Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > When are dual 2Ghz G5s shipping?

When are dual 2Ghz G5s shipping?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 04:10 PM

stevep63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 04:21 PM

Well, if you belive what Apple SAYS, the earliest orders will ship on the 22nd. However, since I haven't read of even ONE non-educational customer getting theirs, and they only have three weeks left to make their ship date, I don't believe Apple will ship them on time.

In fact, I've taken bets on it. Face it guys, our Macs ARE NOT going to arrive on the 22nd! No way no how! A few, yes, but the most of us will get screwed, just like last time.

I orderd my stock dual on June 26th, just three days after the keynote directly from Apple, so I'm in the same boat as the rest of you guys. This sucks.

Know when I predict we'll get our duals? Around the middle of November! Unless THOUSANDS of people get their duals every day, there's no way Apple is going to make their ship date on time....again!

-Pissed at Apple Dude

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 04:23 PM

Darn. I was hoping they would be in stores for us to walk in and buy around the end of Sept.

I will still cross my fingers :-)

stevep63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 04:57 PM

Well, you can certainly go in and look at them in stores now, at least in Atlanta you can, but you can't buy them. My store doesn't even have a dual - it only has a 1.6 and a 1.8.

My guess is that it will be somtime in January before you'll be able to actually go into a store and BUY a dual right there on the spot, but you'll probably be able to buy a 1.6 or a 1.8 much sooner than that....probably in November.

Hey guys, I'm not trying to be bitter about this, I'm just trying to be realistic due to the evidence (or lack thereof) of dual G5s shipping.

In short, I predict that this will be one of the biggest shipping screw ups in the companies' history.

Man I hope I'm wrong!

-SJ

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by stevep63:

In short, I predict that this will be one of the biggest shipping screw ups in the companies' history.

Man I hope I'm wrong!

-SJ

Nah, they already had one worse than this earlier this year w/ the 17" PB.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

pcp_ip
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2003, 05:07 PM

One order for 1100 G5s held up for a month the orders for everyone else? There must be at least 10,000 orders that got bumped. Don't you think at SOME of the other 8,900 orders would have made it out the door?

Doesn't anyone else think that something else happened here? They were never "on track to ship all G5s in august." The VT order wasn't big enough to stop ALL shipping for 30 days. apple had another problem- and knew right up until 8/26 that they couldn't ship 2Ghz's until the end of September.

Jermsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by stevep63:
My guess is that it will be somtime in January before you'll be able to actually go into a store and BUY a dual right there on the spot, but you'll probably be able to buy a 1.6 or a 1.8 much sooner than that....probably in November.
You can already get a 1.6 (not sure about 1.8) in stores.

stevep63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by pcp_ip:
One order for 1100 G5s held up for a month the orders for everyone else? There must be at least 10,000 orders that got bumped. Don't you think at SOME of the other 8,900 orders would have made it out the door?

Doesn't anyone else think that something else happened here? They were never "on track to ship all G5s in august." The VT order wasn't big enough to stop ALL shipping for 30 days. apple had another problem- and knew right up until 8/26 that they couldn't ship 2Ghz's until the end of September.
EXACTLY! Something else happened and Apple DID know about it! What ticks me off more is that they're still doing it! Why don't they just say 'will ship before the end of the year'? Sure, that's vague, but at least it's honest and you wouldn't anger so many customers.

BTW, how late were the 17" PBs?

-SJ

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 06:57 PM

I think it's strange that the ship date everyone has is 9/22 and it seems that other than the VT supercomputer that no one seems to be getting any dual G5's (yes I know of one but come on). The timing is very suspect with the Paris Expo next week. Dare I dream that Apple wants to announce the duals will be shipping with 10.3? Who knows, but it would be nice as 10.3 seems to be getting closer to release.

The only reason I bring this point up is that 10.2 server is a no go on the G5. Apple may not even bother trying to update 10.2 serevr for the G5 and wait for 10.3. Apple may be having some issues with dual support on the G5 under 10.2.7. Being a stopgap OS update for the G5 it seems like too much effort to put in a release that will only have limited hardware support and useful life. Maybe they realize it may be easier to ship a dual G5 with 10.3 than to have to worry about problems with a dual G5 and 10.2. This is purely speculation but something else has to be at work here for this delay.

-Jerry C.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2003, 07:16 PM

My Edu. Inst. (K-12) Dual CTO G5 is slated to ship the week of the 16th. blah!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

GeoMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by pcp_ip:

keep it in perspective that a very small sample of Mac users who ordered a dual G5 are members of MacNN. Some people may very well have gotten them.
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30
GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

pcp_ip
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2003, 10:34 PM

keep it in perspective that a very small sample of Mac users who ordered a dual G5 are members of MacNN. Some people may very well have gotten them.
There's been news of ONE delivery (xlr8yourmac) in the whole online mac community. I think we would have heard if 2Ghz machines where shipping in mass. I can see 1100 orders bumping shipping by a day, maybe a week- but if it takes a month to recover from that order and get new ones out the door- then apple never would have been able to ship all the orders that they originally promised on 8/26.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2003, 10:59 PM

I know of two. One is that xlr8yourmac one and the other is a guy a who got it thru his education order.

I haven't heard of any others.

kevin_stevens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 03:55 AM

Actually the PB17s weren't late - not like this. I ordered one of those day of announcement. The ship day flexed around and went from 4-6-8 weeks (or whatever, don't remember details), but once there was an actual date on the order, that's the one Apple hit for just about everyone. They did a special FedEx drop-ship thing that was an industry first, and their was some weirdness with the FedEx tracking info and Customs hold-ups with some shipments, but they were mostly related to already-shipped systems arriving a day or so late.

This delay is ridiculous in comparison, and I totally agree that the egregious lying and stonewalling from Apple is the worst of it. Ship the things or don't ship them, but tell me which you're doing so I can plan my life, and quit the material misrepresentation (otherwise known as lying) about what is actually happening.

KeS

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 04:06 AM

From what i've heard, even from the release, is that they will be shipping in quantity in the third week of september.
I heard this many times after the announcement, and with all these delays it seems that its gonna be true.
I highly doubt the VA 1100 Cluster held us up this long.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 07:50 AM

If it makes you feel any better, the Dual G5 I ordered arrived last week (sept. 6) with no warning. ( This was an edu order placed in late June.) It appeared very suddenly--my institution had no date, no word they were coming, then there they were the next day.

So, keep your eyes open.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
If it makes you feel any better, the Dual G5 I ordered arrived last week (sept. 6) with no warning. ( This was an edu order placed in late June.) It appeared very suddenly--my institution had no date, no word they were coming, then there they were the next day.
So that makes 3 I've heard of now, all of which are educational orders. The strange part is that xlr8yourmac guy didn't order his until early July.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 08:48 AM

A friend of mine did receive his dual 2ghz g5 a week ago. I did, in fact, get a screenshot, of both the sys profiler and about this mac.. and have seen his office before many times enough to know that he doesnt' tell lies.

To leave it short.. they are on the way.

BTW just guessing from what I've heard.. these sound a tiny bit louder then the LCD imacs do... sorta high pithced but quiet. (mostly HD noise I imagine).
Aloha

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2003, 08:53 AM

So voyageur, gotta ask, how fast is it? The last couple of days, I've been waffling a bit, considering the 1.8 in stock at my local Apple dealer. I've got 2 Gig of Corsair XMS Low Latency memory waiting to go, and the wait is painful. Any feedback you can give would be appreciated. Also, Assuming I hold out for the Dual (probably will), I'll be running every benchmark I can to give the community some sense on the benefit of getting the fastest memory out there. I paid approximately 100% more for these sticks; hope they make a measurable difference.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 08:56 AM

I'm assuming that g5 dual 2ghz will feel about 6 times faster then a 800mhz g4.

That'd be about 3-4 times faster then a dual 800.

Hrmm.. yummy!
Aloha

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by MisterRogers:
So voyageur, gotta ask, how fast is it? The last couple of days, I've been waffling a bit, considering the 1.8 in stock at my local Apple dealer. I've got 2 Gig of Corsair XMS Low Latency memory waiting to go, and the wait is painful. Any feedback you can give would be appreciated. Also, Assuming I hold out for the Dual (probably will), I'll be running every benchmark I can to give the community some sense on the benefit of getting the fastest memory out there. I paid approximately 100% more for these sticks; hope they make a measurable difference.
Benchmarks!!! PSBench 7 with the G5-optimized plug-in would be nice. See here and here.

glockfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 09:50 AM

my ship date is 10/9 or before. I am edu customer (teacher) and the guy on the phone said i will get it before 10/9. Apple called me yesterday to make sure all was well and that i should see the mac "shortly" we shall see

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by glockfan:
my ship date is 10/9 or before. I am edu customer (teacher) and the guy on the phone said i will get it before 10/9. Apple called me yesterday to make sure all was well and that i should see the mac "shortly" we shall see
I ordered mine for education(My Mom and Dad are teachers) and my ship date is 10/6. Why didn't they call me?! Should I call them?

I am moving to Chicago in a week and half(20th) and I will have to change my ship location.

Can I request them now to ship it before the 20th no matter what? I would like the new Mouse and Keyboard with it ;p
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by MisterRogers:
So voyageur, gotta ask, how fast is it? .
Well, I'm not a benchmarks person. Plus, I'm just setting this dualie up before I hand it over to its real owner ( sniff), so I can't load on some of the software I'd really like to try (like Photoshop!). But I did do a few quick "real-life" timed tasks and compared the results to the same tasks on my dual G4 1 GHz.

Fastest startup time on the G5 was 35 seconds, which is maybe 20% faster than on the G4. The G5 got faster each time I booted up for the first 4-5 bootups, so this represents the last and fastest time.

Illustrator launches in 5 sec on the dual G5, vs. 15 sec on the dual G4.

Most other apps I tried (Word, Excel, Safari, IE Explorer, AppleWorks) launch about twice as fast.

Formatting a Word document's bibliography via EndNote with 136 references was about 25% faster on the G5 than the G4.

Scrolling through Word is a little smoother.

If it's easy and not too time-consuming to run a benchmark, I would be happy to do it, if you can recommend a free one to me, and where to get it.

I would love to hear anybody else's experiences when you receive yours.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2003, 12:56 PM

I'm faculty at a Big 10 university, and I'm told by the purchasing people that they don't expect their stock of Dual 2.0's to arrive until 10/8.

Geez. That's still 4 weeks away.

I wonder if Apple is having software issues with the 2.0's holding up their release...?


freaktornado
Sep 11, 2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I'm faculty at a Big 10 university, and I'm told by the purchasing people that they don't expect their stock of Dual 2.0's to arrive until 10/8.
What was the order date?

NotAReligion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2003, 12:54 PM

As of Wed, the earliest the 9/22 dualies (non-edu) was 9/15/2003.

(edit: orders 2 and 3 days after keynote)
( Last edited by NotAReligion; Sep 12, 2003 at 03:19 PM. )

GeoMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2003, 02:51 PM

just spoke to a sales guy at the Cambridgeside Apple Store in MA, and asked when the duallies will be availabel to buy in store (they have 1.6 & 1.8 already). He said "officially" they've been told they should have them at the end of the month, but unofficially "no way". He wouldn't go into more detail. Anyway, don't knwo if that will hold true for online orders or not, but I will say my general impression of the guy was that he wasn't talking out of his ass.
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30
GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

johnt519
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2003, 04:30 PM

I called the Apple Store today, as I saw my credit card has a "temporary charge" by Apple on 9/6/03 on it. I ordered my dual on 7/23/03 through the edu site. At the time, estimated shipping was 7 to 10 weeks, and my "ship on or before" date is 10/2/03. When I called, Stacy said that based on my 7 to 10 week figure, it "should" ship anytime between 9/11/03 and 10/2/03.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2003, 07:20 PM

It should ship within a month then
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
It should ship within a month then
Mine through Apple Ed., ordered 9/06, shows on or before 10/10. OR, as early as 9/29. I don't think at this point, with all the delays, and confusion that Apple has a good grip on the order G5s ship to us. Just get them out the door.

RMR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2003, 01:37 AM

I've seen one at my campus computer store. Definite dual processor. Unfortunately they had it set up you couldn't do much but play a Harry Potter DVD. Safari does launch fast, less than one bounce.

As previously reported, it's tall, more of a macrocomputer. Even the back looks pretty good. I might have to rethink hiding mine under the desk. In a noisy room, I had to put my ear right to the back to hear the fans. The exhaust wasn't particularly warm, but it have this "hot electronics" smell that I didn't care for, which I got a whiff of while trying to hear the fan.

Not all edu orders are accelerated. My 8/5 dual order is not listed as shipping until 10/16. This is later than some edu dual orders I've seen discussed, but this could be the 250Gb hard drive.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2003, 02:40 AM

FWIW, I ordered through the Apple Developer Connection on 9/11. Got an estimated ship date of 10/17.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by RealMac:
FWIW, I ordered through the Apple Developer Connection on 9/11. Got an estimated ship date of 10/17.
Okay RealMac, now I am jealous.

You are going to have more power then me. Congratulations!

TC
Senior User
Sep 13, 2003, 05:36 AM

The truth is out there!

Nothing to see, move along.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
Okay RealMac, now I am jealous.

You are going to have more power then me. Congratulations!
Yes, it will be a nice improvement. In the meantime I'm adapting to this WinXP equipped Dell system.

Overall, you still have a lot more horsepower at your disposal. It's going to be a nice jump from what I was accustomed to.

Even when I bought the dual 867 a little over a year ago I felt like the system bus was a bottleneck. The L3 cache and apple's system architecture helped significantly, but there was still a certain something about having a bus 3-4 times slower than in the PC arena. Not to mention the overwhelmingly large Megahertz gap..

Ranting aside, this baby is going to scream!

I wonder if Apple will be revving up production capacity in the coming weeks and bump our orders up accordingly. I doubt the majority of people have cancelled their orders, but I'm sure some non hardcore folks may have ordered a 1.6 or 1.8 unit instead.

Maybe it's pipe dreaming but it sure would be nice...
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

jrod7350
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by johnt519:
I called the Apple Store today, as I saw my credit card has a "temporary charge" by Apple on 9/6/03 on it. I ordered my dual on 7/23/03 through the edu site. At the time, estimated shipping was 7 to 10 weeks, and my "ship on or before" date is 10/2/03. When I called, Stacy said that based on my 7 to 10 week figure, it "should" ship anytime between 9/11/03 and 10/2/03.
Hmm, I'm in the same boat as you, ordering on 7/23 and the apple site is listing as on or before 10/2. Ugh, I wish it would ship RSN.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2003, 08:12 AM

I wonder if Steve J. will address the shipping delays at his Paris keynote.


Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 05:47 PM

I also ordered through education.

Mac G5 Dual 2Ghz, Radeon 9800, 500 gig HD.

Order Date: 9/09

On or Before: 10/15

Here's to hoping some of these shipping dates can be fulfilled. I'd not heard about when a good chunk of Dual G5's will be sent out besides from here. You guys say they'll start shipping at the end of Sept? Can I get some confirmation on this timeframe?

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 07:25 PM

The past batches of new Apple products I've (pre-)ordered via Educational Institution ordering have all shipped on a Sunday: 12" PowerBook, dual 500MHz G4, etc. My Earliest Ship Date is tomorrow.

Here's hoping!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

SF_VR6
Sep 15, 2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by Link:
I'm assuming that g5 dual 2ghz will feel about 6 times faster then a 800mhz g4.

That'd be about 3-4 times faster then a dual 800.

Hrmm.. yummy!
Does this make it 7-8 times faster than my dual 450 then?

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 09:22 AM

OFF TOPIC... sorry...
Anyone who saw the 24 Season 3 promo...

Did anyone else see the G5 in Jack's office?
( Last edited by jbartone; Sep 15, 2003 at 09:29 AM. )

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by SF_VR6:
Does this make it 7-8 times faster than my dual 450 then?
So, how much faster is it than my 500 mhz iBook?

LSN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 09:00 PM

Excuse the new guy here, (that's me):

I was clearing my desk earlier today and had a MacZone catalog under the pile. I rang'em up and said, ' G5 2ghz DP's in stock?' The guy took forever to answer the question, but said he used to have a pile of backorders in his system, and they were gone, so he assumes they have been shipped.

--> LSN

Eugene Fields
Sep 15, 2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
Don't ask as I can't elaberate. This is real info...

The issue has been the Motherboards, have been revised slightly, (thats all I know) to make them work Better.

All I was able to acertain is that it was an Easy revision not to complicated, but enough to hold us all up. As of last Friday No CTO's were yet built and shipped. That may change this week. Okay you got the Real Story now. They are still feeling like they will be On Time with the shipping!!

Messages 2 - 8 of 9 __ Previous_|_Next_|_View All
Post Message
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 16, 2003, 01:28 AM

My order for a dual G5 is set to ship on or before 9/23 -- for what it's worth.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

freaktornado
Sep 16, 2003, 02:48 AM

This guy at ArsTechnica reports his Dual G5 shipping (non-edu). He's a respected member, I have no doubt it's true, and great news!

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 03:50 AM

I demanded an upgrade to FedEx Overnight when my order got delayed... so my Dual 2Ghz G5 will be here today before noon!

Ya-hoo!

Just arrived in my inbox:
Buyers Name: XXXXXXXXXXX
Web Order Number: xxxxxxxx
Apple Sales Order Number: xxxxxxxxxx
Apple Delivery Number: xxxxxxxxxx
Apple Customer Number: xxxxxx
PO Number: xxxxxxxxxx

Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 09/15/2003. Transit time will
depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight
options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive
within 2 - 5 business days of shipment.

Product # Product Description Qty Ext Price
__________ ________________________________________ ____ ________________

__________________________________________________ _______________________
M9032LL/A PMG5 2.0GHZDP/512/160/SD/R9600PRO-USA 1 2,999.00
With the following configuration:

Processor 065-4227 Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
Memory 065-4356 512MB DDR400 (PC3200) - 2x256
Hard Drive 065-4376 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
Optical Drive 065-4168 Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
Graphics Support 065-4449 ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Fibre Chl PCI 065-4491 None
Modem 065-4166 56k V.92 Internal Modem
BlueTooth 065-4142 None
Airport 065-1899 None
Keyboard Language 065-4161 Apple Keyboard & Mouse
Mac OS Language 065-4160 Mac OS X
Country Kit 065-4159 Country Kit
__________________________________________________ _______________________

The above products have been shipped to:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SANTA ROSA CA 95404

Carrier Name: FEDERAL EXPRESS
Carrier Tracking Number(s): xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can also check your tracking numbers at:
http://www.fedex.com/us/

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 08:46 AM

Looks like only stock configurations are shipping (from the reports I have read). Hope they start getting the CTOs out soon.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by giantmike:
Looks like only stock configurations are shipping (from the reports I have read). Hope they start getting the CTOs out soon.
What does CTO stand for?

Forum Links
Forum Rules