Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Matrix DVD Macintosh?

Matrix DVD Macintosh?
ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2006, 11:07 PM

I just bought the Matrix DVD and stuck it in my Mac to watch it tonight. But, after I inserted the disk on my Mac Mini AND iBook, it opened DVD Player, and started making a noise as if I was burning or importing a CD. Then, the video stuttered continuously, making it completely unwatchable. Anyone know why? Is it an isolated issue on Macs? What can I do to make it better?
HELP!
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2006, 10:45 AM

It may be an issue with that title (but since it's old and popular I would have expected to have heard of it before now if so), or it may be a damaged disc. Does it have any scratches or smudges on the bottom? Does it play in other computers? Does it play with VLC? Can you rip the DVD with a decrypter like Mac the Ripper?

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 11:48 AM

I don't see any smudges or scratches on the bottom of the disk, and I don't have another computer around the house to play it on (I'm at my dad's and he's on a business trip, with his working laptop, and the only other windows computer in the house has a blue screen of death on it! I haven't tried VLC or Mac The Ripper, I should do that though. Thanks for the tip! I'll keep you updated and see if it works.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 12:44 PM

It's working using VLC! Anyone know why DVD Player doesn't like it?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2006, 01:43 PM

It could be that the disc is slightly damaged resulting in a slow transfer rate, but VLC buffers enough more data at a time to hide the effect. Or it could be a bug in Apple's MPEG2 decoder or VOB parser. You might try booting into OS 9 and seeing if that version of DVD Player fares any better. Also ripping the DVD and playing the VIDEO_TS folder would be able to at least tell you if it's a hardware or software problem.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 07:11 PM

I don't have enough space on my HD to install OS 9. But i will rip it overnight!

zmcgill
Jun 4, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
I don't have enough space on my HD to install OS 9. But i will rip it overnight!
An OS 9 install will take about as much space as a DVD rip...At most 500 megs, and there's no way you should be using your computer with less than 500 megs free...

Forum Links
Forum Rules