Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > End of Boot Camp and XP?

End of Boot Camp and XP?
Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Nov 1, 2010, 03:03 AM

I just noticed that the new MacBook Air models support only Windows 7. Is it logical to conclude that Apple will drop support for XP use with Boot Camp with all future models? If so, I guess I'll have to plan my next purchase to take place before the next revision of iMac.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2010, 05:22 AM

Sounds logical. The first version of XP was released in late 2001. Why don't you like windows 7?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 1, 2010, 06:44 AM

The Air has a fairly specific hardware set. It's hard to write drivers for either XP or W7. W7 is new while XP is pretty darn old. I think the "Win7 only" thing is more to do with Apple deciding to only write Win7 drivers for the Air and not to bother with writing XP drivers. I do NOT think Apple is going to dump support for XP anytime soon.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2010, 02:45 PM

Microsoft has all but dropped support of XP and will be doing so more and more in the enterprise arena, i.e., its days are numbered. Its plausible that apple, taking their cue from MS chose not to support XP on this and possibly all new Macs from here on out.
~Mike

Doc Juansinn  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2010, 12:34 AM

Big Mac, it's not about whether I like Windows 7, but rather that XP meets my needs and I really don't want to supply Microsoft with still more of my money (I don't pirate software). I'd rather spend my extra cash on still more guitars.

So that leaves me with two opposing views on what may become of Apple's XP support. I sure hope ghporter is correct, but I do also see reality in Maflynn's view.

So, if Apple does dump XP, and I decide to upgrade, can anyone tell me if a Windows 7 Home upgrade can be installed via Boot Camp without a base install of XP?

Thanks for your consideration.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2010, 01:26 AM

I can understand XP, but no Vista?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2010, 06:30 AM

Does ANYONE actually think of Vista as something other than a poor attempt to supplant XP? Win7 is successful because it works much better than Vista, and it is more capable and more secure than XP without being the PITA Vista is in terms of configuration and management. I don't have numbers handy, but I think Vista is not in terribly widespread use. Plus, Vista has a slightly different driver model from either XP or 7, so supporting hardware under Vista is an additional programming burden. I can easily see not supporting Vista on new hardware for that reason alone.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2010, 11:09 AM

So it's fair to say that Vista has been swept under the rug. Got it.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Does ANYONE actually think of Vista as something other than a poor attempt to supplant XP? .
I remember all of the promised features that longhorn was to have, and one by one they were cut and delay after delay produced an OS that was big on bloat, years late and little to no real features. What I don't understand was the surprise of Ms execs at how poorly vista was received because it was a dog, even the name was aweful
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules