Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How does the MacBook handle HD video

How does the MacBook handle HD video
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2006, 03:50 PM

Hi

I am thinking of buying a macbook and maybe later buying a HD video camera (next year who knows). I was wondering if someone has already tried to edit a HD movie on the macbook (iMovie, Final Cut, ...). And how the MB behaves ...

Thanks !
S k y p a t

force838
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 04:12 PM

don't know about editing movies, but i watched an HD movie (actually, a HD 720p recording of "Lost") on it in full screen and it would hiccup every once in a while. nothing major, but kind of annoying. i think it's the integrated vid card.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 04:23 PM

I play 720p videos all the time with no issues. Just be sure to have a lot of ram.

Haven't tried a 1080p video yet, as the screen size is just too small for me to even bother.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 09:21 PM

i don't do any video editing so i can't comment on that. i did watch 1080p videos with my macbook. it played flawlessly through dvi output to hdtv at 1080i.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2006, 01:22 PM

Similar to what others have mentioned I haven't ever done any video editing--kudos to you crafty people who are so inclined. I have been able to playback 720p video at a constant 24fps without dropping frames on a 2.0Ghz Black MacBook with 2GB of RAM and OEM 80GB drive. This was something that my previous 1.67Ghz G4 PowerBook with 2GB of RAM and 7200rpm 100GB drive from last October could not do. I believe editing video would likewise be a processor intensive task. I would imagine this is something the MacBook would handle very well. I'd say go for it.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MuadDib420
think it's the integrated vid card.

I video card really does barely anything during the playback of HD material - its all to do with the CPU, hence the reason the PowerBooks with a decent Radeon 9700 w/128 couldn't play HD with its G4 processor
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules