Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > 15" AlBook Rev A, DVD drive upgrade

15" AlBook Rev A, DVD drive upgrade
docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 03:01 PM

(Note: I have posted this in the Powerbook Forum already, but I believe it would be more relevant here)

I've recently dropped my Powerbook on concrete. While most of the system is working, the Slot-in drive is dented. A direct Apple replacement will cost me approximately CD$400 for a combo and CD$800 for a Superdrive.

By suggestion of the macshop that will do the repairs, I've been looking around for alternatives and have come accross this:
http://www.dfwdepot.com/osc/product_...roducts_id=139

This is the Superdrive that is used in the latest 15" Albook. I am not sure about the "-B" designation, but the dimensions seem to match the other slot-in drives.

I'm wondering whether I will be able to use this drive in Powerbook without any problems. Will I need any special or modified drivers?

Thanks,

docholiday
( Last edited by docholiday; May 5, 2004 at 03:10 AM. )
Powerbook 15.2" G4 1.5Ghz
1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm
4GB iPod Mini, Rev 2, Green

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 5, 2004, 01:17 AM

That URL is gobbledygook.

But anyway, there's no reason a non-Apple drive shouldn't work: Apple buys them from Panasonic, just like everyone else. If it's the same model number, it should fit.

tooki

docholiday  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
That URL is gobbledygook.

But anyway, there's no reason a non-Apple drive shouldn't work: Apple buys them from Panasonic, just like everyone else. If it's the same model number, it should fit.

tooki
Thanks for pointing the URL thing out, it's fixed now. I'm glad there won't be a problem. Also, I found out today that the macstore might start carrying that drive themselves so yea.
Powerbook 15.2" G4 1.5Ghz
1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm
4GB iPod Mini, Rev 2, Green

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 10:31 AM

make sure there is an apple compatible firmware available for the drive, or you may not be able to use it with apps like iMovie, or even burning through the finder.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2004, 07:01 AM

The -B you refer to makes me think you are talking about a Matshita UJ-815 series drive. The B version should be fine. You can flash the firmware later if needs be.

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download2.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules