Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I just reported to cops that didn't use their signals.

I just reported to cops that didn't use their signals.
george68
Banned
Jul 25, 2004, 10:58 PM

Muha. I demanded that they be talked to, but not punished, and instead of being reprimanded, they are each ordered to pull over one person and issue a citation for lack of turn signal use (tomorrow).

Muha.

- Ca$h

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2004, 10:59 PM

Two cops...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 11:03 PM

Wow. So much power. What does it feel like?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 11:07 PM

Congratulations. Have a cookie...

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 11:09 PM

wait... I don't use my signal, I pay a fine...

cop doesn't use his signal... he has to fine me...

...why isn't this working out right...
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

george68  (op)
Banned
Jul 25, 2004, 11:15 PM

I'm just trying to raise officer awareness of inattentive driving. Because of people who don't use signals, I have this:

While it is a law that you must use signals, officers rarely enforce it, hence most people (SUV drivers in particular) rarely use them... causing road rage, accidents, near misses, stress, and general un-coolness. I already have a sign in my car that says in huge bold black letters "PLEASE USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS" but I need to do more.

- Ca$h

PS: Sorry I'm drunk so forgive iany mispellings.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 11:16 PM

Turning on lights to just get through intersection when turning red...

: : :

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:

Word.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 11:20 PM

...why isn't this working out right...
ahh the double standards....
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

george68  (op)
Banned
Jul 25, 2004, 11:22 PM

WRONG. I believe what you meant was :

"Wait... I don't use my signal, almost cause an accident and cut someone off and piss everyone off, and I don't ever get pulled over and pay no fine whatsoever".

- Rob

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 11:22 PM

I remember when I lived on Cape Cod, the cops in Hyannis would turn on their lights to go through a red light, then turn them off after.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 08:27 AM

That's pathetic. Really.

And I never use my turn signal unless someone can see me. And believe me, I'm a mirror user fanatically. I live by the old saying that if a tree falls in the woods, does it make noise? So if no one can see me driving and I don't use my turn signal, does anyone know?

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by george68:
Muha. I demanded that they be talked to, but not punished, and instead of being reprimanded, they are each ordered to pull over one person and issue a citation for lack of turn signal use (tomorrow).

Muha.

- Ca$h
Yeah I'm sure that will happen, they wont just say what a turd and laugh you off... bwahahaha.

If you've ever been a cop, (oh wait your like what 20?) or have known cops you would know they will listen to you to put up a good face but will NEVER reprimand another officer, if it doesn't come from way up they will laugh you off and will even keep an eye out for you and even remember not to cut you slack if they pull you over.

way to go

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by His Dudeness:
That's pathetic. Really.

And I never use my turn signal unless someone can see me. And believe me, I'm a mirror user fanatically. I live by the old saying that if a tree falls in the woods, does it make noise? So if no one can see me driving and I don't use my turn signal, does anyone know?
Wow, it seems to be my day for getting on your case!

This mentality is plain wrong. Indicate at ALL times. You never know when someone has snuck out from places unexpected. I get sick and tired of cars who do not indicate. It really gives me the shits because I am a cyclist who travels faster then the traffic flow. If people indicate I can deal with it. If they don't I have to smash there side mirrors with my handlebars as I pass them, while trying to "avoid" them......

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 09:21 AM

That's pathetic. Really.

_?_ Where could some car suddenly come from ? If you constantly look around you see everything.

BUT if there is a lot of traffic around I do use my signals, for the rest of the time I don't care. And Ca$h what mikellanes said is really true. I can understand what you did, and I partially agree with you but this was not the way to go.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 09:22 AM

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
If they don't I have to smash there side mirrors with my handlebars as I pass them, while trying to "avoid" them......
This is REALLY disgusting. In Paris on the periferique for example you have to be really carefull for bikes because if they don't have enough space to pass they really *kick* off your mirrors with their feet. I've seen this happen a few times. If I could I would run after them and kick off their heads. Seriously. I always report these guys to the police.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 09:36 AM

People don't ever signal enough (especially for changing lanes). Or soon enough. My favorite man�uver is slamming on the brakes in heavy traffic, almost coming to a stop, and *then* signaling that they're going to turn. Gee, thanks for the heads-up.

When will people in this country learn how to drive???

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 10:05 AM

Not using turn signals is a law that's needs some "nforcing". A fine would do nicely. It's so simple, so useful to others, and yet so often neglected. I use turn signals extensively, and it's a good habit. Often you think no one else is around or think no one will be affected, but that's not the case. Letting someone know you are turning can save them time and help prevent uncertainty on the road. You cannot see in all directions while driving at any given time, so not using turn signals is dumb.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 10:30 AM

People who say they only use signals when they see other cars are a pain. I walk around a city a lot, and car users who don't indicate because you're just a pedestrian are a pain in the ass. Especially when they get all pissy at you for walking out in front of them when they've just turned down the street you're walking across without indicating.

I walk to and from work every day, and there are two places I walk past where drivers rarely indicate. One a strange junction where the road bends round to the left, and goes straight on, to go straight on you should indicate left, to go right you don't need to indicate, as that's where the road goes. The other is a round-about with 3 exits at the top, the moron drivers here don't seem to understand that the one in the middle is straight on, but if they're using either of the other two they need to indicate!

Don't even get me started on ass holes who jump red lights at pelican crossings, or don't stop at zebra crossings when I'm walking across them.
12" Rev B PB

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
This is REALLY disgusting. In Paris on the periferique for example you have to be really carefull for bikes because if they don't have enough space to pass they really *kick* off your mirrors with their feet. I've seen this happen a few times. If I could I would run after them and kick off their heads. Seriously. I always report these guys to the police.
You could just be more considerate to the cyclists and leave them some space.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
You could just be more considerate to the cyclists and leave them some space.
No no really, this is in situations where there is plenty of space. And anyway it's illegal what they do. They can't pass you. They must use the same lane as the cars.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 11:53 AM

I'm amused to find this thread- cuz I was thinking about Cash and his turn signal fetish this morning on my bike ride into work: I'm riding uphill towards the first intersection from my house, when I see a car coming from my left. I slow down to yield, but I have some trouble balancing, as I'm not accustomed to my backback in the rear pannier, throwing the weight of my bike off to the left. So I end up swerving left as I try to maintain balance and some forward momentum up this hill. This shouldn't matter, as this this car isn't indicating he's turning, he should go right past me.

But no, he's actually making a right turn. I find that I'm now on the edge of his lane, he's stopping quickly, and I'm heaving the bike straight to not get hit.

If he woulda just used a turn signal, everyone woulda been happier.

My traffic control pet peeve is respecting pedestrians in crosswalks. Around here, unless they're disregarding a Don't Walk sign, a pedestrian has the right of way, although they rarely get it. I sometimes go and assert my rights, which has led to more than one altercation. It's amazing how a driver who didn't have time to yield to you in a crosswalk has time to stop his car and look for a fight once you slap his quarterpanel as he goes by.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 03:08 PM

No accidents are ever caused by lack of turn signals. Accidents are only caused by stupid drivers not anticipating what the other idiot is going to do.

In other words, even if I see a turn signal, I wait until the car has started to turn just in case the signal was knocked on by accident.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
No accidents are ever caused by lack of turn signals. Accidents are only caused by stupid drivers not anticipating what the other idiot is going to do.
Erm, could you cite a source?

There are more situations than just waiting for at an intersection to see if someone is really going to turn. For instance, a turn helps warn drivers ahead of time, especially when changing lanes or making a left-hand turn on a narrow, crowded road.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
Not using turn signals is a law that's needs some "nforcing". A fine would do nicely. It's so simple, so useful to others, and yet so often neglected. I use turn signals extensively, and it's a good habit. Often you think no one else is around or think no one will be affected, but that's not the case. Letting someone know you are turning can save them time and help prevent uncertainty on the road. You cannot see in all directions while driving at any given time, so not using turn signals is dumb.
I couldn't agree more. I think they're neglected precisely because they don't necessarily help the driver. Likewise, I hate when people ride around when it's dark or rainy with their lights off. Yeah, I know you can see fine -- it helps everyone else see you! When I lived in Michigan, which is perpetually overcast, that was extremely frustrating.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2004, 04:04 PM

Hah! Great!

What I hate the most is when you miss a light cycle at an intersection that goes striaght or turns cuz the guy in front of you doesn't use his signal, so you wait for him to go straight... then he turns. F*CKING HATE THAT!@!!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Thorin:
Don't even get me started on ass holes who jump red lights at pelican crossings, or don't stop at zebra crossings when I'm walking across them.
I almost got hit by two people while they were making a left turn today. I had the walk sign, and was in the crosswalk - not only did they turn while I was there, but they both failed to come to a complete stop and failed to indicate before turning.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
I almost got hit by two people while they were making a left turn today. I had the walk sign, and was in the crosswalk - not only did they turn while I was there, but they both failed to come to a complete stop and failed to indicate before turning.
I nearly got hit by a bin lorry one morning because the lorry driver decided not to bother stopping as I was crossing (the lights were on red for him, green man for me). I put my foot out to step into the road and the lorry blasted past about two inches from my foot. When I die, I don't want it to be smeared across a dual carriage way underneath a bin lorry at 8:25 in the morning because some dozy git couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the lights at a pelican crossing.
12" Rev B PB

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 04:48 PM

I nearly got hit by a bin lorry one morning because the lorry driver decided not to bother stopping as I was crossing (the lights were on red for him, green man for me). I put my foot out to step into the road and the lorry blasted past about two inches from my foot. When I die, I don't want it to be smeared across a dual carriage way underneath a bin lorry at 8:25 in the morning because some dozy git couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the lights at a pelican crossing.
wait... what?

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 05:00 PM

Wow, thank you Monty Python, without you I never would have understood any of that.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 26, 2004, 05:07 PM

This whole thing could have been far worse. At least the cops weren't failing to signal, while wearing chapstick and throwing cigarette butts out the window.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by killer_735:
Wow, thank you Monty Python, without you I never would have understood any of that.
I thought I was well versed in Python, but I still don't quite get it.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 05:31 PM

OK. Two things. 1. So this is why I kept getting blank looks when I was in NYC in Feb 2003, and 2. Why is it that I can watch an episode of friends or the Simpsons and understand the gist of all the references and americanisms, even if it's to something I know nothing about, from the context that the reference or word is used in?

I nearly got hit by a bin garbage lorry truck one morning because the lorry truck driver decided not to bother stopping as I was crossing (the lights were on red for him, green man walk sign for me). I put my foot out to step into the road and the lorry truck blasted past about two inches from my foot. When I die, I don't want it to be smeared across a dual carriage way road with two lanes in either direction, rather than just one lane in either direction underneath a bin garbage lorry truck at 8:25 in the morning because some dozy sleepy git bastard, ****er, whatever couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the lights at a pelican crossing a crossing with lights, where a pedestrian presses a button, and the traffic is then shown a red light while the pedestrian is shown a picture of a green man

How's that? Could I get a job translating into american?

Two countries separated by a common language indeed!
12" Rev B PB

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 05:54 PM

I don't drive that often, but as a pedestrian I get really mad at cars that don't use their signals, or don't signal until they're in the intersection. If I made the laws, I would make it permissible for pedestrians to carry baseball bats or other objects with which to smash the hoods/turn lights of cars that don't signal. I think after a few of those, drivers would get the idea.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 06:07 PM

How's that? Could I get a job translating into american?
LMAO!

I think the problem is in the US, the walk sign's little man-picture is white (so oncoming traffic doesn't think they have a green light). Of course, people say "look, a walk sign!" not "look, a white man!" Well some people might.

And let's face it. English is just a miserable language, any way you pronounce it.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 06:08 PM

Two countries separated by a common language indeed!
Oh dear bloody blimey.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
This whole thing could have been far worse. At least the cops weren't failing to signal, while wearing chapstick and throwing cigarette butts out the window.

What's wrong with wearing chapstick?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 06:12 PM

At least the cops weren't fiddling with their damn bluetooth headset trying to get it to pair with their phone.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
At least the cops weren't fiddling with their damn bluetooth headset trying to get it to pair with their phone.
Most likely fiddling with their doughtnut, trying to get it to pair with their mouth.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2004, 06:22 PM

I bet they all broke out in to laughter the second you left the office.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 06:26 PM

In a similar vein... was watching an episode of Top Gear, and they had a pet hate of people who enter box junctions when the exit is not clear. (For the non-Brits who don't use the same terminology, a box junction has yellow crossed lines painted on it, and it's illegal to enter unless there is space free to leave... but lots of people break the rules.)

They got a bunch of cheerleaders, some guys dressed as teddybears, and a load of dudes with signs with arrows on. As soon as someone drove into the junction when they couldn't leave, they surrounded the car, waving the signs, and chanting how they'd been got by the "yellow box bears".

As they said on the programme, it's something that that driver won't forget in a hurry

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 07:41 PM

I still don't understand what a box junction is...

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 09:10 PM

I am guessing an intersection - and in reference to wnakers to think that they can wait in it while the light is green.....and then it goes red, and they block traffic.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
I am guessing an intersection - and in reference to wnakers to think that they can wait in it while the light is green.....and then it goes red, and they block traffic.
Oh, "the box."

You see "Don't Block the Box/+2 Points" signs all over NYC.

ambush
Banned
Jul 26, 2004, 09:42 PM

OMG I so hate stupid people who don't use signals.

Like ... when you ride your bike to work in the city at rush hour, it's HELL.

I'm like jeopardizing my life every day...

It's just a sign that they're bad drivers, that's all. I like to yell this at them: "Are flashers optional and your ****ing car, idiot?"

george68  (op)
Banned
Jul 26, 2004, 10:06 PM

That's pathetic. Really.

And you ALWAYS know where everyone is at all times, because you are perfect right? Blow it out your ass, donut puncher. You screw up just like everyone else. The trick is to make signaling a habit so that if you DON"T see someone, they have a chance to avoid you.

- Rob

george68  (op)
Banned
Jul 26, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
It also helps with pedestrians.... Kristin and I have both been close to being run over because we look both ways at an intersection, see now cars, start across the street, and then some big f*cking suburban honks at us and gives us WTF looks.... then I usually flip them the bird and throw rocks.

- Rob

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 10:08 PM

You did it WRONG!!!

You video tape All the officers leaving after morning roll call, and get all the officers NOT using the turn signals. You make sure you get the faces, licenses and car numbers, and wait until they ask for raises, and give copies to the local board of supervisors or whatever, and then to the media. Most of you pay taxes that 'self insure' them so your bucks are being wasted!!! Screw all of them at once in the pocket book!! They will remember after that. I did it to the STATE POLICE and local fuzz and the fire fighters, and finally the judges and court staff and gave it to the news outlets. what could they say?? It WAS THEM on tape, and NO SIGNALS...................

george68  (op)
Banned
Jul 26, 2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
No accidents are ever caused by lack of turn signals.
You're stupid. I was hit in the 1/4 panel by some stupid woman, who HAD she used her signals, she would provided insight as to what her stupid ass was about to do, and I could have avoided it. She thought she was on a 2 way street, but she was on a ONE way street, with 2 lanes.

Animation:

http://members.aol.com/cash68/crash.swf

She was slowing down gradually, like she was going to take a RIGHT hand turn...then, POOFF, she turns left and hits the back of my car. She started to turn when I was pretty much NEXT to her... if she had used her signals, it wouldn't have happened.

- Rob

Forum Links
Forum Rules