Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > post ship times on new PBs

post ship times on new PBs (Page 2)
hook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2002, 07:54 PM

Damn, still being assembled. Can't believe people are already getting theirs shipped. Anybody notice how the "being assembled" and pre-shipping icon shows a 8500-9500 generation machine. I hope they're not sending me one of those by accident.

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2002, 08:03 PM

Ordered my 1 Ghz, SuperDrive, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB Drive this morning @ 6:30 CST, and it is still being reviewed.
3-4 weeks, and I'm already going crazy waiting. :o

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2002, 08:53 PM

It sure seems like this is the case, but it't still a few minutes before 5pm PST I suppose...and Fedex has no tracking info on their site yet.

Originally posted by justinkim:
Well, I hope our 'books made it off the dock at Apple for FedEx to actually start moving them out today. Apple can probably issue us the airbill #'s well before FedEx picks them up. It'd be a shame if they sat at the FedEx depot in Elk Grove all weekend.
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Christina:
It sure seems like this is the case, but it't still a few minutes before 5pm PST I suppose...and Fedex has no tracking info on their site yet.
There's probably a delay between FedEx picking up the 'books and the status getting updated on the site. I think I'll only loose hope if the status is still blank tomorrow morning.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2002, 10:45 PM

MINES BEING SHIPPED!! Sorry, I got a little excited. So on a 2 day express, not sure if it goes out today or Monday, but I guess by Tuesday I should have it! Cool.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

BlueStorm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 12:16 AM

I don't quite understand, but my order was confirmed at 7:59:46 Central 5:59 Pacific and mine is still listed as being assembled as of Friday Evening. I ordered a Powerbook G4 867 via the web.

I am hoping to see it next week, I did find it odd though that they were listing 1 days shipping times at order and when I got my confirmation is was like 3-5 days (I am assuming Business days)

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2002, 12:42 AM

I ordered mine on the web Wednesday and it was 5-7 days shipping. So it's nice to see it was shipped out today. However, it's not up on Fed Ex's web site yet, so I assume it got to Fed Ex after they shipped todays packages. Looks like it will go out Monday, so maybe I'll get it Wednesday.

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2002, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Eug:

By the way, I thought they usually ship FedEx Air anyway, even when you don't specify it. Or is that just sometimes?

I believe the fedex option is ground. They sent my APP out already and gave me a tracking number, and it is ground. I assume the same will be true for the computer.

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2002, 01:02 AM

It will most likely take 24 hours to get into fedex's system.

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2002, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
MINES BEING SHIPPED!! Sorry, I got a little excited. So on a 2 day express, not sure if it goes out today or Monday, but I guess by Tuesday I should have it! Cool.
Damn it. You got the combo, right? ****, I dunno what the hold up on mine is.. (I got the combo too), and mine still hasn't shipped. I ordered by phone early in the morning..

I had a few problems though (my CC company declined at first), because of security reasons. I usually don't buy 3,000+ dollars on it! So my card wasn't actually ran through until that night on the 6th (after I told my CC company to accept the mother******* order).

Hell, if it ships Monday, I will be happy. Well, not as happy as you little bastards!

kluau88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 02:03 AM

Ugh mine has gone from being assembled to being reviewed I guess it's time to give Apple a call tomorrow. I don't want to put a damper on everyone's weekend, but Monday is a holiday IIRC. Whether or not Apple or Fedex observes it is a different story. I know the post offic is closed as there was a sign on the door when I went there today.

YeLordWindsor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:

Damn it. You got the combo, right? ****, I dunno what the hold up on mine is.. (I got the combo too), and mine still hasn't shipped. I ordered by phone early in the morning..

I had a few problems though (my CC company declined at first), because of security reasons. I usually don't buy 3,000+ dollars on it! So my card wasn't actually ran through until that night on the 6th (after I told my CC company to accept the mother******* order).

Hell, if it ships Monday, I will be happy. Well, not as happy as you little bastards!
I just checked the status of my order, and it's been shipped. I'm sure yours will be shipped soon as well. Within a week, we'll have our hands on some fantastic new macs.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 09:07 AM

The Powerbooks are shipping from Taiwan... I have tracking info now, it left one city there, and went to another, and it's in transit again from the last one...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2002, 09:15 AM

The Powerbooks are shipping from Taiwan... I have tracking info now, it left one city there, and went to another, and it's in transit again from the last one...
From which city did it originate? Just wundrin'.

By the way, if anyone in Canada did NOT pay for expedited shipping, I'd be interested in hearing how it got to you and any fees you paid.

The guy told me it would be FedEx ground shipping. If true that could be problematic in several ways:

1) Slow.
2) Brokerage charges on some services. FedEx Air generally does not charge brokerage fees (although you still have to pay tax of course).
3) They are much less well organized it seems. (I believe FedEx simply bought another ground shipper to fill this part of their service.)

However, I haven't heard of anyone running into these problems. That's why I'm still thinking some people are getting things sent FedEx Air by default.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 09:19 AM

Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/09/2002 12:49 Future pickup/delivery requested

Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/09/2002 12:54

Arrived at FedEx RampTA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/09/2002 16:46

From which city did it originate? Just wundrin'.

By the way, if anyone in Canada didn't pay for expedited shipping, I'd be interested in hearing how it got to you and any fees you paid.

The guy told me it would be FedEx ground shipping. If true that could be problematic in two ways:

1) Slow.
2) Brokerage charges. FedEx Air does not charge brokerage fees (although you still have to pay tax of course).
3) They are much less well organized it seems. (I believe FedEx simply bought another ground shipper to fill this part of their service.)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2002, 09:32 AM

OK thanks. I believe those are all in Taipei (the capital), near the airport.

It seems you'll be getting the thing sooner rather than later.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2002, 10:46 AM

Doesn't sound like the Windy City....

I say Monday morning.... before 11:00AM
( Last edited by UnixMac; Nov 9, 2002 at 11:31 AM. )
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Karim
Senior User
Nov 9, 2002, 11:06 AM

Hopefully they won't delay it in Anchorage Alaska customs when it arrives from Taiwan for US delivery like they did to a bunch of us last year. Apparently to do with the LCD screens being some sort of import that needs to be checked. I don't remember what the actual specifics were.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2002, 11:14 AM

When I checked my shipping status on the FedEx site just now, I had a bit of a scare. The shipping destination was listed as Indianapolis, IN which is nowhere near where I live. FedEx assured me that Indianapolis was where the package would clear customs and that the delivery location line would change once it was out of customs.

Anyone see similar information on their FedEx tracking page?

Danni
Nov 9, 2002, 11:40 AM

When I checked my shipping status on the FedEx site just now, I had a bit of a scare. The shipping destination was listed as Indianapolis, IN which is nowhere near where I live. FedEx assured me that Indianapolis was where the package would clear customs and that the delivery location line would change once it was out of customs.
The same thing happened to me last year. It went all over Canada before finally heading back to the final destination. Nothing like knowing that your powerbook just flew over your head heading away from you!

Danni

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 12:42 PM

Same here, I think it is normal. Mine now has this last addition:
Package status C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 11/09/2002 21:34

Hope that means it's over the Pacific now.

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2002, 02:43 PM

Same here, I think it is normal. Mine now has this last addition:
Package status C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 11/09/2002 21:34

Hope that means it's over the Pacific now.

I just had a flash back of the movie Castaway. I hope nothing happens to that fedex plane like it did in the movie (I can just see the container blowing out the back of the airplane).. oh the humanity.

YeLordWindsor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 03:05 PM

Whew, I'm glad someone else saw the Indianapolis, IN, destination. I was assuming that it was related to where the package would go through customs, but I wasn't 100% sure. Hmmm...so now the two critical questions are: 1) when will the package arrive in Indiana?; 2) how long will it take for the package to go from Indianapolis to Boston?

Only FedEx knows. Only FedEx knows.

One interesting tidbit of information is that I called Apple yesterday and was told that the estimated shipping date (note: not arrival date) was Nov. 18-20. Haha. I was pleasantly surprised when it shipped yesterday.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2002, 03:30 PM

1GHz/Superdrive model ordered through the online store with the Higher Ed. discount the day they were released. Called Apple for an update and they said the 3-4 week expected wait was still in effect on this model. In my experience ordering with the educational discount, it always seems to take at least a month for me to get the hardware if I order it the day it's released. (Ti667, Rev. C iMac, and this TiBook) Looks like another long wait, but it's worth it!

remohomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 03:31 PM

Here is my experience after buying two iMacs online and most recently a PB 1G w/Superdrive + accessories. Your mileage may (or may have) vary.

The estimated ship dates are the worst case. I believe my 17" iMac was stated as 2-3 weeks, but I received it in just one.

Also, when shipping (1-2 day express), from the Elk Grove distribution center the items show shipped, but may or may not show up with FedEx that same day. Not sure why--may be they don't get to the dock for some reason. By the next day, they are picked up by FedEx.

Anything that comes from Taiwan directly (17" iMac, probably new PB), goes in Indianapolis to clear customs (already established in earlier post), then on to recipient in 1-2 days with express shipping.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2002, 05:20 PM

Anything that comes from Taiwan directly (17" iMac, probably new PB), goes in Indianapolis to clear customs (already established in earlier post), then on to recipient in 1-2 days with express shipping.
That's whether you've paid for express or not right? That's what I figured. Oh well whatever.

remohomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 05:32 PM

That's whether you've paid for express or not right? That's what I figured. Oh well whatever.
I always payed the extra $20 for express.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 05:35 PM

Figures... and I have a work at home day on Monday. Guess I get to drop by the local Fedex office and pick up a package they won't be able to deliver Tuesday or Wednesday.

Originally posted by remohomer:

I always payed the extra $20 for express.

cowerd
Senior User
Nov 9, 2002, 08:53 PM

I don't think anything is being delivered on Monday--Veteran's Day, Fed Holiday.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by cowerd:
I don't think anything is being delivered on Monday--Veteran's Day, Fed Holiday.
Which also means that our packages might not clear customs until Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest. I presume they won't be looked at tomorrow (Sunday).

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2002, 10:58 PM

According to Fed Ex's page, their next holiday is Thanksgiving
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2002, 11:55 PM

So no one has gotten their 1gz Ti yet right? I marched into the Apple store today and demanded one but all they could offer me is an 867 or an 'old' 800 or 667. Very temptingly priced too, but there is something sooooooo nice about all those gig's in the specs. Must have. I placed my order on the Apple site today!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2002, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
According to Fed Ex's page, their next holiday is Thanksgiving
Called and asked FedEx if the holiday would be delaying processing through customs. Apparently, Veteran's day isn't a holiday for the fine very hard working people in the U.S. Customs Service and there shouldn't be any delay. Woo-hoo!

I hate waiting. Instant gratification all the way
( Last edited by justinkim; Nov 10, 2002 at 12:08 AM. )

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2002, 12:10 AM

So I guess the possible "wrench thrown in our gears" is the U.S. Customs Service. Anyone know if they run seven days a week? I guess we'll know in a few hours. I hate waiting. Instant gratification all the way
No. Like most businesses, they count business days. Almost no one delivers in the weekend, so it doesn't make sense for them to open during the weekend.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2002, 03:13 PM

To continue the saga...

Those of us w/packages in transit should have your real address listed as the destination now. The Books left Taiwan a while ago.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2002, 09:59 PM

Mine left the Anchorage, AK sorting facility at 3:00 this afternoon, two hours before it left Taiwan (gotta love the international date line).

YeLordWindsor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2002, 10:16 PM

Why Anchorage? I thought that Indianapolis was the destination. Where do you think it'll end up next?

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2002, 10:23 PM

Well, hopefully somewhere near me and not Timbuktu!

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2002, 10:31 PM

Well, it is in transit. The first stop in the US doesn't have to be the Customs one, either.

I've had international flights where I've changed planes in LAX, but I went through customs in O'Hare. I'm sure its similar for packages...but who knows.

Originally posted by YeLordWindsor:
Why Anchorage? I thought that Indianapolis was the destination. Where do you think it'll end up next?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2002, 09:33 AM

Those of us w/packages in transit should have your real address listed as the destination now. The Books left Taiwan a while ago.
So my SuperDrive TiBook is still being assembled. (Ordered 11 am California time the first day it was out.)

I wonder what the deal is with these drives that necessitated them specifying a 3-4 week wait period.

I envy you Hikari... eerrr... I mean Christina.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 10:50 AM

It happens that our machines will be clearing customs in Anchorage, after all. FedEx told me this morning that there is a possibility that the machines could clear later this afternoon, but the best they could say is that it looks like they could be delivered to us later this week.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 11:23 AM

Mine left Anchorage yesterday. So hopefully Tuesday I'll get it.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 11:35 AM

Mine left the Anchorage sort facility yesterday, that's why I thought it hadn't actually gone through customs yet... Still no update since then, though.

It happens that our machines will be clearing customs in Anchorage, after all. FedEx told me this morning that there is a possibility that the machines could clear later this afternoon, but the best they could say is that it looks like they could be delivered to us later this week.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 11:37 AM

Mine left Anchorage yesterday. So hopefully Tuesday I'll get it.
Mine also lists as Left FedEx Sort FacilityANCHORAGE AK but apparently hasn't cleared customs yet. Sigh.

emerrill
Nov 11, 2002, 01:27 PM

You guys can use this program I wrote to notify you when your fedex page changes (for us who have the habit of continiously checking...)

http://www.deepthought.org/~emerrill...ateChecker.sit

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by emerrill:
You guys can use this program I wrote to notify you when your fedex page changes (for us who have the habit of continiously checking...)

http://www.deepthought.org/~emerrill...ateChecker.sit
I'm trying it but you don't get a URL with the tracking code info in it. It's just a defualt /tracking url, won't work I don't think. What's the best way to get the url? Grab it off of the source?

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 02:32 PM

Enter the tracking info on the main Fedex page. Then on the results page, copy and paste the new URL you'll have at top. That one has a direct link to the tracking for your specific number. Make sense?

I'm trying it but you don't get a URL with the tracking code info in it. It's just a defualt /tracking url, won't work I don't think. What's the best way to get the url? Grab it off of the source?

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 03:16 PM

That's what I did the first time but for some reason I had a different URL. It worked right this time.

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 03:27 PM

Any ADC 1ghz Combo buyers already have theirs shipped? I ordered mine on 11/8 and I called them today and they said that they will be shipped on 11/18. They said that the superdrive orders will take alot longer like the first or second week of december.

kluau88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by jambajooz:
Any ADC 1ghz Combo buyers already have theirs shipped? I ordered mine on 11/8 and I called them today and they said that they will be shipped on 11/18. They said that the superdrive orders will take alot longer like the first or second week of december.
Ordered mine on Wednesday and am told it will ship between November 14 and 18. I guess time will tell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules