Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Seti Enhanced - Transition issues

Seti Enhanced - Transition issues
Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 03:15 AM

As it says, this thread is to cover transitional issues arising out of the introduction of seti II or Seti Enhanced.

Threads to look at are:-

What is SETI@home Enhanced?

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_enhanced.php

Correct Way to Migrate to Seti@Home Enhanced

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...d=30472#296287

BOINC Manager

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_forum.php?id=1

Please post more if you know about them.

In the transition, seti has dropped support for the Menubar. I don't know if it will still be usable on other projects. I was useing it, with the G5-a5.2 and big wisdom, but found long periods of no work. I had to compleatly remove it, including the library/BOINCdata folder when I switched to BOINC Manager 5.4.9 beta, available from

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php?dev=1

This is very close to release, but the versions change frequently, so keep an eye on it if you use it.

The individual wu page on SAH also shows which version of Boinc you are useing.

When Rick and Alex release their new optimization for enhanced they will hopefully start a new thread for that.

Note that Credits are now calculated in a new way useing CPU cycles.

K.

jedimstr
May 8, 2006, 05:55 AM

Here's the app_info.xml I'm using to support both a53 and Seti Enhanced (official-non Optimized):
<app_info>
<app>
<name>setiathome</name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>seti@home-G4-a53</name>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>bigfft_wisdom</name>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>setiathome</app_name>
<version_num>418</version_num>
<file_ref>
<file_name>seti@home-G4-a53</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>bigfft_wisdom</file_name>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
<app>
<name>setiathome_enhanced</name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>setiathome-5.12.powerpc-apple-darwin</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name>
<version_num>512</version_num>
<file_ref>
<file_name>setiathome-5.12.powerpc-apple-darwin</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
</app_info>
Unlike in Windows and in Linux, I actually got executable errors when I just deleted the app_info.xml on the Mac (after shutting down and then restarting BOINC after file removal/backup of course). So in this case I let it grab the new Seti Enhanced worker and units, crunch a bit, then shut down Boinc again to add the above app_info.xml with the new Seti Enhanced entries. So far so good.
( Last edited by jedimstr; May 8, 2006 at 06:05 AM. )
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jedimstr
Here's the app_info.xml I'm using to support both a53 and Seti Enhanced (official-non Optimized):

Unlike in Windows and in Linux, I actually got executable errors when I just deleted the app_info.xml on the Mac (after shutting down and then restarting BOINC after file removal/backup of course). So in this case I let it grab the new Seti Enhanced worker and units, crunch a bit, then shut down Boinc again to add the above app_info.xml with the new Seti Enhanced entries. So far so good.
Thanks for this, but, isn't there always , I got the following result:-

Originally Posted by BOINC Manager 5.4.9

Mon 8 May 11:24:26 2006||Starting BOINC client version 5.4.9 for powerpc-apple-darwin
Mon 8 May 11:24:26 2006||libcurl/7.15.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7i zlib/1.2.3
Mon 8 May 11:24:26 2006||Data directory: /Library/Application Support/BOINC Data
Mon 8 May 11:24:26 2006|SETI@home|Found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform
Mon 8 May 11:24:26 2006|SETI@home|Unparsed line in app_info.xml: name>

<version_num>418</version_num>
<file_ref>
<file_name>seti@home-G4-a52</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>bigfft_wisdom</fil

Mon 8 May 11:24:26 2006||Processor: 4 Power Macintosh PowerMac11,2
Mon 8 May 11:24:26 2006||Memory: 2.00 GB physical, 0 bytes virtual
Mon 8 May 11:24:26 2006||Disk: 149.01 GB total, 123.63 GB free
I copied and pasted exactly as you posted and only changed the file refs from a53 to a52, which I was useing. I have no knowledge of xml code so no idea what happend. I did have a mix of new and old wu's in the projects folder.

Running a Quad with 2.5 gb ram Tiger + updates.

K.

jedimstr
May 8, 2006, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Knightrider
Thanks for this, but, isn't there always , I got the following result:-

I copied and pasted exactly as you posted and only changed the file refs from a53 to a52, which I was useing. I have no knowledge of xml code so no idea what happend. I did have a mix of new and old wu's in the projects folder.

Running a Quad with 2.5 gb ram Tiger + updates.

K.

I see a few problems:
1. The parsing error comes from incomplete xml tags (in this case missing the opening "<" for the name tag... and possibly everything before it). Make sure your app_info.xml is complete. If you grabbed the contents above and copied, make sure it actually has "<" and ">" around the tags.
2. If you're running on a quad, why are you running the G4-a52 version of the Altivec Optimized Seti worker? You should be using the G5-a52 or G5-a53 with the appropriate bigfft_wisdom file for the Quad. There's a Quad bigfft_wisdom file in the Altivec optimized app thread on page 15. If you ARE running the right version and have the bigfft_wisdom file, change the filenames in the app_info.xml to match.
( Last edited by jedimstr; May 8, 2006 at 07:21 AM. )

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 07:58 AM

I see a few problems:
1. The parsing error comes from incomplete xml tags (in this case missing the opening "<" for the name tag... and possibly everything before it). Make sure your app_info.xml is complete. If you grabbed the contents above and copied, make sure it actually has "<" and ">" around the tags.
Good point and it was compleat, thats why I got the error, as......

2. If you're running on a quad, why are you running the G4-a52 version of the Altivec Optimized Seti worker? You should be using the G5-a52 or G5-a53 with the appropriate bigfft_wisdom file for the Quad. There's a Quad bigfft_wisdom file in the Altivec optimized app thread on page 15. If you ARE running the right version and have the bigfft_wisdom file, change the filenames in the app_info.xml to match.

In the copy and paste I forgot to change G4 to G5. Hay ho, the wind and the rain.... After the change it ran without error but I lost a bunch of wu's as it would only see them as errors, so I will rest it for the moment.

Thanks anyway.

K.

jedimstr
May 8, 2006, 08:37 AM

In the copy and paste I forgot to change G4 to G5. Hay ho, the wind and the rain.... After the change it ran without error but I lost a bunch of wu's as it would only see them as errors, so I will rest it for the moment.

Thanks anyway.

K.
Also make sure you have downloaded the 5.12 Enhanced files before you have the app_info.xml. Either let your work run down or since you errored them out, run Boinc without the app_info.xml until you get the new files. Then put the app_info.xml back in the seti project folder and you should be set.

gorbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 09:40 AM

Rather than having to switch back and forth, is there someplace we can just download the enhanced client from?

lepetitmartien
May 8, 2006, 01:03 PM

To retrieve the enhanced, finish you current units, send them, quit BOINC. Remove everything from the seti project folder ~/library/application support/boinc data/project/setiathome.berkeley.edu and let Boinc retrieve the seti_enhanced client.

Once done, quit boinc, add to the folder the optimised a53 client, the wisdom file, the new xml file (it's important) and restart BOINC.

Note, Boinc may not like all this and you'll need a restart or lose some units along the way. Set up your Boinc preferences beforehand to have the less units in stock and none when retrieving the client.

The .xml file should have no blank lines in it.

Now, I've had today some major screwing up in my PRAM, one freeze, kernel panic on startup (until the reset of the PRAM) while running the seti_enhanced only. I have other candidates than seti_enhanced, but if any of you meet the same issues, I'd be careful…
MacMusic.Org says "Hi all!" :)
G5 desktop 1.8, 900 MHz frontbus (2003 model)
Latest wisdom file for it on demand, just PM me :)

lepetitmartien
May 8, 2006, 03:56 PM

I've had since this last post 4 new freezes, I'm still trying to eliminate other candidates than BOINC/seti_enhanced.

jedimstr
May 8, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by lepetitmartien
I've had since this last post 4 new freezes, I'm still trying to eliminate other candidates than BOINC/seti_enhanced.

Hmmm... no hangs here (yet) on a G4 1.5 Powerbook, a G5 Quad, and a G4 mini. I'll let you know if anything happens though.

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2006, 03:44 AM

6 out of 46 wu's now on my quad are the old v4.18, the remaining 40 are the new seti enhanced 5.12.

Predicted times to completion for the 5.12 varies from 3 hrs 15 upto 5 hrs 35. (BOINC Manager 5.4.9) Actual 5.12 cpu times are from 16992.08 to 24578.78. Credits coming in at just over 62 each.

K.
( Last edited by Knightrider; May 9, 2006 at 03:52 AM. )

lepetitmartien
May 9, 2006, 07:26 AM

Finally getting back, I'm back to the optimised BOINC and a53, there's something very fishy with either the couple BOINC/set_enhanced or seti_enhanced alone. I can't test further, I've got work to do, and this is f…g my computer big time (Takes hours each time to be able to boot again, and I'm no newbie in Mac trouble shooting).

It seems the freeze occurs when BOINC optimized/seti_enhanced are running, I'm running BOINC opt./a53 now and another candidate to see bit further while I WORK (grmblmblm). I'll get back fast on this. I'm looking into the Console what's making the fuss but it's not clear, diving further

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 10:25 AM

Sounds like a giant pain in the butt converting over.
I think I'll wait until I absolutely have to.

Let me get this straight:

-Set Seti for now to No New Work under the Projects tab in Boinc Manager.
-Run your cache empty.
-Upload & report all work.
-Exit BOINC completely.

-Navigate to:
Library/Application Support/BOINC/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu

-Delete/rename the optimized application and the app_info.xml file

-Restart BOINC.

-Set Seti to Allow new work under the Projects tab in Boinc Manager.

Or do we NOT delete/rename the optimized app and we just add
the contents of the .XML to our existing .XML?

This is where my knowledge breaks down.

I might have to experiment, I guess I'd prefer not to. Can we for sure
have it so that our old-style blocks that run quickly with Alpha5.3 run
here co-existingly?

Re: Blocktimes:
3-5 hours on a quad? Ish. I understand it's for better science but it's like
I was shoved kicking and screaming back to 1998. Hopefully the credits
will make up for that.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; May 9, 2006 at 11:11 AM. )

lepetitmartien
May 9, 2006, 01:52 PM

First, on my personal issue, it seems I had a problem with the hard drive (again) I'm doing tests without BOINC now (it already crashed this way once) So I'm heading to format, complete reinstall anyway. The actual problem is not BOINC/seti related, but the origin of it tracks back to the seti_enhanced running. :-/

As I'm alone it seems it may be more a chance than a bug…

Todd:

- set to no new work
- finish your WUs
- send them
- close BOINC
- remove the xml/optimized SETI/wisdom file (keep them on hold somewhere) from the seti projet folder
- change your BOINC prefs to a small amount of WU (connect every 0.1 day f.e.)
- open BOINC
- set to new work, it'll DL the seti_enhanced and WU(s)
- close BOINC
- bring back the optimized seti worker and the wisdom file in the seti project folder with the NEW xml
- open BOINC

Then you should be able to live happily ever after.

I'll bet back to try the enhanced again in a few days, I've got some issues to care about beforehand.

reader50
Administrator
May 9, 2006, 02:34 PM

Have you checked your drive with Disk Utility? Select the disk, the hardware icon rather than the partition icon. Note the info in the lowest pane, for the SMART status. If it doesn't say "verified" then the HD may be headed south.

It could be coincidence that this started right after installing SETI-enhanced. HDs can fail at any time, but my experience is that they most often fail at inconvenient times.

Thanar
May 9, 2006, 03:14 PM

No trouble at all with seti enhanced, here. Have been running for a couple of days on my iBook G4. Of course, no WUs sent yet... I don't see the need for a hybrid xml file, though, since for the past 4 days I've been seeing the "no new work" server message on my a53 CLI client (yes, I run both CLI clients at the same time, waiting for non-enhanced work). That said, I take it they are very close to dumping classic WUs very soon now. Which leads us to the need of a new altivec-optimized enhanced client.

Regarding the potential HD failure of lepetitmartien, it is highly uncommon for a software application to cause hardware damage to a had disk. The only extra stress a client like S@h could possibly pose to a hard disk would be the higher operating temperature of the whole system, which would matter only for a laptop configuration, since desktops usually have more than enough HD ventilation.

lepetitmartien
May 9, 2006, 09:31 PM

No problemo reader50, I'm head moderator and great troubleshooter on macmusic, I wanet way further than this (I don't want to tell the whole stuff, let's say, I've had already a problem on the drive some weeks ago, had to reformat 15 days ago -impossible to repair even with utilities way more advanced, and here a freeze coming in with no link to anything save seti_enhanced, but it occured later even whithout BOINC launched, avec without anything, and journalling had disappeared too… reformating, reinstalling everything now…)

Smart was ok
Temperatures too (it's monitored)
The Console wasn't very hepful either
The drive is the G5 original one, 2,5 years old.

It's the coincidence of the start of the freeze period ( on sunday late evening (or should I say early monday morning with the use of seti_enhanced which made me highly doubt.

Note that enhanced hasn't been extensively betatested on macs, as I've seen in the seti forums between 2 posts there. Now I'm more inclined to think it's a hardware problem on my system hard drive (bad sector in the boot partition, something like that), if it bahaves queerly again soon, I think I'll have a case against the thing, and it'll be out of the G5, direct in the dump.

Right now, I'll be running the a53 till I can give my attention to this again. I've got tons of things to do for MacMusic now so… Sorry if I have raised suspicions but it took me 24 hours to clear the issue (as much as possible that is.

Now let's go install BOINC again yeeepeeeh

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 11:33 PM

I'm running enhanced on the PC laptop I have - it's generated two work units,
one was 8000 seconds, the next definetely was enhanced and 16000 seconds.

Previously, that machine was doing 2800 seconds with Cruncher's application.

(Pentium M 1.7, 1 gig ram, 50 gigs of drive space, XP Pro, SP2, etc.)

I am not eager to disrupt my main crunching machine (G5 2.5) yet so I'll wait a
bit to see what kind of RAC/stability the laptop has.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2006, 12:11 AM

RIght now my old iMac Rev D (500 MHz) and my Dell Inspiron 6000 (1.6 GHz) are running the new enhanced SETI, but my eMac (1.25 GHz) is still running on alpha 5.3.

reader50
Administrator
May 10, 2006, 02:43 AM

... and journalling had disappeared too …
Ok, that is an attention getter. To lose journalling would require a hardware failure while the journal file is being written, or driver failure while the journal file is being written, or damage to the directory tree root.

A loose power cord perhaps? That's the cheapest answer I can think of assuming SMART is telling the truth. Please note that Scott recently lost his laptop HD. His SMART status continued to report verified right up until the end, even after access had slowed drastically.

lepetitmartien
May 10, 2006, 07:34 AM

My mains are bad, but not that bad Now I've still to repair my UPS (insert heavy depression getter here) but it's been out of order for months so it's not the issue.

On the journalling lost, just recalled that optimizing the drive (I did it as a last resort monday night) sets it off, but anyway the freeze remained.

What bothers me the most is that in the console, nothing showed clearly (or just anything could be responsible) and RAM seems OK (tested both thru Apple hardware test and techtools). To explain the freeze, it would occur randomly (even without app launched save OS/finder/dock), and the start up would be blocked after save from a system CD for example, eventually needing a PRAM zap too.

The computer is running with a brand new system since yesterday evening (when I could post again yesterday evening) and crunching since the middle of the night. No problemo so far. So something was f…d up, but what? I'll see if an issue shows its ugly head soon…

To get back to Seti_enhanced

JIM-R. posted a FAQ on the seti forums, a worth reading. It seems the last BOINC version 5.2.6 is required too…

Thanar
May 10, 2006, 07:47 AM

Well, regarding the new BOINC manager, it seems crap as well, afaik. I have the same issue as before: When I'm on batteries, computation doesn't pause, although it reports otherwise under the messages tab. The only way to evercome this issue it to run the CLI software.

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2006, 07:51 AM

What bothers me the most is that in the console, nothing showed clearly (or just anything could be responsible) and RAM seems OK (tested both thru Apple hardware test and techtools). To explain the freeze, it would occur randomly (even without app launched save OS/finder/dock), and the start up would be blocked after save from a system CD for example, eventually needing a PRAM zap too.
Did you try the hardware tester on the OSX install disk,(preferred I think) or TechTools, or system. or all of these?

K.

lepetitmartien
May 10, 2006, 08:20 AM

I said so (it's even in part you quoted , diskwarrior too.

Before someone asks, I cleaned up caches, trashed relevant prefs too… And I'm no more sure the problem beginning is enhanced related.

Can we move on? on the topic… I'll take a look at installing enhanced again is some days, I've got work to do now :-/

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 10:00 AM

Definetely sounds hardware.

As far as the enhanced project goes - I'm waiting to see what kind of credit the
new blocks receive. Here's my laptop:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/resul...hostid=2298037

Some of the blocks are 6-8 hours. Unreal.

Andrew F
May 10, 2006, 02:32 PM

Is the dev version 5.4.9 necessary to run the enhanced client? I'm currently running the Menubar 5.2.13, and wondering if I should transition to 5.2.13 Manager or 5.4.9 Manager? Also, any ideas how other apps/projects behave with 5.4.9?

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew F
Is the dev version 5.4.9 necessary to run the enhanced client? I'm currently running the Menubar 5.2.13, and wondering if I should transition to 5.2.13 Manager or 5.4.9 Manager? Also, any ideas how other apps/projects behave with 5.4.9?
Menubar no longer supported, which is a shame I think. Enhanced should run on 5.2.13 and 5.4.9 should be ok on other projects as well, I had it running on Einstein briefly and will return to it later on. Take your pick really.

btw lepetitmartien: did you check for dust bunnies? To much dust in the machine can cause it to glitch.

K.

TiloProbst
May 10, 2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
-Set Seti for now to No New Work under the Projects tab in Boinc Manager.
how do I do that in the Terminal version of Seti?

and is there a optimized Enhanced Client for PPC out yet?

lepetitmartien
May 11, 2006, 09:05 AM

For the version, check the FAQ posted in the SETI crunching forum, there explanations on why should you use more recent version of BOINC than 5.2.13.

btw Knightrider, my mac was dusted 2 months ago while installing the second hard drive (hasn't been before for more than a year). Also, I've had the freeze again last night, I'm looking over other tracks but I'm on pure speculation mode now…

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 10:25 AM

I'm running just one machine on enhanced.

Byproducts:
-my RAC has plummeted like a rock. Not liking that.

-Weird and arbitrary block behavior - it's 3/4ths of the way thru crunching a work
unit and it suddenly stops and the display says "pre-empted" and works on something
else it deems more important. I've got a whole screenful of pre-empted blocks.

-Work units take up to four times as long to complete when they do complete.

-Once up on the website, they are taking longer to achieve proper credit as well.

Thanar
May 11, 2006, 12:26 PM

lepetitmartien, try memtest under singlu-user mode and remove extra memory DIMMs to make sure it's not h/w related. Yet it seems that's you've run upon a h/w problem...

Andrew F
May 11, 2006, 02:28 PM

Okay, I'm transitioning from Menubar 5.2.13 to Manager 5.4.9

I've installed the 5.4.9 Manager, but haven't attached to any projects yet. I noticed it created a new BOINC data folder in the harddrive/Library>App Support folder, while my project data is in user/Library/App Support... can I move all the files from one to the other? Recommendations?

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 05:54 PM

Shut down manager 5.4.9, then you can move all the files over and restart the program and all your work will be there.

Andrew F
May 11, 2006, 08:15 PM

Thank you, that worked fine (it seems). The project info is all there, and crunching away on 2 processors.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 09:52 PM

Good to hear.

lepetitmartien
May 11, 2006, 11:35 PM

Thanar, it's on my tablets, I only don't have time to do so right now…

A recent talk on MacBidouille/hardmac forums in french pointed 2 other persons with the _same_ problems, and a likely candidate would be adobe version cue… I'll keep you updated. right now without CS around everything is fine (but I can't work)

tony.escobar
May 12, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
I'm running enhanced on the PC laptop I have - it's generated two work units,
one was 8000 seconds, the next definetely was enhanced and 16000 seconds.

Previously, that machine was doing 2800 seconds with Cruncher's application.

(Pentium M 1.7, 1 gig ram, 50 gigs of drive space, XP Pro, SP2, etc.)

I am not eager to disrupt my main crunching machine (G5 2.5) yet so I'll wait a
bit to see what kind of RAC/stability the laptop has.
Todd, you really need to get Crunch3r's optimized worker for SETI Enhanced. I put it on my Pentium M 1.9 with 512MB RAM almost two days ago. Most of my SE WUs have been under 2700 seconds. This peecee has Crunch3r's optimized workers for 4.11 and 5.12, so it can handle original and enhanced WUs.

On the other hand, I'm leaving SuperBench on my iLamp for as long as possible.

QS

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by QSilver
Todd, you really need to get Crunch3r's optimized worker for SETI Enhanced. I put it on my Pentium M 1.9 with 512MB RAM almost two days ago. Most of my SE WUs have been under 2700 seconds. This peecee has Crunch3r's optimized workers for 4.11 and 5.12, so it can handle original and enhanced WUs.
QS

I run a PC as well, could you post a link please.

K.

tony.escobar
May 12, 2006, 01:25 PM

I run a PC as well, could you post a link please.
Crunch3r's optimized workers for SETI Enhanced and the appropriate app_info.xml file for Windows are here.

Crunch3r's optimized workers for standard SETI on Windows are here.

For the optimized workers, be sure to follow the links in the Latest Application column. There are also optimized Linux workers available.

Crunch3r also has a link on his home page to a small CLI app that can tell you whether you should get the SSE, SSE2, or SSE3 versions of the optimized workers for your peecee (note that AMD CPUs have only one choice for SETI Enhanced).

QS

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by QSilver
Crunch3r's optimized workers for SETI Enhanced and the appropriate app_info.xml file for Windows
QS
Great, thanks very much

K.

jedimstr
May 12, 2006, 03:51 PM

As the transition to fully Seti Enhanced WUs continues... my spot on the charts for Top Computer has been dropping quickly. I made it all the way up to #2 under a53 but now I'm at #14 with mostly 5.13 WUs and accelerating downward. *sigh*...

Not that Credits are the most important thing, but it was nice to see my Quad rising through the ranks of Top Computer while it lasted... especially watching it beat all those dual core Pentium D's on the list.

I've already got Crunch3r's SSE2 and SSE3 optimized Enhanced workers on my PC's, but my Quad and other Mac's are chugging along on 1st gear.

So... Alex? *prod*prod* ... where's that Altivec optimized Enhanced worker

Andrew F
May 12, 2006, 08:02 PM

Is there any reason to run SETI Beta now that SETI Enhanced is out? (SETI Beta says its running enhanced 5.13... is it different or the same?)

lepetitmartien
May 12, 2006, 11:36 PM

Tried again enhanced, if I try to have both optimized clients and enhanced (with the right xml, installed the right way etc.), I get computational errors… sigh.

And the enhanced is awfully slow…

Alex? pretty please, I think we need you (nudge nudge)

jedimstr
May 13, 2006, 12:37 AM

Tried again enhanced, if I try to have both optimized clients and enhanced (with the right xml, installed the right way etc.), I get computational errors… sigh.

And the enhanced is awfully slow…

Alex? pretty please, I think we need you (nudge nudge)

I've been successfully running the a53 optimized and the enhanced clients. First 5.12, and as of today 5.13 (fixes some computational errors on the Mac version because it was originally compiled the wrong version of gcc. 5.13 works nicely now).

But definitely agree... we need an Altivec optimized version of 5.13.

lepetitmartien
May 13, 2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks, just found out the issue, first a restart of the mac was needed for an unknown reason (or every unit were processed thru the optimized client) and the version change set in the xml.

About the xml, should we beside the app name change the <version_num>512</version_num> into <version_num>513</version_num> ?

Right now it started ok though, I'll see when I'll come back later tonight.

happy happy joy joy

(on my freeze issues, I've able to reinstall at last -been a hassle- Adobe CS, but this time without version cue, I'll see if I freeze again or not… I hope NOT)

(btw, have all a nice crunchy WE

Gecko_r7
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 02:49 PM

6 out of 46 wu's now on my quad are the old v4.18, the remaining 40 are the new seti enhanced 5.12.

Predicted times to completion for the 5.12 varies from 3 hrs 15 upto 5 hrs 35. (BOINC Manager 5.4.9) Actual 5.12 cpu times are from 16992.08 to 24578.78. Credits coming in at just over 62 each.

K.
Knightrider: Are you using 5.12 or are you working w/ 5.13 now? I am curious if one must edit app_info.xml to reflect "version_num>513<...." in addition to editing the application change to 5.13. Has anyone done this already that can confirm? Or....does version_num remain 5.12 and only the application lines need edited. What sayeth the jury? Thanks!

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gecko_r7
Knightrider: Are you using 5.12 or are you working w/ 5.13 now?
This is the seti enhanced worker and will download automatically when needed, I haven't seen one yet and still crunching on 5.12. I have abandoned useing optimized versions for the moment. I was getting a lot of errors and things are still changing, so I will wait until they settle down and use the seti@home releases only.

Originally Posted by Gecko_r7
I am curious if one must edit app_info.xml to reflect "version_num>513<...." in addition to editing the application change to 5.13. Has anyone done this already that can confirm? Or....does version_num remain 5.12 and only the application lines need edited. What sayeth the jury? Thanks!
Others with more technical knowledge may be better to advise you.

Like all of us, I am waiting on Alex and Rick to come up with a new optimized mac worker. They said they would but If it's just changed again to 5.13, so we may have to wait a while yet.

K.

Gecko
May 13, 2006, 06:45 PM

Lepetitmartien:

I just moved to Enhanced and have done the install per your recommendation to switch between Opt 5.3 and 5.13 aps.

When starting Boinc, it dowloaded and TRASHED the first two 5.13 Enhanced WUs.

Result ID 325028559
Name 24fe99aa.2419.28802.504824.3.203_0
Workunit 78027307
Created 12 May 2006 15:00:48 UTC
Sent 13 May 2006 21:09:11 UTC
Received 13 May 2006 21:14:43 UTC
Server state Over
Outcome Client error
Client state Computing
Exit status 2 (0x2)
Computer ID 1162773
Report deadline 28 May 2006 15:56:58 UTC
CPU time 0
stderr out <core_client_version>5.4.9</core_client_version>
<message>
process exited with code 2 (0x2)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
2006-05-13 14:09:22 [SETI@home] Process creation (../../projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu/setiathome-5.13.powerpc-apple-darwin) failed: Error -1
execv: No such file or directory

</stderr_txt>

Validate state Invalid
Claimed credit 0
Granted credit 0
application version 5.13

After it reported the trashed units, it download a couple of Standard and Enhanced WUs and is crunching the standard units first. These are processing fine.
The message tab in my Boinc Mgr. shows 5.4.9 and Found app_info.xml;using anoymous platform. The app_info file seems to be fine and these first two Standard WU units are running w/ the opt 5.3 ap.

I also shutdown and restarted. Boinc picked up where it left-off.

See anything that might explain what happened or was this behavior to be expected?
Thanks, Ian

lepetitmartien
May 13, 2006, 09:39 PM

Gecko, verify the app_info.xml reflex the correct enhanced client name, if it's still in 5.12 you're out of luck (it happened to me this saturday afternoon…), if the .xml is corrected already then the issue is elsewhere. I had to restart the computer to enable BOINC/a53/enhanced to process without errors. Note that if you have a WU on the go you may lost it but it'll be "normal".

I'd say there's something we don't have control in the equation that settles down nicely by itself…

Just in case, the content of the xml set in 513, even the &lt;version_num&gt;513&lt;/version_num&gt;
&lt;app_info&gt;
&lt;app&gt;
&lt;name&gt;setiathome&lt;/name&gt;
&lt;/app&gt;
&lt;file_info&gt;
&lt;name&gt;seti@home-G4-a53&lt;/name&gt;
&lt;/file_info&gt;
&lt;file_info&gt;
&lt;name&gt;bigfft_wisdom&lt;/name&gt;
&lt;/file_info&gt;
&lt;app_version&gt;
&lt;app_name&gt;setiathome&lt;/app_name&gt;
&lt;version_num&gt;418&lt;/version_num&gt;
&lt;file_ref&gt;
&lt;file_name&gt;seti@home-G4-a53&lt;/file_name&gt;
&lt;main_program/&gt;
&lt;/file_ref&gt;
&lt;file_ref&gt;
&lt;file_name&gt;bigfft_wisdom&lt;/file_name&gt;
&lt;/file_ref&gt;
&lt;/app_version&gt;
&lt;app&gt;
&lt;name&gt;setiathome_enhanced&lt;/name&gt;
&lt;/app&gt;
&lt;file_info&gt;
&lt;name&gt;setiathome_5.13_powerpc-apple-darwin&lt;/name&gt;
&lt;executable/&gt;
&lt;/file_info&gt;
&lt;app_version&gt;
&lt;app_name&gt;setiathome_enhanced&lt;/app_name&gt;
&lt;version_num&gt;513&lt;/version_num&gt;
&lt;file_ref&gt;
&lt;file_name&gt;setiathome_5.13_powerpc-apple-darwin&lt;/file_name&gt;
&lt;main_program/&gt;
&lt;/file_ref&gt;
&lt;/app_version&gt;
&lt;/app_info&gt;
uh… it doesn't show correctly, how can I make the xml tags show up?
( Last edited by reader50; May 13, 2006 at 10:07 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
May 13, 2006, 10:01 PM

... how can I make the xml tags show up?
Working on it.

update: I had to manually do a search/replace. Replace "<" and ">" with "& l t ;" and "& g t ;" respectively. Remove the spaces I put in to make the tags visible.

Note: you can see how someone else did BB tag magic by hitting the Reply button on their post, and looking over their code in the Quote section.
( Last edited by reader50; May 13, 2006 at 10:10 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules