Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Transformer fans unite!

Transformer fans unite!
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2011, 01:34 AM

Lets get a new Megatron in this world by by liking this page

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 01:08 AM

awesome
we don't have time to stop for gas

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 05:45 AM

Ron for short.

BTW, I will lay down my money now that Dark of the Moon will be a good movie. At the very least, the 3D aspect means Bay had to stop crowding the camera, so we'll actually see what's going on this time.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Lets get a new Megatron in this world by by liking this page
I've seen this before. $10 says they won't name their kid Megatron after they reach 1 million "likes."

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2011, 02:58 PM

Liked, and shared, and put on another forum.

"David" "Here miss"
"Graham" "I'm here miss"
"Joanne" "Yes miss"
"Megatron" "Here miss"

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2011, 05:19 PM

meh. Viral marketing?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2011, 04:43 AM

I don't Facebook, but in the UK, Megatron would turn out to be :

Megatwat
Megaprat
Megadick
Megashit
etc etc.

at school.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post

Megatwat
Megaprat
Megadick
Megashit
etc etc.

at school.
There are far worse nicknames than Megadick.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post

Megatwat
Megaprat
Megadick
Megashit
etc etc.

at school.
The same would be true in the US.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I've seen this before. $10 says they won't name their kid Megatron after they reach 1 million "likes."
It's unreal the number of photo links to "hook up sites" that are on that page. I reported one photo because the girl looked underage. Come to think of it a lot of them look underage.
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2011, 07:33 PM

Walked out of Transformers because the cameras cut out for the second time. The audio kept going, so we got to hear Optimus fight Shockwave, but we couldn't see it. Then we get to see the ridiculous scene of Sam swinging off Starscream like Tarzan (which only brought back the pain of Shia swinging on vines in Indy 4), then the video cut out again.

But that's ok, because it was an insufferable mix of boredom and confusion. I kid you not: it's even worse that Revenge of the Fallen.

Sam was an ok character in the first one, but in this, he whines about everything. He whines about his lack of job, he whines about his new crappy job, he whines that the gov't won't hire him for his obvious talents which we are unaware off. He whines that his girlfriend is too friendly with her boss, that her boss gives her a company car, he whines about his parents, that his parents will be disappointed that he's still looking for a job, which turns out to be right on the money, because dad is in fact disappointed in his POTUS medal-earning spawnling can't find a job. I guess whining is genetic.

Sam even whines that Bumblebee never comes to visit. Why does Bumblebee never visit, you ask? We have no idea, because the Decepticons have gone into hiding, so the Autobots keep busy by working for the American military, achieving US policy goals around the world. I kid you not: we get to see Autobots firing on human beings. Of course, the US rewards this behaviour by later exiling the Autobots from earth. This is either a nod to a similar event in the G1 cartoon, or yet another attempt by Bay to make Obama look like a jackass. So for some reason, Bumblebee spent most of the war with the Deceptions hiding in Sam's shed, but now that they're all gone he can drive all over Earth shooting at humans and avoiding his whiny human buddy.

So the Decepticons have some humans working for them. The main human villain provides, I kid you not, accounting services. His creative accounting practices have kept humanity from returning to the moon by making it financially unviable. Wow, those 'Cons are so clever. Now I'm gonna go vomit.

The movie suffers from the same incompetent editing of the other films. For instance, we see Bumblebee save Sam and Lennox, then the very next time we see Bumblebee, he's under arrest by Shockwave. No, we have no idea how this happens. But yes, the Autobots gleefully rip Decepticons limb from limb, and Optimus brags about planning to "kill them all," but it's the Decepticons who honourably take prisoners. Until the main human villain orders Soundwave to kill them all. And that's not the only time the genius accountant orders Soundwave around like a cleaning lady, either.

Remember when Optimus refused to share Transformer tech with humans? Yeah, they hand it over like candy in this movie.

Why are the Decepticons piloting ships instead of transforming into them? I don't mean the big ones, but little aircraft? Oh that's right, so the good guys can steal them and fly into the otherwise impenetrable Decepticon fortress of Chicago. Apparently, the Decepticons can secure an entire city just by raising the bridges.

There is some good CGI. The first time we see Megatron and Optimus transform, it looks amazing. Lazerbeak is a pretty good character.

I didn't get to see Optimus fight Shockwave, and I didn't see anything after the space bridge is activated, so I missed a lot. (But I was already spoiled, so I know what I missed.) But I did see endlessly boring army shots, a building take about 10 mins to fall over, long and lascivious shots of the new girl's legs and ass, and Sam whining for the first half of the movie. Eat your heart out, Anakin.

So is there any chance that Bay will bow out and new director who can tell a story will take over?

I kid you not: save your money.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jun 30, 2011 at 08:11 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2011, 10:23 AM

Transformers: Dark of the Moon is equal parts terrible and weird (Light spoilers)

I liked this review and this part in particular...

The new love interest is played by Rosie Huntington-Whitely, who performs well enough for someone who might literally have been picked out of a Victoria's Secret catalog. The first shot of her in the film doesn't involve pants, and in every subsequent shot of her Michael Bay seems to use his camera like a tongue. She stands around, looking slim and beautiful among the action scenes, and that's the extent of her character. At one point the camera just stares at her during a scene while things explode behind her, and she looks at nothing with her big, dewy eyes.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2011, 10:31 AM

I feel like only a masochist would go see this after "I am directly below the enemy scrotum."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2011, 11:17 AM

You said "I kid you not" an awful lot, and I kid you not.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2011, 11:29 AM

I plan on renting it.

I will admit that the second movie was so unbelievably terrible that I did enjoy it quite a bit. Just not in the correct way. I sat in a sort of stunned disbelieving stupor the entire time. Struggling to understand how a team of thousands of talented people and hundreds of millions of dollars created what I was watching. I was having a hard time wrapping my brain around how at some point someone actually "wrote" what was happening and other people agreed that it was a good idea. Smart successful people thought the script to Transformers 2 was worth putting on the screen. And they assumed (correctly?) that we, the audience, were so unbelievably stupid that we would find it an acceptable story. I mean, the thing was like 3 hours long for **** sake. And only about 40 minutes of that was robots punching other. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?
( Last edited by ort888; Jul 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2011, 09:08 PM

Michael Bay remains one of my favourite directors.

The Rock

Bad Boys

The Island

even his "bad" movies like Transformers 2 are ridiculously enjoyable because of how explosive and action packed they are. in a single scene you know you are watching a Bay movie, he is the best director in the business at pure adrenaline packed movies.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2011, 03:08 AM

"even his "bad" movies like Transformers 2 are ridiculously enjoyable because of how explosive and action packed they are. in a single scene you know you are watching a Bay movie, he is the best director in the business at pure adrenaline packed movies. "

I have to agree with you on this part, I kid you not.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2011, 04:02 PM

Can't agree. The adrenaline-sparking scenes in Transformers are the work of animators, not Bay, who's only really responsible for directing the actors. The human action sequences are dull.

Go watch a scene like the fight between Bumblebee and Barricade, while Sam is running from Frenzy. The first part is interesting, the other part is filler. Pretty much the only convincing human/robot bit in all three movies is Lennox killing the helicopter robot. A similar thing happens in DotM: Sam fights Starscream, which is just as dull Sam vs Frenzy. I was excited and amazed for a split-second when Sam leaps onto Starscream's neck, but then it goes off track with Sam and Lennox swinging around in something that's neither funny or scary.

Or go watch a comparable movie like Jurassic Park. It really looks like the humans are gonna get stomped on or eaten by the huge dinosaurs, while in Transformers, the humans don't look like they're really in danger at all.

We watched a building fall over for ten minutes, but Optimus killing Bonecrusher took about 30 seconds. I could watch the animated sequence over and over again for ten minutes without being bored, but that falling building filled with screaming humans was putting me to sleep, like almost all the human action segments. It's not because I'm unhappy there's too much human action and not enough robot action (a separate issue which bothers some people but not me), but because the human action sequences are so dull.

Everything good about the TF movies was because of the animators, and everything bad is because of Bay. He made some good choices here and there, yeah, but they are overwhelmed by terrible choices.

Revenge of the Fallen was a terrible movie with a decent structure. It opens with a bang (fighting Demolisher), has the great forest battle in the middle, and then ends with an ok but dragged-out end battle; sandwiched between those sequences are bad comedy and dull story. In Dark of the Moon, nothing interesting at all happens until the last third of the film, of which I only saw a few bits. But the action sequences I did see were lousy. The opening fight between Shockwave and Optimus is complete crap compared to the fight with Demolisher. I'd like to see the closing battle sequences, but I'm not gonna sit thru 90 minutes of boredom again to get there.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2011, 05:44 PM

Not seen the third one yet but the first two suck balls compared to the attack on Autobot City and and the fight between Prime and Megatron in the original movie. A bit more Stan Bush wouldn't go amiss either.

I have to say I'm not a massive fan of some of the creative decisions that were made when they redesigned the transformers for the first bay movie. They are too shiny for one.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2011, 06:47 PM

Is this thread about the film or the facebook page now?

Anyway, there's a few scenes in TF3 that you may have seen before...

YouTube - ‪Transformers 3 scene from The Island‬‏

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2011, 07:56 PM

he did that with Transformers 2 and Pearl Harbor. (the aircraft carrier scene)

it isn't that big a deal.

the more interesting thing is how much of Transformers is financed by product placement (Bay has the most product placements of all directors)

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Is this thread about the film or the facebook page now?
Both

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2011, 04:43 PM

Also the transformations in the new films are a little over the top. The first time Optimus Prime transforms in the first Bay movie he turns inside out about 15 times.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Also the transformations in the new films are a little over the top. The first time Optimus Prime transforms in the first Bay movie he turns inside out about 15 times.
Some of the new toys are just as bad. Seriously, go to YouTube and search for Leader class Optimus Prime Revenge of the Fallen toy review. It takes about 10 mins to swap from truck to robot. Though it does look awesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules