Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac and new LED cinema Display

iMac and new LED cinema Display
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2008, 09:11 AM

Hi everyone,

My sister is about to order an iMac and would also love to get the new LED cinema display. But I think it is not possible to connect the 2, am I right ? Why isn't it possible to have a DVI to Display Port adaptor ?

Thanks for your advices
S k y p a t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2008, 09:19 AM

Apple will probably release a DisplayPort to DVI adapter once the rest of the display lineup is refreshed, perhaps at Macworld. Apple isn't stupid enough to make the new displays accessible only to the purchasers of the newest two computer models that have only been out for a month. For now the new LED display is marketed as MacBook exclusive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2008, 09:29 AM

DisplayPort to DVI already exists.

$29 at store.apple.com

What the OP would need for this to work is DVI->DP. While in principle that is possible (since DP was designed to carry DVI signals), Apple isn't selling such an adapter. That's an indication that their new screen cannot display DVI signals even if they come in over a DP connection. Quite similar to the fact that an ACD cannot display a VGA image even if you feed it through a DVI-I connection.

AFAIK nobody has tried connecting a DVI output to the new 24" LED display yet though. AFAIK there are also no existing DVI->MDP adapters available. And right now Apple is selling the regular ACDs alongside the new screen for all the DVI users. And as long as there is no 30" with LED backlight that will likely remain their line-up.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2008, 09:37 AM

Sorry, I usually mix up which connector is named first when talking about adapters. So Simon, you think the 24" LED CD will not be accompanied by a refresh of the entire line?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2008, 10:14 AM

Oh, I think eventually Apple will refresh the entire line. But I am guessing right now an LED-backlit 30" is still fairly expensive.

It will be interesting to see what kind of video out they put on the next iMac, Mac mini, and MP graphics cards. If it's (M)DP (and I guess it will be) I would expect that that's the end of the line for DVI Macs. I really doubt Apple has added DVI-support to the 24" LED CD. It's technically possible, but with their history I doubt it.

The regular ACDs will probably stick around for another while and they'll likely do well on the used market.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2008, 04:31 PM

So ... no hope to ever be able to connect a new LED display on the current iMac ??
S k y p a t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 14, 2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Sorry, I usually mix up which connector is named first when talking about adapters. So Simon, you think the 24" LED CD will not be accompanied by a refresh of the entire line?
Normally, you state the "source" or input signal first, the "destination" or output signal second, seen from the direction that information flows, or from computer to peripheral if there's no clear dominant direction.

So, a connector to join a DP-equipped computer (the signal source) to a DVI-equipped display (the destination), you want a DP-DVI adapter.

To connect a DVI computer to a DP display, you want DVI-DP.

I often use arrows to reduce ambiguity: "you want DVI->DP".

And yes, I firmly believe that Apple is willing to release a display that's not compatible with most existing computers. They did that before with both ADC and DVI. What it tells us is that it's almost guaranteed that all future Macs will have DP on them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
And yes, I firmly believe that Apple is willing to release a display that's not compatible with most existing computers.
Sure, right now. But their displays will be compatible with all Macs. Just wait for the new releases. One by one they will all end up with (M)DP.

They did that before with both ADC and DVI.
While ADC was really an Apple-only thing, DVI wasn't. Apple was early with DVI. So while there still was (and surprisingly still is!) a lot of VGA around in the PC world, after ADC the Mac world went straight to DVI and every Mac worked fine with every ACD. And although you still find many PC notebooks with only VGA output (which is outright moronic), any serious graphics output in the PC world is now DVI. So let's just say finally everybody ended up with DVI. Apple's screens worked with every Mac and pretty much any serious PC.

And I'm betting the same will happen with DP. Eventually it will become the computer video interface. Regardless of HDMI in the AV consumer area. And although for those of us with DVI Macs it might right now seem like a pain, in the end we will all be using the same common interface. Every Mac will connect to Apple's displays and even most PC wll eventually be able to use them. Apple will just have been a bit early.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 17, 2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Sure, right now. But their displays will be compatible with all Macs. Just wait for the new releases. One by one they will all end up with (M)DP.
Well... duh. But the fact that I said existing Macs should have made it obvious that future models were not being discussed.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2008, 12:48 PM

The point is we are in transition right now. There are "old" ACDs available for Macs that haven't yet been transitioned right now. Apple is still selling them.

There is a new display available for those who have a new Mac with the new port.

As new Macs come out they will have the new port. Expect new displays (certainly the 30") with the new port to follow.

Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2008, 07:36 PM

So, assuming they transition to all MDP at MWSF 09, then you are saying that my 4 month old $2,000 computer won't be compatible with ANY of the displays that very same company makes? I find that hard to believe. Apple will release some kind of adapter, but I wouldn't put it ast them to make it cost $200 or something insane.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2008, 06:54 AM

Personally I would be surprised not to see a DVI->MDP adapter or some way to hook up DVI Macs to new MDP displays.

But it is strange that although the display is already shipping there has been no mentioning of such an adapter at all.

Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2008, 05:11 PM

I don't see it as strange, as the DVI ACDs wtill exist. I will find it very strange and be very pissed off, however, if they move all displays to the LED format in January with still no mention of any adapters.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2008, 09:23 AM

Well the 23" ACD has just this week been EOL'ed.

Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2008, 04:57 PM

Yeah, but as long as they have the 20 and 30", its still stupid but not incredibly so. I understand them pushing us towards the new ones, but not giving any other option is unnacceptable. This is why I expect a ~$100 adapter if not more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules