Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Local Price Thread

The Local Price Thread (Page 6)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 27, 2023, 12:38 PM

E15 typically comes in at 88 octane, so it could be that, though it's usually only about $0.20 under E10 around here. E85 is marketed as 85% ethanol but is usually somewhere from 70-85% ethanol depending on the station, season, etc. Most of what I get is about 77%.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2023, 12:43 PM

I very easily could have misread. I was split between parsing the fine print and not crashing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 3, 2023, 08:46 AM

They just did it again - saw E15 got down to 2.71⁹ and the next day it was back at 3.05⁹.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 3, 2023, 03:16 PM

My fave spots are down to $2.69⁹ today. But some stations on opposing corners of highway intersections are playing “bump it up” while keeping pace with the other’s bumps. So about a mile from my house there are two stations that are charging $2.99⁹ for regular, while I can go 3/4 mile in a different direction and pay 30¢ less a gallon…

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2023, 11:47 AM

Cheap Mobil had been solid all week at $3.97⁹, but was up 12¢ today. My control suburban Speedway was 3.44⁹.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 6, 2023, 09:34 PM

Well, my noting the corner "bump it up" price war was off the mark. It was just that those stations were ahead of the curve.

The whole area went up to $2.99⁹ for a day or two. Now it's drifting down a bit, to $2.95⁹ most places. I have no idea what happened or why, but there it is.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2023, 10:27 PM

Out of curiosity, why do you guys care about this so much?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2023, 10:34 AM

In the absence of anything interesting to talk about, conversation naturally reverts to gas prices and weather.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2023, 12:24 PM

Gas is life.

andi*pandi
Mar 7, 2023, 01:03 PM

it is interesting seeing the trends in different places, especially as compares to regional politics and who to blame/praise for prices, supply, etc.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2023, 01:33 PM

This was my actual reason for starting the thread. Wanted to see what things were like in other markets. What’s the current Toronto price?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2023, 02:06 PM

BTW Canadian gas prices are traditionally reported in beaver pelts per milk bag.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2023, 09:20 PM

I actually don’t know, to be honest. I mean I vaguely think it’s somewhere around $1.50 a litre but I could be off wildly. I’ve never felt the need to check or compare gas prices. When I need gas, I stop at a gas station and pay whatever price they charge. Seems like a lot of energy to try and save a few bucks by planning around stopping at a certain station without driving any extra distance? But I don’t commute a whole lot, so maybe if I was driving some gas guzzler a thousand kilometres a week I’d probably be more interested.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2023, 10:05 AM

When I didn’t have to commute, I didn’t care. Now I do, so I do.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2023, 12:23 PM

Yeah, I fill up my little truck once a week, maybe twice at most. I’ll probably start doing a bit more driving soon, but again it’s not crazy.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 11, 2023, 08:23 PM

On Thursday I noticed a couple of stations with $3.19⁹ on their signs. On Friday, everybody was charging $3.19⁹ for regular. Today some of them have backed off to $3.15⁹. I have no clue why these prices have fluctuated as they have...

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2023, 01:31 PM

perhaps they surge on days when Trump is indicted?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2023, 02:34 PM

Possible. Now I’m hoping for more gas price surges.

Locally the going rate fell from $3.15⁹ down to around $3.08⁹ over the past few days. Dunno what’s next, but I’m still remembering the summer of 2008, when regular was over $4.50⁹, even here in San Antonio…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2023, 01:58 PM

Cheap city Mobil: $4.09⁹
Contol suburban Speedway: $3.79⁹

Surprisingly, I passed a different Mobil in the city, right off two interstates no less… also $3.79⁹. Didn’t see any “cash price” type fine print.

Suburban Corn syrup: $3.29⁹

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 27, 2023, 07:12 PM

Here’s something that’s curious, at least to me.

Nowadays, gas stations and convenience stores are no longer locked to each other. For example, there are local 7-11s that have different brands of gas, and local “refiner’s brand” stations can have different convenience stores attached.

So I’m curious if the weirdness in prices I’ve seen lately has more to do with the gas brand’s directives than where the station is located.

Case in point: local Valero station, about 3/4 mile from my house popped their regular price up to $3.19+ a few days ago, and the other Valero stations around have been pretty much in step with this station.

Meanwhile, the grocery chain stations (H-E-B) has been pretty steady, except yesterday the closest of these popped up their price to $3.09+…for the day, and it’s now back to $2.99+. These stations aren’t lockstepped; sometimes they adjust their prices (apparently) related to their location.

By the way, I’m using “$3.98+” instead of going to the trouble to get that darn superscript to work on my iPad. Just so you know.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2023, 07:50 PM

In general, the norm here is for the convenience stores to be “house brand”. We have some Circle Ks. Very few 7-11s I can recall.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 27, 2023, 09:24 PM

I've read that gas stations primarily make their profit on the store side. So a mismatch between gas and store is odd.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2023, 04:18 PM

My off-the-cuff guess is when there’s a mismatch, the fuel provider charges the franchise owner more for fuel and infrastructure, probably to the point where fuel operates at a loss. Fuel providers give better rates to their own franchises, so the fuel and infrastructure is break-even for them, but in exchange, the provider demands a bigger cut from the convenience side.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2023, 11:05 AM

Finally saw E85 for real. It was at $2.99⁹, or a dollar off the regular.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 14, 2023, 09:44 AM

Here we are, two weeks later, and the local prices are still going up and down “like a crazy monkey is at the switch.” I can’t make sense of it.

Local refiner brand: up to $3.39 for a day, then down to $3.19, and now $3.09. Grocery brand: up to $3.19, there for a while, then down to to $3.09 where it’s been for a couple of days.

While I’m not hanging on every word in the news, I haven’t seen anything that should cause a 10% rise in retail gas prices (the $3.39), or a drop to where they are now. I think the gas price-setters are just making things up as they go.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 14, 2023, 11:18 AM

I expect gas prices to become more variable as the EV population increases. When demand falls and becomes erratic, you'd expect prices to jump around a lot more.

But we're maybe 10 years away from that point. EVs have not hit 50% of new car sales yet, much less 50% of the existing fleet.

Glenn, it may be a local effect. Prices here in CA have been steady from week to week. Currently around $4.80 a gallon.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2023, 12:57 AM

It was $4.44⁹ at a bunch of places in the city, including the cheap Mobil.

Had to go to the hood. That was $4.14⁹.

Finally ended up at my suburban Speedway where it was $4.27⁹. That surprised me. I was expecting cheaper.

reader50
Administrator
May 24, 2023, 02:27 AM

Eggs have been dropping. A week ago, it was $5 for 18. Today it's $4.29 for 18.

The price for a dozen involves coupons, so I'm not sure of the real dozen price.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2023, 09:23 AM

It’s been ping-ponging plus/minus 20¢.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 15, 2023, 01:12 PM

Same here. No clear rhyme or reason, except “they can.” After all, it is “summer driving season,” so higher prices are expected.

Thorzdad
Jun 15, 2023, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Same here. No clear rhyme or reason, except “they can.” After all, it is “summer driving season,” so higher prices are expected.
And once cooler weather comes, it’s “winter formulations”, so prices are...um...higher.

FWIW, the Saudis decided last week or so to cut production again, so that’ll be a handy excuse.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2023, 05:07 PM

Cooler weather being right now. It’s been autumn here for the last few days.

Thorzdad
Jun 15, 2023, 06:56 PM

We had low temps late last week and through the weekend. Mid 80s today.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 16, 2023, 01:33 PM

South Texas has summer weather with a vengeance. Today’s high is supposed to be 102 or 103F with heat indices around 115F. Lovely for mid-June, right?

Here we don’t have “winter formulation” gasoline, but the transition time between “driving season” and “staying home until the holidays season” features weirder gas prices than typical.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2023, 09:53 PM

Oooh… got $3.77⁹ at a Speedway near my control. Cheapest I’ve had in awhile.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 11, 2023, 01:11 AM

"near my control"?

Might want to check a suddenly low price. Make sure they didn't switch to a higher-alcohol version.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2023, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
control
As in “experimental control”. In this context, the gas station I go to the most.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2023, 08:29 AM

The motorcycle requires premium E0 fuel. The severely impacts my ability to save gas money by riding a motorcycle. The truck at 12mpg on 2.59 E85 is $0.22/mile. The motorcycle at $4.04/gal 91 octane and 39mpg is $0.10/mile. The last tank I did a lot of...early morning highway commuting and only got 33mpg. That's $0.12/mile. If you include paying registration, insurance, and maintenance on another vehicle and noting that motorcycle tires cost about the same as car tires but only last 7-10,000 miles, there's not much of a savings there at all.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2023, 10:35 AM

Not much savings, maybe. But it’s fun, right? Please tell me riding a motorcycle is more fun - even commuting - than driving a car…Because it was always more fun for me.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 11, 2023, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The motorcycle at $4.04/gal 91 octane and 39mpg is $0.10/mile. The last tank I did a lot of...early morning highway commuting and only got 33mpg.
My Honda Fit gets 38 mpg (highway) with at least 5x the weight, and a far larger cross section. Is 33-39 mpg normal? I was expecting a motorcycle to exceed 100 mpg.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2023, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The motorcycle requires premium E0 fuel. The severely impacts my ability to save gas money by riding a motorcycle. The truck at 12mpg on 2.59 E85 is $0.22/mile. The motorcycle at $4.04/gal 91 octane and 39mpg is $0.10/mile. The last tank I did a lot of...early morning highway commuting and only got 33mpg. That's $0.12/mile. If you include paying registration, insurance, and maintenance on another vehicle and noting that motorcycle tires cost about the same as car tires but only last 7-10,000 miles, there's not much of a savings there at all.
Sometimes I wonder if I’m on the spectrum. Do you ever wonder this?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2023, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
My Honda Fit gets 38 mpg (highway) with at least 5x the weight, and a far larger cross section. Is 33-39 mpg normal? I was expecting a motorcycle to exceed 100 mpg.
Apparently it's normal for this bike. Owners report 33-45mpg depending on riding conditions. Under 70mph it gets better, but over that it is not good. Motorcycle have orders of magnitude worse air resistance than a car. Where the coefficient of drag of a normal car is like 0.35 and a Prius is 0.24 (smaller is better), a motorcycle is 0.5-1.0 or more, so much more fuel is spent smashing air out of the way, where it gently flows over a car. Motorcycle tires are sticky to help with cornering grip, where car tires are much harder and waste less energy sticking to the pavement. Motorcycles are generally geared for performance, so at top gear on the highway I am between 4000-5000rpm, where a normal car would be under 2000rpm. Running higher RPM increases frictional losses in the engine, so more of the fuel's energy is being wasted as heat instead of converted into forward motion.

Most of my motorcycles (old carbureted Japanese bikes) have averaged 40-45mpg. The 650cc version of my bike gets 50-55mpg. If I was picking out a bike today to purchase and commute on, it would be the CB500X, which gets about 65mpg.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
There's a guy on the Mazda forums that I am certain is on the spectrum. In every single post of his, he is condescending, rude, completely oblivious to social cues, misunderstands nuance, is extremely one-track-minded and absolutely cannot let a single little thing go. He will pound a point into the ground until everyone else has given up on the conversation and run away. Most people have left the forum because he is completely intolerable, but because of his high technical competence and singular obsession over one topic (this car), he has a vast knowledge of repair and modification, but with every answer he gives, you are punished for not knowing as much as him, for not remembering that one post about this from 12 years ago that he clearly remembers, and for being so stupid that you actually had to ask the question.

From wikipedia:
As a pervasive developmental disorder, Asperger syndrome is distinguished by a pattern of symptoms rather than a single symptom. It is characterized by qualitative impairment in social interaction, by stereotyped and restricted patterns of behavior, activities, and interests, and by no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or general delay in language.Intense preoccupation with a narrow subject, one-sided verbosity, restricted prosody, and physical clumsiness are typical of the condition, but are not required for diagnosis.
Social interaction

A lack of demonstrated empathy affects aspects of social relatability for persons with Asperger syndrome. Individuals with Asperger syndrome experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or to seek shared enjoyments or achievements with others (e.g., showing others objects of interest); a lack of social or emotional reciprocity; and impaired nonverbal behaviors in areas such as eye contact, facial expression, posture, and gesture.[19]

People with Asperger syndrome may not be as withdrawn around others, compared with those with other forms of autism; they approach others, even if awkwardly. For example, a person with Asperger syndrome may engage in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic, while misunderstanding or not recognizing the listener's feelings or reactions, such as a wish to change the topic of talk or end the interaction.
(emphasis mine)

Then I think about the times I was that guy on other forums.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2023, 05:00 PM

In terms of local “that guy”, besson has Asperger’s.

When he mentioned it, I was like, “it all makes sense now”.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2023, 09:10 PM

I can weigh in on this from a professional perspective.

We are ALL “on the spectrum”. Really. That’s the point of “a spectrum”. Some of us have real issues getting along without tons of help, and some of us sail through life without a bobble.

Does it get in your way? Do you have real trouble with everyday activities? Not from how you post…

A high school friend of my wife’s was “a jerk” in high school. He grew up to be a published author, husband and father. At some point in his late 40s or early 50s, he was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. Would a diagnosis in 1972 have helped this man? Not at all. He learned how to manage his “jerkiness” in order to get along, and is a very successful person.

The latest version of the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) - the handbook for diagnosing all sorts of stuff - has folded Asperger into the umbrella of Autism, but many of us who actually need to apply this stuff consider the social issues in Asperger Syndrome kind of a different “axis” of the same spectrum. The shrinks who contribute to the DSM don’t seem to have any actual experience treating people on the spectrum. Or with ADHD, or a bunch of other conditions…are farther along the spectrum than some other folks.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 12, 2023, 02:52 PM

$4.45⁹ at the off-brand station
$4.59⁹ at ARCO
$5.09⁹ at the Stickup

A modest improvement since last time. I wasn't paying attention, so no idea if it happened recently, or gradually over a couple months.

Allowing for inflation, prices are back to the pre-war level (low $4s).

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2023, 11:51 AM

In terms of local “that guy”, besson has Asperger’s.

When he mentioned it, I was like, “it all makes sense now”.
This sent me down a rabbit hole yesterday of 2013-2017 posts. It made me wonder again if ANY engagement is better than less engagement, but it's positive. A huge amount of those posts were BadKosh and Chongo parroting media talking points, CTP doing a bad job of arguing in bad faith, and everyone else getting all riled up about it. Besson had a lot of "but why [social thing]?" type of posts.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...22#post4031922

In hindsight, I was unkind.

For me, it's the long rambling about a weird, specific topic that only I'm interested in, and a complete lack of interest in other people. I don't ask questions of other people's interests, almost to a fault.
"Intense preoccupation with a narrow subject, one-sided verbosity...a lack of social or emotional reciprocity"

What makes you think you're somewhere in the neurodiversity universe?

andi*pandi
Jul 13, 2023, 02:01 PM

Difficulty picking up on social cues.
Filter rarely on.
Focus either very on, or very off.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2023, 02:59 PM

As long as we're self-diagnosing, what about adult ADHD?
⬛carelessness and lack of attention to detail
✅continually starting new tasks before finishing old ones
✅poor organisational skills
✅inability to focus or prioritise
✅continually losing or misplacing things
✅forgetfulness
✅restlessness and edginess
⬛difficulty keeping quiet, and speaking out of turn
✅blurting out responses and often interrupting others
✅mood swings, irritability and a quick temper
⬛inability to deal with stress
✅extreme impatience
✅taking risks in activities, often with little or no regard for personal safety or the safety of others – for example, driving dangerously

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 13, 2023, 07:34 PM

Laminar, that’s essentially diagnostic. The key is whether or not those issues keep you from being able to function more or less OK. Quite literally “it’s only a disorder if it prevents you from functioning”. These issues can eventually become more than one’s coping and self-management skills can mitigate as an adult. It’s very unpleasant to have to run into that brick wall when you have apparently done extremely well your whole life, but that’s what it usually takes to first seek help and then to be diagnosed.

I’m thinking that this particular sidebar might be its own thread. If there’s enough need to continue this line of discussion, I can make that happen.

andi*pandi
Jul 13, 2023, 09:09 PM

I was thinking that it merited that also.

Laminar, your list sounds an awful lot like turning 50. When younger many things were not as irritating as they are now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules