Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Coin-op arcade machines

Coin-op arcade machines
denim
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 03:06 PM

Does anyone else here have full sized arcade equipment? I'm talkin' 'bout video games and pinball and such.

I have a Mappy and a Joust at this time, and in the past I've had Spy Hunter, Ms. PacMan, Xevious, and a few others.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Bockie
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 03:18 PM

When I have enough time/money, I'm going to create my own virtual arcade like I saw on Wheel of Fortune. It's a single arcade unit but is really just a computer/monitor with lots of emulators/ROMs in it. The top console has the usual joystick and buttons, as well as a keyboard and mouse in a hide-away console.

Who would have thought that such a cool idea would come from such a cheesy gameshow?
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2002, 03:20 PM

Man, I'd love to have a certain full-size, standup arcade machine.

Dragon Spirit. God, I miss that game.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

denim  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by G Barnett:
<STRONG>Dragon Spirit.</STRONG>
Depending on where you live, you may be able to find it at auction.

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2002, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by G Barnett:
<STRONG>Man, I'd love to have a certain full-size, standup arcade machine.

Dragon Spirit. God, I miss that game.

G Barnett</STRONG>

honey, i'd love to have anything that was full-sized and could stand up.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2002, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by denim:
<STRONG>

Depending on where you live, you may be able to find it at auction.</STRONG>
Yeah over x-mas my cousin and I looked into getting a full size version of Smash TV and they are out there to be found. But its getting it to your house and finding space thats a problem.

By the way Bockie, didnt they just release an arcade size control console with all the old school joy stick controls with a USB connection? I thought i saw one on some tech show. That would be ideal and easy for the rig you want to make. Let us know if you make one.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Bockie
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
<STRONG>By the way Bockie, didnt they just release an arcade size control console with all the old school joy stick controls with a USB connection? I thought i saw one on some tech show. That would be ideal and easy for the rig you want to make. Let us know if you make one.</STRONG>
Unfortunately, it will one of my "projects" that my wife hates so much. The ones that sit in a corner of the room, unfinished, due to late nights at work...Much to my wife's ire.

By the time I actually can work on such a task, we'll have 16cpu 5THz G12s...that or the elusive G5.
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by denim:
<STRONG>Does anyone else here have full sized arcade equipment? I'm talkin' 'bout video games and pinball and such.

I have a Mappy and a Joust at this time, and in the past I've had Spy Hunter, Ms. PacMan, Xevious, and a few others.</STRONG>
You *had* a Spy Hunter arcade!?!?!?!? *is soooo bloody jealous* What happened to it??!

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Jim Paradise ]

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 08:46 PM

Spy Hunter kicked ass

So did Galaga, Defender, and Joust
*empty space*

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Mar 28, 2002, 09:05 PM

Among my favorite's from my mall-rat/arcade-rat "daze" are Dig-Dug, Xevious, Dragons Lair, Space Ace and Dragons Lair II Time Warp. These were the ones I spent insane amounts of money on to "master".

Others I also enjoyed were Marble Madness, Crystal Castle, Tetris, Tron, Defender, Robotron, Pole Position (1 and 2)

Sh_t there were just too many. I haven't been to my old hang-out since like the early 90's, but they're still in business, and the current equivalent of stoners/head-bangers/metal-heads still congregate there and roam around the Mall

Mike

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2002, 09:25 PM

A full size sounds nice. Maybe I'll get one one day when I'm rich and famous

Until then, MacMame will do.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2002, 10:00 PM

I have a '78 cocktail cabinet (sit down) which was originally Space Invaders II but is currently Time Pilot (or Space Pilot as this board is called).

Hmm. Japanese Engrish vely good!

Cellery
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 10:07 PM

I nabbed a couple of arcade machines 2 years ago when one of the nearby arcades closed up shop and had a massive sale. I really wanted to buy a Skeeball machine, but that wouldn't have fit anywhere in the house. I picked up a classic Street Fighter II and a Killer Instinct machine for chump change. The 1P joysticks are shot and the screens show significant burn-in, but a little TLC should get them back into tip-top shape. Probably my summer project.

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Cellery ]

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2002, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>I nabbed a couple of arcade machines 2 years ago when one of the nearby arcades closed up shop and had a massive sale. I really wanted to buy a Skeeball machine, but that wouldn't have fit anywhere in the house. I picked up a classic Street Fighter II and a Killer Instinct machine for chump change. The 1P joysticks are shot and the screens show significant burn-in, but a little TLC should get them back into tip-top shape. Probably my summer project.

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Cellery ]</STRONG>
And how much did they cost? I would love to get some systems at some point in my life, unless they are all long gone by the time I can afford it.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2002, 12:26 AM

My cabinet cost US$100 as is (fully working). It's the cards that get expensive (ie: Galaga costs heaps). Get 'em while you can.

Oops. Shhhh. Pretend I never said that.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2002, 01:52 AM

About 5 years ago I was VERY active in looking for that ONE videogame that I'd like in my house. I never found it simply because I couldn't decide on ONE. It was going to be all or none with me.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

denim  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2002, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
<STRONG>You *had* a Spy Hunter arcade!?!?!?!? *is soooo bloody jealous* What happened to it??! </STRONG>
Sold it after it broke and I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

denim  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2002, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
<STRONG>My cabinet cost US$100 as is (fully working). It's the cards that get expensive (ie: Galaga costs heaps).</STRONG>
Galaga and Ms. PacMan are still out there making money. Operators kinda like them as a result.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2002, 12:04 PM

Dang, I envy you guys. I live in a room that I can harly fit my iBook in after I wedge myself in there, let alone an arcade macine! I use MacMAME alot, it's a lot of fun!

www.macmame.org
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules