Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Free Up Space On HD?

Free Up Space On HD?
ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2005, 01:55 PM

I got a mac mini in april, and put tiger on it in may. after i downloaded Tiger, i had/have only about 15 gigs of space an i download big files contantly and put them on externals constantly, and don't want to have to transfer constantly, so i want to free up space. i have deleted apps like iDVD because i dont' have a DVD burner and don't have need for one. i have about 4-5 gigs of music also. (before Tiger i had about 30 gigs availible, so i'm confuzzled on why so much space is filled up) any ideas on how to free up space?
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

esXXI
Senior User
Sep 24, 2005, 02:40 PM

Try downloading WhatSize, it's a neat app that indexes and then shows you what things are taking up the most space on your HDD - it's great for remembering to delete application support folders for apps you no longer use.

There's also Monolingual for removing languages you never use.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2005, 03:08 PM

since you have an external i'd just recommend backing up your key stuff and doing a clean, custom install. wipe the drive and start fresh with only the bits you want. you can save something like 6gb or more this way over a default install.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2005, 03:12 PM

When you installed Tiger, did you use the "archive and install" feature? Since you mention losing a lot of space after the Tiger install, I can't help but wonder if your archived system is still on the hard drive.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2005, 03:40 PM

when i got the upgrade DVD, i think i picked the default thing i'm not sure. (to esXXi) i'm going to ownload it right now, thanks!

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2005, 07:41 PM

Hey everyone, i just did an erase/custom reinstall and didn't install any of the languages except for english and didn't install any of the printer drivers. i now have about 30 gigs free ( i have all the ilife apps now) and my system feels so much more zippy! (considering it is a 4200 RPM drive) I backed up Photoshop elements and all my contacts and music onto my ipod and it is trasnferring as we speak! thanks for the help everyone!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 07:05 AM

Hi does anyone know how much space the default config for an ibook running 10.4 is? Reason I ask is I am about to buy a refurb ibook - previous gen with 30 gig HD - and i wondered how much of the precious 30 gig would actually be left after using some of it for the bare essentials aka OSX.

Any help is greatly appreciated
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
I got a mac mini in april, and put tiger on it in may. after i downloaded Tiger, i had/have only about 15 gigs of space an i download big files contantly and put them on externals constantly, and don't want to have to transfer constantly, so i want to free up space. i have deleted apps like iDVD because i dont' have a DVD burner and don't have need for one. i have about 4-5 gigs of music also. (before Tiger i had about 30 gigs availible, so i'm confuzzled on why so much space is filled up) any ideas on how to free up space?
Thats the punishment for using a pirated OS X version!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Hi does anyone know how much space the default config for an ibook running 10.4 is? Reason I ask is I am about to buy a refurb ibook - previous gen with 30 gig HD - and i wondered how much of the precious 30 gig would actually be left after using some of it for the bare essentials aka OSX.

Any help is greatly appreciated

My daughter's iBook, after I got it set up with OS 10.4 and all the apps she needed for school/fun (iLife, iWork, Word, Appleworks, Photoshop, AIM & a couple others) had about 15 gig open.

You'll definitely want to do the custom install without extra languages or printer drivers, and then after you've got everything installed, you might still run Monolingual or Delocalizer after that-- it could still save you some space.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules