Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > incompatible webhost??? HELP!

incompatible webhost??? HELP!
lalaloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 01:21 PM

I just completed designing my website.
i did it on my mac with the Office for Mac - on Word.
then i tried to upload it to my Yahoo Webhosting account but i get an "invalid file" reply.

No replies from yahoo and their Help section doesnt help at all in clarifying whether they are compatible or not with mac.

when i try to do it from a PC, the pages are all suffering from major layout inconsistencies!

I dont want to have to go thru all the layout-ing again on windows. is there any program i can use to get my files uploaded onto yahoo??

if they arent compatible with mac, they should clearly state this shouldn't they??

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 01:38 PM

Just tried to make a site and it seems to work.

It may say invalid file because you tried to upload a filetype that is not supported - any extensions other than .html .gif .jpg .css .png?

benandkelley
Oct 6, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by lalaloo:
...on Word..
As a side note...
I would recommend not using Word. Word puts in lots of weird code. You might want to try Netscape's Composer. It's free, relatively easy to use, and it puts out good code.

larkost
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 11:47 PM

Microsoft Word is a really bad choice for making html documents. There are so many better choices. As benandkelley said, Netscape Composer is an option, but I think a better choice would be NVU. They now have official MacOS X builds, so you can run without compiling everything. It is still a pre-1.0 release, but it will definitely get you much better results than Microsoft Word.

lalaloo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 07:54 AM

but now lets assume i'm a complete ignorant and already completed the ENTIRE work on Mac Word. It looks FABULOUS...on word.
The layout is ALL off though in IE, netscape and safari...

Is there ANYTHING i can do to salvage the work? (Please dont mention anything that requires code...)

a converter maybe??

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2004, 08:32 AM

Is there ANYTHING i can do to salvage the work? (Please dont mention anything that requires code...)
Yep. You can start again. You've done it once, so this time do it better!

I know it's a pain, but it's a lot better to cut your losses and start from scratch than it is trying to turn code soup into something that agrees with your browsers.

There are plenty of visual editors on the market - some cheap, some midway, some that will make your bank manager laugh hysterically, but you will definitely find one that suits. A quick search of these boards will turn up at least a dozen.

Start again, sketch out what you want to achieve and get it looking right on one browser. Then test on another browser, fix, test in both, fix, test some more and finally you'll get there.

Quick fixes generally turn out to be a waste of time.

Cheers.
Computer thez nohhh...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 08:54 AM

It looks FABULOUS...on word.
The layout is ALL off though in IE, netscape and safari...
this sentence is enough to make you want to stop using word. if it looks good on word, but not in any web browsers, then i think you should move onto one of the mentioned programs.

you can get a demo of dreamweaver from www.macromedia.com . that is a good wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) editor.

benandkelley
Oct 7, 2004, 09:53 AM

I test my sites with Netscape 4.7 on a PC. That version of the software is EXTREMELY PICKY, so if it works there then it should work elsewhere. So, once it works well in NS4.7, I then move on to test it in IE, Safari, etc. Also, test in various browsers, browser versions, and different OS's. It's a pain, but the tricky thing about web development is that a web page is presented different in each machine...as a web developer you've gotta find that happen medium.

If it's a small site for your relatives to visit then don't worry about too much testing. If it's for a new company to have an online presence, then you'd want to do extensive testing and make sure it works for as many users as possible.

In an extreme case of testing...
At my office we have Netscape and IE set up on several machines running NS4.0, NS4.7, NS6, IE4, IE5, Safari, and on and on and on, and Windows 98, 2000, NT, XP, Mac 7.5, 8, 9, 10.x, etc. All of these are used for testing purposes. The machines themselves are very cheap, old machines, but they have the OS and browsers on them to do some testing.

Oh, and JavaScript complicates things even more :-(

skalie
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 10:26 AM

... as does css.

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 06:16 PM

I just completed designing my website.
i did it on my mac with the Office for Mac - on Word.
then i tried to upload it to my Yahoo Webhosting account but i get an "invalid file" reply.

No replies from yahoo and their Help section doesnt help at all in clarifying whether they are compatible or not with mac.

when i try to do it from a PC, the pages are all suffering from major layout inconsistencies!

I dont want to have to go thru all the layout-ing again on windows. is there any program i can use to get my files uploaded onto yahoo??

if they arent compatible with mac, they should clearly state this shouldn't they??
Two problems:

You used word to design your site.

Your using Yahoo to host your site.

lalaloo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 07:38 AM

cheers to all of you.
i have indeed restarted. i spent the night trying to work out dreamweaver and by 2am i was ready to start my first page...though still in the dark somewhat.

i'm sure i'll be back here soon enough with more amateur questions, but then again, i know i'll get straight answers from you lot. not all forums can boast that.

cheers again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules