Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad has Wi-Fi problems, some users say

iPad has Wi-Fi problems, some users say
torontorepair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2010, 08:07 PM

I read this article on the internet and I will wait for iPad second generation.

On Apple's technical support Web site, there were 11 pages of comments Tuesday morning on a post saying Wi-Fi connections were weak or kept cutting out.

"Add me to the list with problems! I'm very disappointed that there's no solution either," one user wrote. "Does anyone think this can be fixed with an update, or should I just get a refund while there's time?"

Versions of the iPad, a sort of hybrid between a laptop and a smartphone designed largely for reading, Web surfing and playing games, will eventually work with both Wi-Fi and 3G wireless connections.

But the versions released Saturday are Wi-Fi only.

Some users were saying their Wi-Fi connections were weak, while others were saying they weren't able to connect with Wi-Fi at all. Some users say laying the iPad on a flat surface exacerbates the problem.

Apple did not respond Tuesday morning to a request from CNN.com for a response to the complaints.

On Saturday, when the company reported selling 300,000 of the devices, Apple posted a Web page outlining troubleshooting tips for "occasional problems" that included weak Wi-Fi connections or not being able to find a signal.

The tips include moving closer to a Wi-Fi router or hot spot and making sure the Wi-Fi router is plugged in and the power is turned on.

The Web page also suggests checking for sources of possible interference, like a microwave oven, and making sure you're connected to the correct Wi-Fi connection if multiple ones are available.

It's not unusual for users to have trouble navigating a new electronic device in its early days. But reports from tech-savvy members of the online community suggest the problem isn't just operator error.

"Count me in as someone who's having iPad Wifi issues as well,"wrote Michael Arrington, founder and editor of technology blog TechCrunch. "The device works fine near the router, but on the other side of the house, nada. But my Macbook pro and my Nexus One and other various devices I've brought into the house pick up wifi just fine in that area."

The iPad is a lightweight, portable computer with a glass multitouch screen that wirelessly surfs the Web, displays photos and videos, runs apps and plays games and movies, among other potential uses.

Reviews in the tech community have ranged from "sensual" to "disappointment" in the hours since its release. Some have raved that it's close to being a "laptop killer," meaning it can perform almost all the functions of the bigger portable computers.

There have been raves about its 1.5 pound weigh-in, making it easy to carry, and its ability to render reading material in color -- a potential boon for comics, newspapers and magazines.

Complaints, which predated widespread notice of the Wi-Fi issues, have centered around its lack of a camera, difficulty using its onscreen keyboard and the fact that users can't run more than one program at a time.

Like other Apple products, iPad does not run Flash, making some games and videos unusable.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2010, 08:45 PM

I'll be happily enjoying my iPad while you wait.

-Q-
Apr 6, 2010, 08:45 PM

Same here.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by torontorepair View Post
Like other Apple products, iPad does not run Flash, making some games and videos unusable.
OMG.

It's not called FarmvillePad for a reason.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2010, 08:04 AM

Spam reported.

Lotus Esprit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2010, 03:43 PM

Apple better resolve the WiFi issue before the 3Gs hit the stores or it could hurt sales. The solutions on their website are laughable to say the least. If a netbook that runs an clunky old OS can attach to a WAP without a problem, then a state of the ART piece of tech from Apple should be able to do the same.

FIX IT APPLE. PLEASE !!!
My Phone Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2010, 05:16 PM

No issues here. Loving it.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2010, 06:08 PM

Nice spam sig.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2010, 01:12 AM

I reported that sig spam four days ago. No idea why it's still here.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2010, 02:45 AM

No issues here either. Just sayin.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2010, 09:38 AM

I've experienced intermittent Wi-Fi issues. I'm sitting literally 6 feet from my Belkin N-router and my IPad will periodically drop the connection or it will lower to one bar. Usually happens after waking from sleep. No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it does this, sometimes it doesn't.

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2010, 03:32 AM

No issues here.

-Q-
Apr 12, 2010, 01:02 PM

Upon further use, I have seen the signal strength fluctuate, but I've not actually ever lost my internet connection so far.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 01:14 PM

I haven't noticed any issues, using my iPad with the latest Airport Extreme.

I did NOT change the network ID for the 5GHz band to something different (as Apple suggested).

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 06:19 PM

Not sure if this is related (probably not), but Princeton says iPads wreaking havoc with their WiFi network.

KnowledgeBase -�Office of Information Technology

Network monitoring has shown that many iPad devices are causing a problem on the campus network. These devices are continuing to use an IP address they have been leased well beyond the time they should. This behavior causes a disruption on the campus network.

At this time, we have seen this behavior from the majority of iPad devices connected to the campus network. We believe this is a bug within the iPad operating system. OIT has reported this bug to Apple in hopes that they will be able to provide a fix for this issue.

Until a fix is provided by Apple, OIT recommends not connecting your iPad device to the campus network as it is extremely likely it will malfunction. iPad devices that malfunction in this manner while connected to the campus network may need to be blocked to maintain the stability and reliability of campus network services.

-Q-
Apr 12, 2010, 11:16 PM

Duke claimed something similar when the iPhone was introduced: Update on Duke’s wireless network and Apple’s iPhones

In the end, it was actually a Cisco problem.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2010, 03:37 AM

According to news reports researchers have discovered that at least some of the connectivity issues may be linked to the iPad not renewing DHCP leases.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2010, 11:34 PM

I haven't had any problems either.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 04:48 PM

Now there's a new claim coming from campuses: the iPad can actually cause problems for networks. Sounds dubious.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Now there's a new claim coming from campuses: the iPad can actually cause problems for networks. Sounds dubious.
Seton Hill University, which is equipping every student with an iPad, has had to quadruple its bandwidth and charge students a $500-per-semester technology fee

Biggest rip-off evar.

Get an iPad free. (Only pay $ 500 IT fees each semester.)

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 05:34 PM

That's hilarious.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2010, 12:34 PM

Here's some graphs of actual iPad connectivity tests, compared to MBP and HP laptops. Finally: actual tests! How innovative that someone actually thought about doing actual tests...

iPad WiFi Woes – Myth or Reality? - PadGadget - The latest iPad news, app & accessory reviews

The antenna in the iPad doesn't fare so well on the 2.4 band, but does much much better on 5.0. Why can't Apple come up with decent antenna placement?

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2010, 03:09 PM

So far I have experience two instances where the iPad dropped the connection. It didn't reconnect. Distance to AP only a couple of meters and one wall in between.

Can we expect a firmware update before 4.0 ?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
So far I have experience two instances where the iPad dropped the connection. It didn't reconnect. Distance to AP only a couple of meters and one wall in between.

Can we expect a firmware update before 4.0 ?
Oh definitely ya. I'm guessing 2-3 updates at least before 4.0 in fall.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Apr 29, 2010 at 12:58 PM. )

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Here's some graphs of actual iPad connectivity tests, compared to MBP and HP laptops. Finally: actual tests! How innovative that someone actually thought about doing actual tests...

iPad WiFi Woes – Myth or Reality? - PadGadget - The latest iPad news, app & accessory reviews

The antenna in the iPad doesn't fare so well on the 2.4 band, but does much much better on 5.0. Why can't Apple come up with decent antenna placement?
What makes you think it's placement?

Antennae length has a lot to do with how well it works on a given band. The length has a direct relationship to the frequency of the band, or wavelength. Antennae can be half the wavelength, quarter wavelength, etc. This is a gross over-simplification, but you've got two antennae for diversity, and you expect them to work equally well on very different bands.

I don't know without measuring antennae what the explanation is for the behavior that's been observed so far. It's interesting.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2010, 09:15 AM

OK: "why can't Apple come up with decent antennas?" Lets delete the "placement" portion.

Not that semantics makes a big diff for the user. One interesting point about the Gizmodo-paying-for-scoops-imbroglio is that the iPhone had a plastic back. Much better for antennas, but not so great for esthetics. Personally, I'd rather have a great antenna. It's that thing about the iPhone dropping calls right and left, about Apple and ATT passing the blame back and forth.

Be interesting to see how the iPad 3G fares on the antenna/connection front.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2010, 12:26 PM

I thought that "prototype" iphone had a glass or ceramic back? Plastic is what we have now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules