Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari banished from my dock - new builds of Camino are fantastic

Safari banished from my dock - new builds of Camino are fantastic (Page 2)
Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
Okay, so this is neither here nor there, but since I switched to Mac, it's such a pleasure being on bulletin boards where people spell correctly and even capitalize at the beginning of sentences! It's like the average IQ of everyone around me just went up by 20%.

Anyway, since my spelling is already pretty good, I think I'll check out the new Camino build. Feature-wise, Omniweb is the best browser I've ever seen, but it's not as snappy as it should be on my G4.
I find there are more Mac users in my local Mensa group than PC users

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2004, 08:25 PM

Preview:

Guide to Camino-modding goodness v1:
http://carbon.ambitiouslemon.com/macnn/CaminoMods.zip
... just read the Read Me file and you should be good to go

Later
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

arjay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Andy8:
I find there are more Mac users in my local Mensa group than PC users
As I have found in my Al-anon as well

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
Guide to Camino-modding goodness v1:
http://carbon.ambitiouslemon.com/macnn/CaminoMods.zip
... just read the Read Me file and you should be good to go

Later
//Carbon
Thanks alot!

taldrich
Sep 11, 2004, 05:59 AM

Safari has one very useful aspect: being able to synchronise bookmarks over iSync. I use four different Macs in different locations home/office/office/powerbook. I'd try another brower if there was an easy way to synchronise bookemarks......
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 06:25 AM

Cheers Carbon, ya the man!

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 11, 2004, 07:37 AM

While sticking primarily with Safari I occasionally check out what's happening with Mozilla, Firefox, etc. Just downloaded the latest Camino nightly and I like it a lot! It is fast, feels a bit faster than Safari. Only glitch I see is that as I type this post in the text field the cursor blinks at an fast, random rate...very distracting. Anyone else getting this?
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
Guide to Camino-modding goodness v1
Many thanks.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2004, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
While sticking primarily with Safari I occasionally check out what's happening with Mozilla, Firefox, etc. Just downloaded the latest Camino nightly and I like it a lot! It is fast, feels a bit faster than Safari. Only glitch I see is that as I type this post in the text field the cursor blinks at an fast, random rate...very distracting. Anyone else getting this?
Same here (i.e. check out and cursor blinks)

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 11, 2004, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
Yeah. While typing this reply for example.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 08:48 AM

I have just downloaded camino and am giving it a whirl - so far looks nice quick, and just about as fluid and user friendly as safari. Replaced firefox as the alternative browser already!

kugino
Sep 11, 2004, 02:08 PM

it does pages okay...it, along with firefox, still doesn't do the password box rendering correctly when accessing my .Mac homepage...there are black vertical lines in the metallic box.

my three biggest complaints so far:
1. you can't roll your mouse over the bookmarks bar folders and choose what's inside...you have to go over to the next folder, click again, etc.
2. scrolling is terrible...big lag, and then it quickly scrolls...using Sidetrack is cumbersome. Safari scrolls well, as does Omniweb...Firefox scrolls poorly, too. unacceptable.
3. no auto filling of URLs in the address bar.

maybe i'll wait until the 1.0 release...still feels very much like a beta.

JimWG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2004, 05:41 PM

Greetings:

I'd been using maverick iCab for years, but within the last month I ruefully put away my old now sluggish and CSS quirky+ standard for Camino. Granted, it hasn't yet the bells and whistles of iCab and others, but hey; iCab's been in "beta" for almost five years! (or feels like!) and there's an actual team working on Camino and they seem very responsible to suggestions and comments and are far more Mac loyal than most other browser companies. So this is the horse I'm putting my money on to ride.

James Greenidge

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 10:42 AM

Scrolling seems fine to me even compared to safari. strange.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 04:36 AM

I like it, it has replaced Safari as my defult browser. I do miss the spell check and hope that feature is added in a future release.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by kugino:

my three biggest complaints so far:
1. you can't roll your mouse over the bookmarks bar folders and choose what's inside...you have to go over to the next folder, click again, etc.
2. scrolling is terrible...big lag, and then it quickly scrolls...using Sidetrack is cumbersome. Safari scrolls well, as does Omniweb...Firefox scrolls poorly, too. unacceptable.
3. no auto filling of URLs in the address bar.
Not sure what you mean with number 1. Scrolling is a lot better for me in Camino, strange. And Camino most definetely does have auto filling of URLs, although I think what you mean is that you have to press the down arrow first. I prefer this method now, it means you can more easily choose which page to go to, Safari was always too keen with its autofill for me.

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 07:03 AM

I still use iCab for my regular surfing, I like controlling every aspect of a page.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
I still use iCab for my regular surfing, I like controlling every aspect of a page.
What can you do in iCab that you can't do in other browsers via a custom stylesheet?

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 12:46 PM

somewhat related:
Safari won't let me block flash-ads through custom stylesheets.. This pisses me off.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
somewhat related:
Safari won't let me block flash-ads through custom stylesheets.. This pisses me off.
check out pith helmet. Best $10 I've spent in a while.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
check out pith helmet. Best $10 I've donated in a while.
Fixed.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 03:28 PM

Pith Helmet used to give me quite a performance hit in Safari - and screw up an occasional site.

Has it been significantly upgraded in last year?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 03:52 PM

iCab is useless. It has so many rendering problems... fine for an OS 9 or even System 7 browser, but using it in OS X is ridiculous given how many other, better browsers there are. I like the customization too, but still... it's rare that I encounter a page that iCab renders properly, vs. the other way around for most other browsers.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
iCab is useless. It has so many rendering problems... fine for an OS 9 or even System 7 browser, but using it in OS X is ridiculous given how many other, better browsers there are. I like the customization too, but still... it's rare that I encounter a page that iCab renders properly, vs. the other way around for most other browsers.
Yeah iCab use to be great back in the day of OS9, but I really don't see any compelling reason to use it now. It does have some nice features, like the kiosk mode, but it has nothing that would make me want to use it over the other browsers.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
Pith Helmet used to give me quite a performance hit in Safari - and screw up an occasional site.

Has it been significantly upgraded in last year?
Pithhelmet makes Safari noticeable slower, even the latest versions.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
Safari was always too keen with its autofill for me.
Yeah like if you are trying to go to the main URL of a site, and it is now out of the history but some other pages are still in, you have quickly press enter within about a 1/2 second of finishing typing the URL or else if you hit enter just a tad too late, it will take you to the autofill URL
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Forum Links
Forum Rules