Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2 questions - Intel iMac & MMO Games

2 questions - Intel iMac & MMO Games
lawson
Baninated
Apr 10, 2006, 12:39 AM

I have been out of the Mac OS world for a year or so now. I am looking at buying one of the new iMac Intel Duos and was wondering for those of you that have one, how do you like the video card? I currently run a Pentium 4 with a ATI x700 pro and was wondering how it would compare.

In my other question, other than World of Warcraft (just quit my WoW addicition) is there any other MMOs than run under OS X?

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 02:20 AM

X1600 is a bit of an upgrade from X700 Pro, but given the lower performance of OSX compared to Windows in WoW, it may come out a wash for you.

Puzzle Pirates is another MMO for Macs. I find it to be a lot of fun.

lawson  (op)
Baninated
Apr 15, 2006, 05:37 AM

Thanks Mduell.

I am bumping to see if anyone else knows of any other MMos (other than WoW) for the Mac.

Thanks

Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2006, 12:59 PM

I don't think there are any, however you could install Windows on the iMac to get your gaming fix.

xine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 01:24 AM

http://www.applegeeks.com/sm/index.p...9cf692d7434a51

That url has a good list of MMOs on mac

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 19, 2006, 09:53 AM

Just Bootcamp it for the other MMOs. I am in the middle of the long hard road of addiction to World of Warcraft. It plays wonderfully through the Mac OS. I hear it gets much better FPS through Bootcamp under Windows XP because of the Open GL support. I'd imagine that the iMac would be comparable to most moderate to upper level consumer machines in the gaming department through Windows XP.

Do a search on WoW hear in the forums. You get a bunch of numbers, but I can tell you that I typically get 20 - 30 FPS in crowded areas and anywhere from 60 on up FPS in normal areas. And that is without the Open GL support. I have the 256 MB x1600. Just as a benchmark for other games.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

lawson  (op)
Baninated
Apr 20, 2006, 07:41 PM

Got my Intel iMac in yesterday and going to install Boot Camp this weekend. I am over my World of Warcraft addiction and playing RF Online and Silkroad now. I guess I will have to stick to playing them under Boot Camp. Just thought it would be neat to play a few on X Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules