Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > is applecare worth getting?

is applecare worth getting?
Dazed
Oct 30, 2006, 03:17 AM

hi guys, wasnt sure where to post this question so since im getting a macbook pro, this seemed as good a place as any

Im trying to decide if its worthing getting the applecare. Im in Canada so as anyone got any experience with the service up here ?

Thanks

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2006, 04:48 AM

GET IT. You don't have to get it right away. You have a year from the purchase date to get it, but do get it. It's a laptop and more prone to problems. It will be worth it should you have any problems in the future.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2006, 04:58 AM

You should also consider other comapnies like Safeware, which covers more than AppleCare....including theft and accidental damage. I have not used them, but I am checking them out as we speak and may get it as a backup to AppleCare once I plunk down $2500 on a new mbp
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

TiDual
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2006, 05:00 AM

Seconded ... especially for the MacBook Pro, you really want Applecare. For a bottom-end MacBook, it might (arguably) not be worth it.

ctsport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 05:01 PM

definately get applecare for portables

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 05:09 PM

I'm waiting a few months and seeing what issues arise. If there are lots of issues then ill consider it.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2006, 11:09 AM

Depends on the laptop. I got it for my TiBook because I knew they were problematic. Mine experienced all the regular TiBook problems: dead keyboard, broken hinges, cracked bezel (damn plastic - there are hairline cracks developing again) so AppleCare came in handy. MBPs are better laptops but I'd get it again anyway I think.

jamito
Nov 3, 2006, 12:48 PM

I would suggest getting it. My hard drive failed on my powerbook 13 months after I bought it. Applecare took care of it, no questions asked. Even if your machine is running perfectly after 3-4 months, or 11 months, you never know what is going to happen the day after your 1 year runs out.

One other thing: If you bought your mbp with a credit card, check to see if they offer an extend warranty on items you buy with it. I know that mine do, so that is an extra year added. If that is the case, then it's an even tougher decision, since applecare is just one year more than what you already have.
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl View Post
You should also consider other comapnies like Safeware, which covers more than AppleCare....including theft and accidental damage. I have not used them, but I am checking them out as we speak and may get it as a backup to AppleCare once I plunk down $2500 on a new mbp

Safeware is a must. If your laptop has a small ding or warpage from lifting by 1 corner Applecare won't cover it! Take it in to Genuis bar and it is amusing to watch the Genuis put it on desk to see if light is seen under a corner or it rocks. It reminds me of the ballot inspector looking for hanging chads in 2000 election! I have seen many Applecare repairs denied for "misuse". IT IS A PORTABLE, IT SHOULD ACCEPT SOME USE!

Safeware covers almost everything with no deductable.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by jamito View Post
...My hard drive failed on my powerbook 13 months after I bought it. Applecare took care of it...
Perfect example of one of many reasons why AppleCare is a waste of money.

Apple had your $349 for 13 months and replaced your HD with 13-month-old-technology. You could have been using your $349 for that 13 months and replaced that old hard drive with a newer larger faster hard drive for about $250 or less.

Most warranty issues either occur during the first FREE 12 months or turn out to be covered by some kind of recall. The non-recall issues that occur during months 13-36, while non-zero, are rare enought that it is way better to not give Apple your $349 to hold so they can give you some old hardware in the event of failure.

The only real benefit of AppleCare is for the telephone support for those folks that need it. Note that neither physical nor externally caused electrical damage is covered.

-Allen Wicks

Dazed  (op)
Nov 5, 2006, 03:52 AM

Im in canada so note sure if safeware covers us north of the border. I may get the applecare, just incase.

Out of curiosity what is apples dead pixel policy ? i'd hate to have to suffer those on my nice shiny new toy.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
... I may get the applecare, just incase...
Just in case? IMO it is simple probability. 1 in 100 (1000?) chance of more than $349 repair in years 2 & 3 of ownership no way justifys $349 up front payment. Folks considering AppleCare really must consider the probabilities. $349 is a lot of money.

...Out of curiosity what is apples dead pixel policy ? i'd hate to have to suffer those on my nice shiny new toy.
I believe Apple has a 4-dead-pixels-is-acceptable policy, but If you do not specially configure your order Apple has a 14 day no questions asked return policy, so you can send a box with one dead pixel back. However do not rely on the Forum, ask Apple prepurchase. It is really easy, just ask.

-Allen Wicks

Semstudent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2006, 07:19 AM

I didn't have to use the AppleCare on my Powerbook for the first year and a half, but I've since used it THREE times on that machine. No question about buying it for my new MBP C2D. I highly recommend it.
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo, 15.4", 2.16gHz
eMac 1 gHz

Nov 5, 2006, 12:44 PM

Absolutely do get it.

Have had 6 PowerBooks. Two were replaced for free by Apple at the 2+ year mark outright with the latest version of PowerBook (including brand new MacBook Pro due to arrive) because of bad issues that arose well past the 1 year regular warranty expiration.

Also, if your screen goes out you do not want to pay to have that replaced. You'll be looking at $1000+ alone.

And you get a better level of care plus you get AppleCare tech support for software for 3 years instead of 3 months that you get with the 1 year regular warranty.

We have never not had AppleCare on every single Apple computer ever owned.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Semstudent View Post
I didn't have to use the AppleCare on my Powerbook for the first year and a half, but I've since used it THREE times on that machine. No question about buying it for my new MBP C2D. I highly recommend it.
There is no question that AppleCare turns out to be cost effective for a few individuals or that once in a while failures will occur in years 2 & 3, it is simply that the odds versus cost are ridiculous.

Think about it: most repairs in years 2 & 3 when they do (infrequently) occur cost much less than $349 anyway. Basically, buying Apple Care is a wager that the odds that you will lose either the motherboard or the display, or have multiple expensive failures during months 13-36 are less than 1 chance in 6. And the computer being repaired has already lost half its value by that time anyway, so in reality you pay $349 in advance to insure a box worth $1000 that can almost always be repaired with newer tech parts for $150-$300. IMO a nutso expenditure.

Some folks say because a laptop is used in the field it is more vulnerable and therefore AppleCare is more needed. But physical damage to the box is not covered anyway, and the kinds of things that might be field-damaged but still covered (mainly the hard drive) are cheaply replaceable with superior newer/faster parts for much less than the cost of AppleCare. E.g. I will probably replace the hard drive on my C2D MBP in 6-12 months just to get the substantial speed/capacity increase of 2007 drive technology.

Note that insurance does not insure your data, which for most folks is what is of most value. And Apple's policy is to wipe your hard drive when doing major repairs, with you responsible for pre-repair backup. Folks would do well to spend $349 on comprehensive multi-site backup routines rather than wasting it on AppleCare.

However for folks who need it the telephone support may be worth adding 15% or so to the initial cost of a MBP.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Nov 5, 2006 at 01:07 PM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 01:08 PM

get it.

i didnt have it on my pismo; had to replace the logic board 2nd year: $450.

had it on my 12" powerbook; replaced the hard drive year 2, no charge.
(and helped me sell it for better $, since it has 8 months left of applecare).

worth $175 a year (IMHO)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by  View Post
...And you get a better level of care plus you get AppleCare tech support for software for 3 years instead of 3 months that you get with the 1 year regular warranty.

We have never not had AppleCare on every single Apple computer ever owned.
I agree that AppleCare has value, and I have always said the telephone support is worthwhile for some folks.

When I buy a Mac Pro in January the value of the items covered will be ~$10,000. At year 2 when Applecare is relevant that setup will still be worth perhaps $7000. AppleCare for $249 insuring $7,000 worth of hardware, plus the added support, IMO is cost effective. I will pay that 3.5% of 2nd year value.

For laptops the math does not work. AppleCare's $349 cost on my MBP is more like 30% of second year value. A bad deal, except for folks who really need the additional telephone support.

-Allen Wicks

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I agree that AppleCare has value, and I have always said the telephone support is worthwhile for some folks.

When I buy a Mac Pro in January the value of the items covered will be ~$10,000. At year 2 when Applecare is relevant that setup will still be worth perhaps $7000. AppleCare for $249 insuring $7,000 worth of hardware, plus the added support, IMO is cost effective. I will pay that 3.5% of 2nd year value.

For laptops the math does not work. AppleCare's $349 cost on my MBP is more like 30% of second year value. A bad deal, except for folks who really need the additional telephone support.

-Allen Wicks

I agree because of depreciating value, or safeware insurance is a better bet

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 07:01 PM

Apple had your $349 for 13 months and replaced your HD with 13-month-old-technology. You could have been using your $349 for that 13 months and replaced that old hard drive with a newer larger faster hard drive for about $250 or less.
There is no question that AppleCare turns out to be cost effective for a few individuals or that once in a while failures will occur in years 2 & 3, it is simply that the odds versus cost are ridiculous.

Think about it: most repairs in years 2 & 3 when they do (infrequently) occur cost much less than $349 anyway. Basically, buying Apple Care is a wager that the odds that you will lose either the motherboard or the display, or have multiple expensive failures during months 13-36 are less than 1 chance in 6. And the computer being repaired has already lost half its value by that time anyway, so in reality you pay $349 in advance to insure a box worth $1000 that can almost always be repaired with newer tech parts for $150-$300. IMO a nutso expenditure.
While some of the parts in a Mac laptop are cheap (hard drive, optical drive, memory), the labor is not. You're looking at $200+ in labor from a reputable place to replace those $100 parts.

Also some of the failure prone parts are very expensive; logic boards and screens are upward of $700, and have both had their share of non-covered failures (memory slot failure, capacitor explosion, and firewire burnout come to mind).

AppleCare doesn't make sense for some people, but I think it makes sense for most people.

Also, for a student, AppleCare is only $183 (MacBook) or 239 (MacBook Pro).

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 07:49 PM

The problem is since it is a portable, more and more Apple is denying responsability due to mishandling! The fact that a laptop no longer sits flat, should not exempt a PB from Applecare, but most of the time it does!

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2006, 11:12 PM

I got it for my Power Mac Dual 2GHz, paid for itself with a new video card. I don't buy it for sub 1000$ computers. Figure it's worth the risk (Sell it on ebay for parts, get a new one). I got it and used it on an iMac G3, logic board replaced (worth it). Paid for itself with an old Pismo powerbook too.

It's three years coverage, and I generally plan on keeping the machine for 3 years. It's also handy when I've had problems (I had a USB card cause issues in my Dual G5, they helped me troubleshoot it successfully over the phone at 2.5 years).

YMMV obviously, but for anything over 1k, it's worth it in my book.

-Jason

jamito
Nov 5, 2006, 11:38 PM

Most warranty issues either occur during the first FREE 12 months or turn out to be covered by some kind of recall. The non-recall issues that occur during months 13-36, while non-zero, are rare enought that it is way better to not give Apple your $349 to hold so they can give you some old hardware in the event of failure.

The only real benefit of AppleCare is for the telephone support for those folks that need it. Note that neither physical nor externally caused electrical damage is covered.

-Allen Wicks
I paid ~$240 for applecare (student discount). You can find cheaper than 349 if you look online, ebay has great deals. Also, my laptop has white spots on the screen that I will be taking to the apple store to get replaced as soon as I can afford the down time. Granted, Apple has a plan to take care of it on some models, but my machine falls outside the serial number range. With applecare, there are no questions asked. So, for 240 I got a new hard drive and a screen. Well worth it in my opinion.
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

ONG
Nov 17, 2006, 03:23 AM

the thing that is really making me think twice about getting/paying for some form of extended warranty is that if u use your VISA u get an additional 1 yr warranty anyways so that's a total of 2 yrs of coverage... so when i plunk down that extra CDN $$$ for Applecare I'm paying full price for just ONE (the third) additional year. now THAT's really expensive.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 03:38 AM

To the OP...

Do not get it.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Subaru_Nation555
Nov 17, 2006, 11:00 AM

I purcahsed it for my PowerBook because I wanted to have that extra peace of mind. It's that kind of situaton where you get it and have very few problems and if you don't then you wish you did. I've also used my PowerBooks Applecare for phone support for my Dads G5 as well as my AirPort Express so it has come in handy.

I had no idea about the possible credit card warranty, that's pretty cool.
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

ONG
Nov 17, 2006, 01:33 PM

jmakkar,

so basically Amex would provide the 4th year of Applecare? hmmm.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 05:26 PM

hi guys, wasnt sure where to post this question so since im getting a macbook pro, this seemed as good a place as any

Im trying to decide if its worthing getting the applecare. Im in Canada so as anyone got any experience with the service up here ?

Thanks

It's very simple. If you're computer breaks, it was worth getting. If you're computer never breaks, it was a waste of money.

ONG
Nov 17, 2006, 09:15 PM

ha3. yes i guess that's correct.

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 09:46 PM

Take it from one who learned the hard way--NEVER buy a computer without buying an extended warranty. I have a dead Dell on my hands that lived a year and a week. Dell told me I'd have to cough up $800 for a new motherboard if I wanted it fixed.

It's worth the extra couple of hundred bucks to have that peace of mind. If not, you wind up babying your computer and not using it for certain things for fear that overtaxing it might cause damage.

Insurance is a racket, yes, but what you're buying is peace of mind.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Film Prof View Post
Take it from one who learned the hard way--NEVER buy a computer without buying an extended warranty. I have a dead Dell on my hands that lived a year and a week. Dell told me I'd have to cough up $800 for a new motherboard if I wanted it fixed.

It's worth the extra couple of hundred bucks to have that peace of mind. If not, you wind up babying your computer and not using it for certain things for fear that overtaxing it might cause damage.

Insurance is a racket, yes, but what you're buying is peace of mind.

EVERYONE HAS INSURANCE! Only some people self insure the risk.

Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 01:43 PM

I bought applecare with my macbook pro but i didnt install it yet.

Is it effective from the day you install it or is it from the day you purchase it?
I'm asking that because i'd like to wait a few months before i install it so technically i'd get more than 3 years...

Mactivist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Berberman View Post
I bought applecare with my macbook pro but i didnt install it yet.

Is it effective from the day you install it or is it from the day you purchase it?
I'm asking that because i'd like to wait a few months before i install it so technically i'd get more than 3 years...
I believe it's from the date of purchase of the computer, that only makes sense.

We've always bought the AppleCare coverage (usually at student discount). However on my next Mac purchase I'll probably wait until just before year two to spend the money.

Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mactivist View Post
I believe it's from the date of purchase of the computer, that only makes sense.

can someone confirm?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 02:53 PM

Yes, AppleCare is worth getting

... but, only because computer hardware manufacturers have effectively convinced their customers to only expect one year's worth of quality. Only a few will still warranty their high end products for 3 years.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Berberman View Post
can someone confirm?
AppleCare adds two years onto the original 1 year warranty. With AppleCare, your warranty will expire 3 years after the date of purchase of the Apple product you intend to use it on. It doesn't matter when you purchase or activate the extended warranty (though, you must purchase it within the first year of purchase of the Apple product you intend to use it on.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2006, 06:14 PM

I am generally against all extended warranties because they are usually consumer rip-offs, particularly extended warranties covering cars and relatively inexpensive consumer electronics.

However, Apple has changed my mind when it comes to getting an extended warranty on its hardware...

As Apple's prices have gone down, so has the quality of its hardware. In The Good Old Days, Apple had a reputation for robust computers that rarely broke-down, Not so any more... I won't go into my own personal history of Apple products requiring repairs, but it is relatively long considering I am referring to just three Macs: a G3 iBook, G4 iBook and G5 iMac.

Suffice it to say that in the past month my 22 month old G4 iBook went back to Apple for a new drive covered by an extended AppleCare warrany, while the G5 is going in for a new logic board under the original warranty (it was purchased in February 2006.) Of course, since the iMac broke-down past the 90-day "free" tech support period, the guy at Apple would not speak with me about the G5 iMac problem until I ponied-up the $$$ for an extended warranty, or paid around $50 for the privilege of talking with him...

I didn't get AppleCare for the G3 and thankfully, most of the repairs were covered by the original warranty. Its drive died just short of three years old, and the cost of replacing it at a repair shop was a little less than the full-price of AppleCare, so I guess I came out ahead by about $20. If I had purchased AppleCare at a discount I would have really come out ahead...

So I have come to think that one would have to be an idiot to not get an extended AppleCare warranty for ANY Apple computer, and that one must figure-in the AppleCare cost when computing (no pun intended...) the true price of purchasing a Mac, just like you have to include the cost of adding more RAM to the insufficient amount of memory included with most Macs. Also take into consideration shipping charges for portable Macs when they need repairs. I have to hand it to Apple that they handle shipping both ways and the average turnaround time has been three days for sick iBooks.

On the bright side, AppleCare can be had at the equivalent of the educational discount price at the L.A. Computer Company; in the past couple of years I have not found a better retail price anywhere else...

I wish that Apple would use better components, improve its quality-control process, thoroughly test their designs before releasing them (Apple apparently borrowed its current business model from General Motors) and charge a couple hundred dollars more instead of the current system that pisses-off customers and makes owning at least TWO Macs a requirement for those of us dependent on a computer for work or other purposes.

These days when I recommend a Mac to a newbie or "switcher" I feel obligated to tell them that the OS screams and warn them that the hardware is... well, just be sure to get AppleCare!
( Last edited by Mojo; Nov 18, 2006 at 08:32 PM. )

wingdo
Senior User
Nov 18, 2006, 07:25 PM

I didn't get AC on my first powerbook (a 1400), or my second (a WallStreet) noron my PowerMac. I never once took any of those machines in for service either. My PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz) I got AC for and it has been in 3 times now (is actually away right now). I picked it up about 9 months into owning the PB as during the first 6 months I ended up getting the screen replaced. I have since had another screen replacement, a latch replacement, issues with the power port and a trackpad which is no longer tracking correctly. All have been replaced. Best $250 I have spent on it. I ordered AC with my C2DMBP as well.

It really is all a matter of taste. You have 364 days to decide.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by wingdo View Post
I didn't get AC on my first powerbook (a 1400), or my second (a WallStreet) noron my PowerMac. I never once took any of those machines in for service either. My PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz) I got AC for and it has been in 3 times now (is actually away right now). I picked it up about 9 months into owning the PB as during the first 6 months I ended up getting the screen replaced. I have since had another screen replacement, a latch replacement, issues with the power port and a trackpad which is no longer tracking correctly. All have been replaced. Best $250 I have spent on it. I ordered AC with my C2DMBP as well.

It really is all a matter of taste. You have 364 days to decide.
Sounds to me like the build quality has been declining.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2006, 11:14 PM

It really depends on much you value piece of mind. I didn't get it on my Intel iMac when they first came out. But no worries, because I haven't had any problems with it. However, I plan on buying a MacBook in the next month and will definitely opt for the AppleCare because of the numerous random shut down issues and logic board replacements. I'm getting AppleCare and I'm a certified AppleCare technician. I could do the repairs for free (technically, not actually), but I'd much rather have the piece of mind and do without the hassle of making my own repairs and trying to get an AASP to order replacement parts for me.

If you feel confident without it, don't get it. Chances are, your computer will be outdated before anything goes wrong. If you're skeptical, then get it. It's a hefty piece of mind, but your wallet will get over it.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

ONG
Nov 18, 2006, 11:18 PM

faster time to get to market... shorter time for testing. i'm not surprise especially since the laptops are being made in China. My strategy is going to be this. I will get the laptop and use my VISA... wait until the very last month before I buy AC. if during that 11 mons I'm getting issues w/ the C2D then I'm buying AC, if not i'll just use the regular one year warranty of Apple and the extended 2nd yr of Visa.

ONG
Nov 18, 2006, 11:20 PM

what's a reasonable price to pay for AC anyways?

stefa, you're an AC technician? you buying AC just makes no sense at all.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by ONG View Post
what's a reasonable price to pay for AC anyways?

stefa, you're an AC technician? you buying AC just makes no sense at all.
Yes I'm an AppleCare technician. It makes more sense then it would seem. I work at a PC repair shop. The plan was for them to expand into the Apple market, starting with me (the only Mac user there) getting my certification. However, that plan has failed, because I'm moving out of town to attend college. They won't become an AASP without me working for them, and I can't maintain a job and attend college at the same time.

I can diagnose and make repairs myself, without voiding the warranty. But I have no ties with Apple in the sense that I can't order replacement parts without being an AASP. Because of this, AppleCare makes perfect sense. Say 2 years down the road my logic board fails. I'll know what's wrong with it; I can even make the repairs. But what I can't do is order a new logic board. It would be like this:

Same scenario: your logic board has failed after 2 years with no extended warranty. You take it to me, your Apple Certified friend who isn't directly employed by Apple or an AASP. I can tell you what's wrong with your Mac. But even if I was employed by an AASP, I couldn't replace your logic board because it isn't covered by warranty.

I'm a guy upstream without a paddle. I can see what's wrong. But I can't do squat about it without that paddle.
( Last edited by stefanicotine; Nov 19, 2006 at 12:03 AM. )
 Certified AppleCare Technician

ONG
Nov 19, 2006, 07:14 PM

my bad. it does makes sense. knowledge w/o access to warranty replacement parts means nothing.
( Last edited by ONG; Nov 20, 2006 at 03:09 AM. )

Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 11:16 PM

I've used Apple Care on every computer I've ever owned. Replacing mobos, CRTs, GPUs, and 5 screens on my aluminum PB. In all cases, these things happened beyond the one-year warranty. The repairs on each computer, in my case, would have far exceeded the cost of AppleCare (especially the 5 screens).

It's insanity not to get it, even when considering resale value. Gamble if you want, but it's not worth the risk.
( Last edited by 11011001; Nov 21, 2006 at 01:09 AM. Reason: S to s)

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 11011001 View Post
I've used Apple Care on every computer I've ever owned. Replacing mobos, CRTS, GPUs, and 5 screens on my aluminum PB. In all cases, these things happened beyond the one-year warranty. The repairs on each computer, in my case, would have far exceeded the cost of AppleCare (especially the 5 screens).

It's insanity not to get it, even when considering resale value. Gamble if you want, but it's not worth the risk.
i agree 100%

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 04:37 AM

I've been getting AppleCare for the past six or so years on ever PowerBook I've owned. I've since come to the conclusion that:

A) I turn units around in less than two years
B) American Express covers the second year.
C) AppleCare adds almost no value to resell.

So, I don't get AppleCare anymore. My experience only, YMMV.

HeldUp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 06:22 PM

Consumer Reports has a saying: Never Buy An Extended Warranty!*

(*unless you buy a Mac)

'Nuff said. I just picked up my MBP 17" C2D on Friday and bought the extended warranty. Why? It's my first time with a Mac laptop. Plus, with the new Core 2 Duo, you never know what's going to happen.

Now, what's better: the glossy or matte finish?

ONG
Nov 21, 2006, 07:03 PM

is buying AppleCare from eBay a good idea? seems like u can get a better deal thru ebay.

what's inside the AC box anyways?

ONG
Nov 22, 2006, 07:08 PM

no one?

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 08:16 PM

How does that work? When I bought it, it was for that specific machine with that specific serial number, and when I had to return that MBP because of logic board problems, I had to go through a lot of hassle to switch the policy over to the replacement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules