Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > post ship times on new PBs

post ship times on new PBs (Page 3)
jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by kluau88:

Ordered mine on Wednesday and am told it will ship between November 14 and 18. I guess time will tell.
is your status Being Assembled? I might end up changing my mind and order the Superdrive instead if the combo drives will take as long or close. I don't believe the 1st or 2nd week of December ship dates for the Superdrives is true...well maybe

emerrill
Nov 11, 2002, 04:21 PM

Yeah, but also the estimated ship times are usually wrong. I called yesterday afternoon to ask when they expected it to ship, and they said between the 13th and 17th, then it shipped yesterday night

Mage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 04:23 PM

well, i ordered my powerbook (1GHz/1GB/60GB/Combo) through the apple online store on thursday early evening, eastern time, approx 2PM Pacific... review took approx an hour and a half and the next day my extra battery and case shipped, i called apple this morning and was told that my powerbook would be "through the door" on the 15th. Not as soon as I expected, but at least i'm not getting estimates of the 18th or later as i've seen others receive who've ordered before myself ... We'll see...

Mike

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 04:37 PM

I ordered my 1GHz/1GB/60GB/Combo Wednesday afternoon and it's in Alaska right now, hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday with the 2 day express.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 04:39 PM

Yes so estimated ship times can be flaky. Im assuming these are for ADC orders like mine or just regular orders?

kluau88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 08:35 PM

Is everyone's package coming from Taipei. I asked a general question regarding origin shipping on the new Powerbooks and was told they're being shipped from Elk Grove, CA.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 08:36 PM

TW then Alaska is how it's been for me whenever I ordered from apple.com

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 08:39 PM

Sigh. PowerBook didn't clear customs today. I'm going to revise my arrival estimates to Thursday or Friday at the earliest . If it were going to arrive Wednesday, I think it would have had to clear today.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 08:42 PM

Is everyone's package coming from Taipei. I asked a general question regarding origin shipping on the new Powerbooks and was told they're being shipped from Elk Grove, CA.
My 400MHz G4 PowerBook came from Taiwan through AK, too. Waited for ever in customs because of missing or improper paperwork.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 09:11 PM

No new updates, I thought FedEx was working today?

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
No new updates, I thought FedEx was working today?
FedEx is, but apparently the U.S. Customs Service may not have been. A FedEx person told me yesterday that customs would be open today and there should be no delay. Another told me this morning that there was a chance that my package would pass through today. But the FedEx guy I just talked to backed off both of those earlier statements and said that customs was closed today.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 09:43 PM

So can anyone specualte when the shipping actually begins? Is it after customs or a certain US desitnation? Like when will my 2 day shipping actaully start? Tomorrow, Wednesday?

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 09:55 PM

I called FexEx to ask, but the Direct Distribution folks had closed for the night. The FedEx website lists IP Direct Distribution (The method used by Apple) as generally having a delivery time of 2-4 business days.

Since the books weren't sent by International Next Day, First, or Priority, I would assume that it would be two days (at least, but two seems like a good number) after it clears customs.

garyj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 10:55 PM

I seems that a majority of people in this discussion seem to be going with the 1Ghz with Combo drive.

I would have thought that the Superdrive would be the drive of choice. I understand it is a slower version that the one in iMac G4's and G4 Towers, but it's still a SUPERDRIVE. That's what makes this new TiBook the coolest thing around.

Just wondering

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 11:16 PM

I was motivated by a couple of things -
1) Wanted to get the 'book soonest - looks to be moot as the local Apple Store says they'll have the superdrive PowerBooks early next week.
2) Save money. As cool as 5GB of write once removable media is, I don't really need it.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 11:59 PM

For fun, I tracked my PowerBook using FedEx's automated phone tracking system. FWIW (and that may not be much), it gave a scheduled delivery date of Thursday before 10:30AM.

What can I say? It's a dull TV night

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 12:10 AM

1. I didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks.
2. I'd never use the DVD burning ability, I hardly ever burn stuff to CDR or RW.

Originally posted by garyj:
I seems that a majority of people in this discussion seem to be going with the 1Ghz with Combo drive.

I would have thought that the Superdrive would be the drive of choice. I understand it is a slower version that the one in iMac G4's and G4 Towers, but it's still a SUPERDRIVE. That's what makes this new TiBook the coolest thing around.

Just wondering
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 12:45 AM

Just wondering
I got the superdrive model. It sucks waiting, but the 'ole iBook will just have to hold me over.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 12:47 AM

Just wondering
Well, I already have a dual gig/superdrive and my wife has the superdrive imac. I didn't need a 3rd superdrive

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by justinkim:
For fun, I tracked my PowerBook using FedEx's automated phone tracking system. FWIW (and that may not be much), it gave a scheduled delivery date of Thursday before 10:30AM.

I got the same, so at least I know now, thanks for the tip. What's your shipping method? I paid for 2 day, just want to make sure I'm getting an express shippment.

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 12:54 AM

Just wondering
Reasons why I chose combo:

1) Ridiculous wait time for Superdrives
2) Slow 1x write
3) I'll wait for an option in the near future to updgrade to a faster Superdrive just like what happened with the Combo drives last time.
4) Although it is a really cool thing to have, I don't really have much use for DVD-Rs except for archiving. I'll take the extra $160 and bought me a cool SpireUsa Icon Ti G4 backpack to protect it and get some change.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 01:00 AM

I got the same, so at least I know now, thanks for the tip. What's your shipping method? I paid for 2 day, just want to make sure I'm getting an express shippment.
I think the 2-day shipping option may only be for orders whose shipping origin is in the USA. IIRC, when I placed my phone order I was offered 'expedited shipping,' not 2-day.

Did anyone here not opt for extra $15 shipping option? I'd be interested to know what shipping option pops up in on the FedEx tracking page.

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 01:10 AM

I think the 2-day shipping option may only be for orders whose shipping origin is in the USA. IIRC, when I placed my phone order I was offered 'expedited shipping,' not 2-day.

Did anyone here not opt for extra $15 shipping option? I'd be interested to know what shipping option pops up in on the FedEx tracking page.
2Day for me. Im in California

kluau88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 02:03 AM

Just wondering
I looked at it this way.

1) I don't use iMovie which benefits from DVD's.
2) CD's are more readily available and cost efficient for the time being.

kluau88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 05:25 AM

It's on the way! As I'm cleaning out my closet and throwing out piles of old Macworld magazines and other computer junk I decide to see if anything has been updated on my powerbook and Voila! The Fedex site doesn't have the tracking info yet, but I guess I'll see where it's coming from and when I'll get it. Ahhh Christmas in November! Why do I think this weekend isn't gonna be productive at all.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 07:58 AM

Isn't it always? That's what powerbooks are for. TV is just so boring - I'm just supposed to sit there and watch it? Right.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 08:03 AM

1) I don't use iMovie which benefits from DVD's.
2) CD's are more readily available and cost efficient for the time being.
Yeah, but this is changing quickly. I was checking out www.rima.com

You can get 50 DVDs on a spindle for say $60. Thats 235 GB! (versus ~32GB for 50 CDs). I've never seen 50 CDs ceaper than $5, on special at microcenter. Even at that firesale price, DVDs are rapidly approaching the price point of CDs.

Man, I remember when CDs where a couple bucks a pop, and then the great day when they finaly started shipping them in bulk on spindles.

TobyX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 09:43 AM

I ordered the SuperDrive model through the German Apple Store. Still waiting, of course.

Apple Europe uses TNT express shipping on all orders, no fees on orders exceeding 348 EUR.
Soylent green is people.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 10:03 AM

Mine now says:
Held at Sort FacilityINDIANAPOLIS IN 11/12/2002 04:38 _
Package statusINDIANAPOLIS IN
11/12/2002 04:18 _Held, cleared customs after aircraft departed
Held? Let's get these bad boys moving!
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

YeLordWindsor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 10:24 AM

After reading your message I decided to give the phone tracking system a shot. My scheduled delivery date was also Thursday before 10:30AM! I chose regular ground shipping, rather than expedited.
Switched from Apple->PC: Fall 1992
Switched from PC->Mac: Nov. 2002
TiBook - 1Ghz - 1GB RAM - 60GB - Combo Drive

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
Mine now says:

Hey... What Ti did you order by the way???
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
Mine now says:

Yeah no kidding. US Customs better get their *** in gear today, and get those packages out in a timely fashion or heads are going to roll.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 10:47 AM

Expedited seems like a waste of money, then. I paid for it, but I'm also listed as Thursday before 1030am. And I'm in Illinois, which isn't exactly -far- from Indianapolis...where it is currently sitting, still.

Christina
Originally posted by YeLordWindsor:

After reading your message I decided to give the phone tracking system a shot. My scheduled delivery date was also Thursday before 10:30AM! I chose regular ground shipping, rather than expedited.
( Last edited by Christina; Nov 12, 2002 at 12:30 PM. )

emerrill
Nov 12, 2002, 12:17 PM

w00t... I get mine in a few hours, it is listed as on truck, out for delivery. Mine only shipped sunday night from tiawan. it spent less than a dday in customs.

kluau88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by emerrill:
w00t... I get mine in a few hours, it is listed as on truck, out for delivery. Mine only shipped sunday night from tiawan. it spent less than a dday in customs.
Mine just left Taiwan yesterday and Fedex is saying I'll get it tomorrow. However it's destination is Indianpolis, so unless they're sending it overnight from Indy, tomorrow's estimate is wishful thinking.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 01:13 PM

Mine missed the plane out of Indianapolis, too. FedEx people tell me that it will move out today for delivery tomorrow.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 01:34 PM

Mine is being held in Indy too. If it leaves tomorrow then i guess I'll get it Thursday as the automated service said. Not sure why it can't leave Indy tonight and be here tomorrow morning

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 01:38 PM

Mine is being held in Indy too. If it leaves tomorrow then i guess I'll get it Thursday as the automated service said. Not sure why it can't leave Indy tonight and be here tomorrow morning
when did you place your order, just wondering. Did you use any discounts like Apple Developer or Student?

BlueStorm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 01:38 PM

They tried to deliver mine at 8:34a.m. this morning CDT. I checked the website this morning..and it hadn't even left Taiwan..suddenly it was almost delivered..go figure.

Hopefully, I can pick it up after 4:30p.m. today when the truck gets back.

BS.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 01:48 PM

Ok, called FedEx again and got a supervisor this time. Everyone whose PowerBook started moving on the 9th missed the first plane out of Taiwan. This pushed the commit date countdown start day for delivery to Monday, causing the automated systems to say that delivery is scheduled for Thursday.

However, despite missing the plane again this morning, the supervisor assured me that (my package at least) should move out today and be delivered tomorrow.

Mage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 01:59 PM

Looks like mine was sent this morning my time, called fedex's automated tracking system to get a scheduled delievery date and got friday before 10:30am

Arrived at FedEx RampTA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/12/2002 22:52 _
Left FedEx Origin LocationTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/12/2002 17:52 _
Pickup statusTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/12/2002 17:41 _Package received after FedEx

Paid the extra 20 dollars for the 2nd day shipping... but as long as it gets here before the weekend i'm happy

Mike

emerrill
Nov 12, 2002, 02:00 PM

Well I have mine. So to recap times. I ordered it early morning weds. It shipped sunday night, and it got here(norther mich) by 1pm tuesday.

its a 1GHz 1GB 60GB Combo

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 02:06 PM

Exact same deal here in terms of ordering and shipping dates. But, still lists as sitting in Indianapolis even though I live in Chicago and ordered expedited. OH well, maybe I'll get super lucky and have a note on my door when I get home this PM.

Have fun w/your new TiBook.

Christina
Well I have mine. So to recap times. I ordered it early morning weds. It shipped sunday night, and it got here(norther mich) by 1pm tuesday.

NY152
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 02:25 PM

After you wipe the drool off the keyboard. Could you post us a review of your new 1 GHz PowerBook. Does it scream? Mine is still being assembled as I ordered the SuperDrive.

Thanks.
<over-large signature edited by management>

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Mage:
Looks like mine was sent this morning my time, called fedex's automated tracking system to get a scheduled delievery date and got friday before 10:30am

Arrived at FedEx RampTA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/12/2002 22:52 _
Left FedEx Origin LocationTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/12/2002 17:52 _
Pickup statusTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/12/2002 17:41 _Package received after FedEx

Paid the extra 20 dollars for the 2nd day shipping... but as long as it gets here before the weekend i'm happy

Mike
Ha! Mine says the exact same thing:

Arrived at FedEx RampTA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/12/2002 22:52

YeLordWindsor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 05:52 PM

Did you do expedited or regular shipping?
Switched from Apple->PC: Fall 1992
Switched from PC->Mac: Nov. 2002
TiBook - 1Ghz - 1GB RAM - 60GB - Combo Drive

kluau88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 05:58 PM

I think since the laptop are coming from Taiwan via FedEx International Priority Direct Distribution the ship times are all about the same whether you chose free shipping or expedited. The only case where I believe free vs. exepedited shipping would have made a difference is if the laptops were being shipped from the US directly where there is more variance between the shipping options.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 07:21 PM

Well mine just left Memphis -

Scan Activity Date/Time Comments
Left FedEx Sort FacilityMEMPHIS TN 11/12/2002 15:20

So the phone gives me a Thursday delivery, but I'm about 12 hours away from TN so I'm hoping it makes it here tomorrow morning.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 07:26 PM

Well mine just left Memphis -

Scan Activity Date/Time Comments
Left FedEx Sort FacilityMEMPHIS TN 11/12/2002 15:20

So the phone gives me a Thursday delivery, but I'm about 12 hours away from TN so I'm hoping it makes it here tomorrow morning.
you know u want to go get it now lol

i'm just itchin for my superdrive model...

l�k
iron sharpens iron

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 07:52 PM

Mine's still sitting in Indianapolis. LOL. I could have driven there and back twice in the time its sat there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules