Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What's *next* for the PowerBook line???

What's *next* for the PowerBook line???
jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2002, 05:07 PM

I know, all of you are going to kill me...the Gigahertz Titanium just came out not even a week ago and I'm already thinking ahead! Well, I just had the pleasure of selling my Ti800 to a real in-the-flesh PC-to-Mac switcher, and that clears the way for a new purchase for me! Over the last two years, I have owned the 400, 667, and 800 TiBooks and I can honestly say that each one showed improvements on the last. I'm not quite sure how much more improvement they can pack into that awesome form-factor, but history tells me that the NEXT powerbook is somewhere just around the corner.

So to start the speculation and rumor mill going again, what's next for the powerbook? When? Is there anything coming at MWSF?

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2002, 07:49 PM

Well, I don't think anyone here really knows what will come next - but its fun to guess!

Here are some things I am hoping for (even though I will still be happy with my 1ghz powerbook by the time they are out)

- The lcd does not get any larger. Some of these new wintel laptops have 16 inch screens, its crazy! The idea is to be portable, afterall.

- DDR Ram, faster system bus, faster processor

- USB 2, new Firewire. This is overdue with the USB2, if I'm not mistaken.

- Bluetooth integrated, Airport advanced. Maybe a memory card slot for differant types of media like that from a digital camera.

- Smaller and thinner is always good too. Just under 5 pounds sounds alright.

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2002, 10:30 PM

I was thinking along the lines of Black Titanium.
Oh, Apple please do something about the carbon fiber bezel around the edge of the laptop... stop the paint peeling oh god please stop it!!!

I pray to you apple, make the paint demons go away!!!
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2002, 10:42 PM

I have a rough idea of what's coming out next, but I will not share until months from now.

I think this thread serves no purpose. Order a PowerBook now.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2002, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I have a rough idea of what's coming out next, but I will not share until months from now.

Until that post I almost felt sorry for you but now you are just being an instigator. Saying that you have an idea of whats coming next but that you won't share is only asking for trouble. So I suggest 1 of 2 things... either don't play the victim when people make personal attacks against you about your age or whatnot or keep your hole shut. You can't have your cake and eat it to. You're worse than my kid sister and brother that do the whole "I know something you don't know...wanna know? Tough I'm not telling you!" Oh that's right! You're the same age as my kid brother... guess that explains it.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

Kestral
Senior User
Nov 10, 2002, 11:09 PM

I agree with DigitalDNA. Put up or shut up, that's how adults handle things. Otherwise, you're just a little boy.

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2002, 11:43 PM

A little testy today Sean??

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 01:24 AM

Anybody who has seen any of my posts regarding this issue may know that I have claimed that the next PB will be a BIG upgrade. That being said, I'm ordering the current one with a superdrive even though I feel it is the last of it's breed. The 1Ghz powerbook is a great upgrade but obviously doesn't have all the latest technologies Apple has already started to embrace (i.e. DDR memory, more system memory, dual processors, faster RPM drives, and Bluetooth). We're yet to see the AirPort reception, but my guess is that it may be better than the 667 & 800, but not as good as it could be. Most of these are all small issues to me. I don't mind using the D-Link adapter, since Bluetooth is not part of my everyday tasks. (I do think that Bluetooth will be big for Apple when it matures). AirPort reception is fine on my 800Mhz - I don't live in a big house, and plug in to the network at work. I haven't experienced the benefits of faster DDR ram, so I'm not sure about that yet - OS X will probably love it. More memory and the possibility of dual processors would be great - especially using OS X and Photoshop. Dual processors would not happen in the current form. Can you say HOT. Faster hard drives would be a benefit to opening and saving big PSD files. Will the next PB have all this? Who knows on this side. I'm living for the now and I will be quite happy with today's dream machine. Can't wait to get it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by skyman:

A little testy today Sean??
Yes, very testy.

Threads like these piss me off. New PowerBooks aren't going to come out until July. They're going to use the same enclosure. Big deal.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 04:54 AM

Well, rumor threads are fine. However, as evinced by the author's words, people are going to kill him for posting a thread like this so early.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2002, 08:59 AM

(i.e. DDR memory, more system memory, dual processors, faster RPM drives, and Bluetooth)
1) DDR memory will require a new CPU.
2) Dual processors in a laptop? I doubt it. I hope not anyway. If they did, it'd really mean they were gasping for air.
3) They already had a faster RPM drive, but got rid of it. And you can still buy one if you want, 3rd party.
4) Bluetooth? I wonder why everyone keeps harping on it? It'd be a bonus, but as far as I'm concerned it's not a big deal. It's even less of a deal considering that a small USB one is already available.

That's not to say some of this won't occur. However, I'm thinking if it does, it won't be the TiBook we know.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Eug:

That's not to say some of this won't occur. However, I'm thinking if it does, it won't be the TiBook we know.
Exactly. I'm not claimiing specs here. But the next PB will be one to drool about for many reasons. Still, if you want to upgrade, don't wait.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:

Exactly. I'm not claimiing specs here. But the next PB will be one to drool about for many reasons. Still, if you want to upgrade, don't wait.
No, I know for a fact that it will not be. This is the most major TiBook upgrade we're going to see.

Then again, if you can't afford this one, there's no point in lusting after it. Dreaming about future PowerBooks might be more appealing than admiring what you cannot have at the moment.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 02:04 PM

Dreaming about future PowerBooks might be more appealing than admiring what you cannot have at the moment.
Well said sean.
Am I still here?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2002, 02:42 PM

JayTi -- I'm not sure how to take that -- coming from someone with three or four cinema displays, it sounds a bit like you are looking down on those less fortunate than you.

And Sean, sure this thread is little redundant and early, but most people can't afford to buy a new computer every time Apple refreshes the line, and I think it is a legitimate question (if one that can't be answered).

And the whole "I've got inside info and boy is it juicy, but I won't tell" thing is getting old. Either tell what you know or don't say anything.

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 03:43 PM

Oh, c'mon Sean... share a little with us...

As far as your thinking that this thread serves no purpose....the fact that you grace this thread with your comments speaks for itself, and the number of replies also speaks to the relevance and interest of this thread.
( Last edited by jwtseng; Nov 11, 2002 at 07:22 PM. )

Sawtooth2000
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 04:36 PM

1.0 and 1.25 GHz
integrated bluetooth
prices back to $2499 and $3199

released July 2002

Next major PowerBook revision (new enclosure) January 2004.

My estimate.

msykes
Senior User
Nov 11, 2002, 04:48 PM

No, I know for a fact that it will not be. This is the most major TiBook upgrade we're going to see.
First of all, I for one am happy speculation has already begun. Having bought the 800DVI, well I'm certainly not upgrading for awhile, so speculating is way more fun for me than thinking about buying a minor upgrade.

As for the whole "Sean this, Sean that" debate, Sean I have some advice for you: Stop using words like "fact". They aren't facts, they aren't guarantees. You may well as the best insider information of anyone on this board, but it's still just insider information until the products are released. I think the absolutist tone of your posts is unwarranted, and contributes to the animosity towards you.

I know I'm going to be happy the day you learn to incorporate "probably" or "almost certainly" as terms in your rumor vocabulary.

acadian
Senior User
Nov 11, 2002, 04:57 PM

My guess:

Macworld January - Minor enhancement with higher screen res, bluetooth, and possibly faster HD's

Next major revamp - G5 with new enclosure

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 05:16 PM

wishful thinking:

ADC connector, to replace the DVI. That way, you can plug in an Apple Cinema Display HD without any extra cords or any expensive DVI-to-ADC adapters. And if you need to plug in a DVI display, you can use a much cheaper ADC-to-DVI adapter. Apple shoulda did this in the first place.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Un-Inferior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by acadian:
My guess:

Macworld January - Minor enhancement with higher screen res, bluetooth, and possibly faster HD's

Next major revamp - G5 with new enclosure
apple has updates every 6-9 months. i doubt there will be revisions in 2 months. if you're making a joke, nevermind.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by himself:
wishful thinking:

ADC connector, to replace the DVI. That way, you can plug in an Apple Cinema Display HD without any extra cords or any expensive DVI-to-ADC adapters. And if you need to plug in a DVI display, you can use a much cheaper ADC-to-DVI adapter. Apple shoulda did this in the first place.
ADC? Well, it wouldn't work, because the laptop couldn't power the screen.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 05:37 PM

Sean,

I think the majority of Mac users in these forums feel that Apple is on the cusp of something big that will make everything we know about the current Mac hardware massively outdated. And I think everyone wants to be apart of that "something big" considering some of us cannot afford to upgrade every revision. This is why you see all the rabid curiosity and pleading for dirt from "those in the know."
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 05:54 PM

ADC? Well, it wouldn't work, because the laptop couldn't power the screen.
Of course it could, as long as the 'Book is plugged in. I don't know of anyone who had their 'Book plugged into an external monitor whle running on the battery (not that it probably doesn't happen...)
-John Crichton

beefstu01
Nov 11, 2002, 06:08 PM

...and I wonder how Doom III will play on that new TiBook. It'll probably still have the Radeon 9000, so yeah sean, we'll ONLY be getting 20 FPS on a game that doesn't exist yet for the mac, which you somehow have (you still haven't told me how you have your hands on that game for the mac... the leaked alpha was PC).

</sarcasm>

Anywho, I'm tossed up. There are things that I'd like to see, and there are things that I bet won't come around.

Things that I'd like-
New Airport using the 802.11b or 802.11g standard(Hell, that might come from MWSF. Who knows?)

Internal bluetooth (Strong possibility. Apple has already filed the FCC papers. I'll dig up the url of the pdf's from the FCC that have the test information.)

DDR RAM (with the optimized G4)

5400RPM drives (IBM Travelstar with pixie dust tech... 80+ gigs buddy)

Firewire2 (yep, and hell, why not have two fire wire ports?)

USB2 (Say what you will, but why not have the latest revision? A lot of stuff is using USB, and possily USB2. Not everybody is going to switch over to Firewire)

Faster Superdrive (that's a given)

Faster version of X/more customizeable (not to say that 10.2 isn't fast already, but there was a nice aricle on slashdot the other day. I agree, less eyecandy and more BOOM, launch that application fast. Maybe preloading frequently used programs)

Better processer (.13 microns. C'mon motorola, you can do that!)

That said, I'm probably going to have to wait til hell freezes over to get all of it. Myself, well, I personally think it'd be good for Apple to release these in May/June. Why? You'll grab all the soon-to-be college students who don't have a computer. They'll get the best possible system BEFORE the school year comes around, and won't leave people waiting til mid first semester, or even end of first semester, to get a laptop.

That's my predicament. I want a laptop that will last me for about 3 years. I would have bought the Ti now, but I realized that the 4200RPM disks aren't that appealing. Sure I could replace the HD, but why? I am a computer guru, so replacing that would be easy, however the cost is what I'm not too thrilled about.

Say what you will, I'm not friggin rich and able to piss away money left and right. I'm waiting til May then buying the laptop. My bets are that the new rev of powerbooks will be released then. The Ti design is nice, but old, and somewhat non practical. WiFi reception needs to go up, and the Ti casing won't let that happen. I love how thin it is, but that thinness comes at a price. I've got two friends who have warped Ti screens. Oh well, I baby my machines, so that won't be a problem.

</long post>

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2002, 06:09 PM

Of course it could, as long as the 'Book is plugged in. I don't know of anyone who had their 'Book plugged into an external monitor whle running on the battery (not that it probably doesn't happen...)
Well, that would mean:

1) Bulkier AC adapter to provide enough power for ADC.
2) Everyone has to remember to keep the iBook plugged in all the time when connected to an ADC screen.

That seems like a pain in the @ss. It makes a lot more sense to have a DVI -> ADC converter next to the screen. If you decide you want to use it.

Personally, I'd much rather have DVI, with a VGA connector. In fact, I don't much care for ADC on a desktop Mac either, but it's OK, because they include DVI connectors as well (along with the DVI -> VGA connector).

domymel
Nov 11, 2002, 06:59 PM

Whats going on guys? The new books are out!
We don�t even know their performance yet, cause they haven�t shipped yet (Superdrive)!
Still people are not satisfied. And what do they give as their reasons? They always want the best. I can understand that, but maybe you should start asking yourself if you want a computer too get work done or wheather you should try and get a social life instead of just posting 24/7 on this forum.
These PB�s are more than most of us expected or even hoped for. Someone who says he wants DDR and faster drives, for example in the next revision and hopes to see that by June/July should consider that by then there will be new features. And then he starts posting "ooh, I want this and that". And he�s never gonna buy anything.
I don�t know anybody who couldn�t do all his work with the current PB line and still people seem to indicate that the PB�s are not perfect yet- they never will!!!
But what they are today is great, at least for me

cowerd
Senior User
Nov 11, 2002, 07:27 PM

I think the majority of Mac users in these forums feel that Apple is on the cusp of something big that will make everything we know about the current Mac hardware massively outdated. And I think everyone wants to be apart of that "something big" considering some of us cannot afford to upgrade every revision. This is why you see all the rabid curiosity and pleading for dirt from "those in the know."
The majority of Mac users on these boards always feel that Apple is on the cusp of something big.

That's why we have MacWorld expos and anger management courses.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

beefstu01
Nov 11, 2002, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by domymel:
Whats going on guys? The new books are out!
We don�t even know their performance yet, cause they haven�t shipped yet (Superdrive)!
Still people are not satisfied. And what do they give as their reasons? They always want the best. I can understand that, but maybe you should start asking yourself if you want a computer too get work done or wheather you should try and get a social life instead of just posting 24/7 on this forum.
These PB�s are more than most of us expected or even hoped for. Someone who says he wants DDR and faster drives, for example in the next revision and hopes to see that by June/July should consider that by then there will be new features. And then he starts posting "ooh, I want this and that". And he�s never gonna buy anything.
I don�t know anybody who couldn�t do all his work with the current PB line and still people seem to indicate that the PB�s are not perfect yet- they never will!!!
But what they are today is great, at least for me
Au contrare, mon ami.

Read a bit closer to my post and I said that I'm holding off until May because I don't need a laptop til then, and maybe these things will come about then. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to speculate about what will be in the powerbook when I get it?

Half of the fun of apple is guessing what their next move will be. I, for one, will guarntee you that I will buy a powerbook come June/July. Why? For the simple reason that I will be needing one THEN, not now, and that I'd really like to know/speculate what I'll be getting.

Dunno if you targeted me in that post of yours, sorry if you didn't, but hell, let's all start guessing what's gonna happen. It'll keep those of us who want a powerbook later (because we can't afford one now/don't need one now) amused. I said I'd like this and that, but if it doesn't come, I'll still buy it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 08:37 PM

Seeing as though there's interest, I'll share what I've heard so far.

The next PowerBook will still feature a titanium enclosure. It will come in 933-megahertz and 1.13-gigahertz configurations. There won't be a major graphics update, and the SuperDrive will still remain an option. It might come with DDR memory, but then again, it might not. I've heard that the graphics card might be standardized at 64 megabytes, though.

From what I've heard, Apple has a combination Bluetooth/AirPort card in the works. Perhaps this will appear in the next 'Books. My information will get substantially clearer as time goes by. I've heard dates ranging from May to July. Things will get more definite later.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by jwtseng:

Oh, c'mon Sean... share a little with us...

As far as your thinking that this thread serves no purpose....the fact that you grace this thread with your comments speaks for itself, and the number of replies also speaks to the relevance and interest of this thread.
Wow if that wasn't blatent ego stroking for self serving purposes I don't know what is
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 09:07 PM

Ahh...re-read my original post. especially the "last of breed" part.

Karim
Senior User
Nov 11, 2002, 09:27 PM

That would be great if Apple came out with a combi card 802.11/Bluetooth. Hopefully even backwards compatible so that you could pull your old 802.11 only card and replace it and suddenly have both.

Technically should be possible, same card interface, generic antenna connector. The card has the transceiver.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
That would be great if Apple came out with a combi card 802.11/Bluetooth. Hopefully even backwards compatible so that you could pull your old 802.11 only card and replace it and suddenly have both.

Technically should be possible, same card interface, generic antenna connector. The card has the transceiver.
That's what I'm hoping for. I think this would be a good move for apple because then any system supporting airport would support Bluetooth. They'd sell a lot more new airport cards than new equipment if Bluetooth was the only thing to be added to the new equipment.

nightjar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 10:54 PM

The Motorola 7457 will be in production 2Q next year.

With an available core voltage of 1.0 volt, it has a power consumption half that of the 7455 inside the new 1 gig PB. (7.5 watts @ 1067MHz, versus 15 watts)

Cooler, longer battery life... faster bus too.

This should be put into use ASAP.

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 03:41 AM

Even if adding ADC to a 'Book meant more power to supply, that doesn't necessarily require a larger power brick. It may need to be reworked, but not bigger. Even if it were to get bigger, it wouldn't have to be by much.

And seeing how most ADC displays on the market now are LCD's, the power draw shouldn't be too great. All CRT ADC displays on the market have plain DVI connections by default (with the exception of apple's original ADC CRT), so there is an option there if someone really needed one.

And like I said earlier, I don't know of too many folks who hook up to an external display for extended work without pluggin into AC power. It's not a matter of �remembering� to plug your 'Book in, laptop users typically know to do it in the first place. Like plugging in the AC cord takes that much more effort than plugging in an external display...

but, like I said in the first post on this sub-thread, this is just wishful thinking. It's the only somewhat significant detail that I could think of to change on the PB's. otherwise, it's all gravy...

Well, that would mean:

1) Bulkier AC adapter to provide enough power for ADC.
2) Everyone has to remember to keep the iBook plugged in all the time when connected to an ADC screen.

That seems like a pain in the @ss. It makes a lot more sense to have a DVI -> ADC converter next to the screen. If you decide you want to use it.

Personally, I'd much rather have DVI, with a VGA connector. In fact, I don't much care for ADC on a desktop Mac either, but it's OK, because they include DVI connectors as well (along with the DVI -> VGA connector).
-John Crichton

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 09:16 AM

Even if adding ADC to a 'Book meant more power to supply, that doesn't necessarily require a larger power brick. It may need to be reworked, but not bigger. Even if it were to get bigger, it wouldn't have to be by much.

And seeing how most ADC displays on the market now are LCD's, the power draw shouldn't be too great. All CRT ADC displays on the market have plain DVI connections by default (with the exception of apple's original ADC CRT), so there is an option there if someone really needed one.

And like I said earlier, I don't know of too many folks who hook up to an external display for extended work without pluggin into AC power. It's not a matter of �remembering� to plug your 'Book in, laptop users typically know to do it in the first place. Like plugging in the AC cord takes that much more effort than plugging in an external display...

but, like I said in the first post on this sub-thread, this is just wishful thinking. It's the only somewhat significant detail that I could think of to change on the PB's. otherwise, it's all gravy...

Some random thoughts.

Apple LCDs range from 50W to 70W.

I often will take my laptop to a colleagues office or whatever (with an adapter cable) to show stuff, and don't always need to get under my desk to unplug the power cable to bring it, since I'll only need to be there 15 minutes.

Thus, I think Apple made a conscious decision (which I think is the right one), to exclude ADC from laptops.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 10:22 AM

Seeing as though there's interest, I'll share what I've heard so far.

The next PowerBook will still feature a titanium enclosure. It will come in 933-megahertz and 1.13-gigahertz configurations. There won't be a major graphics update, and the SuperDrive will still remain an option. It might come with DDR memory, but then again, it might not. I've heard that the graphics card might be standardized at 64 megabytes, though.

From what I've heard, Apple has a combination Bluetooth/AirPort card in the works. Perhaps this will appear in the next 'Books. My information will get substantially clearer as time goes by. I've heard dates ranging from May to July. Things will get more definite later.
And anyone who's gonna wait around for 7 months for that is a fool! Sean, some people will just never be happy. There's a saying here that fits very well....

"$hit or get off the pot!"
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2002, 11:11 AM

Meaning what, that everyone either has to buy a powerbook right now or give up the idea of ever buying one? I'm glad that you can afford to get a new machine, but why do you have to be so intolerant of those who can't, or who want to wait for something even better than the current models? In my opinion people are not complaining about the current models -- if anything this updated has made me more optimistic about what might be coming a few months down the road. So be happy with your new machine and let those who want to discuss future models alone.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Meaning what, that everyone either has to buy a powerbook right now or give up the idea of ever buying one? I'm glad that you can afford to get a new machine, but why do you have to be so intolerant of those who can't, or who want to wait for something even better than the current models? In my opinion people are not complaining about the current models -- if anything this updated has made me more optimistic about what might be coming a few months down the road. So be happy with your new machine and let those who want to discuss future models alone.
Sorry, not trying to be intolerant of anyone....just sick of people hammering Sean who is doing more to give us good info than all other members combined. I am saying that if you were waiting for a revision to buy, this is the time..... if you are happy with what you have..... all the better.... if you can't afford it, then wait and save, and you'll be even happier when that day comes.

but IF you have the $$$ now.......... $hit or get of the pot!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 11:19 AM

Weird attitude to suggest that those who can't buy now should just be quiet. (This post is not directed at anybody in particular, just in general.)

The first day it was announced, I ordered a top-of-the-line TiBook. I agree that now is a good time to buy. I also agree that speculation at this time might be somewhat premature. Nonetheless, I still see nothing wrong with speculating on the next iteration. This is a PowerBook forum after all. If you don't want to hear any new speculation then don't read this thread.

And, I see nothing wrong either with people wanting to wait for the next iteration before buying. For someone with a relatively recent TiBook or even iBook, waiting might make a lot of sense, even if s/he has the money to buy a new machine.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 11:49 AM

Weird attitude to suggest that those who can't buy now should just be quiet. (This post is not directed at anybody in particular, just in general.)

The first day it was announced, I ordered a top-of-the-line TiBook. I agree that now is a good time to buy. I also agree that speculation at this time might be somewhat premature. Nonetheless, I still see nothing wrong with speculating on the next iteration. This is a PowerBook forum after all. If you don't want to hear any new speculation then don't read this thread.

And, I see nothing wrong either with people wanting to wait for the next iteration before buying. For someone with a relatively recent TiBook or even iBook, waiting might make a lot of sense, even if s/he has the money to buy a new machine.
I agree with all of that..... just not the Sean Bashing... End of discussion (for me)
Apple user since 1981

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 11:58 AM

I'll add my worthless comment to the thread. Agreed on the speculation. If you don't want to read about speculation, don't. The thread title is pretty clear to me.

Also, please don't bash people. There really is no need. If people have a problem with someone, there is no need to bash. If you reallyo feel the need, send a private message... My 2 cents.

That said, no ideas on updates myself. I think Firewire2 and USB2 would be nice, as would bluetooth. That way We can have the superior Firewire2, and the slower USB2... I know I'd use the firewire instead in that case if there was a peripheral for it.

I doubt I upgrade for a while, at least not until something neat like a 970 is in a laptop some day.

Christina
Originally posted by UnixMac:

I agree with all of that..... just not the Sean Bashing... End of discussion (for me)
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 11:26 PM

What Sean bashing? He baited everyone with knowledge that he had, he implied that he couldn't tell (by threat of what was left up to our imaginations), and then after people calling him on his tactics, he gives up the kitty and let's us in on his 'information'.

Whoever said it before was correct, this is just straight up immaturity at work. I am always amazed at how people strive to hold and wield whatever power they can get their hands on. From your favorite dictator, to the day-guard at a local business, to a kid on a mac forum, it's always the same vice.

Thanks for the info Sean, but next time if you don't like the thread, choose to look away rather then punish. Many of us like to fantasize about what will come.

g

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2002, 01:09 AM

If you see through the eloquent wording of "shatten22," you will see a post with no purpose other than a careful attempt to villanize my actions. In direct rebuttal, I am not in approval of my name being mentioned in the same context and worth as "your favorite dictator." Power's not my vice. In fact, I'm sure we've all been victims of petty people who make every attempt to assert their position of power.

Equally bad are "moral high ground heroes" who play the victim of nonexistent injustice. (Hint, hint. That would be you, "shatten22.") Simply put, moral high ground heroes such as he and anyone else who wants to critisize me are not adding anything constructive but merely wasting their own time.

My exact words were that I had "a rough idea of what's coming out next, but I will not share until months from now." I said that with good reason. Why, you ask? It was a power play! I want you guys to be left in the dark so you can worship me like a god when my magical predictions come true.

Of course not. I did not want to share because one, I did not feel my information was even remotely accurate as of then and two, because I do not believe in talking about future releases this early. When we wait for a release, Apple loses money. I think everyone I "saved" from buying a machine that was being cleared out have won out on this proposition. Apple lost the extra cash and higher profit margins it could have made on the outgoing model while they still could sell it for $3,199. I do not believe it is right to get prospective buyers riled up about a new release this early. It is not only bad for Apple, but bad for them because they're going to become apprehensive about plopping money down for something they obviously need or want and will enjoy.

So basically, "Sean-bashing" in this case could have been averted if I had decided not to share what I had heard. I could have retained my position and kept my mouth shut. I did not. Perhaps I should not waste my free time here anymore.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but I don't feel I have any "powers" here. I do not revel in the fact that I have a good reputation here and that people think me a reliable source for future PowerBook information. I post here because I help people. There is not a "going rate" for PowerBook forum posts from me. Really, if you look at it, what use is a good reputation on an on-line forum in the long run? No tangible value whatsoever.

I'm not perfect. Admittedly, I did change my position about sharing anything I heard. You guys made it clear that you would be happy with lackluster information, so I posted what I knew. Originally, I was restraining myself from posting because information about tomorrow's product from today is highly inaccurate. It's barely on the drawing board let alone near or definite enough for us to begin speculating or asking for information about it. The bottom line is, I mean well.

I have never made age a big deal. "Sean-bashers" who mention it as anything of importance are only trying to cheaply win points and again, demean my reputation here.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2002, 01:15 AM

I believe "shatten22" would have brought up a good point if I had been notorious for holding things over you guys' heads. It would have been a good argument if that had been my clear intent. However, I just feel he is blurring facts with incorrect portrayal of my words.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Nov 13, 2002, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by shatten22:
What Sean bashing? He baited everyone with knowledge that he had, he implied that he couldn't tell (by threat of what was left up to our imaginations), and then after people calling him on his tactics, he gives up the kitty and let's us in on his 'information'.

Whoever said it before was correct, this is just straight up immaturity at work. I am always amazed at how people strive to hold and wield whatever power they can get their hands on. From your favorite dictator, to the day-guard at a local business, to a kid on a mac forum, it's always the same vice.

Thanks for the info Sean, but next time if you don't like the thread, choose to look away rather then punish. Many of us like to fantasize about what will come.

g
It's his information, sir, if he'd rather leave it to our imaginations, then that's his freakin' right.

Oh, and I forgot to say-
I have five stars, you have two. Fact: My posts are therefore 2.5 times better than yours. Because of this, you will have to reply 2.5 times on general principle to come close to replying to one of my posts. No more, no less.
( Last edited by rampant; Nov 13, 2002 at 01:25 AM. )

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2002, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by beefstu01:
(you still haven't told me how you have your hands on that game for the mac... the leaked alpha was PC).
Yep, there was two different threads on this. I never saw a response in either one of them. Just crickets.
( Last edited by jhunt5247; Nov 13, 2002 at 01:36 AM. )

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2002, 01:29 AM

Nope, there's one for the Mac, too. That figure was 13 frames per second on average at "Fastest."

The same way I'm not telling who my "sources" are, I'm not telling how the person I got the figure from has the software. It's perfectly reasonable. It's entirely your choice on whether to believe what I say is true or not. Given my track record, however, many people do believe I know quite a bit about what I talk about.

I have the game for my PC's in alpha, but I do not have a working Mac copy (yet). If that changes, I might be able to hook you up with one.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2002, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by rampant:

Oh, and I forgot to say-
I have five stars, you have two. Fact: My posts are therefore 2.5 times better than yours. Because of this, you will have to reply 2.5 times on general principle to come close to replying to one of my posts. No more, no less.
I hope you're being sarcastic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules