Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Definition of spam, WRT MacNN holding a contest.

Definition of spam, WRT MacNN holding a contest. (Page 2)
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 4, 2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
Can I make a suggestion regarding those folks who are hot and bothered by the contest being spam. Dis-allow their sigs to have references to AT.

It really makes little sense to allow people to advertise a competing forum, regardless if its smaller. I mean if the other forum is so great why do they continue to post here, other then post disruptive threads and question the management of this forum. Seems trollish to me
Well that would make us "hypocritical" "nazis". As I said, I think we're remarkably tolerant of the AppleTalker folks badmouthing us on our own turf.

tooki

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Well that would make us "hypocritical" "nazis". As I said, I think we're remarkably tolerant of the AppleTalker folks badmouthing us on our own turf.

tooki
Except that's what they're calling you now, so what's the diff.
Michael

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 4, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Shilling one's site (which probably makes one some profit through more hits that advertisers pay for) is spam. This contest is NOT about advertising. I simply don't see how this can be confusing to anyone.
When people have a chip on their shoulders, it makes their brain a bit fuzzy.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 4, 2006, 12:43 PM

Except that's what they're calling you now, so what's the diff.
Touché!

I just don't want to let them bamboozle me into proving them right!

tooki

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2006, 03:25 PM

wow, im gone for a month and this place has a contest and some people think its spam and start bitching because macnn is a better forum than theres and can get people to give a prize for a contest. i was at AT for a bit but found it way to childish compaired to here, and way less informative, (understatement of the year). anyways, this is a contest that no one is gainign any money, wanna know why? because the bag company gave macnn the bag to prize off. no one is selling anything, this is a contest not spam. to the people who think this is spam, get over yourselves, and perhaps grow up a lot more before you start trying to make any problems

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Shilling one's site (which probably makes one some profit through more hits that advertisers pay for) is spam. This contest is NOT about advertising. I simply don't see how this can be confusing to anyone.
AT in fact is sponsored by donations of members so far. And i also want to say, please don´t generalize. I initially thought, it was a bad move when i saw Simons thread in the lounge and i mentioned it in response to spheric. As for the visible text links in the sig: if you (the thread participants) find those spam-related i´m willing to remove mine in exchange with a clickable sig pic, which i assume to be OK since many members use that kind of link to forward the reader to their business sites.

And Glen, i simply don´t get it, why you´re not realizing that the contest promotes Brendhaven. OK, maybe i´m overreacting a little bit, but i´m not the only one who thinks MacNN has changed over the past few years...

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2006, 05:59 PM

When did any mod object to people linking to things in their sigs?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 07:19 PM

Tookie, just because you don't share someone's opinion doesn't mean you're in the right to ridicule someone. Also, while you might pat yourself on the back about your "remarkably tolerant" attitude, I don't really see that at all here.

Glenn, AppleTalker is not supported via ads, but through member donations, so there's no profit gained from hits. That said, I don't see why the boards have to be at odds with each other.

Michael, try being a member for more than a month or two and actually understanding the situation on both sides before you start criticizing others and suggesting ill-considered board policies.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2006, 07:53 PM

I'm in awe MacNN allows you to have:
The friendly and frequently-backed up MacNN forums alternative where threads don't just disappear: AppleTalker
in your sig.
:/
we don't have time to stop for gas

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 4, 2006, 08:16 PM

Yeah, just from their actions in this forum I wouldn't go.

Sad when a forum can't get members by their positives, they have to attack others to make themselves look good.

I'd love to see appletalker forums handle a load like NN.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
I'm in awe MacNN allows you to have:

The friendly and frequently-backed up MacNN forums alternative where threads don't just disappear: AppleTalker
in your sig.
:/
Then you must also be in awe of a site where you can actually discuss things freely, without being censored or torn down, just because others don't agree with you. You must be completely in awe of democratic principles and general freedom of speech.

I could see why some members/mods/etc. here wouldn't like my current sig, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed. If you disallow my sig, then you'll have to start disallowing quite a few other sigs, in order to be consistent and fair.

Also, there's nothing even disrespectful or offensive in my sig. It's a far cry from "MacNN sucks!!!", because I don't really think so in the first place. Like I said, there's no reason that both boards can't co-exisit.

Kevin, you've got it wrong. No one from AppleTalker has attacked others on this forum to make it "look good". Someone merely brought up the issue of SPAM which related to AppleTalker, but really AppleTalker has nothing to do with this issue, and I really wish that it would stay out of it.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 4, 2006, 10:46 PM

Your sig is an attack to get people to come to your forums.

Yes, yes indeed it is.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Your sig is an attack to get people to come to your forums.

Yes, yes indeed it is.
Apparently, my sig has to be devoid of any humor or wit not to be an attack, huh?

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 5, 2006, 06:48 AM

What is humorous about it Gabriel?

Maybe you need to work on your social skills.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Apparently, my sig has to be devoid of any humor or wit not to be an attack, huh?
No but why do you have a link to AT, your sig seems to indicate that AT is superior. I'll ask the incredably obvious question, why are you even posting here and not over your friendly and frequently-backed forum where threads don't just disappear. I mean if its so great and this place is so poorly managed it seems to be a no brainer that you go there and not post here
Michael

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 5, 2006, 07:05 AM

Well if anything, it's giving him the opposite results he is going for.

Good job.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 10:37 AM

Tookie, just because you don't share someone's opinion doesn't mean you're in the right to ridicule someone. Also, while you might pat yourself on the back about your "remarkably tolerant" attitude, I don't really see that at all here.
After all the public (and insane, irrational, unfounded) badmouthing, and attempts to drag my name through the mud that you AT folks have done with me, I don't give a rat's patoot what you jack***es want of me. I damned well am not gonna take etiquette lectures from you. You know damned well that NOTHING I do at this point has any influence over what you think of me, since you are convinced that anything I say is a two-faced lie. Conspiracy theorists like you guys see conspiracies where none exist.

So I leave it with this: we could apply the letter of the rules and immediately remove all references to AppleTalker from all your sigs. We're being generous and allowing a competitor to badmouth us and advertise for itself on our forum. I think that's pretty nice of us.

tooki

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2006, 11:19 AM

*sneaks in slowly* ...someone could always put AppleTalker into the swear filter....... *sneaks back out*

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 01:59 PM

I won't stoop to that level.

tooki

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 02:01 PM

What is humorous about it Gabriel?
Just what is insulting or offensive about it?

Maybe you need to work on your social skills.
Maybe you need to do a little work on your social skills as well, Kevin.

No but why do you have a link to AT, your sig seems to indicate that AT is superior. I'll ask the incredably obvious question, why are you even posting here and not over your friendly and frequently-backed forum where threads don't just disappear. I mean if its so great and this place is so poorly managed it seems to be a no brainer that you go there and not post here
First off, why does my sig even indicate that AppleTalker is superior? Secondly, what's wrong about boasting a bit about your own site, etc? And let me correct your erroneous impression: MacNN and AppleTalker are different. Nevertheless, I still like posting at both. Is that clear enough for you?

After all the public (and insane, irrational, unfounded) badmouthing, and attempts to drag my name through the mud that you AT folks have done with me, I don't give a rat's patoot what you jack***es want of me. I damned well am not gonna take etiquette lectures from you. You know damned well that NOTHING I do at this point has any influence over what you think of me, since you are convinced that anything I say is a two-faced lie. Conspiracy theorists like you guys see conspiracies where none exist.

So I leave it with this: we could apply the letter of the rules and immediately remove all references to AppleTalker from all your sigs. We're being generous and allowing a competitor to badmouth us and advertise for itself on our forum. I think that's pretty nice of us.
Tookie, you just continue to generalize, and you continue to perpetuate this "AppleTalker gang" idea, which I asked you to please not do, because it's inaccurate and detrimental to everyone. When have I "badmouthed" your name? I am not some kind of generic "AppleTalker group consciousness" you've seem to have made up.

I am NOT a conspiracy-theorist, and what you do at this point or any other does influence what I think of you. But you don't seem interested at all in having a rational discussion, tookie. After my first post in this thread, you opted to completely ignore it and instead take a stab or two at mocking Simon. That's really constructive and helpful.

But you can comfort yourself by thinking you are generous.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 02:14 PM

I didn't respond to your post because a) it didn't have anything I felt any need to respond to and b) I'm under no obligation to respond to every post.

After the public mud-flinging Simon does at me at every opportunity, I don't feel any shame in refuting ridiculous complaints he makes. The same really goes for anyone.

There certainly is a core group of AppleTalker members who publicly announces its alleged superiority at every occasion. You certainly are part of that, what with you maintaining a thinly-veiled attack on MacNN, with a link to AppleTalker, in your sig at all times.

As someone else said: if AppleTalker is so great, and MacNN so awful, why are you all still here?

tooki

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 02:34 PM

I didn't respond to your post because a) it didn't have anything I felt any need to respond to and b) I'm under no obligation to respond to every post.

After the public mud-flinging Simon does at me at every opportunity, I don't feel any shame in refuting ridiculous complaints he makes. The same really goes for anyone.

There certainly is a core group of AppleTalker members who publicly announces its alleged superiority at every occasion. You certainly are part of that, what with you maintaining a thinly-veiled attack on MacNN, with a link to AppleTalker, in your sig at all times.

As someone else said: if AppleTalker is so great, and MacNN so awful, why are you all still here?

tooki
Refuting complaints is one thing, mocking is another.

tooki, think what you will. There is no rationalizing or problem-solving with you, simply because you'd rather maintain this atmosphere of conflict for some reason or another. Apparently, it serves some purpose to you.

Quite frankly, the occasional trouble I have with MacNN is irrational and arbitrary decisions and replies by mods, as in this thread. Why am I still here? Because there's more to a board than its administration, and I have no problem and in fact, enjoy discussion with the majority of the members on this board.

It's funny how "openly-critical" you yourself have been of MacNN and certain decisions upon which you've had no control, but if someone else (other than a mod or admin) is critical of MacNN it's virtual treason.

Oh, and I've changed my sig since you PMed me about the length. Hopefully this one will seem less belligerent to you.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 03:00 PM

The PM I sent you about your signature said nothing about content, only that it did not comply with the rules. It's still not in compliance.

I'm sure that others who I have PMed about sig compliance can confirm that this follows the standard boilerplate I use. It's a boilerplate sentence plus a description of the specific violation.

tooki

Fair and consistent: here's my boilerplate message to you about your sig:

Hi!

Please carefully review our rules (linked from every thread listing) and adjust your signature to comply. You are currently exceeding the number of lines of text allowed with an image. Please remember that blank lines count, and that a "line" must fit completely with the browser window set to 900 pixels.

Thanks!
tooki

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 03:10 PM

First off, why does my sig even indicate that AppleTalker is superior? Secondly, what's wrong about boasting a bit about your own site, etc? And let me correct your erroneous impression: MacNN and AppleTalker are different. Nevertheless, I still like posting at both. Is that clear enough for you?

Well its clear enough that its hypocritical. Having your own site is one thing having a forum a competes directly with 'NN and advertises itself to be superior then 'NN is another.

Your playing with semantics in that you say, you claim not to state that AT is superior. While that word is not in your sig, the wording that you do have, implies that AT is superior because it doesn't lose threads, backs up the system etc etc.

Why complain about 'NN and instead eat your own dog-food, i.e., stick with AT. That will make us happier who enjoy NN and it will make you less hypocritical - is that clear enough for you?
Michael

Yawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 03:45 PM

It's fscking hilarious that a couple of noobs that registered a few days ago (mac128k you seem to be the most moronic noob to this board in quite a while, LOL@u) are offering tooki a sloppy bl0wjob as if they were long-timers when it's obvious that he just isn't capable of running this place like a professional and pefers to spend his time with a silly feudal dispute. AT is tiny compared to this palce. You noobs panicking about it are ridculous. The place is no threat to MacNN and from what I read, they never intended it to be either.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 04:02 PM

I'm sure that others who I have PMed about sig compliance can confirm that this follows the standard boilerplate I use. It's a boilerplate sentence plus a description of the specific violation.
Fine, I've changed it, however it's interesting that you didn't have a problem with that before, particularly since you PMed me about my sig a long time ago and had no problem with it after I made some changes, until now.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 5, 2006, 04:25 PM

Just what is insulting or offensive about it?
YOU ARE KIDDING RIGHT?

You are basically saying "Come to these forums, we don't suck like this one"

Not only is it dishonest, it's insulting.

Again if you can't see that, I dont know what to tell you.

And the new sig is even more pretentious and full of asshatery

Rational discussion? You call you claiming said contest was spam rational discussion?

You got to be kidding me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2006, 04:33 PM

Fine, I've changed it, however it's interesting that you didn't have a problem with that before, particularly since you PMed me about my sig a long time ago and had no problem with it after I made some changes, until now.
It might be because people were drawing attention to it in this thread.
Chuck
___

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 04:37 PM

When I see a signature that violates the rules, I send a PM. If I didn't notice before, it's because I didn't notice, perhaps because I was dealing with another aspect of a thread, or because I didn't look at a thread you posted in.

The fact is, your signature violated the rules, I sent you a PM, and now it's in compliance. Time to stop complaining.

tooki

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 04:41 PM

And the new sig is even more pretentious and full of asshatery

Rational discussion? You call you claiming said contest was spam rational discussion?
Really? How is saying that "rational discussion is the norm" "pretentious and full of asshatery"? How is it even a comparison to MacNN? It is in your mind, but that doesn't mean that's what it's saying.

What "sucks" about MacNN are mods and members who feel its within their right to mock, ridicule and insult others. You've set a fine example.

Oh, and I never claimed that the contest was SPAM. Nope, that wasn't me. Still doesn't give you the right to insult those who do believe so. Just goes to show how accurate your facts are, and how you're also grouping people together.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2006, 04:43 PM

So people have the right to insult tooki and vmarks, but others don't have the right to insult those people? Seems a little one-sided.
Chuck
___

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 05:13 PM

The fact is, your signature violated the rules, I sent you a PM, and now it's in compliance. Time to stop complaining.
I wasn't complaining, I was pointing something else. However, it may be a good time for you to work on your manners.-- A very friendly suggestion, all-mighty tooki.

Originally Posted by Chuckit
So people have the right to insult tooki and vmarks, but others don't have the right to insult those people? Seems a little one-sided.
No, no one should be insulting anyone. However, as some posters, including tooki, have clearly demonstrated, this thread does not foster an atmosphere of respect.

Well, this thread has degenerated into its usual state of entropy, and is no longer worth participating in, so I bid you farewell from this discourteous thread.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 05:22 PM

Those who started this thread, without respect, set the tone for it.

tooki

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2006, 07:12 AM

Really? How is saying that "rational discussion is the norm" "pretentious and full of asshatery"? How is it even a comparison to MacNN? It is in your mind, but that doesn't mean that's what it's saying.
Because if your little hiss and honk in this thread in ANY indication how it is over there, there is NO rational discussion there.

Your ranting and ravings in this thread is not rational.

Dig?

And you are indirectly comparing it to NN. We aren't fools.
What "sucks" about MacNN are mods and members who feel its within their right to mock, ridicule and insult others. You've set a fine example.
Hey buddy, you've been doing it THIS WHOLE THREAD
Still doesn't give you the right to insult those who do believe so.
Why not? They are insulting my intelligence. What gives them the right to do that? Or insult this forum? (And yes they are admit it or not)

Seriously get a grip.

Again from the way the people in AppleTalker forums acted in THIS thread, I'd not EVER want to visit there.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 6, 2006, 11:34 AM

Just a note to MacNN forums fans: please don't anyone else go to AppleTalker and start trolling. That's not helpful in any way, and doesn't reflect the MacNN Forums we want to be.

tooki

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 11:38 AM

*sulks into the corner like a bad little boy* sorry tooki

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2006, 11:51 AM

Just a note to MacNN forums fans: please don't anyone else go to AppleTalker and start trolling. That's not helpful in any way, and doesn't reflect the MacNN Forums we want to be.

tooki
It seems like that is what they want. I guess they think negative attention is better than none.

It wasn't that long ago they were private msging people asking them to join said forum.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 12:24 PM

It wasn't that long ago they were private msging people asking them to join said forum.
Which I consider spam. They don't. Go figure.

Oh, and this contest is NOT spam.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Which I consider spam. They don't. Go figure.
Yeah getting unwanted msgs to go to another site, not spam.

Giving away something free in a contest for SAID FORUM is however.

Someone's S is backward.

Forum Links
Forum Rules