Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > i love my G5

i love my G5
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 11:34 PM

Hey, forgive me if this seems out of place, especially because there isn't any negativity, but I love my G5. It is the perfect machine for me, it's not like it's new, or anything special, 500 Gig HD, 20" ACD, 2 gigs of ram. For the first time in a while, I have looked at the Mac Pro and the iMac and said to myself, "I don't want this, I'd rather have my G5" I pretty much only use it for Aperture work, and the basic stuff, but I haven't had any problems with it for over a year, (it's only about 2 years old). I just love the stability of it, I think this thing is going to last me another 5 years...

I just love it and wanted to say so, what do you guys think?
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2007, 11:42 PM

I understand completely. I had felt the same way about my MDD Dual G4 until it caught fire earlier this summer.

BTW: Brace yourself for negative comments about how you can't keep the G5 for another five years because Apple has gone Intel. Meaning that if you hang onto a PowerPC machine - kittens will die, nukes will be launched, fire shall cover the Earth, and existence will come to an end for all.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 11:44 PM

Heh heh, judging by how you've been so supportive of PowerPC these past few years makes this more of a processor thing for you than a machine, eh? I actually just picked up a G4 on ebay for about 110 bucks, I need a machine for the friends to play on when they hang at my place, I also got a 15" studio, but the hinge that supports it in the back broke in the process of shipping, that doesn't stop the G4 + cinema display from being the most beautiful collection of macs ever... Congrats on the new machine as well!
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2007, 11:52 PM

Not so much a PowerPC thing as an older-machine thing. I've always been a fan of making things last. Especially when they work well for you. Buying a new high-end desktop every few years is something that is necessary for very few people. But it seems like every time Apple drops support or begins to drop support for something, the Mac user base gets up in arms over people trying to stick with said something.

And the desire to upgrade seems to land a lot of very good, functional, adequate older machines in the dump or in the closet.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2007, 12:02 AM

Yeah, that's whats so great about the G5, all those slots for DDR2, you can keep the RAM up in the game for a while, upgrade the video card soon too, maybe they'll have some kind of 3rd party processor upgrading kit like they had for the G4 in a few years. I do the same thing, I have a few beige machines left hanging around, I know they are kind of useless, but I just don't want to get rid of them, my lime iMac (os 9) my friend found on the street and gave it to me, I just set it up around the house for aim and web browsing.

In other words, I am a pack rat.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 12:14 AM

I love mine as well even though it's a third hand machine. Addition to my G5, I also love my FW800 G4 and iBook G4. Not sure why, after came home from work (even I use Mac at work) and just looking at my setup, I feel good about it.

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 12:33 AM

I'm with you man, I bought my G5 two and a half years ago now and it's still going strong. It's still snappy and fast for damn near everything I need to do. I know I'll probably upgrade within a couple of years but that's just because I'm a toy junky.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 12:57 AM

Love my G5 too! Best computer ever.

Off-topic, guys, my G5 is a dust magnet. I don't clean it enough, and I think it led to the death of my 9800XT and most recently my SuperDrive. I don't want anything like this, or anything worse, happening in the future. From now on I'll be cleaning it every three months, but I find the cans of compressed air weak and wasteful. I'm thinking of getting this air compressor that was recommended on another computing forum: http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...art.php?ref=42

Any thoughts?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 15, 2007 at 01:05 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AceWilfong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2007, 01:01 AM

Compressed air is an excellent way of moving dust from where you don't want it, into places you never imagined dust could get.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 01:24 AM

While not a mac comment on my part, I can relate. I have as my second computer an old Compaq SP700 dual PIII 550 Xeon box which has 1.5GB RAM at the moment, a 15K boot drive and 10K data drive (both SCSI). 16X pioneer burner and a Geforce4 Ti 4600 128MB video card too. Its running Win2k and it does everything I ask of it without complaints. Me loves this box too. Sure it wont play the latest games but it will do everything else.

I can definitly relate to wanting to keep that G5 for some time to come. If its doing its job, dont get rid of it. Plus I find an older computer hanging in there seems to somehow have character

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Not so much a PowerPC thing as an older-machine thing. I've always been a fan of making things last. Especially when they work well for you. Buying a new high-end desktop every few years is something that is necessary for very few people. But it seems like every time Apple drops support or begins to drop support for something, the Mac user base gets up in arms over people trying to stick with said something.

And the desire to upgrade seems to land a lot of very good, functional, adequate older machines in the dump or in the closet.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by AceWilfong View Post
Compressed air is an excellent way of moving dust from where you don't want it, into places you never imagined dust could get.
What alternative is there?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What alternative is there?
Vacuum.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 04:16 AM

I miss my G5, it NEVER let me down for over three years and then I ditched it as I didn't want to lose too much money pre-intel switch.

(I hope you're having a great time G5, wherever you are, thanks for the memories.)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2007, 05:37 AM

Lateralus, I have to ask, what caused your MDD to catch fire!?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 07:22 AM

I think the G5's are excellent machines and can keep up with much of what the intel Macs are doing. I picked up a cube earlier this year and while its only a G4, I was pleasantly surprised at how fast photoshop 5 was running os9. Office too was quick (2000 flavor)..

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Vacuum.
I heard something about 'non-static PC vacuum'. Shouldn't it be the right tool to suck out the dust than normal household vacuum?

So far I didn't notice any dust bunny on my Radeon X800 XT card yet. However, I assume that the first hand owner (aka MS Xbox 360 dev. team) used it intensively.

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2007, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I am glad you as enthusiastic about the G5 as I am.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Lateralus, I have to ask, what caused your MDD to catch fire!?
The PSU had been acting kinda spunky for a week or two but I kept ignoring it. And then one morning, I woke up, came out into the dining room, woke the computer from sleep mode... and then the PSU made snaps and crackles, orange light reflected off the wall behind the machine, the computer went off, and then the PCB inside the PSU proceeded to catch fire.

I got the fire out fairly quickly but after a bit of nasty smoke.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:58 PM

Count me in. I thought I would've upgraded by now, but I haven't needed to. I just put 2 more gigs of RAM and a 320 gig hard drive into my G5 and it's like a new machine. Honestly, for every day stuff, the dual quad-core Intel machine I use at work doesn't seem that much faster.

edit: Plus, on my G5, InDesign doesn't crash twenty times a night. And that's not an exaggeration.
( Last edited by Don Pickett; Aug 15, 2007 at 05:19 PM. )
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 08:35 PM

I like my G5 iMac a lot, except for the noise. I would love to get a 1.8 GHz Dualie or better, but due to room I'm afraid my next Mac will be a portable.

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2007, 10:22 AM

I don't mind the noise, even on the dualies.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2007, 12:04 PM

I don't get it...

Before my current G5, I also owned a Dual 1.8GHz Rev B and a Dual 2.5GHz Rev B. I would describe them both as the quietest machines I ever owned, except during initial startup.

Even my 2GHz iMac was relatively quiet unless I put it under heavy work load.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I don't get it...

Before my current G5, I also owned a Dual 1.8GHz Rev B and a Dual 2.5GHz Rev B. I would describe them both as the quietest machines I ever owned, except during initial startup.

Even my 2GHz iMac was relatively quiet unless I put it under heavy work load.
Really? Wierd. My 1.8 GHz iMac is the loudest machine I've ever heard, short of my school's Xserves. The Power Mac G5s that I've used have always been fairly quiet, but in a quiet setting I could always hear the fans rev up and down. BTW, Lateralus, you need Power Mac stars

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 01:55 PM

To be honest I never noticed my My G5 being terribly loud. Even now my Macpro seems quiet. What both (I think the G5 was worse) is that they're freakin heat pumps. I don't have A/C in my home office and when I run off my MacPro (and before that the G5) it just made the room so much hotter. The G5 seemed to be the worst offender but I really like the G5 and I was sorry to see it go, but the siren song of the MacPro was calling

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2007, 02:10 PM

That's what I meant, I just never noticed the noise of the dualies, if they're even noisey at all.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 08:37 PM

I also truly like my 20" iSight iMac g5. Very reliable, quiet like a sleeping mouse.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2007, 10:21 PM

I don't see why my G5 won't last for years. I've had it (rev A dual 2.0) for 3 years now (bought refurb. in August 2004) and it still shreds in Photoshop and Logic. I upgraded the video card to the 256 mb 9600 pro, and since I never play games, it's quite sufficient for me. Last year, I added a 250 gb drive for storage, and it's got 3.5 gb of RAM in it, and it just never even breaks a sweat. I'll keep it for as long as it runs, probably.

I do dust it with compresed air every couple of months, as they really do build up pretty bad compared to the G4s.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2007, 11:00 PM

Thats awesome. Now that I have my MBP, I catch myself looking at the old G3/G4 under my desk and thinking about how much I love that machine. PPC macs are awesome, the intel is faster and newer, but the PPC machines just ran for ages without so much as a hiccup. The MBP is great but it isn't the same.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2007, 07:53 AM

I'm quite happy with my G5 as well. I'm sure I'll run it into the ground. As happy as I am with my Powerbook G4 I'll be replacing that for an Intel model so I can use the WinXP stuff for the office, but that's about the only reason.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

tmpilling
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 04:47 AM

I was devastated the day that I let my G5 go. Thing was that it couldn't come with me in my backpack. The remedy to the situation was of course to buy a g4 powerbook. Still runs all my software quick enough for me to not get arsey and it looks nice too. I do miss the old G5 though.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 10:40 AM

I have the MDD and Rev. A G5 sitting in 2 different rooms. The MDD is constantly making fans' noise, but the G5 gets more sensors to tell which fan to spin faster. Sometimes the G5 is louder than the infamous WindTunnelâ„¢ MDD.

ColdFireDragon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger View Post
Hey, forgive me if this seems out of place, especially because there isn't any negativity, but I love my G5. It is the perfect machine for me,
I think that's awesome! I got back into Macs with the move to Intel, (bought a MacBook Pro, fell in love with it then bought a MacPro later). So I never had the chance to use the PowerPC ones, the Mac I had before was a Motorolla 68040 based Performa. I honestly would like to get a PowerMac G5 and one othe ATi Radeon x1900's for it for my son, his wondows system gets more viruses then I can shake a stick at. The idea behind getting a PowerMac would be that he can't install windows and keep getting infected ^.=.^

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ColdFireDragon View Post
I think that's awesome! I got back into Macs with the move to Intel, (bought a MacBook Pro, fell in love with it then bought a MacPro later). So I never had the chance to use the PowerPC ones, the Mac I had before was a Motorolla 68040 based Performa. I honestly would like to get a PowerMac G5 and one othe ATi Radeon x1900's for it for my son, his wondows system gets more viruses then I can shake a stick at. The idea behind getting a PowerMac would be that he can't install windows and keep getting infected ^.=.^
He would love that. Heck, any Mac is an improvement over that thing

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007, 11:51 PM

In my local office max they are selling (brand new) g5 2.3 for around 1,200 USD. Being in Mexico, I guess those are left overs or extra inventory. I´m tempted, but my necessities basically are Office related software. I was thinking of getting rid of my mac mini and aging ibook, get this G5 and a Macbook Pro and cover basically desktop and laptop with the flexibility of running windows on the macbook pro if required. I´m still pondering it.

regards,

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I have the MDD and Rev. A G5 sitting in 2 different rooms. The MDD is constantly making fans' noise, but the G5 gets more sensors to tell which fan to spin faster. Sometimes the G5 is louder than the infamous WindTunnelâ„¢ MDD.
It seems to me that the more recent OSX revs made the fan louder. When I first got my G5 I almost never heard it. Now, when I'm even updating my iPod on iTunes, it spins up the fans.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
It seems to me that the more recent OSX revs made the fan louder. When I first got my G5 I almost never heard it. Now, when I'm even updating my iPod on iTunes, it spins up the fans.
I normally use my G5 for Handbrake. Meanwhile, everytime I plugin any FireWire bus powered device to my MDD, the fan seems to spin slower.

cvk_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I normally use my G5 for Handbrake. Meanwhile, everytime I plugin any FireWire bus powered device to my MDD, the fan seems to spin slower.
I am an official beta tester for HandBrake. Thought y'all might enjoy a G5 (only) Tiger (only) Optimized version of the application. It will improve your encoding with x264.

cvk_b's G5 Optimized HandBrake 0.9.0

MD5: <7793d828070b2255d684f1fcc3bb43a8>

TomRitchford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2007, 07:41 PM

There's only one thing wrong with my G5 but that one does kill a lot of my enjoyment -- it's that the fan is incredibly, super loud. It didn't start that way but it's gotten worse over time.

I've gone through all the suggestions on the web, resetting the PMU, half-a-dozen other things. There was some improvement but at a certain point I do something to make the CPU work and then the fan gets really loud and never revs back down again.

I bought this computer at least partly to make music. I didn't expect to be able to record using mics in the room with it -- but I also didn't expect that the computer would be so loud that it would compete with music playback.

I have a long, thin apartment and if I don't have music turned on, the G5 is the loudest thing in it -- I can hear it on the other side of the place. I'm probably going to get some sort of case for it, but that's more crap I have to buy and that gets in the way -- and what about ventilation for the case?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
That's pretty much what happened with my iMac. As soon as I upgraded to Tiger (from Panther) the fans doubled in noise. Although when I boot Panther now, they are still loud.

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2007, 09:22 AM

It's probably a firmware thing, that gives the hardware a perminate command.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by cvk_b View Post
I am an official beta tester for HandBrake. Thought y'all might enjoy a G5 (only) Tiger (only) Optimized version of the application. It will improve your encoding with x264.

cvk_b's G5 Optimized HandBrake 0.9.0

MD5: <7793d828070b2255d684f1fcc3bb43a8>
Thank you. It works flawlessly.

nikstar101
Sep 20, 2007, 04:54 PM

I recently thought about changing my PowerMac G5. But i came to realise that it does everything i want it to, is as quick as i need it to be and is a PowerMac!!

I must admit there is still something about it being a PowerMac not a Mac Pro that makes me want to keep it (an Old School Mac). Especially at it was one of the first PowerMac G5s to be delivered (i ordered it as soon as it was announced). So it is now 4 years old and hasn't missed a beat.

Nik

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 07:41 PM

I too have an Imac G5 (1.9Ghz, 1.5G Ram, 17", Isight) and its a beautiful machine. Its very quiet and I hope it lasts me a while. Id like a notebook but we cant have it all can we
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Avanon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 03:38 AM

Great thread. I have one of the last PM G5's, the late-2005 Dual-Core 2.0 GHz. I was worried at the time that I might have made a mistake, seeing as I knew the Intel-transition was coming, but it's been a real workhorse, never given me any problems or let me down. I've had nearly two years of great computing without any worries of software being native or not. I put ATI's x1900 G5-Edition card in it for playing World of Warcraft and Call of Duty 2, and it really breathed life into the system.

I found 10.4.10 to slow it down somewhat on boot, but otherwise it runs everything (CS3, Logic Pro 7, Avid Xpress Pro) like a champ. I'll put Leopard on it when it comes out. The next upgrade is to add 2GBs more of RAM, as Logic just eats RAM for lunch.

The only thing that would be nice would be if I could boot it native into XP to play "BioShock" and the upcoming "The Force Unleashed." That would be the only impetus for me to get a Mac Pro.

Martin
( Last edited by Avanon; Sep 22, 2007 at 03:46 AM. )
DC 2.0 GHz PM G5/2.5 GB RAM/750 GB HD/ATI x1900 G5-Edition
Athlon 2500+/1 GB RAM/2x500 GB RAID/Radeon 9700
14" 1.42 GHz iBook G4/1.5 GB RAM/60 GB HD

Q80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2007, 10:04 PM

waitin on my g5

Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2007, 10:28 PM

Unfortunately, my only experience with a G5 has been a month with a whiny iMac G5 that revved up its squealin' fans under almost any minor load...

Other than that, I have a G4 and all Intels, so I haven't really been in on the G5 boat.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2007, 11:20 AM

I love mine. Even though it had a liquid cooling meltdown, Applecare took care of it
and it's going strong today.

3.5 gb ram, + 1.2 TB disc, Radeon 9600XT, Superdrive, my big studio rig:
http://pod.ath.cx/studio/latest.jpg

OreoCookie
Oct 18, 2007, 12:36 PM

IMHO the original Dual 2.0 G5 is one of the best Macs ever made, it's an awesome machine that remained current for many, many moons. Glad to see you enjoy your machine.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Oct 18, 2007 at 12:51 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

no shoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2007, 03:58 PM

I love my PM, still fast and does everything I need and hopefully will do for a good while.

On the topic of upgrades, I'm really needing to upgrade the HD. I've got a dual-core PM but I remember there being some problems with getting HDs to work in them, or something like that. Anyone know if those problems are still there? Can I pretty much just stick in something like a maxtor or seagate SATA drive and away I go?

Cheers

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 11:34 PM

Dual 2.0 G5 PM. Best money I've ever spent on a computer, bar none. It's even managed to outlive my PowerMac G4 1.67, which is over a year newer.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules