Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Boehner resigns thankless job.

Boehner resigns thankless job. (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm not sure what he's not doing that would resolve the issue. The media and democrats have just decided to run with it.
Did he actually do any damage control?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2015, 01:15 PM

I feel like this has a chance of going into semantic hell, but yes, he appeared in the media to try and fix the situation.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2015, 01:22 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2015, 01:34 PM

I feel like this has a chance of going into semantic hell, but yes, he appeared in the media to try and fix the situation.
I'll try to keep it not hellish.

Can you hook me up with a comment or two of his?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2015, 01:46 PM

I'd have to google them same as you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2015, 01:53 PM

I didn't find anything from a cursory search. I thought perhaps you had an example in mind which could be found with a refined search.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2015, 03:28 PM

I think a lot of people are jumping the gun a little on this indicating the fracture of the GOP is finally going to happen. I'll just say I see that as becoming likely if the Freedom Caucus deposes Boehner for staying on longer than this month because there is no other speaker.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2015, 03:54 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2015, 04:20 PM

He doesn't strike me as forceful enough for it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2015, 05:50 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2015, 10:02 AM

Well there are rumors that he was blackmailed into dropping out because he's had an affair. It's really nebulous, though.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2015, 11:48 AM

After repeatedly stating that he was not interested in the job yesterday, the House GOP is doing its best to pressure Paul Ryan into taking the job. I imagine he has no desire to be the GOP equivalent of Ned Stark however ...

Paul Ryan considering running for House speaker - CNNPolitics.com

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Oct 9, 2015 at 04:23 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2015, 12:03 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2015, 04:13 PM

My congresscritter doesn't want it either, said he'd rather shove broken glass into every orifice of his body.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
God damn you.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
My congresscritter doesn't want it either, said he'd rather shove broken glass into every orifice of his body.
It reached a place where anyone sane enough to do the job is sane enough to know they don't want it.

---

Has anyone seen some of the pledges the Freedom Caucus has asked of Speaker candidates?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2015, 04:17 PM

Also, my dream situation is Boehner stays on past October and Freedom caucus does whatever maneuver they had planned to depose him, throwing the House in complete ****ing chaos.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
The House GOP bloodletting continues ....

GOP lawmaker warns leadership candidates of 'skeletons in their closets' | TheHill

Did someone blackmail McCarthy into dropping out?

OAW
The plot thickens ....

Hours before House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) abruptly announced Thursday that he was dropping out of the race for House speaker, a GOP donor reportedly confronted him in an email about an alleged affair with a congressional colleague.

The Huffington Post reported that the email, which it obtained from an anonymous source, was sent by a Chicago-based GOP donor named Steve Baer.

"Kevin, why not resign like Bob Livingston?" the email's subject line read, according to HuffPost. The reference was to a Louisiana Republican who resigned in 1998 over an extramarital affair after being designated as the successor to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA).

Notably, Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC) sent a letter Wednesday to the chair of the House Republican caucus, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA), urging that any leadership candidate take himself out of the running "if there are any misdeeds he has committed since joining Congress that will embarrass himself, the Republican Conference and the House of Representatives if they become public."
GOP Donor Confronted McCarthy About Alleged Affair Before Exit

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2015, 04:38 PM

Newt!!!

Gingrich open to return to Speakership | TheHill
Newt Gingrich said he would consider taking up the Speaker’s gavel again if called upon to by House Republicans.

The former Speaker initially denied any interest in a return to Congress, but when pressed in an interview with radio show host Sean Hannity on Thursday, admitted he would consider it if he had the votes.

“If you were to say to me 218 have called you up and given you their pledge, obviously no citizen could ever turn down that kind of challenge,” Gingrich said, as first reported by the Washington Free Beacon.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2015, 04:45 PM

^^^^

That would certainly be interesting. There is no constitutional requirement for the Speaker of the House to be a member of Congress.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2015, 04:46 PM

^^^^

That would certainly be interesting. There is no constitutional requirement for the Speaker of the House to be a member of Congress.

OAW
I would think Trump is more likely. Newt is Establishment.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2015, 07:31 PM

God damn you.
Sorry.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2015, 12:44 PM

Jesus Christ, the guy could barely talk. How did he even get elected?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=6&v=oK3WWu7Xztk

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2015, 02:09 PM

Ryan isn't even running and already they're going after him for his immigration views. There is no true scotsman here.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2015, 04:08 PM

Additional crazy situation I wouldn't mind seeing: Ted Cruz putting himself forth for the job.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 20, 2015, 04:44 PM

Harry Reid Endorses Paul Ryan for Speaker of the House | Mediaite
Reid told a gaggle of reporters that he was a “Paul Ryan fan” and hoped the former Republican vice presidential nominee got the nod. “He appears to me to be one of the people over there that would be reasonable. I mean look at some of the other people,” Reid said. “…Generally speaking we’ve been able to work with him.”
Sometimes, Reid is a god damned genius.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2015, 04:46 PM

^^^

If Reid's goal was to keep the House GOP mired in chaos ... that was particularly well played.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 20, 2015, 04:50 PM

I don't think they needed the help, but yeah.

Edit: we're ten days away from Boehner's scheduled departure and there isn't a speaker (or at least a vote) on the horizon. Amazing.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2015, 06:52 PM

Boehner won't call for a vote until he can get his hand picked guy as speaker... Boehners judgment should be questioned if he thought Mccarthy was smart enough for the job.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2015, 09:13 AM

Well, he obviously knew that Ryan was announcing he'd run. Conservative sites are already tarring him (again). He's being smart enough to put conditions on taking the job, at least.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2015, 02:45 PM

BTW, I'm absolutely loving that a group with preconditions for speaker is incensed that Ryan would put preconditions on his speakership. These people have no perspective.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2015, 04:38 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2015, 04:40 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2015, 09:42 AM

So quick breakdown of everything that happened since yesterday:
Harry Reid endorsed Paul Ryan in op-ed god tier troll
It was too late as Freedom Caucus decided to hold a vote on Ryan
FC holds vote where 4/5th 'Supermajority' must agree on Ryan to support him
FC narrowly fails to reach 4/5th support
FC says they will support Ryan, but will not meet his demands
Ryan says thanks

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2015, 02:49 PM

Am I missing something, or is his demand unenforceable?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2015, 03:00 PM

He's looking for a handshake deal, I imagine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2015, 03:03 PM

Which I see as not even being worth the bottle of Purell they use afterwards.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2015, 03:05 PM

Purell? **** that, I'd use bleach.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2015, 03:11 PM

From what I've been told, I'm white enough as is.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2015, 03:12 PM

Which I see as not even being worth the bottle of Purell they use afterwards.
What I just read implied he knew they wouldn't meet his demands and he was using to save face since he doesn't want the job anyway.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2015, 03:14 PM

What I just read implied he knew they wouldn't meet his demands and he was using to save face since he doesn't want the job anyway.
Has Ryan removed himself from the running? I interpreted your last step of the day's events differently.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2015, 03:18 PM

Has Ryan removed himself from the running? I interpreted your last step of the day's events differently.
No, you interpreted correctly. This was the opinion piece I just read:
The Freedom Caucus called Paul Ryan’s bluff. He’s doomed.
The Freedom Caucus’ shrewd counteroffer—no endorsement but a “supermajority” of support, and no rule changes but a promise to consider them later—was suitable to Ryan. “I’m grateful for the support of a supermajority of the House Freedom Caucus,” Ryan said in a statement. “I look forward to hearing from the other two caucuses by the end of the week, but I believe this is a positive step towards a unified Republican team.”

It sounds like Speaker Ryan is a go, and if so, this is an inauspicious start to his tenure. He set terms intended to bring the Freedom Caucus to heel, and the Freedom Caucus didn’t agree to them but came just close enough to agreeing that it believed it’d avoid blame if Ryan bowed out. In other words, they seem to have successfully called Ryan’s bluff. (We’ve requested comment from Ryan’s communications director at the Ways and Means Committee, Brendan Buck, but in the meantime we’ll have to wait to see what resolving issues “within our Conference in due time” means.)
So it remains to be seen what Ryan's next move is. Does he call out the FC for not meeting his demands or does he pretend he got what he wanted and runs for a job he doesn't want?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2015, 06:43 PM

Ryan just signed on to be the Freedom Caucus' bitch. Unless he kowtows to them he's going to end up in the same spot as Boehner did.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2015, 09:38 AM

Either he's spineless or party leadership is putting a lot of pressure on him to run and save party face. Which is stupid as its post-poning the inevitable. If the pressure works on Ryan but not the Freedom Caucus, think of how things will work out soon enough.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2015, 03:08 PM

Trump trying to get himself back in the news while simultaneously sabotaging the establishment
Trump ‘not thrilled’ about Paul Ryan for Speaker, wants someone ‘more conservative’ and ‘tough’ | BizPac Review
“I’m a little surprised that somebody more conservative and tough, because they need some toughness, and smartness, and I’m a little surprised that somebody more conservative and tougher on the issues has not been chosen,” he said. “I’m a little surprised, actually.”
I think he's surprised

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2015, 11:32 AM

I wouldn't expect Speaker Boehner to try to and push through the "Grand Bargain" with President Obama that they came so close to achieving. The legislative clock just doesn't seem to have enough time. But I can see him pushing through some must pass legislation to keep the far-right faction from shooting the entire GOP in the foot.

GOP divided on ‘untethered’ Boehner’s role in budget talks | TheHill

OAW
It would appear I was onto something ...

House Republican leaders on Tuesday pushed toward a vote on a two-year budget deal despite conservative opposition, relying on the backing of Democrats for the far-reaching pact struck with President Barack Obama.

In his last days as speaker, John Boehner was intent on getting the measure through Congress and head off a market-rattling debt crisis next week and a debilitating government shutdown in December. The deal also would take budget showdowns off the table until after the 2016 presidential and congressional elections, a potential boon to the eventual GOP nominee and incumbents facing tough re-election fights.

"The agreement isn't perfect by any means, but the alternative was a clean debt limit increase" without any entitlement reform or money for troops, Boehner told reporters. "So this is a good deal."

The Ohio Republican later said his goal was to "clean out the barn" for the next speaker. "I've done my best to clean it up," he said.

Conservatives were resigned to the outcome.

"We can't stop it. He's in league with the Democrats," Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., said of Boehner Tuesday morning. "I mean I don't think there's anything you can do at this point."

But Massie also said "it's a long game" and conservatives are winning the war as they have forced Boehner to resign.

The budget vote slated for Wednesday would come on the same day as the GOP caucus nominates its candidate, widely expected to be Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan. The speaker-to-be held off on assessing the deal, saying he had to review it, but he expressed frustration with the rush job.

"I think this process stinks. This is not the way to do the people's business," Ryan told reporters. "Under new management, we're not going to do the people's business this way."

The two-year pact, which would take those volatile fiscal issues off the table until after the 2016 presidential election, would give both the Pentagon and domestic agencies $80 billion in relief from budget constraints in exchange for cuts elsewhere in the budget.

The White House said Tuesday it was "promising" that Democrats and Republicans came together to reach an agreement that would "break the cycle of short-sighted, crisis-driven decision-making." Capitol Hill Democrats are likely to solidly support the agreement, although it gives greater budget relief to the Pentagon than it does domestic programs.

"We successfully secured equal increases in funding defense and non-defense priorities," said House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi. "We have extended the solvency of Social Security Disability Insurance and protected millions of seniors from a significant increase in their Medicare Part B premiums and deductibles next year. Most importantly, we have affirmed that the full faith and credit of the United States is non-negotiable and inviolable."

The legislation would suspend the current $18.1 trillion debt limit through March 2017. The budget portion would increase the current "caps" on total agency spending by $50 billion in 2016 and $30 billion in 2017, offset by savings elsewhere in the budget. And it would permit about $16 billion to be added on top of that in 2016, classified as war funding, with a comparable boost in 2017.

It also would clean up expected problems in Social Security and Medicare by fixing a shortfall looming next year in Social Security payments to the disabled, as well as a large increase in Medicare premiums and deductibles for doctors' visits and other outpatient care.

The emerging budget side of the deal resembles a pact that Ryan fashioned two years ago in concert with Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., to ease automatic spending cuts for the 2014-15 budget years. A lot of conservatives disliked the measure and many on the GOP's right flank are already swinging against the new one, which would apply to the 2016-17 budget years.

"I'm not excited about it at all," Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Ariz., said of the agreement. He called it "a two-year budget deal that raises the debt ceiling for basically the entire term of this presidency."

Boehner was pushed aside by conservatives in his own party after repeatedly turning to Democrats to pass must-do legislation in an era of divided government. Many Republicans also resented being kept in the dark. The pending deal fits both criteria.

Among the proposed spending cuts are curbs on Medicare payments for outpatient services provided by hospitals that have taken over doctors' practices, and an extension of a 2 percentage-point cut in Medicare payments to doctors through the end of a 10-year budget.

The budget side of the deal is aimed at undoing automatic spending cuts which are a byproduct of a 2011 budget and debt agreement, and the failure of Washington to subsequently tackle the government's fiscal woes. GOP defense hawks are a driving force, intent on reversing the automatic cuts and getting more money for the military. A key priority for Democrats is to boost domestic programs.

The focus is on setting a new overall spending limit for agencies whose operating budgets are set by Congress each year. It will be up to the House and Senate Appropriations committees to produce a detailed omnibus spending bill by the Dec. 11 deadline.
Boehner to Push Budget Vote Over Conservative Opposition - ABC News

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2015, 10:57 AM

Well, for all the dysfunction, Ryan just got elected speaker, on the first try, and before the end of the month. I'm kinda impressed. And disappointed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 22, 2015, 05:13 PM

Apparently there's a movement to primary Ryan because he passed the spending bill. Haven't seen much on it, so I don't think it could be called a concerted effort yet.

Also, that was another shutdown prospect averted. Advantage GOP.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2016, 05:26 PM

I haven't seen anything to indicate the Freedom Caucus loves Trump, but I would get intense entertainment if Ryan's reluctance to back Trump sowed more seeds of discord among his majority.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 9, 2016, 09:53 AM

...or Palin could just try to get him primaried.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2016, 09:54 AM

Rumors about Ryan stepping down again. Even if he doesn't I'll be surprised if the Speaker vote goes smoothly. Though if the above is any indication, rumors of dysfunction may be greatly overstated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules