Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which Macbook would you recommend for me?

Which Macbook would you recommend for me?
Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2009, 10:37 AM

Hi guys,

I am a fairly long time mac user (10 years).

I currently use a G5 Imac (17inch). Ive had it for 3 years and am ready to sell it and upgrade.

I am looking @ the 2.4Ghz macbook. I intend to configure it with the 4GB RAM and a 250GB hd.

I will use it for browsing, pages, numbers, MYOB and some light gaming. (waiting for diablo 3.....)

Do I need a macbook pro or will the macbook suffice?

Also, should I get the 2.4Ghz model or the basic 2Ghz. Money is an issue but I can afford either or.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2009, 11:23 AM

Judging by the light use you mention a MB should be fine. The MBP has a nicer screen (brightness, colors, angle), so maybe you should compare both at a store to make sure the MB's screen suits you.

If you can afford both MBs you should definitely go with the 2.4 GHz model. Not only is it faster but it already comes with the HDD you want and it's got the great backlit KB. That might sound like a gimmick to somebody who's never had one, but once you've become used to it you'll never want to be w/o it.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2009, 03:54 PM

What Simon said.

Note that screen size and pixel count are much larger on MBPs, maximum on the 17" size. Test out the different size displays with your typical usage. For spreadsheets and graphics, for instance, I find the MB screen real estate and pixel count too limiting for my needs, and I hate glossy displays. However both those issues can be dealt with when in desktop mode by adding an auxiliary display.

HTH

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Apr 28, 2009 at 04:00 PM. )

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2009, 04:24 PM

Before you even decide which MacBook you will go for, I'd recommend you to not upgrade via Apple. RAM (and even unibody-fitting HDDs) are substantially cheaper elsewhere and it won't void your warranty.

With regards to which MacBook is best for you .. it's really personal between the MBP and MB (both 2.4GHz model - I'd stay away from the 2.0 because of a lack of backlit keyboard and power you may very well end up needing in the future). Personally, I opted for the MacBook because it was nimble and light - something that'll fit in my bag without a squeeze. Contrary to a lot of (justified?) screen-bashing around here, I have no problems with mine. I prefer glossy - vibrance and boldness are a must for me. In terms of reflections - this may sound superman-esque of me, but I can 'look past' the reflection and just the screen as normal.

With regards to gaming - the 9400M can handle HL2 on high settings, I'm not sure about others. I wouldn't call it a future-proof card but it can certainly handle today's games on a not-so-bad framerate.

Chimpmaster  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks guys.

You have helped me make a decision.

I am going to get the 2.4Ghz macbook. Ill give the RAM some more thought. Buying it separately is a good idea to save $.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2009, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chimpmaster View Post
Ill give the RAM some more thought. Buying it separately is a good idea to save $.
Indeed.

You can get 2x2GB DDR3 no-name RAM for $57 shipped at Newegg. They also have Muschkin for $58 shipped or Crucial for $58. Those are a bit more than half as expensive as Apple's CTO upgrade prices.

Keep in mind that if you don't purchase RAM from Apple as CTO it won't be included in your MB's warranty or AppleCare. Of course good RAM will come with its own (often lifelong) warranty. To play it safe I'd keep Apple's stock RAM around in case you ever have to send the MB in.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 29, 2009 at 02:39 AM. )

Chinasaur
Senior User
May 2, 2009, 04:02 PM

I'm also looking at the 2.4Ghz Macbook, but my head is telling me to go with a refurb'd 2.0Ghz with the 9400M chip. Refurb store has it for $849 which is a great price for that chip. Only the plastic vs aluminum issue is keeping me from buying.

Either way, be sure to go via the refurb'd store. it's a $200 savings on the Unibody Macbook 2.4Ghz!
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2009, 02:23 AM

Get the plastic only if you need FW. Otherwise definitely go unibody. It offers a lot more than the plastic and the only thing it doesn't match or exceed is FW. There's a 2.0 GHz unibody model at the refurb store for $1099 right now. The 2.4 GHz model is $1299.

macfix
May 20, 2009, 11:30 PM

Do you qualify for the education discount?

Forum Links
Forum Rules