Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Aw crap... RSS...

Aw crap... RSS...
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Nov 15, 2006, 04:59 PM

So I was using my 'Book on my lap after class for about 20 minutes, then I shut it down to go to my next class. I waited for the screen to go black, then closed it, put it in my sleeve then in my backpack. About 10 minutes later I pulled it out of my backpack and sleeve, and the fan was going full blast, and I could not turn it on. Eventually the fan stopped, and about 10 minutes after that it did not want to turn on, so I tried taking the battery out and putting it back in. It turned on after that, and started up okay, until I got this message:

One other thing I noticed was even though it was shut down, after it started up finally, my batery was about 8-10% lower than before (probably because of the fan).

Anyone have some suggestions as to what happened? Should I get it repaired?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

kick52
Baninated
Nov 15, 2006, 07:49 PM

that means there was some kind of Kernel Panic. the most likely thing that happened there is that it got overheated somehow.

if you can find the panic logs, post them here.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Nov 15, 2006, 11:11 PM

Where can I find the logs?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 11:46 PM

I also had a kernal panic when I was using that desktop picture, nice pic though.

You can find the logs if you open Console.app (Applications/Utilities).

acoustix
Nov 16, 2006, 12:40 AM

That's not RSS...one way that can happen is if you close the lid too soon after shutting down. The latest EFI Firmware update is supposed to "address problems with wake and sleep functions"... There is a thread on this site about people's experiences with it. I have not downloaded it, or the RSS "fix" either.
"Let's work the problem, gentlemen; let's not make things worse by guessing....
Ed Harris, "Apollo 13"
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2006, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
I also had a kernal panic when I was using that desktop picture, nice pic though.

You can find the logs if you open Console.app (Applications/Utilities).
It's a cursed d.top!

Originally Posted by acoustix View Post
That's not RSS...one way that can happen is if you close the lid too soon after shutting down. The latest EFI Firmware update is supposed to "address problems with wake and sleep functions"... There is a thread on this site about people's experiences with it. I have not downloaded it, or the RSS "fix" either.
"Let's work the problem, gentlemen; let's not make things worse by guessing....
Ed Harris, "Apollo 13"
Thanks that's good to know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules