Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12in Worth Updating to 10.3.2?

12in Worth Updating to 10.3.2?
Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2004, 02:08 AM

I don't know many if any corrections in 10.3.2 over 10.3.1 but i do know that it causes the 12" fans to turn on a lot more... i know there is a fix out for this... i just don't know how real of a working fix it is. Is it worth updating 10.3.2 or should i just stay at 10.3.1 for now...

May God Be With You.
-Matt

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2004, 02:32 AM

Apple released the update because they thought it fixed more issues than it raised. If you are having issues, update. If you are not having issues, then stay where you are.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2004, 02:55 AM

maybe I am living under a rock, but this is the 1st I've heard that 10.3.2 causes the 12" PowerBook's fan to come on more often. I have a 12" revB PowerBook and have not noticed an increase in the frequency that fan comes on or stays on and I've been running 10.3.2 since it was released.

I am not denying that some people may be having this problem, but I personally have not seen it.

ibook_steve
Mar 7, 2004, 03:45 AM

This is referring to the rev A 867 MHz 12".

Steve

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 09:49 AM

I have a revision A 867 12-in PB and I'm running 10.3.2. The fan does turn on more (it always startles me when it does, too, becuase this machine really is very quiet.

I waited so long to do Panther (January) that I did all the updates at once, so I'm not sure if it would have been any different under 10.3. That said, it just is not an issue with me. It comes on, it turns off. I do notice it when it does come on, as I said, but it's just not a big deal.

The goofy networking, in which I cannot geI my other computer to show up (and get into it) half the time and in which I cannot access my own folders, despite changing permissions is a much much bigger Panther issue to me. That one has affected how productivity enormously.

So go ahead -- update.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2004, 10:40 AM

Apple codes and posts those updates for a reason. You should update, more for these updates fix holes and problems with the OS that someone might try and take advantage of.

Don't say it doesn't happen now, my point is that it might.

Always update your software if you can.

Tek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2004, 11:50 AM

Yeah, i was late to the party with panther. I purchased my RevA powerbook back during Christmas when Amazon had that really good sale on them and i this past week got around to taking advantage of Apple's upgrade for $20 plan. Now i'm running panther finally! I went ahead and installed 10.3.2 and the fans definately started turning on more... i then found the Silent Night app and installed it and rebooted and the fans haven't kicked in yet, but we shall see if they do (i've heard to some that Silent Night did not work for them). But thank you guys for your opinions on the subject!

May God Be With You.
-Matt

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2004, 10:00 PM

One thing to note is that in general, heavier usage of the processor or graphics chip will result in the fan being turned on more often.

Also, perhaps Apple received complaints about the temperature of the machines and realized that they could just turn the fan on more.

Just ideas.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 04:22 AM

No problems here on a PB 12' rev b.
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 07:47 AM

10.3.3 update is suppose to be out early next week, like Monday to Wednesday. I would just wait for that if I were you. From all those testing ont he 1.3.3, it looks like it'll be a very stable release. I've heard nothing but good things about it with the latest testing seed of 10.3.3

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Tek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 11:41 PM

Will 10.3.3 install the stuff that 10.3.2 installed plus new stuff? OR will it just install 10.3.3 stuff. I've already upgraded to 10.3.2 and the fans do turn on more now - after installing silent night and rebooting several times to no avail. So if i downgrade to 10.3.1 (is that even possible?) and then just wait to install 10.3.3 will that theoretically solve the fan problem... hmmm, kinda confused by it all.

May God Be With You.
-Matt

DeRobeHer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 01:27 AM

The 10.3.3 will update your entire system to the latest versions of everything. All OS updates are cumulative. There is no way to downgrade save re-installing the OS, and even then, you might not be able to just upgrade to the version that you want.

I took delivery of a 12" revb Powerbook today, and it came with 10.3.2 installed on it. The fans have only turned on while I was using the SuperDrive to install software.
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Forum Links
Forum Rules