Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What would you like to see in next PB?

What would you like to see in next PB? (Page 2)
wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 08:48 PM

Would putting in one of those Toshiba hard drives found in iPods be workable in a PB?

I'm not sure how fast the hard drive would be but if it is workable at 4200 RPMs, that might be something to look at.

Has anyone actually tried using their iPod for intensive work besides playing mp3s?

It will get to the point one day in the future when we can see those Toshiba hard drives (and their competitors) as standard equipment on laptops.

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
it's 60 now. sad that my harddrive is now the same size as the largest capcity harddrive
( Last edited by wilsonng; Nov 23, 2004 at 03:45 AM. )

macntory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Andrik:
12" with internal UMTS modem (to hold eg a Vodafone SIM card). Am I the only one travelling in Europe? Backlit keyboard. And no annoying fan.
I need no faster CPU, just more RAM.

Andrik

12" Superdrive G4 867 MHz 640 MB RAM 40 GB HD Airport
Yes to the modem for really international cell phone use. In fact, wouldn't it be grand if Apple went into the "iphone" business whereby one could have a cell phone hooked to an Apple powerbook that could call up an ISP carrier (all over the world) at ISP carrier rates with much faster connections!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2004, 02:57 AM

-I'd definitely like to see higher resolution screans on the powerbooks... perhaps a shift from 12" to 13" widescrean and have all the powerbooks be widescreans. I didn't like this idea at first when I read it in an above post, but then I got to thinking about it, and I realized that the poster was right. We really do need to seperate the 12" ibook from the 12" powerbook, and a size change would do it.

-2 Mouse Buttons Please!

-Longer Batt Life

-Uniform Features over all sizes within reason. Larger notebooks warrent more video ram, faster processor, etc... but offer fw800, gigabit ethernet, pc card slot, and a high quality graphics chip over all sizes.

-Upgradeable video... I'm guessing we will see this when the G5s come out as most of the high end PC notebooks are going to upgradable chips via PCI express... If G5 notebooks come out when we all think they will... sometime not too soon... we probably will see something like this
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

PodPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 03:14 AM

( Last edited by PodPerson; Nov 23, 2004 at 04:05 AM. )

PodPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 03:38 AM

PowerPOD Ultra Lite "MINIbook":
(Mini Cooper of PowerBooks)

Design an Ultra Lite book that you can dock your iPod directly into. Use the scroll click wheel as a navigation device. Use the iPod hardrive (40-60GB) as Minibook HD.
Minibook has on board battery & plug-in capabilities, plus Bluetooth/IR & Airport capabilities. (NO dial up modem / No CDRW-DVDR drive.) Just DVD player only.
Screen can use clickwheel OR handwriting pen device.
Back of screen is a solar panel for battery recharging.
Built-in camera / iSight device.
Firewire / USB 2 ports for uploading / downloading.
Mobile versions of iPhoto & iTunes.
VOIP Internet voice/phone + AIM/Blackberry device.
Keyboard like a Treo or Blackberry device.
iSync with Mac OS XL (ten lite) syncs with Palm/Treo/Sidekick phone/camera.

Folds completely down in a carbon fiber clamshell to protect screen & iPod.
Total Internet WiFi wireless mobile device...On the go!

My 2 cents...
=8-<)

wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 03:52 AM

I remembered some Apple rumor site said that a feature that was pulled out of Panther was the ability to have a mobile Home folder that could be placed on to your iPod. You just take your iPod to the closest Mac and then just log in to your Home folder residing on the iPod. You'd have all the applications and documents on your iPod rather than on your hard drive.

I'm still wondering whether putting the Toshiba hard drives that are in the iPods would be usable instead of using 2.5" hard drives.

Originally posted by PodPerson:
PowerPOD Ultra Lite "MINIbook":
(Mini Cooper of PowerBooks)

Design an Ultra Lite book that you can dock your iPod directly into. Use the scroll click wheel as a navigation device. Use the iPod hardrive (40-60GB) as Minibook HD.

PodPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 04:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wilsonng:

what if the MINIbook/PowerPOD had an Toshiba HD on board +iPOD HD, but they were a RAID system when you docked your iPOD into MINIbook?
combo iPOD mini drives?
Also, MINIbook should have a large supply of DDR Ram on board as well to minimalize excessive HD activity...

Y/N/Maybe?
( Last edited by PodPerson; Nov 23, 2004 at 04:07 AM. )

byzantium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 07:14 AM

I'd second that comment on use of plastics instead of metal.

I've got a Pismo and a Ti 867. I like the Pismo better; there's no fan coming on every 10 minutes, plastic doesn't scratch easily, the body stays cool to the touch. (Ever put a metal laptop on your lap on a cold morning??)

I would have to say that my Ti feels like a disposable machine. I mean, it's 2 years old, and it not only looks more beat up than the Pismo, but it's had more problems too -- broken keys, dead pixels, etc. And while I'm a heavy user of it (for work) I've done my best to take care of it.

The Ti is a great looking machine, but I think maybe it was too much form over function.

Carbon fiber, or plastic - whatever - just as long as it's more durable, less noisy, and doesn't burn up as quick.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 09:54 AM

I don't really care what it looks like or the fact that I almost need pot holders to handle it at times... I'm willing to put up with that for the important stuff. Key stuff for me:

PB12 with:
FW800
Larger internal HD (120GB, please)
Faster internal HD (7200rpm, please)
>1.5GHz CPU or dual core
Best video card that fits
Nice, crisp screen (don't need 13"WS; std 1024x768, but sharp)

I wouldn't mind two mouse buttons and the backlit keyboard, but that's nothing compared to FW800.

They could drop the 56K modem for all I care... I've never used it in any Mac I own... I connect via Ethernet, AirPort, or cell phone. Offer a small 56K USB modem as alternative.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 09:57 AM

I don't want any revision of the PowerBook line until I'm ready to but one. I want my rev c 17 to remain king of the hill for a few years, then magically give way for a spiffy G5 model.
Then we can talk about wish lists.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 10:23 AM

On the software side, BIG agreement with this. They need to make it easy to setup iPhoto, iTunes, and iMovie to be able to use the big FW HD on your desk, but designate just some of it to be on your PB drive. Managing this by hand is a pain.

Minibook has on board battery & plug-in capabilities, plus Bluetooth/IR & Airport capabilities. (NO dial up modem / No CDRW-DVDR drive.) Just DVD player only.
Built-in camera / iSight device.
VOIP Internet voice/phone + AIM/Blackberry device.
Keyboard like a Treo or Blackberry device.
iSync with Mac OS XL (ten lite) syncs with Palm/Treo/Sidekick phone/camera.
Total Internet WiFi wireless mobile device...On the go!
I have a different slant on this... I want just two devices: a highly functional always-with-me Treo-like cellphone plus my fully functional PB12 that lays into my desktop environment (extra screen, extra HDs, etc.).

The Treo needs to have the built-in camera, the built-in iSight, the built-in iPod, and the built-in connectivity. From it, I can do simple on-the-go web browsing, email access, VoIP, iChat AV, etc.

Then, when I'm getting work done, I have my PB12 with full-size keyboard and full-size screen. I hook my Treo to it for the built-in camera, iSight, and extra connectivity. Given I will always have my Treo with me when I have my PB with me, I don't really need any of the stuff in my Treo taking up space in my PB.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 12:06 PM

ulra lite ibook.

No optical drive, no modem, no ethernet

a single usb port

a single firewire 400 port

built-in wireless and bluetooth

better screen resolution.

before xmas

BenRoethig
Nov 23, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Better processors... not just faster, BETTER. Higher bus speed and twice the L2 cache would do nicely. Even if the MHz stayed the same, it would help.

Mobility Radeon 9800 video, 128 MB standard. Across the board? Perhaps. 12" should get at least a 64 MB GeForce 5700 Go, if it must remain nVidia.

Better screens are a must! The current ones are dull and washed out compared to the screens used by "premium" PC laptops. Go ahead and let the iBook keep its crappy screen, but the PowerBooks should all get those new ultra bright, high contrast screens.

Better battery life is also a must. The current PowerBooks are pathetic compared to the Pentium Ms.

5400 RPM drives should be standard, and a 7200 RPM option should be available on all models.

I'd like to see sturdier construction. The PowerBooks are sleek and sexy, but also they seem really fragile. I mean, the old Pismos are staying around a lot longer than TiBooks. A metal case might be cool, but plastic is probably better. Unfortunately, there are too many people who would buy a PowerBook entirely for its looks, and would be turned off by a plastic case, even if it meant superior durability.

People have talked about this since January 2003, but a PC card slot on the 12" would be good. I don't see why they shouldn't include one, it doesn't exactly take a ton of space.

I don't see where you guys are getting the idea of having a fanless laptop. Even the G3 iBooks had a fan (a damn noisy one at that, should it ever turn on).
The 9800 is a meant for DTR notebooks. It's too hot for a 1" notebook. The 9700 will be the best GPU available until the jump to PCI-e

bruddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2004, 01:47 AM

Great thread - I liked it so much I had to join the forum and chime in myself. I just hope that decision makers at Apple might see it all thetoo.

We all agree to the standard desires - G5, faster video and bus, longer battery. Here�s my list of absolutes, things I read and liked, and a few new ones of my own (ranked):

ABSOLUTELY:
1) 2 button mouse (with some sort of scroll capability)
2) Higher resolution across the board (nothing major), especially on the 17"
3) Bluetooth 2.0

FAVORITES I READ AND CHAMPION MYSELF (new features, not just better ones):
1) Built-in iSight like Casper Crane described. Center top of screen or on a flexible arm (even better) � anything would be great. Even if it�s not quite as good as an iSight, I�d love having it, would use it a lot more, and wouldn�t have to carry around my iSight anymore.
2) Video/Audio input and/or TV tuner would be fantastic (BenRoethig)! Imagine using your PlayStation on road trips, showing your iPod photo slideshow on someone else�s laptop, or recording TV shows at home (I�ll try to stay away from hoping for an Apple DVR or Apple to buy TiVo since this is hardware only).
3) Card reader of some sort supporting at least Compact & SC Flash cards (BenRoethig). Digital cameras are just way to common and I don�t carry around a (slow) USB cord everywhere.
4) Flip around screen for tablet. I like it, but I�d suggest a rotating screen instead which would offer other possibilities as well as protecting the keyboard while down in tablet mode. It�d certainly make just watching movies on a plane (or anywhere traveling) much easier. Some sort of touch-screen would become VERY useful if this ever came to be.
5) At least one versatile bay.

MY OWN:
1) How about adding a stylus and allow the track pad to also be used as a baby tablet! This would allow you (or anyone) to sign documents easily, would enhance any drawing program, and offer handwritten journal type entries for those who enjoy writing vs. typing. Being so small, it wouldn't really cannibalize 3rd party sales - actually might help them if people got addicted and wanted better. I had thought that the whole Inkwell hype might lead to something like this instead of the relative nothing it�s offered.
2) TWO stereo audio outs.
2) A few, configurable jump buttons above the keyboard like you see on PC laptops (Internet, Mail, iPhoto, iTunes, etc.) tastefully done as only Apple can do.
3) Be the first to integrate Ultraband. We need Apple to kick off this great technology only the way they can (like they did with Airport/WiFi and so many others).

THINGS THAT DON�T BOTHER ME / DON�T CARE ABOUT:
1) Fan. Great if it weren�t there, but it never really bothers me.
2) Heat. Sure it�s a bit hot, but it never really impacts me (and it�s my sole machine used heavily 8-10+ hours a day at home and work).
2) Backlit keyboard � impressive, but never really assists me. So I�d rather trade that expense for something like a built-in iSight or video-in ports.
3) Price � a reduction would be great, but not at the expense if implementing any of these features. If they keep up the features and design and implement a few new innovations without raising the price anymore, it�s reasonable.
bruddy

cyberprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2004, 12:39 PM

ESSENTIALS:
-dual core G5 processor
-high end specs on the lower screen sizes
-13" widescreen (ultraportable)
-5400 RPM HDD as a standard
-Superdrive with Dual Layer Support
-128MB Videocard as a standard
-Two Mouse buttons
PLUSES:
-Infrared port
-Built in i-sight would be great (just like the new Vaio)
-Tv tuner/capture card

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 03:22 PM

you know what would be cool, is if they took the current powerbook and made it into a tablet except instead of a rotating screen they just left the hinge as is and made the screen visible from both sides with a button to reverse the ui so it looked right on one of the screens. the outer facing side would have a touch area and a hard plastic cover that couldn't be removed. I would protect the precious lcd and you could still see the screen and touch it. it would have tablet like features without having a stupid rotating hinge.

arjay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2004, 08:56 AM

I love the 12" form factor, but I want:

A smaller version of the same screen as what's in the 15"

A card reader slot which accepts PCMCIA, CF, SD, Xd cards

A 2-button mouse with scroll wheel

Either a flat bottom, or a contoured platform to set it on so that it doesn't wobble when I am typing(just kidding here)

Special heat-dissipating thigh pad (not kidding here)

Windows XP and Virtual PC bundled with the PB so that we can have something to laugh at

A 3 year warranty like IBM has for their premium models (isn't the PB considered a premium model?)

Expanded wireless range...I know, aluminum and all, but my PDA has twice the range of my PB

I like the superdrive, but, would like it to be swappable with another hard drive for example

At least two FW800 ports

Would I buy another PB if they don't make these improvements? Yep, but not for at least two years. But if they include the above, even if they didn't include the thighpad, I'd buy one today!

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 03:40 AM

I would hope that Apple jumps on the bandwagon with the WXGA screens like on the Sony Vaio. I borrowed a Sony Vaio 15.4" 3.06Ghz notebook for a couple of weeks and all I have to say is that it's screen eats up the Apple Powerbooks for lunch. The screen is way brighter and the glossy screen makes the pictures have a more fluid look.
Other than that Windows XP SP2 doesn't get me very excited so the Vaio is just another typical Windows PC. It's just ho hum and nothing very special so I don't want much more from the Mac Powerbooks other than a slamming speed and cache increase.

FYI I have compared the 3.06Ghz Notebook against my 17"Powerbook 1.33Ghz. Although in iTunes the Vaio encoded (ripped) a song off my CD at 13x and the Powerbook ripped the same song at 10x they both were exactly the same at Photoshop tasks and opening and closing the same apps were the same.
The Vaio notebook blows out a ton of hot air the first few seconds of just plain surfing the web. The P4 processor just gets way too hot too fast.
Don't be too harsh on the Powerbooks aluminum getting hot. I think it maintains it's cool pretty well for a fast notebook.
( Last edited by hldan; Nov 28, 2004 at 03:55 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

arjay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 10:57 AM

I agree Hidan...if I could only change one thing, it'd be the screen. Although you do get used to it, I can still remember my first impression was not very good at all compared to my UXGA Thinkpad screen. The Sony screen sounds awsome. I haven't seen one, but I get the idea. Are you listening Apple?

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 11:45 AM

� return to black plastics - yes! like the pismo line, they were just so durable. they were thicker, but not overly so.

� PCMCIA slot on the 12 inch

gioele
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by molala:
� PCMCIA slot on the 12 inch
What would be the use of PCMCIA/PCCard in 2005 where all the external devices are USB or FireWire based?

Scooterboy
Senior User
Nov 28, 2004, 05:16 PM

As a 17" owner the following pertains only to 17":

G5 of course

Industry leading video card w/ option of max ram (currently Radeon 9800 w/ 256 MB) - put the PB ahead of gaming PC laptops. How about an upgradeable video card?

Higher screen resolution so individual pixels are less visible - a Dell user remarked how the pixels on my PB were too large. I moved up from a 12" iBook and I agree. Will Tiger be resolution independent?

Longer battery life

Quieter fans

Dual layer capable SuperDrive

I love the design and weight is not excessive for me
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 08:28 PM

I'd just like to have it out now!

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by gioele:
What would be the use of PCMCIA/PCCard in 2005 where all the external devices are USB or FireWire based?
There a lot of reasons for having the PC card slot in any notebook. Many people are signing up with SprintPCS or Verizon to use their Aircards for wireless internet everywhere they go. It's easier to use a PC card slot to extend functionality of your notebook such as extra firewire and usb ports. Using adapters to extend functionality just adds more bulky cables.
I don't know why Apple omits this feature on the 12" Powerbooks and the iBooks.
I use the Merlin Aircard on my 17" Powerbook and it's very cool.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 03:43 AM

I can't understand how people demand PCMCIA slots as long as the PowerBook doesn't have disk or battery bays. IMHO if you want internal expansion capabilities, bays are far more important than an underpowered and antiquated PCMCIA slot. Just my 2 cents.
•

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 09:47 AM

true but they would be thicker if they had expansion

Filburt
Nov 30, 2004, 07:41 PM

In addition to existing features...

Processor and Memory:
- Mobile G5 or dual-core G4 with appropriate clock speed, L2, and FSB
- 3 SO-DIMM slots on 17"

Storage:
- SATA 2.5" hard disk with NCQ
- 5400 rpm hard disk across all models (with 7200 rpm BTO)
- Dual-layer DVD-RW

Communication:
- Bluetooth 1.2
- Gigabit Ethernet across all models

Expansion:
- External SATA connector
- Firewire 800 across all models
- ExpressCard slot across all models (if possible)
- Optional docking station

Display:
- 13.3" WXGA (1280x768) TFT LCD
- 15.4" WXGA or 15.4" WSXGA (1680x1050) TFT LCDs
- 17" WSXGA or WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT LCDs
- XBRIGHT BTO
- Better latching for display

Video and graphics support:
- PCI Express GPU (e.g., ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 and X800)
- Standard 64 MB video memory on WXGA LCDs (128 MB BTO)
- Standard 128 MB video memory on WSXGA and WUXGA LCDs (256 MB BTO if possible)

Audio:
- Optical digital audio output

Battery and power:
- Longer battery life
- Higher capacity battery optional/BTO

Keyboard and trackpad:
- Backlight keyboard across all models
- Dedicated scrollwheel area on trackpad

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 09:40 PM

Some people seem to have given up on reality and gone with "what I'd design if I had magic powers." (e.g. dual screens, tablet, fuel cells, etc.)

Realistically:

---In the next revision (i.e. announced at MWSF or so)---
graphics card bump
speed bump
maybe bus bump
maybe HD capacity bump
maybe price drop

+ outside chance of a chip-type bump to dual core G4 or whatever it is that's out there, but NOT a G5
--------------------------

---In the "next" redesigned model (probably not before 6/05 or 1/06)---
new chip (G5 or G4 on steroids or similar)
new casing (hopefully black carbon-fiber (which means better airport reception), better latch, no paint-flaking/chipping problems)
higher screen resolutions/new screen dimensions (widescreen 12" here)
bumps of all the other stuff mentioned

+ (unlikely but possible)
bays, (much) bigger batteries, built-in iSight, two-button mouse/trackpad (though this one I almost put in the next category given apple's history)
--------------------------

---Pipedreams/whahunh?---
dual screens
dual audio out miniplugs
tablet
-------------------------
cpac

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by SierraDragon:
Posts in this thread clearly indicate the need for broadening the PB line. Some folks need battery life and portability most. Some want coolness at all costs. Others - e.g. anyone like me who does professional graphics and images - need far more throughput than is available from existing G4 PBs.
You've got to be kidding.

We don't need more PB models - we just need a bump in the upper end of the line to something respectibly above its consumer counterparts.

Apple's not going to do the super-huge, but powerful desktop-replacement thing any more than what's already in a 17" - you can go buy a G5 iMac for that.

Similarly, they're not going to do the ultra-portable thing either: the 12" powerbook is already very small and light - it might get incrementally lighter/smaller, but for a major change they'd have to kill a full size keyboard and ditch the optical drive (which means they'd have to create an external one to ship with it - just not something I see the Apple doing these days (despite what they did with the 2400c)

Apple's doing a pretty good job overall - we just need them to bump the specs of the top of the line some...
cpac

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 11:45 PM

While I like the Aluminum and they have held up with my family well, going to an engineering grade plastic may be a good thing, although fans would get more of a work out as plastics dont do much to dissipate heat. Carbon fiber would be cool, but cost an arm and a leg.

I'd like better screens. May not use the increased resolution at all times, but in ceratin situations it would com ein handy.

Better battery life. 2, maybe 3 hours on my 15" is not good. Get it up to the claimed 5 and things would be good.

Faster processor and FSB but this would be in most cases a detriment to battery life.

More memory slots.

Faster and larger hard drives.

Hot swappable batteries.

Swappable bays. I dont always need an optical drive, but sometimes a second battery could be useful. When traveling I'd much rather rip a few DVD's to hard drive and take a set of batteries than the drive.

Removable hard drives.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2004, 01:05 AM

faster cpu g5 duel core.
1.8 inch hd at 5200 at 60 gig ata or 80 gig at 7200 sata
faster fsb multi threading
oled screen.
removiabl optical drive/battery so u can have the option of 2 batterys or 1 battery and a optical drive or a nother hd it all up to the user. 8x graphics or pcix or what ever the next gen of graphcis is 802.11n optical in and optical out. Thinner?!? ddr2 at 400+mhz with ecc memory.
10.4.5 built in repeater?
( Last edited by yoyoman; Dec 1, 2004 at 01:10 AM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 01:38 AM

When I referenced "broadening the line" I primarily do mean bumping the high end. A lot. Right now the fastest PBs are... not fast. At least not for folks doing pro graphics work. I suspect that quite a few people like me would happily tolerate added weight & size to achieve real performance. I have considered the G5 iMac, but it is not really a pro box (the GPU is marginal, CPUs are relatively low speed, and 2 RAM slots in a desktop box is unacceptable) and is not made for transportability.

