Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OW5.0 final is out

OW5.0 final is out (Page 2)
Linds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
My guess is that your collections file is messed up somehow. Try quitting OW, deleting or moving all the groups.plist files in the OW support folder and relaunching OW to see if you don't get those things back...
I had the same problem, and this fixed mine also.

Originally posted by Mike S.:
If you guys can create a wicked efficient and fast disk cache you'd be golden.
A high speed disk cache can do wonders for performance, the OW 5.0 cache doesn't seem to have a negligible impact on performance, in some cases it actually makes things a little slower (on two different machines).
Opera, by far, has the most powerful cache so that's the benchmark to shoot for, IMO. If you can equal them I think the performance feedback would go bye-bye.
I agree will all of this, the most shocking thing coming from Opera Win/Linux to pretty much any other browser on the market was that visiting pages in history wasn't completely instant (this includes Opera for OS X, which is like driving a fast car on a road made of something really sticky) and I truly miss this feature.

There also seems to be some bug concerning certain pages completely redrawing 3 times at apparently great CPU expense. Oh, and there's no up button?

Other than that, I'm loving Omniweb, I must admit. Option dragging links, shift to target images if they are also links, the arbitrary search field adding, and workspace tracking, are all excellent.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 12:41 PM

For those of you who are unsure what the Workspaces function is I've posted some example Workspaces to my iDisk for download:

The files are compressed by .Mac, so you will need to unstuff them before you can use them. Once un-stuffed all you have to do is double click the <name>.owworkspace file and it will open in OmniWeb 5 and be added to your workspace list. Note that I am using a 15" Powerbook and I browse with my windows occupying the whole screen so if you want or need to resize the workspace window to fit your screen, hold the shift key as you press the green resize button (you may need to do this twice to cycle between fully minimised and fully zoomed).

There are four Workspaces - all are a single window with multiple tabs and all auto-save the state of the window as it is used. That is, any newly opened tabs or windows during a browsing session will be restored when you restart - you can reset the original state by selecting to restore the "snapshot". If you don't like the sites I've got in the workspaces, close their thumbs (and open your own preferred ones) then take a fresh snapshot to update your workspace. If after that, you add or close thumbs, you will then restore to your set-up for that workspace, not mine. Workspaces can be managed using the Workspaces pane - from the Workspaces menu, select "Show Workspaces"

Here's a brief description of the workspaces:

APOD and others.owworkspace - tabs of websites for APOD (astronomy picture of the day), EPOD (earth picture of the day), NASA's Visible Earth, Mars Express ESA, NASA Mars Rovers, and the Cassini-Huygens Saturn mission (fwiw, I use this one to download lots of fantastic desktop images).

Mac Rumour Sites.owworkspace - tabs for AppleInsider, MacRumours, MacRumours Buyer's Guide, RAILhead design and Think Secret.

Mac Sites.owworkspace - tabs for numerous Mac and computer related websites such as CNET.com, MacCentral, MacSurfer, The Register, Surfin' Safari, etc.

MacUpdate and Versiontracker.owworkspace - tabs for various MU and VT sites for a few apps that I like to follow at those pages (such as OmniWeb itself).

I hope that these examples give you a better perspective of how Workspaces can be incredibly useful!

P.S. For those of you on slower connections, the APOD and Mac sites workspaces will take a long time to load as there are many tabs in them and the APOD workspace is very image heavy.

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
I've posted some example Workspaces
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

rojogeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 02:43 PM

Im impressed so far except Im having a terrible time accessing banking and investment sites. Im not sure if this issue can be solved, but seems like a good standby browser since Ive already upgraded from 4.0. Hopefully these sites can be accessed and I can return OW to default browser.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 03:43 PM

I just wondered - all the other pages have beautiful full-colour icons throughout, yet the OW5 pages have these quite bland black and white icons.
We're still doing full-color spiffy Aqua icons in the apps and in some parts of the website... that was just an aesthetic decision by the guy responsible for those pages' art.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

JimJimJimJim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 03:53 PM

I posted this message to the Chimera mail list almost 2 years ago.

Just think, Chimera would have the cool thumbnails and other functionality of OW if they had listened to me years ago.

At the bottom is a link to the screenshot I posted
-- Original Message --

Here are some ideas I have for Chimera. I am not sure the attachment will
go through. I have saved it at a really low jpeg encoding. If this doesn't
go through maybe I get someone to post it somewhere. If I can get it
posted, I'll see about posting the higher quality image.

First is replacement of the tabs. I was thinking of a drawer on the left
side called a 'shelf'. Thumbnails would be used with site name listed
below. Maybe instead of the site name, the actual page name could be used.
That way there are 2 ways of 'recognizing' the thumbnail. The thumbnail
shows the site and the page name is displayed if you have drilled down into
the site. If there are more thumbnails than space in the shelf, then one of
two things could happen. Either a scrollbar shows, or the thumbnails could
scale smaller.

Or instead of a shelf, maybe Chimera could create an 'internal frame' on
the left side. The left of the frame would show the thumbnails and the
right would show the website. Sort of like the ad driven ISP's constantly
show ads at the bottom of the browser.

Second is the little 'bull's-eye' in the bookmark line. Chimera would
keep track of the times you visited each site and would keep a dynamic
bookmark menu of your top 20 sites. Make it easy to view your most visited
sites and as your habits change, this menu would make things easy.

Third, a way to open multiple selected links.

If only one link is selected then the user can open the link in a new
window or open the link and place it in the shelf.

If there are multiple links then the user has three choices. The user can
open each of the links in a new window each. Or the user can open each of
the links in the shelf. Or open a new window and place all of the links in
the shelf of the new window.

I have all of the options in the dropdown menu, but of course, if the user
selects a single link then only the single link options would show. If the
user selects multiple links links, then the 3 multiple options would be
displayed.

The image, as I mentioned, it at a very low encoding rate to lower the
image's size. The thumbnails in the 'shelf' are pretty fuzzy in the image
but look great are the full resolution. Also you'll notice the chimera icon
in each of the thumbnails. I grabbed them from the dock to save time.

Here is the image I posted

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by rojogeek:
Im impressed so far except Im having a terrible time accessing banking and investment sites. Im not sure if this issue can be solved, but seems like a good standby browser since Ive already upgraded from 4.0. Hopefully these sites can be accessed and I can return OW to default browser.
I've been able to access all sorts of banking and investment sites:

Key bank
American Express
Chase
Discover
MBNA
Providian
AG Edwards &c.

If you're more specific about which sites are failing (and in what way they're failing) we might be able to help - sometimes simply identifying as another browser (something you can set as a per-site preference) makes things work as expected...
cpac

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 04:22 PM

Does anyone know how to make the Favorites item in the Bookmark menu stick? Mine keeps disappearing and reappearing on two systems.

It gets annoying because I use it all day.

Otherwise pleased...

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

curmi
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by JimJimJimJim:
I posted this message to the Chimera mail list almost 2 years ago.

Just think, Chimera would have the cool thumbnails and other functionality of OW if they had listened to me years ago.
I posted this image to a discussion in MacNN almost 2 years ago.

http://homepage.mac.com/curmi/.Pictures/tabbed.jpg

The thread is http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...0&pagenumber=3

Omni implemented it - though they claim they were already implementing it when I suggested it. I also sent the mockup to Apple as a suggestion for Safari which they chose to ignore.

Personally, I love the graphical tab browsing. But I don't think I'm quite willing to pay for the privilege of using it...

neoTony
Aug 17, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
We're still doing full-color spiffy Aqua icons in the apps and in some parts of the website... that was just an aesthetic decision by the guy responsible for those pages' art.
Rick, thanks for the info mate - I was worried for a moment or two there (although I'm well aware of the fact that Omni's apps looked good pre-Matas). Aesthetics are so subjective

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
It's pretty fast but, the tab implementation sucks and I'm never going to pay for a browser.
Until somebody makes one worth buying? I think OW 5.0 has enough special features to justify a price tag. Of course not everybody in the World is going to buy a copy, or they would have to change their name to Microsoft Jr..

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Until somebody makes one worth buying? I think OW 5.0 has enough special features to justify a price tag. Of course not everybody in the World is going to buy a copy, or they would have to change their name to Microsoft Jr..
I got lost in your logic somewhere between making something worth paying for and then being compared to microsoft...

~BS

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 05:54 AM

I've been able to access all sorts of banking and investment sites:

Key bank
American Express
Chase
Discover
MBNA
Providian
AG Edwards &c.
To that I will add:

Bank of America
Smith Barney

BZ

ssamani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 06:04 AM

OK, I'm a paid up user of OW 4 and have just paid for the upgrade to OW 5. There's a lot of stuff going around about why people like it and why they don't. Here's my personal take on OW 5:

+ Ad blocking. More sophisticated than simple pop-up blocking, I can block in-line ads and add customised blocking, e.g., for flash content, from new ad sites, etc.

+ Zoom text editor. If I was on my Mac now, I'd be able to click a little button and this text field would zoom out and I'd have lots of space to type, in a re-sizable window

+ In line spell checking

+ Per-site preference. This means that I can block pop-ups as a general rule, but when I'm checking my work Outlook mail vie the browser, or go to my online banking, the javascript pop-up's work without me having to change my settings every time; just once for each site that I need pop-ups enabled on. This also lets me declare OmniWeb as my browser for most sites and I get delivered W3C compliant HTML, but those that only play nicely with IE get told that I am using IE and OW just handles it

+ Ad-blocking & per-site prefs. As normal I have OW set to block images from other sites. But sometimes websites have a seperate website for storing their images. If I recall Amazon does this so that there is a common image repository between their international sites. So I just switch off this feature just for Amazon.

+ Tabs. Unlike others I like the tab implementation. In other implementations the titles are far too cramped and small and squidge up... its like using the Task bar in windows, gross. Remember you can set the tabs to be just a title list without the little preview

+ Workspaces. I have certain website I visit daily. These are stored in workspace snapshots and are a doddle to re-open daily. Can also auto-save the workspace, so if I'm typing in this field and the computer dies, I don't loose all this text.

+ Shortcuts. I can type "google <search string>" in the address field and works as you'd expect, or "guk <search string>" to get just the UK google results, or "uk <website>" to get www.<website>.co.uk. And these are all user definable

+ Uses OS X standard toolbar, customisable the same way as in Mail, Finder, most Cocoa apps, etc. But for some reason Apple can't make use of its own consistent, newbie friendly, expert friendly, standard way of handling buttons. Safari and the iApps all do their own thing. OW as compared to Mozilla, Safari, IE, Opera, is OS X compliant. Nice. Camino and Firefox are such cludgy interfaces by comparison.

+ Things just look nicer in OW than all the other browsers other than Safari, cos they both use Aqua's beautiful text rendering.

+ Omni didn't whinge when Safari was released - they just got on with it and saw the advantage of WebCore. Opera's "we can't compete cos its unfair", whereas competing with free IE on Windows in Mac is OK, cos obviously its a lot easier to compete with MS than Apple, what a bunch of publicity seeking whiners. As for Camino / Firefox / Mozilla - slow, non-Mac standard, designed by committee, nonsense.

Cons

- Little bit slow compared to Safari. Should improve with re-sync of Webcore

- I desperately want the option of wrap round titles on tabs in the tabs drawer, so I can swithc completely to list view in the tab drawer.

- Workspace management window is a little basic and should really be folded into Bookmarks window

- My online banking doesn't work, yet, but gets further than Safari. Hopefully upgrade to new Webcore will fix this, please, please, so I can finally delete IE and Mozilla from my machine.

Basically where did we get the idea that browsers have to be free? Free browsers have stagnated, whereas Omni keep innovating the browser, with features such as per-site prefs, workspaces, zoom text field, in-line ad blocking, shortcuts, search integration, etc., etc., More than worth the money.

Sanj

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 06:21 AM

5.1 is sure going to rock.

Hughman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by Le Flaneur:
I've got to say that I don't understand how bookmarks work in OW5 at all. I imported my Safari bookmarks, and then dragged all the folders below the divider in the bookmark window. But they can't be edited there, nor does "add bookmark" give me the ability to deposit a bookmark into one of these folders.

Obviously, I'm supposing that OW works like Safari, which isn't the case , but I don't understand why Omni Development didn't implement bookmarks like safari while adding "shared bookmarks," "most visited," "unviewed content," etc.

In addition, one thing I love about Safari's bookmarks page is that you can switch between a displayed web page and the bookmarks page even when offline (assuming that the displayed web page doesn't need to be refreshed). I tried this with OW5, and it wanted to reload a very simple page, and so I lost its contents because I was offline!
Imported bookmarks are not editable in the imported bookmarks collection; these bookmarks are only editable in the original browser. By moving the bookmarks to either the "Personal Bookmarks" collection or the "Favorites" collection will copy the bookmarks. At this point they are editable in OmniWeb 5.

Hope this helps.

Hughman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by ssamani:
OK, I'm a paid up user of OW 4 and have just paid for the upgrade to OW 5. There's a lot of stuff going around about why people like it and why they don't. Here's my personal take on OW 5:

+ Ad blocking. More sophisticated than simple pop-up blocking, I can block in-line ads and add customised blocking, e.g., for flash content, from new ad sites, etc.

+ Zoom text editor. If I was on my Mac now, I'd be able to click a little button and this text field would zoom out and I'd have lots of space to type, in a re-sizable window

+ In line spell checking

+ Per-site preference. This means that I can block pop-ups as a general rule, but when I'm checking my work Outlook mail vie the browser, or go to my online banking, the javascript pop-up's work without me having to change my settings every time; just once for each site that I need pop-ups enabled on. This also lets me declare OmniWeb as my browser for most sites and I get delivered W3C compliant HTML, but those that only play nicely with IE get told that I am using IE and OW just handles it

+ Ad-blocking & per-site prefs. As normal I have OW set to block images from other sites. But sometimes websites have a seperate website for storing their images. If I recall Amazon does this so that there is a common image repository between their international sites. So I just switch off this feature just for Amazon.

+ Tabs. Unlike others I like the tab implementation. In other implementations the titles are far too cramped and small and squidge up... its like using the Task bar in windows, gross. Remember you can set the tabs to be just a title list without the little preview

+ Workspaces. I have certain website I visit daily. These are stored in workspace snapshots and are a doddle to re-open daily. Can also auto-save the workspace, so if I'm typing in this field and the computer dies, I don't loose all this text.

+ Shortcuts. I can type "google <search string>" in the address field and works as you'd expect, or "guk <search string>" to get just the UK google results, or "uk <website>" to get www.<website>.co.uk. And these are all user definable

+ Uses OS X standard toolbar, customisable the same way as in Mail, Finder, most Cocoa apps, etc. But for some reason Apple can't make use of its own consistent, newbie friendly, expert friendly, standard way of handling buttons. Safari and the iApps all do their own thing. OW as compared to Mozilla, Safari, IE, Opera, is OS X compliant. Nice. Camino and Firefox are such cludgy interfaces by comparison.

+ Things just look nicer in OW than all the other browsers other than Safari, cos they both use Aqua's beautiful text rendering.

+ Omni didn't whinge when Safari was released - they just got on with it and saw the advantage of WebCore. Opera's "we can't compete cos its unfair", whereas competing with free IE on Windows in Mac is OK, cos obviously its a lot easier to compete with MS than Apple, what a bunch of publicity seeking whiners. As for Camino / Firefox / Mozilla - slow, non-Mac standard, designed by committee, nonsense.

Cons

- Little bit slow compared to Safari. Should improve with re-sync of Webcore

- I desperately want the option of wrap round titles on tabs in the tabs drawer, so I can swithc completely to list view in the tab drawer.

- Workspace management window is a little basic and should really be folded into Bookmarks window

- My online banking doesn't work, yet, but gets further than Safari. Hopefully upgrade to new Webcore will fix this, please, please, so I can finally delete IE and Mozilla from my machine.

Basically where did we get the idea that browsers have to be free? Free browsers have stagnated, whereas Omni keep innovating the browser, with features such as per-site prefs, workspaces, zoom text field, in-line ad blocking, shortcuts, search integration, etc., etc., More than worth the money.

Sanj
For the above reasons, OmniWeb 5.0 is a compelling reason to buy a Macintosh, let alone the $29.95 to buy (or the $9.95 to upgrade).

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by BZ:
To that I will add:

Bank of America
Smith Barney

BZ
In the UK:

Lloyds TSB
Scottish Widows
Halifax
Egg

all work flawlessly

ssamani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
In the UK:

Lloyds TSB
Scottish Widows
Halifax
Egg

all work flawlessly
As do in the UK :
American Express credit cards
Intelligent Finance (if.com)

However RBS and Natwest do not, nor do they in Safari. I have to use Mozilla to handle them.

Sanj

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 08:39 AM

As do in the UK :
American Express credit cards
Intelligent Finance (if.com)

However RBS and Natwest do not, nor do they in Safari. I have to use Mozilla to handle them.

Sanj
Even if you identify as Mozilla or IE or Netscape?

I forgot to include T-Mobile also works as well

Mike S.
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 01:45 PM

I love OmniWeb 5 as well but I must clear up some misinformation here...

Camino's UI is Cocoa and it's button bar is customizable in the exact same way OmniWeb's is. I'm not big on FireFox for the Mac; great on Windows though.

Camino and Firefox completely obliterate OmniWeb 5 in render speed. Safari is also behind them though not by as wide a margin.

OmniWeb's feature set more than makes up for the render speed, IMO. Not that I'd complain about more speed mind you ;-)

jmperez64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 08:38 PM

One thing that I love about OW 5.0 is the way it plays macromedia animations at the correct speed. I use a site that has educational animations, and they have all run slow on Safari, Netscape, Firefox, etc. I've tried several browsers just to see if they would perform better at this site. None have. The closeset one has been Opera, but OW is the first to actually play these animation files and keep them in sync. The other browsers play the audio track ahead of the animation. Once the audio is finished, you sit there watching the animation continue for a few seconds. It's like watching a badly dubbed movie. I will probably buy OW, just for this reason. On thing I do remember though, the animations used to play fine in Jaguar. I noticed the problem immediately when I upgraded to Panther.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 09:01 PM

Reasons that why I dislike OW 5:

1. I can't see image sizes (pixels). I'm a webdesigner, and It's very useful to me see this info. Safari can show it when I "open image in new window". Ok, in OW I can see page info, but it's a pain to find the image by its name...

2. I use a content manager, Mambo Open Source. It has a preview after create a new entry. This preview works great in Safari, but OW does not show it.

By the way, I like the Tabs style!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 09:50 PM

[B Camino and Firefox completely obliterate OmniWeb 5 in render speed. Safari is also behind them though not by as wide a margin.
[/B]
Yeah but Lynx obliterates Camino and Firefox in render speed.

Mike S.
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Yeah but Lynx obliterates Camino and Firefox in render speed.
I guess that's supposed to be funny seeing as Lynx is text only.

Besides, if you want text only you should be using Links :-P

Doesn't change the facts though; while OmniWeb 5.0 final has shown an appreciable speed boost on my older Mac and a minor boost on an eMac it's still behind the curve.

Maybe their 5.1 release will have the WebCore display delay removed for a faster perceived speed. They'd beat Safari to the punch unless 1.3 has it disabled rather than holding for 2.0 and Tiger but I imagine Apple would hold it as an incentive for people to move on to 2.0/Tiger. I know about the defaults adjustment but most users will never know about it :-)

Regardless, I've gotten rather used to OmniWeb's speed and don't really notice it much anymore. I just enjoy the superior user experience :-)

mac15
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
You can set your start page in the preferences (OmniWeb -> Preferences), under "General". You'd probably want to choose "Empty".
Hope that helps!
Camino has a good way of doing this, you can choose to have your homepage or just a blank page

mediacoop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 01:54 AM

with firefox, camino, and safari i consistently get a processor usage of 35-60% once i've browsed for 30 minutes and have opened 6-10 tabs. omniweb is the first browser that does not do this. i'm finding 10-20% processor even with 10-20 tabs open... i value this quite a bit because it keeps my pb a little cooler and of course i'm getting longer battery life as well.

zengravy
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 11:17 AM

I am intrigued by the Bookmark syncing feature, but can't seem to select .Mac as an option. i don't have a WebDAV server...
--
you cannot enter a place that you never left.

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by zengravy:
I am intrigued by the Bookmark syncing feature, but can't seem to select .Mac as an option. i don't have a WebDAV server...
are your .Mac preferences set correctly in your System Preferences? (i.e. do you have any trouble accessing your iDisk?)
cpac

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 01:20 PM

I just can't get with OW 5. Perhaps I've missed something but:

- For some reason it insists on doing update checks on ALL 134 of my bookmarks even though I have the pref to check bookmarks turned off.
- I don't know if the check thing is causing it, but returning to my Mac after it's been idle a while, my swap space is HOSED because of OW, and it takes like 3 minutes of page swapping to get functionality back.
- And oh yeah, it crashes a lot
- The cache sucks. Going forward/back at sites insists on hard reloads every time, I can't get it to quickly jump to pages in history.

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
I just can't get with OW 5. Perhaps I've missed something but:

- For some reason it insists on doing update checks on ALL 134 of my bookmarks even though I have the pref to check bookmarks turned off.
- I don't know if the check thing is causing it, but returning to my Mac after it's been idle a while, my swap space is HOSED because of OW, and it takes like 3 minutes of page swapping to get functionality back.
- And oh yeah, it crashes a lot
- The cache sucks. Going forward/back at sites insists on hard reloads every time, I can't get it to quickly jump to pages in history.
the crashes and fact that it's ignoring your preferences suggest that you may have corruption in some of your support files/preferences.

Have you tried moving/deleting those files? (~/Library/Application Support/Omniweb 5/ and the OW5 .plist from ~/Library/Preferences)

I can understand not wanting to use a browser that has such problems, but I, for one, have zero crashes, my preferences are respected, &c. - so it's worth taking a minute to see if it can work better for you...
cpac

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 03:41 PM

the crashes and fact that it's ignoring your preferences suggest that you may have corruption in some of your support files/preferences.

Have you tried moving/deleting those files? (~/Library/Application Support/Omniweb 5/ and the OW5 .plist from ~/Library/Preferences)

I can understand not wanting to use a browser that has such problems, but I, for one, have zero crashes, my preferences are respected, &c. - so it's worth taking a minute to see if it can work better for you...
I've trashed all that and starting from scratch..we'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 19, 2004, 03:51 PM

I'd like to be able to set 'check for changes' to minutes instead of just one hour. I need this for checking the various rss feeds and an hour is simply too long.

Otherwise a wonderful browser which I gladly paid for!

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 09:38 PM

All seems better now, thanks.

Why is the search field pixelated? I chalked it up in the betas to, well, being beta, but this is the final release. It looks ugly

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2004, 11:08 PM

I need this for checking the various rss feeds and an hour is simply too long.
What news is so important that it can't wait an hour? Personally, I'd like to see "check every 4 hours" but that's me.

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 12:43 AM

for work I check various news and financial sites and therefor need too know about changes as quickly as possible. Thta's why I'd like to set the check-for-news interval to 5 ot 10 minutes.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 02:25 AM

I don't know if someone has asked this before, but is there any way to get the sidebar to slide back in automatically when only one tab is open?

ssamani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 03:45 AM

Maybe their 5.1 release will have the WebCore display delay removed for a faster perceived speed. They'd beat Safari to the punch unless 1.3 has it disabled rather than holding for 2.0 and Tiger but I imagine Apple would hold it as an incentive for people to move on to 2.0/Tiger. I know about the defaults adjustment but most users will never know about it :-)
OW 5.0 is still using the Safari 1.0 equivalent version of WebCore. So 5.1 can still make some improvements to bring it up to par with Safari 1.3.

Omni make certain changes to WebCore to support some of their extra feature set, fix certain things (presumably that get submitted back to WebCore / KHTML through open source), etc., that make it non-trivial for them to move up WebCore versions.

So once Tiger comes out there may be a lag before OW moves to the Safari 2.0 equivalent version.

Sanj

ssamani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 04:04 AM

I love OmniWeb 5 as well but I must clear up some misinformation here...

Camino's UI is Cocoa and it's button bar is customizable in the exact same way OmniWeb's is. I'm not big on FireFox for the Mac; great on Windows though.

Camino and Firefox completely obliterate OmniWeb 5 in render speed. Safari is also behind them though not by as wide a margin.

OmniWeb's feature set more than makes up for the render speed, IMO. Not that I'd complain about more speed mind you ;-)
Fair points, and completely agree. I know find it hard to work in browsers without tabs, or where I can't just type "apple" to get to www.apple.com, without going to a search site.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
Reasons that why I dislike OW 5:

1. I can't see image sizes (pixels). I'm a webdesigner, and It's very useful to me see this info. Safari can show it when I "open image in new window". Ok, in OW I can see page info, but it's a pain to find the image by its name...
That is a very valid feature request. OmniDudes?

BZ

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2004, 03:02 PM

for work I check various news and financial sites and therefor need too know about changes as quickly as possible. Thta's why I'd like to set the check-for-news interval to 5 ot 10 minutes.
This seems like abuse of RSS. Certainly, some sites (like slashdot) would block your IP for checking RSS that frequently. Big news sites probably don't mind it, but for the little guy who pays for bandwidth on his blog, this kind of setting could cost real money, and I think the Omnigroup is wise to not allow that frequency of checking. Even if only a few people used the hyperactive setting, a web developer might just block out all Omniweb users rather than deal with the problem few people because it is easier. Daring Fireball [url=http://daringfireball.net/2004/01/intervals]had a blurb on this problem[\url] a while back. I think a good solution would be for feed providers to be able to specify a maximum frequency and for upstanding software providers to respect that.

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 03:58 PM

I fully agree - but it's the big news sites I'm talking about though!

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2004, 04:07 PM

Why not just set up Google News Alerts for your topics. You will get it as it happens and coverage will be better.

http://www.google.com/newsalerts?q=&hl=en

BZ

Originally posted by Macanoid:
I fully agree - but it's the big news sites I'm talking about though!

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 04:13 PM

thanks a lot, will check it out - wasn't familiar with that option!

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 21, 2004, 04:12 PM

I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with the final version of OW 5. I liked the potential that the betas had, but could never use them long term due to the bugs, crashes, and decreased speed.

But the final really has things ironed out. I haven't had a crash yet, the bugs seems squashed for the most part, and the speed is almost on par with Safari. Not quite, but almost. And once they move to the newest WebCore, it'll really rock.

OW has just become my new default browser.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 01:49 PM

Any prayer for better flash performance? I love the browser, but its by far the worst mac browser in the flash framerate department. Also on sites like macromedia.com that have flash and html that involves scrolling the window there are all kinds of display errors in the browser buttonbar/ui.

nebben123
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2004, 01:36 PM

I think I found a big bug in OW5.

When I go to this site at my university and try to change the page colors in the site prefs, nothing happens most of the time. [eg: CMD-I, then Page Appearance tab, then select a preset from the drop-down menu or choose Custom...] Actually, I think I got it to work ONCE.

The font and text-size options work great and in real-time, but selecting anything that changes the page colors fails miserably. I even tried to use these javascript "zap" bookmarklets, particularly the "zap colors"... While it works on the zap page, it does nothing on the aforementioned university site.

BTW, those bookmarklets work great every time in Safari and Firefox.

What gives, Omniweb?

Can somebody else check this out? Maybe I am doing something wrong, or maybe my OW files are corrupted somehow (which seems to be a frequent occurrence / fix around here).

Thanks,
Ben

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 01:55 PM

Same thing on Here. OS 10.2.4

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 07:12 PM

Ok.. I just found the ONE thing that is possibly the coolest addition to the browsing world since I have been using browsers....

No it is not tabs...

It is the Mozilla/Firefox Extension Web Developer

http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/webdeveloper/

So freaking cool...

Please OmniDudes... develop something like this... add something like that... let people build something like this...

Make it OmniWeb Pro and charge me an extra $15 for it....

BZ

nebben123
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 02:45 PM

BZ -- Why don't you just use Firefox? That seems like quite a specialised set of tools to expect OG to ever implement into OW.

As for the bug I found, I heard back from OG, and they say it'll be fixed in 5.1.

How long do we have to wait for 5.1? I really like OW, but I'm so close to just switching to Firefox and being done with it. All of the "advantages" that OW has, at least the ones I use, can be emulated on Firefox using extensions or bookmarklets. I just like the idea of using OW because it's a native browser and (I guess) has better support.

Forum Links
Forum Rules