Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Brain tumor vaccine

Brain tumor vaccine
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2007, 03:09 PM

ScienceDaily: Brain Tumor Vaccine Trial Shows Promising Results

Just in case anyone missed the news blurb on the new vaccine. Giloma is a brain cancer, and is 100% fatal. Basically, if you're diagnosed with Giloma, you generally nave no more than 6 months to live. Well, now there's a vaccine that's being tested that has some exciting results:

Of the 12 patients being treated, eight can currently be evaluated for overall survival, while four are still receiving treatment. Seven out of the eight patients have exceeded the historical median benchmark of 6.5 months survival from time of recurrence. The investigators will continue to follow the patients for overall survival. Based on these results, a larger, multi-center phase 2 study is planned for late 2007.

My family on my mom's side, unfortunately, has a very strong history of cancer. I try to keep up on related research. This particular discovery is pretty damn awesome, I hope it turns out well.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 03:16 PM

That's great, I'll have to tell my GF about this. Her dad and grand dad died from brain tumors so... She's got a fair chance of getting it once she hits 50 or so. Here's to hoping that it doesn't spread to the female side (I've been told that it's quite possible that it only affects males).

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2007, 03:22 PM

Very cool. Hopefully we'll conquer cancer within the next couple of decades. My grandfather died of colon cancer, and I have a great uncle who is dying of cancer now too. I definitely don't want to go out that way.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 03:40 PM

My dad died of cancer as well. Not brain, but this is good news. It might be interesting to poll how many people in this forum have been touched by cancer either directly or with a relative.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 04:01 PM

Activating an immune response to one's own glia sounds like a recipe for multiple sclerosis. But that would probably take a few years, years you otherwise wouldn't have at all, so...

Forum Links
Forum Rules