Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod nano battery retention

iPod nano battery retention
Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 10:39 AM

I'm pondering the purchase of the 3G iPod nano 8GB as an upgrade from my trusty but battery-draining blue refurb 1G iPod mini and have a quick question about the latest models (the nano specifically).

I'm chiefly a weekend user of my iPod mini and have to keep it charged during the week (or the night before I plan to use it) to get any battery life out of the device. During the week it drains considerably and after three days or so is completely dead. It gets "normal" 8-hour playtime when fully charged (and I'm quite happy with that) but won't retain its life when "off" for more than a few days. I've confirmed that this is seemingly usual behavior for the iPod mini as it happens to a lot of folks so I'm not worried about it.

My question is: how are the 3G or other nanos in this respect? Anyone just an occasional user of their nano and find the need to keep it plugged in over a few day's time?

Thanks.

Voch

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2007, 12:25 PM

Well, I have not had it long enough to get a really good idea of the batteries performance, but after a week I can tell you that the battery life on this thing is fantastic.

With my old Nano, I would listen for 8 hours at work and my meter would be in the red. Now after 8 hours, my meter is barely halfway down. I've even gone two days without charging it without a problem. I could never have done that in the past.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Voch  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 01:17 PM

That sounds great, ort888. Two days "shelf life" is close to the max of what I get out of my iPod mini. It'd be nice to just charge a new iPod nano roughly once a week when only using it for a few hours once and then a few hours several days later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules