Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > disk thrashing and safari beach balling on certain RSS feeds WTH?

disk thrashing and safari beach balling on certain RSS feeds WTH?
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2008, 09:48 PM

Could someone explain to me why safari beach balls (almost for 20 seconds!) when I go to the RSS feed from say Ars technica - or more commonly - consumerist.com?

I have 400 GB of free space (out of 500GB), 6 GB or RAM with no other programs running! It almost always does this when I first open safari and go to the rss site. activity monitor does not show any page out/ page ins- just data being rported as being read and written. This is on a 2.66 MP, interestingly, on my low end PB G4 with hardly any disk space left, the same page comes up no problem!
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2008, 10:27 PM

I get the same problem with Autoblog’s feed – no of my other 30 or so feeds have that problem.

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2008, 01:26 AM

I was playing around with safari - I emptied the cache and that seemed to help. I have no idea why those sites do that....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 11:57 AM

Could be flash ads in the RSS feed; Flash for OS X is so poorly written even a little can make a powerful box grind.

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Could be flash ads in the RSS feed; Flash for OS X is so poorly written even a little can make a powerful box grind.
I've been using pith helmet for years, so flash cant be it, good idea though.

Besides, I dont think that anybody today actually surfs the web without an ad-blocker?

Forum Links
Forum Rules