Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How can I bypass VISE installers?

How can I bypass VISE installers?
loren s
Senior User
Dec 16, 2007, 03:32 PM

I need the plugins in a VISE installer file but they dont work in Leopard, so I was wondering if there is a better way to rip open VISE files to get the contents or something

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by loren s View Post
I need the plugins in a VISE installer file but they dont work in Leopard, so I was wondering if there is a better way to rip open VISE files to get the contents or something
Er, do you mean the plugins don't work in Leopard, or the installers won't work in Leopard?

VISE uses some type of proprietary compression scheme that AFAIK nobody has been able to decipher yet.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2007, 06:08 PM

I have the same problem - Daz3D delivers a lot of their 3D models in old "Classic" VISE installers, and the content itself would work fine with applications under Leopard, but opening these files is now seemingly impossible without having access to Classic.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2007, 06:11 PM

Not that I know of, but how many do you need to do? Can't you find someone with Classic and extract them, or are you generating more of these on an ongoing basis?

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Dec 17, 2007, 08:37 PM

Well mine are not classic but osx. But they wont install anfything
they just finish but never install the plugins.

I read Lots of companies are at the mercy of them as well not just mine.
Arggg

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2007, 08:40 PM

I prefer to call it Installer VILE. I think it's more accurate.

Sorry, wish I could help. You might try writing to the company that produced the terrible installer and ask them to provide the files in a usable format.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Aang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 11:30 PM

I mounted the disk image of the HP ScanJet 3500c installation software. I ctrl-clicked on the installer file and chose the Show Package Contents menu item. I then opened the Contents folder and then the Mac OS folder and then the Sub Installers folder. I double clicked on the HP Scanjet 3500 file, which is some type of VISE file, too, but it opened and installed its contents without a hitch.

I'm with my laptop, away from where my scanner is located, so I can't test how much I got installed. I'm hoping I can run each sub-installer separately and avoid whatever incompatibility is making the main VISE installer hang.

I don't know if that will help, but I hope.

Dan

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 02:17 AM

VISE is awful. I can't understand why developer use them at all. They're like .sit files.

Completely unnecessary.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 04:21 AM

Agreed, Charles may be able to give us a definitive answer.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jan 12, 2008, 05:46 PM

You could install os 9 under sheepshaver.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Agreed, Charles may be able to give us a definitive answer.
VISE is a proprietary format, so the only way to make a third-party extractor for it would be to reverse-engineer it. Which could probably be done, but it would involve a lot of time and headaches, and then you have a few more problems such as: Is there more than one version of the format? If so, you have to reverse-engineer each one. Is the format patented? If so, you can't distribute your extractor anyway...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules