Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Post your MacBook C2D temps

Post your MacBook C2D temps
jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 01:45 PM

I just got my new MacBook Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz a couple days ago and noticed that this baby runs hot. I'm assuming it's due to the excess glob of thermal compound that's probably inside my machine, but I wanted to check to see if my MacBook is the exception or the rule.

lowest idle temps:
55� C

right now (just web browsing):
67� C

fans kick on:
80� C

highest I've seen:
83� C

Keep in mind that this is in a 21� C room. In the same room, my iMac's 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo never got above 55� C, so you can understand why I am a little concerned. Also, has anyone had any success with getting a cooler machine by complaining to Apple about this?

acoustix
Nov 13, 2006, 02:23 PM

MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 07:26 PM

Just hanging out, been browsing the web for about 20 minutes after waking from sleep, and i'm at 38 degrees C. I believe 65 is the highest I've seen, and that was with iTunes and iPhoto open as well as surfing. I don't know how to use all the extra resources as compared to my iBook.

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by m_young View Post
Just hanging out, been browsing the web for about 20 minutes after waking from sleep, and i'm at 38 degrees C. I believe 65 is the highest I've seen, and that was with iTunes and iPhoto open as well as surfing. I don't know how to use all the extra resources as compared to my iBook.
Man, that's how I think the temps should be. Are you using any Fan Controlling software or is that stock? I know I can lower my temps by upping the fan speeds, but that more or less solves the symptoms of the problem and not the problem myself. I wonder how high your temps have to be to get Apple to recognize them as problematic.

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
Man, that's how I think the temps should be. Are you using any Fan Controlling software or is that stock? I know I can lower my temps by upping the fan speeds, but that more or less solves the symptoms of the problem and not the problem myself. I wonder how high your temps have to be to get Apple to recognize them as problematic.
It's bone stock. I have smcfancontrol, but I haven't had a reason to use it other than to try it out. I will say that it got pretty hot when I was transferring files from the iBook the other night, and the fans were going crazy, and I obviously have no idea how hot since it was the initial boot. But certainly no problems since then. 35 degrees right now.

Hopefully Apple will recognize yours as a problem, seeing as how that's seemingly excessive.

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 11:27 AM

To anyone else interested in solving their heat problems:

I was compiling software last night and the temp got to 85 degrees C. I called Apple and the representative I talked to looked up the serial number and told me the normal temps the machine should be operating in were 20 degrees C cooler than what I was reporting. Basically my machine is 20 degrees C hotter than it should be.

So, I'm taking it to the Apple Store with hopes of getting it fixed. This probably mean I will lose my machine for a while. Better fix it now than during finals I guess.

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 02:09 PM

Thats ridiculous for a week old machine. Just stupid, to have to lose it for an indefinite period of time. Send me a new one, thank you very much.

mini.boss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 02:56 PM

From what I understand then the Macbook Pro C2D's had a significant temp decrease, but apparently the Macbook C2D's are just as hot if not hotter. So what exactly did they do to improve the MBP design but not do for the MB?

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 04:38 PM

Mine could be a special case, but I doubt it. This is probably due to the excess thermal compound syndrome. I want to just open it up myself and reapply it, but I'm scared of voiding my warranty. I'll make sure to cause a fuss and maybe they'll replace my MacBook, but probably not.

Janmansilver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2006, 06:10 AM

My C2D MacBook is about 55 C when browsing and listening to music and it then hits 60-70 C when working in Logic. I haven't put the machine to "render" something in an extended period, so I can't tell you yet how hot it gets when its under "max-load".

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2006, 07:37 PM

I've got a new high, since I last posted. When loading the processor (parallels, handbrake, etc) I've hit 79 C.

Forum Links
Forum Rules