Regarding "What would be the use of PCMCIA/PCCard in 2005 where all the external devices are USB or FireWire based?" the simple answer is that PC Cards are reliable, fast throughput and easy access for things like reading digital camera storage media. Camera-to-cable-to-computer is a poor workflow; slow and frequently flaky. CF card in a US$12 adapter in a PC Card slot is fast, bombproof, and takes zero space and zero storage. I would not buy a PB at any price that lacked a PC Card slot.
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Dec 1, 2004 at 01:44 AM. )

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2004, 06:51 PM

How about a touchscreen keyboard ala Nintendo DS? It would use a transreflective display on the top and bottom, and the battery would last 12 hours. Both screens would be an equally-sized 13" widescreen and you could play 2 DVDs at once (or 2 different angles of porn!). It would be made out of carbon fiber and have 3 DVIs, FW1200, USB 3.0, and Bluetooth 3 built-in. Also, when you get new email, you'll have the alert option for it to telepathically 'beam' the content directly to your brain, so you wouldn't have to check it visually - that's so lame.

It would also work on the developing wireless power specification and it would cure cancer.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
How about a touchscreen keyboard ala Nintendo DS? It would use a transreflective display on the top and bottom, and the battery would last 12 hours. Both screens would be an equally-sized 13" widescreen and you could play 2 DVDs at once (or 2 different angles of porn!). It would be made out of carbon fiber and have 3 DVIs, FW1200, USB 3.0, and Bluetooth 3 built-in. Also, when you get new email, you'll have the alert option for it to telepathically 'beam' the content directly to your brain, so you wouldn't have to check it visually - that's so lame.

It would also work on the developing wireless power specification and it would cure cancer.

well ... beaming spam into my brain at 4am in the morning might not be such a hot idea ... using it as an alarm clock would be great ... imagine being scared out of your sleep because you think you have "KOCK" ROT!

lol ... ahh .. it's turning green and falling off .. OMFG!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Michael1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2004, 08:07 AM

Black carbon fiber body.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by TAZ:

Hot swappable batteries.

Swappable bays. I dont always need an optical drive, but sometimes a second battery could be useful. When traveling I'd much rather rip a few DVD's to hard drive and take a set of batteries than the drive.
Just my thoughts - why is it not possible to leave your dvd-drive at home, and have another battery in that drive-bay ?
My Dell does this - and thats the only thing I like about that machine.

Hopefully Apple have made this, by the time i have enough $ to buy a PowerBook...

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 09:17 PM

i want a mini-projector. forget having a lcd screen.. just have a tiny projector and maybe a little white screen that folds out.

then you can reduce size and have the screen be as big as you want. you want it bigger you just move the machine further from the wall.

i read somewhere maybe in mit technology review, that these are on the way. Apple should definitely be the first to put this into a machine. it might not be for everyone, but it would totally rock.

oh yeah another thing: a projectable keyboard. There was an isreali company working on this. it uses lasers to project the image of a keyboard onto a table (yes it does this very sneakily), and then detects what key you're pressing.

projection keybards

Oh yeah and instead of pcmia and docks, what htey need to bring back is the good ole floppy drive. And i could stand backwards compatibility with my IIgs, so i can play karateka again. so maybe u can make it do 5&1/4 inch floppies.
( Last edited by freakboy2; Dec 5, 2004 at 09:24 PM. )

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 12:58 AM

Get a damn usb floppy drive.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2004, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
Get a damn usb floppy drive.
oh yeah sorry. i was joking about the floppy drives.

floppy disks are for losers. Get a USB key.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 10:15 AM

You guys realize that these things are called 'laptops' for a reason? Honestly, some of you sound like you want a built in Space Shuttle on ever new Powerbook. Sure, some areas of improvement would be nice. Like those better screen that the Sony Vio has. Honestly, I'm super happy with my 12in. I mean, how much more can one ask from an Apple Laptop? Built in wireless, built in Bluetooth, a combo drive, a nice screen, and a 4 hour battery life.

Try finding a good laptop (from a respectable brand) at the same price as an iBook. Its tough.

So I guess I'm saying 'don't be greedy.' If Apple could put a G5 in a laptop without it sucking, they would (if IBM could actually produce chips fast enough). Plus, these are laptops which must be designed for portability and durability. Thus, I do like the idea of having a carbon fiber body, though the metal body does make it look very nice and professional.

Anyhow, you can't really complain too much about Apple's laptops. They have a wide spread of power and choices across the line, without over-saturating the product line. Remember what happened with the Cube? It only met the needs of a small number of people. Is it economical for Apple to make product that will have minimal sales? Nah. Though those Cubes were sexy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules