Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Having to start all over w/a new HD...should I buy Tiger upgrade or complete Tiger?

Having to start all over w/a new HD...should I buy Tiger upgrade or complete Tiger?
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 08:52 PM

I'm having to replace the hard drive in my PowerBook after the original HD broke last week. The computer came with OS 10.3 on DVDs. I'm wanting to go to Tiger and don't know if I should first install 10.3 and then buy the Tiger upgrade, or if I should just buy the complete Tiger package. I think there's about $40 difference between the two packs. Is there any advantage to buying the complete Tiger package (~$120)? If I just get the upgrade and go from 10.3 to 10.4, can I go to 10.4.6 with a free online download? Thanks!
Apple user since 1987

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2006, 09:21 PM

There is no Tiger upgrade.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2006, 01:47 AM

Apple user since 1987

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 02:58 AM

Dunno what that is, but it doesn't look exactly legit. These are the only options to buy Tiger:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=MA453Z%2FA

The normal Tiger disk will upgrade your Mac. It seems very strange the way they are selling 10.3 disks with a Tiger 'upgrade' disk in that link you provide. The picture shows that they seem to be selling system disks from an iMac. Those disks might not even work on a Powerbook. Although I suppose you might get iLife with it too.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2006, 09:36 AM

Is it worth spending $120 for Tiger, and then another $80 for iLife 2006, or should I just install Panther and wait for Leopard to come out? Spring 2007, right?
Apple user since 1987

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2006, 09:59 AM

Tiger is worth the money, but if I waited so long I'd wait the few months more for Leopard and iWork '07 and get those instead. $200 for 6-8 months of use would be a little bit steep in my opinion.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Sep 3, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by STAT
If I just get the upgrade and go from 10.3 to 10.4, can I go to 10.4.6 with a free online download? Thanks!
Yes, you can. No need to pay $40 for the full version.

And maybe I would only wait for iLife '07 (only 4 months away) and not for Leopard (could be almost 10 months away).

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 03:07 PM

I'd wait till WWDC and see what comes out there. It'd be kinda silly to buy Tiger now if you were going to upgrade when Leopard came out.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 3, 2006, 03:37 PM

Do you mean wait until MWSF instead of WWDC? The next WWDC is almost 12 months away.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
Dunno what that is, but it doesn't look exactly legit.
Apple included upgrade discs with computers shipped after 10.4 was released but which had but manufactured back when 10.3 was standard (like most of the later eMacs).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules