Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 Ibook - running with lid closed & external monitor?

G4 Ibook - running with lid closed & external monitor?
Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2005, 01:46 AM

Hi,

I have searched thoroughly and realise this question has been discussed in depth about the older models.

But with the brand new G4 ibook, the 12" model for example, can you plug it into an external LCD monitor (via the vga adaptor) and run it with the lid closed, using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (assuming you have the bluetooth module installed)?

I cant seem to find hard evidence either way in the mac forums both here and at apple support.

My intention is to use the ibook when on the road, then dock it at my workstation, plugged into my firewire superdrive and hard disk, usb printer & scanner, and operate it with a bluetooth mouse & keyboard and view it with an external 17" LCD monitor via the vga display adaptor.

Can this be done? Ive done it before with pc laptops and the like. I know in the old days powerbooks could do this and ibooks couldnt, but has this changed with the new release?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

pat++
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 06:58 PM

I suspect this is a PowerBook feature only... Not sure though, but they only talk about PowerBooks here :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300562

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 07:55 PM

I looked for some info the other day about this. The only info I could find regarding clamshell mode was for the Dual USB white iBook (circa 2001), and it said it was definitely not recommended.

You can see the info here.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88199

Granted this info is old, but I probably wouldn't recommend it.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

gcvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 09:42 AM

Current iBooks are designed to vent heat through the keyboard, thus running them with the lid closed is not recommended.

SkaGoat
Apr 26, 2005, 11:50 AM

I don't think current iBooks are designed this way, it's not really that smart, because it won't cool down right away so if you've just been working the notebook hard and the close the lid to let it sleep, it would still kill stuff while it's asleep.

also my keyboard doesn't even get warm while in operation, and all the vents are on the back, or side. I'd assume the only reason it doesn't allow you to run it closed is because the PowerBook does.

But if you are concerned about heat, run a program that will allow you to keep an eye on temps.

damosan
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chimpmaster
Hi,

I have searched thoroughly and realise this question has been discussed in depth about the older models.
I think it's a PB feature. Having said that you can pop the lid like an inch or so and get the same effect can't you?

Chimpmaster  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by damosan
I think it's a PB feature. Having said that you can pop the lid like an inch or so and get the same effect can't you?
Originally Posted by damosan
Yeah good point.

Well I purchased yesterday and went for the 14" model anyway, so screen size isnt a major issue and I wont worry about an external monitor for now.

Sometime in the future perhaps though
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 12:31 AM

There is a hack that opens the feature in the iBook I have used it. It also opens up spanning as well it is nice to have a second monitor running to give you more work space. It even will work with a TV too. Look for the hacks via google or what ever search engine you prefer and you will find it. It was on this site as well. That is where I got it. Sorry I can't remember. I also run 1.128 GB of ram so heat is even more of an issue for me. I personally have not had probs. Not to say that you will or will not.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 27, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by gcvt
Current iBooks are designed to vent heat through the keyboard, thus running them with the lid closed is not recommended.
Just rumor. No doubt some heat does dissipate that way, but the last Apple laptop designed to vent through the keyboard was in 1998.

tooki

Chimpmaster  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Just rumor. No doubt some heat does dissipate that way, but the last Apple laptop designed to vent through the keyboard was in 1998.

tooki
Hmm thanks for the info guys. This is something I will look into further down the track.

Forum Links
Forum Rules