Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > -= BEST of BEST sleeves and bags and other accessories =-

-= BEST of BEST sleeves and bags and other accessories =-
Christof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2001, 06:15 PM

Greetings!

I bought the Fastest config TiBook from the Apple Store... It's being assembled and... I love my Mac.

I've read an old (5-page) post about the various cases available for the TiBook. But, I'd like to hear more about the cool things for the TiBook.

I, personally, am looking for a nice sleeve and a nice backpack to put the sleeve in. (I want a Boblbee, but they're too expensive.) Suggestions?

I'm also looking for a beautiful (in regards to design and output) audio set-up for the TiBook. SoundSticks???

What about other cool accessories that you guys have seen on the market? TiBook-matching lights, TiBook-matching clothes... Let's go wild!!!

I want the sexiest TiBook... And, I want to hear what you've all done to your TiBook's, to make those peecee users glare at you with envy... =)

"Christof"

---------
Surgeon General's Warning: Rumors about Apple (and the new Digital Hub device) are hazardous for your health. Try to wait until Tuesday. =)

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2001, 06:26 PM

I to am waiting for my 667mhz Ti2...had been waiting for a while...

I got a nice bag at Timbuk2, they have a commuter bag that is nicely designed and comes in your choice of colors...
<www.timbuk2.com>

Also picked up a G4 sleeve from Waterfield bags, really nice in design and well made...since you are in the bay area you can get a sleeve at Rosai retail in potereo hill area...
<www.sfbags.com>

architects love nicely designed and fabricated items, think my Ti2 will fit nicely...

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2001, 06:45 PM

www.timbuk2.com

www.sfbags.com

also check out the powermate by griffin

www.griffintechnology.com

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2001, 08:10 PM

klipsch promedia 2.1's 4.1's or 5.1's are the best sound you are going to get with out setting up a whole system including reciever, blah, blah, blah.... i have the 2.1's and they beat the **** out of my neighbors 5-peice sony surround system...

Christof  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2001, 08:32 PM

Sleeves:

Is the waterfield designs sleeve the only "nice" sleeve on the market? I've been looking for something that protects, doesn't have a zipper that will scratch the sides of the TiBook, and something that is fairly inexpensive.

Bags:

I'm really looking for a nice ergonomically designed backpack. I'd love to have the Boblbee, but can't afford it. I really wouldn't want to have a messenger-like bag, just because it isn't good for your back.

Sound:

Does anyone know about Cambridge Soundworks? Is their microWorks any good?

Other things:

Small and comfortable mice, that look as sexy as the Apple Pro Mouse...
Nice "pads" to rest your TiBook on...
Other cool accessories...

Who has the ultimate TiBook!????

"Christof"
An old fart from the AI boards

---------
Surgeon General's Warning: Rumors about Apple (and the new Digital Hub device) are hazardous for your health. Try to wait until Tuesday. =)

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2001, 09:29 PM

The sleeve you need is this:

This is from www.macimports.com and the black one costs $39 plus shipping and the other colorful ones cost $49.

If you're looking for a two button mouse that is sexy enough to accompany your Ti, check this out:

[ 10-21-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2001, 09:44 PM

Cool mouse, but....

System Requirements

* Windows� 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000*
* Windows� 3.1 / DOS for basic functionality
or
* Macintosh� with Mac OS 8.6 and above excluding OS 10 (with USB port)
bummer.

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2001, 10:29 PM

Looking for a nice cd-rw drive so far the choices are:
vst smartdisk 8x cdrw - $259
boa ezquest 16x cdrw - $189
boa ezquest 24x cdrw - $239

like the size of the vst but also the speed of the ezquest....
A nicely designed drive will do it for me, any suggestions

also looking for a nice trackball, small yet functional, any thoughts

Danni
Oct 21, 2001, 10:40 PM

Check out Tom Bihn for sleeves. I ordered the miter but haven't got it yet. Will post when I get it.

Christof  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 12:33 AM

Anyone know about that screen protector thing? Like a mat? Possibly a silicon one...

"Christof"

----------
Tuesday is tomorrow... Think different. www.apple.com

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 05:43 PM

any thoughts on any good trackballs for the ti2 that complement the ti design,....I know kensington makes a wireless trackball,....but is there any other options

mismith
Oct 25, 2001, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Christof:
<STRONG>Sleeves:

Is the waterfield designs sleeve the only "nice" sleeve on the market? I've been looking for something that protects, doesn't have a zipper that will scratch the sides of the TiBook, and something that is fairly inexpensive.</STRONG>
I personally went with the timbuk2 sleeve.

I got mine about 2 weeks ago. It was one of the first designed specifically for the G4 (except for maybe waterfield), and has no zippers, no velcro; the comp sits vertically and has about .5 in padding all around. The top is held closed by a very cool looking strap and buckle. The handles are very soft and well padded, so it feels extremely light if you carry it by it self.

In a bag, the computer + sleeve takes up less space than my old thinkpad did with no case (that thing was a tank, i never carried it in a sleeve, and dropped at lease 5 times in a bag over 4 years and it kept on running). I have carried it in a backpack as well as my timbuk2 messenger bag (not everyone likes these). I will try to post some close up pictures.

mike

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2001, 03:57 PM

My reply on the Thread Best bag/carry case for TiBook?:
I started out with a Kensington Saddlebag. It was all right, I liked the feature that made it a handle-carried, shoulder strap, or backpack strap. It proved to be bulky for me, though. I accumulated a lot of junk in it (solely my own fault, heh). I was also using the Waterfield Designs sleevecase, which I still have for transporting just the Ti around (VERY good sleeve!). It comes in a vertical config now... ooooo...

So many months ago, I shopped around and settled on the Tom Bihn G4 Eclipse. VERY good bag, I love it. Small and very functional. I can fit my Visor, Rio, cables, and papers in it. Highly recommended.

The bag that they were advertising at the top of the MacNN forums looked good too, but it looks like the banner and link aren't working right now. Anyone have one?

<jwtseng>
Oct 26, 2001, 05:12 PM

Has anyone tried the LapDog found at www.sjdesign.com???

I have seen this before and think that it is a cool "work out of the bag" carrying case. I just wonder if it fits the Titanium?

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2001, 03:22 PM

OK, I finally remember the bag that was advertised in these here forums...

TiBag

This one looks cool... anyone here have one?

nick h
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2001, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Christof:
<STRONG>Greetings!

I bought the Fastest config TiBook from the Apple Store... It's being assembled and... I love my Mac.

I've read an old (5-page) post about the various cases available for the TiBook. But, I'd like to hear more about the cool things for the TiBook.

I, personally, am looking for a nice sleeve and a nice backpack to put the sleeve in. (I want a Boblbee, but they're too expensive.) Suggestions?

I'm also looking for a beautiful (in regards to design and output) audio set-up for the TiBook. SoundSticks???

What about other cool accessories that you guys have seen on the market? TiBook-matching lights, TiBook-matching clothes... Let's go wild!!!

I want the sexiest TiBook... And, I want to hear what you've all done to your TiBook's, to make those peecee users glare at you with envy... =)

"Christof"

---------
Surgeon General's Warning: Rumors about Apple (and the new Digital Hub device) are hazardous for your health. Try to wait until Tuesday. =)</STRONG>
Christof:

Perhaps I am wrong, but it sounds like you have a fairly unlimited budget, so I recommend the following for the best of the best:

-Either a Waterfield sleeve with whatever backpack you already got, or a Spire sleeve & backpack

-An Apple Pro Keyboard (its just has a really nice feel to it)

-An Apple Pro Mouse to match your keyboard, or Kensington makes a really nice mouse that you might like (I think it's blue in color and has 5 buttons) - reply if you are interested, and I'll look up what model mouse it is.

-Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 (I think the soundstick sound bad)

-Some nice headphone for personal listening.

-Get a fast external FireWire burner (I personally like the Yamaha FireWire model).

-Get a docking station (they are so convenient).

-Get an iPod...

-...a nice Palm Pilot...

-and an Airport setup.

-And, for the ultimate in "sexy" setups, stand a little Apple Cinema Display next to that Titanium masterpiece. Ooooh yeah!

Enjoy your dream machine. I envy you.

-Nick
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

<PookJP>
Oct 27, 2001, 06:38 PM

What was that awesome titanium suitcase mentioned on these boards a couple months ago? It looked like one of those metal breifcases used to carry electronic equipment, only much thinner. Was quite expensive too.

- Pook

Avenir
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2001, 02:32 PM

STM Lapback
STM lapback
STM lapback!!!!!!

get it, I love mine... can buy it at http://www.laptoptravel.com and MacNN even has a review with it's own forum topic linked...

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Leaping Gnome
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2001, 04:16 PM

Brenthaven has the best backpacks in my opinion, although they are a little expensive ($300 retail). Someone else mentioned headphones, if you're looking for some good, stylish headphones, check out the Bang and Olufsen A8s.

DeRobeHer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2001, 10:56 PM

Check out SpireUSA for backpacks that will fit the Titanium. I just got a second bag from them. I have Vurt shoulder bag for my Pismo 500, and an Icon backpack for my Titanium 667. Both are amazing. They also include a sleeve that can be carried seperatley, so there is no need to buy that from anyone else. The build quality on them is amazing. The Vurt is 2 years old, and besides a little traveling dirt, it looks and works as good as new.

I also have two "accessory cases" made by Port. They're perfect for holding batteries and drive bay drives (for the Pismo). I used to be able to get them at buy.com but I have no idea if they still cary them.
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

DeRobeHer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2001, 11:01 PM

I also have a Lacie PocketCDRW drive. Its not the fastest firewire CDRW available, but it is very rugged (the outside is blue rubber, looks nicer than it sounds). It is also bus powered firewire, so there is no need to cary around a power adapter. It also has a USB port on it, so you can burn files for someone that doesn't have a Firewire port. A power supply is required for USB use, and its is included. Works flawlessly with MacOS 9, X, and Windows 2000 (probably works on others too, just haven't tried it).

One thing it doesn't have it a low price tag. Ran me $399. But it hasn't made a coaster yet.
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

cbrg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2001, 11:23 AM

Anyone looking for a bag to put the Powerbook G4 or iBook in needs to go to http://www.bagreview.com.

They have all sorts of reviews. I had no idea that there were so many options for the Ti:G4.

There review and rate the bags. They also tell you what they normally carry so you can compare to what you carry.

Take a look.
--------------------------------------------
Chris Edwards
http://www.bagreview.com

Reviews asnd ratings of laptop bags, backpack, and messenger bags with attention to the Powerbook, Powerbook G4, iBook, iBook Dual USB

Forum Links
Forum Rules