to be the expert your the one who might know why this is?

sincerely
DeeKat

PS: Don't flame me for my spelling cuz I'm french-canadian and Englis is m second language.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fusion
Well, DeeKat I am glad it worked out for you.

Fusion,
First of all, I believe he means that he did a clean install, avoided installing applications he don't use and when installing, made sure that the applications were up to date with the OS.

As regards applications that are "just sitting in the Applications folder", you are not entirely correct. A lot of apps are "enhancements" or extensions or replacements to key functionality in the OS or have elements/modules or daemons loaded during boot, even if you have not manually started them from the Application folder. Some of them don't even show up in the Applications folder (i.e. APE). Several such apps and drivers as well as preference-files for such older versions of apps have been incompatible with newer OSX updates and have led to instability, memory leaks, high cpu usage, beachballing etc.

Furthermore, when installing apps, elements are often installed in several other folders besides the Applications folders. Ever checked where Adobe fonts go? Or the where the Office deamon resides and where it's startup script is? When migrating your Applications folders, these elements are left behind. This in turn may lead to a host of problems. Self contained and self-checking applications would solve this problem, by chekcing that all external elements are in place and reinstalling them at first run if necessary. Unfortunately, there are a lot of applications out there that both use stupid installers and who are not self contained. I wish mac programmers would be conform to a standard and make sure all their applications where self contained and self checking. However this would increase the size of several types of applications (i.e. applications that install their own fonts in the system font folders etc).

If an app is incompatible with a new version of the OS, should you blame its developer or Apple? I don't know, and I don't care. But I do know that uninstalling it completely, or upgrading it to a compatible version or even reinstalling it if it was migrated, will fix the problem.
( Last edited by Sophus; Sep 26, 2005 at 11:00 AM. )

DeeKat
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 10:28 AM

By the way, Thanks Sophus! Very interesting clarification.
edit:

And yes thats what I did : clean install, migrating no apps and reinstalling only the one i'm sure about.
( Last edited by DeeKat; Sep 26, 2005 at 01:22 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 26, 2005, 11:56 AM

Inevitably, 10.4.3 will be released and a handful of people will rush back into the forums saying Tiger is stupid and unstable and they got divorced...and it's Tiger's fault.

Stephen1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2005, 03:27 PM

hahahahaha!!!
exactly

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Inevitably, 10.4.3 will be released and a handful of people will rush back into the forums saying Tiger is stupid and unstable and they got divorced...and it's Tiger's fault.
You're so totally right. And I will probably be one of those people. I can't stand the slow menus and I can't stand not being able to print wirelessly. So unless they fix these things... I will still complain!

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 02:47 AM

Complaining's fine, but have you filed a bug report? That would demonstrate your interest in seeing the problem fixed.

Apple engineers have personally responded to most of my Tiger bug reports, and most of them have been fixed in subsequent Tiger updates.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 03:09 AM

I just hope that they fix iChat from it's current completely unreliable state for audio and video chats.

And the Exposé delay when activating.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2005, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by rm199
10.4.2 is causing enough trouble that I'm about to hire a PC for a while to actually get some work done. Has anyone heard of how far away 10.4.3 might be?
Here are some suggestions for solving two common problems some people seem to experience after the security update. Check them out and please report on your results with these fixes.

Another fix for system-wide freezes when Web browsing
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...50926074002217

Disappearing hard drive space -- swelling console logs
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...50926081821717

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...50926081821717
( Last edited by Sophus; Sep 27, 2005 at 04:36 AM. )

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 06:45 PM

I haven't had any of these hard freezes related to that terrible lookupd bug since changing my hosts file. I wonder if the adsonar people have made any change on their end to alleviate this problem?

I wonder how their coding or impacted this bug, because given how long Tiger has been out it is weird that these freezes didn't happen immediately on release.

I hope 10.4.3 squashes this bug dead.

I wonder if we will get 10.4.3 next weekish.
i look in your general direction

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by pliny

I hope 10.4.3 squashes this bug dead.

I wonder if we will get 10.4.3 next weekish.
I hope so too. Looking forward to the 500+ bugfixes, although I haven't experienced any major problems with 10.4.2.

Sophus

Forum Links
Forum Rules