Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for a TV News creation app

Looking for a TV News creation app
loren s
Senior User
Feb 7, 2009, 07:28 PM

Aside from Motion or After Effects
Do you know of an app for creating video news like a news station.
In that the layovers are placed in realtime. And such.

Something consumer based.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2009, 07:44 PM

Are you using "layovers" to refer to a Chroma Key-like process? This is the process where you have a specific colored background, typically green nowadays, and you use some sort of processing to replace that color with another video source. There are a lot of apps that will do that. For example, Stupendous Software has what looks like a great post processing green-screen tool. Maybe a search for "mac green screen" will get you what you need.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2009, 08:02 PM

No. I was more referring to putting overlay animations on the screen in realtime in another view to be cued up on send, so the main screen "reporter" does not have a mouse and menus on the screen for the viewer.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2009, 11:40 PM

Oh, more like what I'd think of as a weather guy thing than a "news" app. Sorry, no idea on that one.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2009, 03:02 AM

I think he's talking about graphical overlays using the luminance key. You create the effects ahead of time in something like After Effects and then use the Switcher to composite them real time. There really isn't a dedicated app for it - what you're probably looking for is a professional-level Live Production Switcher, but if you want to add them in post Premiere can handle that.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 8, 2009 at 03:10 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Feb 8, 2009, 07:51 PM

yeah I was trying to avoid post. Seems like a simple app. Funny that a simple one is not to be found.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2009, 07:58 PM

Well, I've heard that the Video Toaster is still used for live overlays. You would either need that kind of setup, a Switcher or some post-production work. It's really easy to do luminance key effects with a good switcher. But other than Video Toaster, there's nothing else other than a Switcher that really would be capable of effects over live video.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Feb 9, 2009, 12:28 PM

Op. Video Toaster is the app. Albeit a bit to much. That is the app I was looking for, to bad it's to pro in my case.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could set something up is Flash.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 9, 2009, 09:15 PM

Considering that all the effects shots for ALL of Babylon 5 were produced with Video Toaster (actually the VT software running on VT's modified Amiga hardware), I can see it being "a bit to much." But the software should do everything you want and way more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules