Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Odd Stuffit Expander Error (only w/.gz files)

Odd Stuffit Expander Error (only w/.gz files)
kuchiguchi
Sep 29, 2000, 11:02 AM

Here's the little problem I've been having.

I can download and expand any .sit/.hqx file of my liking. Stuffit Expander (the osx version) opens it, expands it, and leaves me with a new program.

However, I've encountered an ongoing problem with .tar.gz files. Once they download, expander opens them, gets perhaps half way through their expansion, then stops, saying that "a disk error occured (-50)"

Might anyone experience a similar problem or know a solution? This has got me incredibly puzzled and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

chris

Sep 29, 2000, 02:01 PM

Yeah, I've been getting the same thing.

adaml
Sep 29, 2000, 06:07 PM

Yes I have had the same problem.

I am going to switch to Openup which is available on Stepwise somewhere.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 29, 2000, 09:21 PM

Currently, Stuffit messes up .tar files. You cannot use Stuffit to expand them.

I expand from the Terminal using Gnutar. This is a bit of a pain, but works.

I have also heard that OpenUp in combination with OmniWeb will allow .tar downloads to open up properly, but I have not investigated. Pain or not, the Terminal expansion option works and is already here.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2000, 11:27 PM

A word of warning --
any command concerning compression/decompression in the zsh shell results in an error. My tcsh file got corrupted and I had to switch to zsh, and since then I have had no way to expand ".tar.gz" files.

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Sep 30, 2000, 08:04 AM

Has anyone noticed how slow stuffit is on OS X? Tar or gnutar are very, very fast in the Terminal. The command you need is "tar -xzf filename"

Squidgy
Sep 30, 2000, 09:23 AM

I agree with the above.

Now the question I have is, how do you keep Stuffit Expander from automatically launching after IE finishes downloading a .gz archive? I unchecked all of Stuffit's automatic decompression preferences, so at least it doesn't try to unstuff anything and muck it up, but it still launches and then just sits there, and that is annoying. Is there any way to get OpenUp to be the "default" decompressor in IE? or should I just start using OmniWeb?

Thanks in advance.

- Ken
- Ken A.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2000, 12:17 PM

I noticed that IE did startup Stuffit(classic one, not X one) for .tar.gz. I just use Omniweb because it is a better browser. But opening up a terminal and typing gnutar -xzf FILENAME is not painful. It's actually faster since there is no gui. But openup works fine for both .sit files and .tar.gz files. So download OpenUp, do gnutar -xzf filename in a terminal, then use Omniweb. Problems solved.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Forum Links
Forum Rules