Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question about migration assistant on Macbook Pro

Question about migration assistant on Macbook Pro
jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2006, 05:17 PM

I just received my new Macbook Pro C2D and it is great so far. The fit and finish is flawless. I used migration assistant to transfer my account from my powerbook G4 and I noticed a discrepency of 10 gigs between the two machines. My powerbook says the HD has 38 gigs of data on it and when I transferred it all over to the Macbook Pro I now have 48 gigs of data on the Macbook. Does anyone know how to account for this difference? One thought was Rosetta but it seems big to me. Everything else is great so far with the Macbook Pro. Apple never lets me down.
12.1" Powerbook G4

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by jlgrandam View Post
I just received my new Macbook Pro C2D and it is great so far. The fit and finish is flawless. I used migration assistant to transfer my account from my powerbook G4 and I noticed a discrepency of 10 gigs between the two machines. My powerbook says the HD has 38 gigs of data on it and when I transferred it all over to the Macbook Pro I now have 48 gigs of data on the Macbook. Does anyone know how to account for this difference? One thought was Rosetta but it seems big to me. Everything else is great so far with the Macbook Pro. Apple never lets me down.

See if it copied a vitual memory file.....

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 10, 2006, 09:37 PM

Migration Assistant is an OS feature. I'm going to move this to the Mac OS forum for more and potentially better results.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 10:36 PM

I didn't use Migration Assistant, but I did with my wife's 24" from a 17" 1.25 G4 iMac. Very good results. Zero issues, quite incredible. I think I should've done the same.

jlgrandam  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2006, 05:40 PM

Hi, could you tell me how to look for this? Thanks!
12.1" Powerbook G4

gansan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by jlgrandam View Post
Hi, could you tell me how to look for this? Thanks!
I don't know how old your Powerbook is, but Migration Assistant copied my MacOS 9 and OS 9 applications from my PB G4 over to my MBP. So check the root of the hard drive for those things and trash 'em.

Forum Links
Forum Rules