Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook G4 + Leopard = dog?

ibook G4 + Leopard = dog?
icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2008, 06:31 PM

Hi

I have a 14" iBook G4 1.0ghz with the 1.25gb of RAM currently running Tiger which I am thinking of clean installing up to Leopard, but I don't want to risk it running like an absolute dog.

So does anyone have experience with a similarly speced iBook? Can you tell me how Leopard runs on it?

Thanks!

PS. part of the motivation for the clean install instead of archive is that the upgrade from Panther to Tiger was done via disk image with some edited code, and not from an install dvd, which broke. Anyhow.

aepple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2008, 08:17 PM

i have a g4 17' 1.67ghz with 2gb ram... i upgraded to Leopard with no problem without cleaning. since then i have installed iphoto08.. ilife08 with no problems. keep your ram up... good luck

icibaqu  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2008, 08:56 PM

you realize how much faster your computer is as compared to mine, right? 1.67 and 2gb is not 1.0 w/ 1.25 gb.

thanks.

more?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 09:39 PM

I have Leopard on a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook G4 with 1.25GB of RAM and the stock 60GB 4200 RPM hard drive. Runs acceptably well. No speed demon, and some things may be faster on 10.4, but definitely usable. I even managed to get Virtual PC 7 installed and running (though the optical drive isn't supported; need to use disc images).

cutlassvillager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2008, 09:42 PM

My family's PowerMac G4 w/867 Mhz and 1.5GB Ram runs great under 10.5. We usually use it just for basic stuff, but I imagine it would do harder tasks without a problem. Keep in mind the PowerMac also has slower PC 133 RAM compared to the DDR RAM in your iBook.
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

Bearsfan34
Jan 30, 2008, 04:36 PM

Got a 12" iBook G4 1.2GHz proc with 1.25GB of RAM; did an Archive & Install with Leopard, and it's been running great. I used it personally for a couple of months, using iLife & iWork '08 and iTunes extensively, and it never gave me any issues. My wife uses the iBook now since I have a new MB, and there have been zero issues.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 09:02 PM

Installed Leopard on my 12" 1.2ghz iBook with 768mb. It's much faster/responsive than Tiger. Safari and Finder fly. The only thing which is actually slower is the magnification effect on the Dock with 3D effect, but you can disable it with Terminal...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by pat++ View Post
Installed Leopard on my 12" 1.2ghz iBook with 768mb. It's much faster/responsive than Tiger. Safari and Finder fly. The only thing which is actually slower is the magnification effect on the Dock with 3D effect, but you can disable it with Terminal...
You can disable Dock magnification right from the Dock preference pane.

EmericanPatriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2008, 12:38 AM

I don't really see why you'd want to upgrade to Leopard, unless you're terribly unhappy with Tiger or dying to use Time Machine, there's a lot of cool little features that come along with 10.5, but the sacrifice you need to make in order to run something newer like Leopard is that your computer although fast enough, will not run Leopard as fast as Tiger, plain and simple. The difference may be small it may be great, but I just don't see the big draw in upgrading to Leopard unless you're buying a new computer in which case it comes with Leopard anyways. Time Machine is the biggest change, everything else is chump change, not to mention some of your 3rd party applications may not work with the new OS.

Bearsfan34
Jan 31, 2008, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by EmericanPatriot View Post
I don't really see why you'd want to upgrade to Leopard, unless you're terribly unhappy with Tiger or dying to use Time Machine, there's a lot of cool little features that come along with 10.5, but the sacrifice you need to make in order to run something newer like Leopard is that your computer although fast enough, will not run Leopard as fast as Tiger, plain and simple. The difference may be small it may be great, but I just don't see the big draw in upgrading to Leopard unless you're buying a new computer in which case it comes with Leopard anyways. Time Machine is the biggest change, everything else is chump change, not to mention some of your 3rd party applications may not work with the new OS.
YMMV. My G4 iBook runs just as fast, if not faster, than Tiger..."plain and simple." Honestly, I haven't really noticed any difference in speed. Maybe you have on your machine(s), but I haven't.

There are more things than just Time Machine that made me upgrade to Leopard...like Quick Look, Back to my Mac, new iChat features, new way other network computers/mounted drives "work" in Finder, enhanced parental controls, etc.

To each his/her own. Maybe your Mac is slower with Leopard than it was with Tiger; not mine.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

icibaqu  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2008, 08:46 AM

yeah, with the exception of parental controls, i'm running along with bearsfan's list. also, i think that Mail particularly has some ease of use/usability features.

that's the motivation. i have an imac and that ibook, so the networked drive stuff and back to my mac, etc sound great

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 12:19 PM

I've got a 12" 1.33 PB and didn't notice much of a speed difference in upgrading to Leopard from Tiger. If you're upgrading to Leopard on the iMac, then do the iBook as well. Should be just fine.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post
Hi

I have a 14" iBook G4 1.0ghz with the 1.25gb of RAM currently running Tiger which I am thinking of clean installing up to Leopard, but I don't want to risk it running like an absolute dog.

So does anyone have experience with a similarly speced iBook? Can you tell me how Leopard runs on it?
I have that exact 1.07 GHz iBook + 1.25 GB RAM configuration (12" model though), and it runs Leopard quite well.

Just don't install Office 2008 on it. I erased Office 2004 and put Office 2008 on it. Big mistake.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
You can disable Dock magnification right from the Dock preference pane.
I want to keep the magnification and disable the 3D effect so that the animation is smooth. You cannot do it from the Dock preferences pane.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by pat++ View Post
I want to keep the magnification and disable the 3D effect so that the animation is smooth. You cannot do it from the Dock preferences pane.
Gotcha. There's also a little GUI app that'll do the same thing ("Dock Restore").

Forum Links
Forum Rules