Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who has the best job?

Who has the best job?
denim
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 05:24 PM

Mine is pretty darn good.

I am a system manager in a group of system managers. We answer questions and handle problems. Management is fairly good and generally clueful, with one or two exceptions. It's gotten better since I've been here!
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by denim:
Mine is pretty darn good.

I am a system manager in a group of system managers. We answer questions and handle problems. Management is fairly good and generally clueful, with one or two exceptions. It's gotten better since I've been here!
I have been searching for over six months, and I haven't been able to find any job at all. So, not me.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:

I have been searching for over six months, and I haven't been able to find any job at all. So, not me.
I work in a photo lab along with various other responsibilititieiis... so not me.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2002, 05:49 PM

My job kicks ass!

Unfortunatly I can't tell you what it is.

Just trust me.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2002, 05:54 PM

Oohh ... ME ME ME, I have the best job !!

Originally posted by Anomalous:

After clearing out all my debts, paying off everything (well, I rent so I haven't paid off a house or anything) and saving a few bucks ... I left my job 3 months ago and am only just now starting to look for another. My "job" for the last three months has been: Taking trips, hanging out at the beach, going out on dates, posting on these forums, and going deeper into MacOS 10.2 (my most recent highlight being broadcasting an MP3 stream to one of the gals I'm seeing using QT streaming server). Yeah, its a tough life . Gonna suck that first day back at work. Don't hate me though .. over the last .6.5 years, I've typically worked 50 -65 hrs per week (plus commuted almost an hour EACH WAY every day) ... it was time for a break.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 05:59 PM

STUDENNNNTTTTTT!!!!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Oct 30, 2002, 06:04 PM

I only work when I'm home from school, but I love love love my job. I work at a golf course, and it's the easiest thing ever. I just answer the phones, talk on AIM, and talk with the cute old people. I also get to teach little kids how to golf...that is a lot of fun. Plus, they pay for all my meals...it's a wonder they aren't bankrupt.
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2002, 06:05 PM

This guy:

I need a job. Anyone looking for a graphic artist? Seriously, I'm poor.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by DaKiwi2788:
I just answer the phones, talk on AIM, and talk with the cute old people.
Cute as in shriveled and prune-like, right? Right?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 06:10 PM

whats wrong with liking a little maturity !?!?!

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Oct 30, 2002, 06:13 PM

Hey now! No attacks like that. Cute as in they throw money at me (no, not like that either) and send me Christmas cards and show me pictures of all there grandkids.
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

denim  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 06:14 PM

Hey now! No attacks like that. Cute as in they throw money at me (no, not like that either) and send me Christmas cards and show me pictures of all there grandkids.
Have you tried dating any of the grandkids?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 06:19 PM

How the hell do you get to know them so well?

also are the grand kids hot?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2002, 06:29 PM

I agree that student is the best job one can have, although te pay sucks.

When I'm not learnign I work with my dad as a Carpenter. I get tones of fresh air, I work my ass off all day, and I learn all sorts of useful tricks a tips on buidling things. So once I get my own house I am all set with repairs, hell I could basically build my whole house (with help of course).

Also I make 15 bucks an hour, 40 hour weeks. You do the math.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 06:31 PM

I love my job very much although it may be little stressed for me sometime. But hell, I'm enjoying working at home and eating a pretzel dipped in Nutella at same time!

My job? Look below

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 06:54 PM

I am a Graphic Designer for a very large athletics company (with emphasis on shoes <wink wink>). It's a cushy job. Great facilities. Best state in the country. And good job security in knowing this company isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Although, they could can my ass anytime they choose. I love having a job in an industry that Macs pretty much dominate. Never forced to work on a PC.

Plaides
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2002, 08:39 PM

I do nothing all day... every day...
Acually I waste my time learning useless information in highschool...
~plaid...

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2002, 08:54 PM

I'm the in-house general purpose IT bitch and lightbulb-changer/copier refiller for a 55 person design firm. It's a cool place - very flexible working hours, nice paycheck, catered lunch, and (as long as I keep the G4's ticking over) about two hours playing 8-man team Halo on the xBox every day. My co-workers are all really cool, and business is booming. Prove me wrong, but I think that's pretty unbeatable
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2002, 09:03 PM

How is this even a question?

Hef' has the best job.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 09:07 PM

MMMmmmm Twins

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
How is this even a question?

Hef' has the best job.
I used to drink with a bloke who was a Penthouse photographer.

He used to bring the models to the bar.

He was pretty popular.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 10:09 PM

While I'm doing time here in Indiana waiting for Nicole to finish her Masters, I'm working at one of the two large direct-mail cd clubs. The one that isn't BMG

I just do customer service. It's pretty cake, the people who call are generally nice. And when people return CDs, company policy is not to sell them again, so employees can go to the company store and score these return seconds. $3 for a CD and $7 for a DVD. It's quite the hook-up. Plus I won a Slinky in a workshop today, so you can't sneeze at that.

--Josh

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 10:19 PM

I work as an Apple Solutions Consultant, which means I get to sell Apple products! NaNaaaNaNaNaaaa!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2002, 10:21 PM

Hugh Hefner has the best job.

Done.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by starman:

Done.

Mike
I second that

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 10:59 PM

I'll put in a vote for Steve Jobs!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
While I'm doing time here in Indiana waiting for Nicole to finish her Masters, I'm working at one of the two large direct-mail cd clubs. The one that isn't BMG

I just do customer service. It's pretty cake, the people who call are generally nice. And when people return CDs, company policy is not to sell them again, so employees can go to the company store and score these return seconds. $3 for a CD and $7 for a DVD. It's quite the hook-up. Plus I won a Slinky in a workshop today, so you can't sneeze at that.

--Josh
oh my DVD collection would double in months, My dad worked a LL Beans for a couple of years, and he always went to the employee store, 30 bucks for a 450 dollar tent, 15 for a 0 Degree mummy bag, needless to say we are compleatly set to climb Mt Mckinley

Siddhartha
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
I am a Graphic Designer for a very large athletics company (with emphasis on shoes <wink wink>). It's a cushy job. Great facilities. Best state in the country. And good job security in knowing this company isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Although, they could can my ass anytime they choose. I love having a job in an industry that Macs pretty much dominate. Never forced to work on a PC.
I know a girl who works at a shoe maker in Beaverton. Also as a graphic designer. Also a Mac user. Maybe you know her? Maybe you are her?

swoosh

Do you drive a VW?
Yeah, Jesus saves! Gretzky scores! The workers slave. The rich get more.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 11:41 PM

I need a job

Otherwise my job is to sit around posting in the forums all day while studying inbetween.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Cipher13
Oct 31, 2002, 12:20 AM

I work in a high tech co-ed high school. Sysadmin.

All Macs (few Novell servers, one Linux) - OS9 at the moment.

It just plain rocks

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2002, 12:21 AM

I'm an Olympic-level athlete by day, but the pay sucks, so in the evenings I play with Macs and stop college kids from seriously damaging any of the video editing equipment.

I like where I sit But it's NOT as cool as Hef's job.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2002, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by starman:

Done.

Mike
Yeah dude, you are a little slow.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2002, 12:32 AM

Not me.

I love the part of my job that actually involves taking care of people (especially the kids) and helping them get over illness or help keep them from getting sick....

But the dealings with the idiot insurance companies, the beaurocracy that the government continually inflicts, and the constant threat of frivolous lawsuits drummed up by "ambulance chaser"-type lawyers nearly nullifies any joy I get from the actual practice of medicine.

I would never encourage my children to go into this field.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2002, 01:24 AM

My job is probably the best. I substitute teach at my old high school. So basically I get to shoot the sh�t with my friends' younger siblings while they pretend to read or "work" on Math assignments that will copy from their friends after school. When I'm bored I draw, surf the MacNN forums, play games on my Handspring, or read. It is also fun to blow off the really hot girls when they try to flirt (note that these are the same type of girls who used to give me grief and diss me when I was in school). Revenge is so sweet when served cold.

To top it all off, I get paid for all this

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2002, 01:46 AM

It sure isn't me.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Hinson
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2002, 01:56 AM

Well, I don't know about the best job, but I do LOVE my job:

I'm a research analyst at a government sponsored think tank. I've been with them for just about a year now. I've worked to model southwest border enforcement for the INS, I've done flight analysis work for the FAA, and early next year I'll be going out on an aircraft carrier for about a week or so to perform data gathering and analysis during a Naval exercise. Basically, I get paid to think about and analyze interesting, complex problems.

Alas, it's a Windows world in this type of organization, but no job is perfect, right?

-Jay

Coyote IX9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2002, 02:02 AM

O ya

I am one of the guys that goes out and takes spy shots for those peeping internet sites. My job is kinda like Heff's except I get to see fat people naked too.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2002, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Coyote IX9:
O ya

I am one of the guys that goes out and takes spy shots for those peeping internet sites. My job is kinda like Heff's except I get to see fat people naked too.
Cash would LOVE to have your job. He likes fat people.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2002, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:

Cash would LOVE to have your job. He likes fat people.
LMAO!!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2002, 02:28 AM

I have a really great job right now. I just started last Monday (Oct 21). I work here, Sunterra Market. I'm just a produce clerk, stocking the department with all the veggies and fruits etc. What makes the job great is the management and the other people that I work with. My dept. has 3 or 4 people there everyday, so we get to hang out and help customers. It's actually really rewarding. It's a family owned small chain that really does good for our community and environment as well. I'm quite happy. I was bored and out of work for months. It wasn't fun.

I worked at a garden center this past spring and the year before too, called Sunnyside, and that was also fun for most of the same reasons. I don't work a whole lot, I'm just doing this to keep me busy and save money for Pearl Jam concerts and stuff. I'm still in the middle of post secondary, taking some time off to figure things out.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Oct 31, 2002, 03:53 AM

Well, it's not me!

I'm a system developer - a windows developer that is.... It's a great place to work, pool-tabel, playstation and a super lunch every day. There ain't a single mac around, except my iPod, so sometimes it can be hard...
I would love to work at developing mac applications, I just don't know where to go....

Jens Peter

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2002, 04:20 AM

I might very well have the best job there is: none.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2002, 08:17 AM

I am the resident Mac geek here:
www.ll.mit.edu
If it's broke, I fix it. If a solution is needed , I suggest it. I have fun. Commute sucks, though. 50miles each way.
It's fun. I get da toyz.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2002, 08:30 AM

I own my own business, and this year, business is good. As such, I am "the person in charge of technology purchases."

There's nothing as gut-wrenching as an irate customer refusing an order, or a big tech company's bookkeeping dept. blowing off your invoice month after month just because they can (don't EVER EVER print for Microsoft) but when you get that 6 foot by 6 foot "THANK YOU!" poster drawn by the entire first grade at the elementary school, you can feel kind of warm and fuzzy.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2002, 09:12 AM

After I finished school I went to Europe and decided to stay. I found work doing tech support at in International Organization here in Paris. OK salary, good benefits, (no income tax )
Cut. Print it. I'm happy.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2002, 09:31 AM

My problem is I'm soon to be 33 years old and don't even know what the hell it is I wanna do when I grow up. I have been (in order since college):

1. Local TV news producer ('91 - '96)
2. Local TV sports producer ('96 - '98)
3. Megaplex movie theatre manager ('98 - '00)
4. Airline gate agent ('00 - '01)
5. Casino advertising & promotion manager ('01 - '02)

Now I'm just working part-time after yet another move. Maybe I'm meant to be an underperforming nomad all my life. Am I being punished for crimes committed in a previous life?

I'd beat the "woe is me" drum, but hell, there are still a lot of people worse off. I used to want a job where I could make a difference and blah, blah, blah... But now I just want to get paid.

"What? Just throw the kittens in the machine? Yes sir! When is payday?"
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2002, 10:24 AM

I've got a pretty good job.

Resident Mac expert and manager of multimedia technology support here americanhistory.si.edu. Neat place to work although lots of government bureaucracy. I've been here seven years and have met a lot of interesting, sometimes cool/sometime famous people who come here for programs and lectures.

My two favorite encounters have been with Dr. Wilson Greatbatch, inventor of the implantable cardiac pacemaker, and for the pure geek-factor,Dr. Douglas Engelbart, inventor of the computer mouse--He actually brought the first one he made with him to the interview.

The pya is pretty good for museum work. I amke about 50% more than I would make working for a non-Federal museum. But, I make about 50% less than what I would make working in the private sector.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

denim  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2002, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Plaides:
I do nothing all day... every day...
Acually I waste my time learning useless information in highschool...
Just keep one thing in mind: it's not necessarily the information that's important, but the learning. You've got to learn to learn, and learn to think well. The data you're fed in school is only an example.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2002, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by denim:
Just keep one thing in mind: it's not necessarily the information that's important, but the learning. You've got to learn to learn, and learn to think well. The data you're fed in school is only an example.
Ah, well stated denim. A fact so simple yet so easy to overlook. Thanks.

denim  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by GRAFF:

Ah, well stated denim. A fact so simple yet so easy to overlook. Thanks.
Thanks.

What I'd like to hear about is what would happen if a high school history student went out and found an unexpergated version of the history his class was covering, as opposed to the version in their "approved" text book, and did a report on it for the class. I'd want to see the faces of the teacher and the other kids. And probably the principle's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules